Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 5th October 2021, 19:09     #1081
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
So Russia-gate was a complete fabrication courtesy of Hillary (of course). If this becomes common knowledge, how will the news organisations that perpetrated this hoax ever recover their audience's trust?
It only becomes common knowledge if they say it on the news. Otherwise blynk refuses to believe it. Pretty simple really.
Old 5th October 2021, 20:29     #1082
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
So Russia-gate was a complete fabrication courtesy of Hillary (of course). If this becomes common knowledge, how will the news organisations that perpetrated this hoax ever recover their audience's trust?
The news organisations are now staffed by bright-eyed young graduates of about five expensive universities. They don’t care about the audience’s trust; they care about demonstrating their ideological purity.
Old 6th October 2021, 09:27     #1083
Cyberbob

Is this the place to ask what news organisations people do trust?

I lean towards Reuters & Aljazeera in an attempt to get impartial international news, which I don't tend to get from any US agency, and I'm putting BBC more & more into that category too.
Old 6th October 2021, 11:27     #1084
Nich

I tend to trust individual journalists & subject matter experts. It's easier for them to demonstrate integrity, clearly state their principles. Also they have more to lose if they mislead their audience, especially if their brand is "trustworthy news source".
Old 6th October 2021, 12:14     #1085
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I’m a former paying subscriber of the NYT and the Wapo; not any more. I may resubscribe to the Wapo because I do miss their US Beltway politics stuff, but definitely not the NYT, that place is the epitome of bright-eyed woke cultists now. I’m a paying subscriber to The Atlantic, Cosmos, and The Spinoff, and I’m almost reading enough at The Spectator to feel too guilty to not cough up money there too. I also pay for Matt Taibbi’s substack and the Sam Harris “Making Sense” and Yascha Mounk “Persuasion” podcasts.

The "leftiest" content I consume would probably be channels like Vox and The Spinoff. The "rightiest" would probably be commentators like Ben Shapiro, occasionally Joe Rogan for an interesting guest.

Update: I realised that most of the above are more commentary and analysis than news. To know what has happened while I was asleep I scan the headlines of Australia's ABC News and Sydney Morning Herald; Stuff, NZH, and RNZ News; occasionally Al-Jazeera.
Old 6th October 2021, 12:55     #1086
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
It only becomes common knowledge if they say it on the news. Otherwise blynk refuses to believe it. Pretty simple really.
Seems a fair approach to information that's extremely abstract from one's own life, information that one isn't in a position to make decisions about in any case.

Not that I don't indulge myself, but I think it's pretty useless getting all worked up over the madness that's US politics. Certainly there's nothing new to learn that we didn't already know 200 years ago.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 6th October 2021 at 12:57.
Old 6th October 2021, 15:17     #1087
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
My comment may have been interpretted wrong, but meh, whatevs.
Old 7th October 2021, 14:17     #1088
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

I'm extremely time-poor.

I subscribe to 'The Week' - UK edition as consuming that over a long breakfast on Sunday morning.

It's a publication that takes excerpts on different news articles on key topics and provides pro/against bias. It's pretty balanced but light reading.

For deeper analysis and insight - Spinoff, Newsroom & internationally I flip between CNN, BBC & Fox. Fox is just there to balance the other guys.
Old 14th October 2021, 14:09     #1089
Lightspeed

Laugh

Old 14th October 2021, 15:25     #1090
The Edge

Sweet, they can choose not to vote then, as per their favourite orange buffoon. Works for me
Old 14th October 2021, 20:18     #1091
blynk

2024:Thats why they lost. Because they did go and vote because of fraud.
No other reason.

Pretty much what he does. Sets "the scene" early to why he will lose
Old 14th October 2021, 20:25     #1092
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That was REAL?!
Old 15th October 2021, 06:41     #1093
StN
I have detailed files

Old 15th October 2021, 11:04     #1094
crocos

One interpretation: First use of "republicans" is the voters, the second use is the politicians. IE: The R. voters won't vote (alluding to Trump's base) unless the R. politicians back Trump's BS. AKA: Back my bullshit or I'll make sure you don't get in to office.
Sauce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xs4ikEXQbo

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 15th October 2021 at 11:06.
Old 15th October 2021, 11:57     #1095
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That was REAL?!
Yes. Yes it was.
https://twitter.com/realLizUSA/statu...82199078719488
Old 15th October 2021, 18:29     #1096
Lightspeed

Laugh

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021...rs-not-to-vote

Vanity Fair has it backwards. They need to lament how Trump's request is ruining their democracy, how people need to ignore Trump.
Old 22nd October 2021, 11:32     #1097
crocos

Woah! I'm signing up for TRUTH and Trump+ immediately! They sound so awesome! They don't sound like concentrated utter failure at all!

Old 11th November 2021, 16:03     #1098
Lightspeed

Is this even real?

http://reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/c...middle_of_the/
Old 7th December 2021, 18:22     #1099
Lightspeed

GOP Rep. Devin Nunes resigns from Congress to become CEO of Trump’s media company

Quote:
Nunes is just the second member of the 117th Congress to resign before the end of his term. If the GOP regains majority control of the House in the 2022 midterm elections, Nunes would have been in line to become chairman of the powerful, tax-writing Ways and Means Committee.
Hope he's getting paid upfront!
Old 7th December 2021, 22:41     #1100
The Edge

He's probably going to pay the guy as often as he pays his lawyer's bill, which is never.
Old 27th December 2021, 18:16     #1101
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Is this the place to ask what news organisations people do trust?

I lean towards Reuters & Aljazeera in an attempt to get impartial international news, which I don't tend to get from any US agency, and I'm putting BBC more & more into that category too.
https://swprs.org/media-navigator/
just found this. 2D matrix of news outlets ranked Left Centre Right on Y axis, and Close to or Distant from big money/power on X axis.

Was pleased to see everyone I follow is in the Centre Distant part of the spectrum.

Last edited by Nich : 27th December 2021 at 18:19.
Old 8th January 2022, 21:51     #1102
The Edge

Rolling eyes

^ another site that spreads propaganda, and the founders and backers are totally unknown. Hardly unbiased.
Old 8th January 2022, 22:30     #1103
fixed_truth

Yeah good to look at bias from those that do the ranking.

Also the relationship to power may be useful in indicating bias but left, center, right is not as truth isn't some median group of ideas.
Old 9th January 2022, 11:07     #1104
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The labels make no sense. Fox News ultra-conservative?
Old 11th January 2022, 16:37     #1105
Nich

We all know Fox (and all left column) is propaganda. Left / right paradigm is no longer relevant. They could be pro or anti [insert issue] it's not at all useful to form a balanced view.

The most important axis is X axis. But they make it easy to see what "news" to ignore: Add to that any member of Trusted News Initiative, any media recipient of the $320 million of Gates' money, and any association with Poynter Group.

Last edited by Nich : 11th January 2022 at 16:38.
Old 11th January 2022, 20:50     #1106
The Edge

Wikipedia is neutral, and I don't believe that the BBC is propaganda. Try OAN or Breitbart if you like that sort of thing.
Old 14th January 2022, 15:19     #1107
Nich

Wikipedia co-founder: I no longer trust the website I created
https://youtu.be/l0P4Cf0UCwU

I admit wikipedia is useful. but I follow this rule of thumb: The more political the subject, the more bullshit the article.

The ideal of wikipedia is perfect for internet native information sharing. Collaborative, peer reviewed, crowd funded, community maintained. It's everything news/information on the internet should be. But wikipedia itself is captured.

Last edited by Nich : 14th January 2022 at 15:23.
Old 14th January 2022, 15:23     #1108
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I would never describe Wikipedia as neutral. It's free and open and anyone can contribute to it. That means it reflects the biases of its contributors, many of whom are exactly the sort of person that you would expect.
Old 14th January 2022, 23:53     #1109
crocos

Yeah, I think I'd trust H2G2 or Everything2 more than much of Wikipedia, because they don't proport to be actually factual.
Heck, some parts of Secure, Contain, Protect seem reasonable some days. As long as you're not Class D personnel.

Old 8th April 2022, 08:03     #1110
The Edge

That's not something I'd regret.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/don...IWP57CXPPAWAU/

also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFUr6Px99aQ
Old 13th April 2022, 20:04     #1111
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Something I don't understand is Kushner's work in the Middle East. Looks like the Qatar blockade is effectively resolved. Along with establishing relations between Israel and various states in the region that have long stood against Israel.

Opposing the boogeyman that is Iran has been the main tool used to achieve these changes from what I can see.

But I don't really get Kushner's angle. Cash is the obvious one, but who would be paying up? Legacy is another, but I never figured Trump and co. cared for an actual legacy when they're so willing to believe whatever they like. Trump will always imagine himself the US's best president in any scenario.

In any case, it can't be denied this administration has had some real impact in the region.
Jared Kushner's deal with Saudi Arabia sure looks corrupt

Quote:
According to The New York Times, a Saudi sovereign wealth fund led by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, often referred to as MBS, invested $2 billion in Kushner’s fledgling private equity firm six months after Trump left office. And it’s blisteringly clear from the details that while MBS’s expenditure did not make financial sense, it made political sense as payback for favorable treatment.
Someone hook a brother up with a cool $2 billion!
Old 10th June 2022, 08:09     #1112
The Edge

The January 6 hearings being today. Maybe, just maybe (finally) Trump - or at least some of his cronies who were in on the whole shameful debacle - will get their just desserts. Reap what you sow, etc.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:03     #1113
Lightspeed

Maybe. Still a lot of people who believe the election was stolen, that the Jan 6 riot was a "leftist plot". That these hearings are a way around due process.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 10th June 2022 at 11:05.
Old 10th June 2022, 12:06     #1114
Lightspeed

Old 10th June 2022, 13:37     #1115
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Maybe. Still a lot of people who believe the election was stolen, that the Jan 6 riot was a "leftist plot". That these hearings are a way around due process.
There's a lot of brainwashed people out there still, believing it was indeed stolen (the dozens of failed court cases Trump tried to get through seem to get passed over by them), when really the whole narrative is nothing more than propaganda designed to serve a far-right echo chamber.
Depressing really.
Old 27th July 2022, 08:42     #1116
Cyberbob

Previously undisclosed communications among Trump campaign aides and outside advisers provide new insight into their efforts to overturn the election in the weeks leading to Jan. 6.

"If you had asked me to hypothesize, for illustrative purposes, a set of emails that prosecutors would find helpful in proving a fake-elector fraud conspiracy, I would not have come up with anything nearly as incriminating as the emails that the Times just reported on today." - George Conway
Old 9th August 2022, 11:45     #1117
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Trump gets raided by the FBI
Old 10th August 2022, 06:53     #1118
blynk

"They even broke into my safe"
Of course they did. What they are going to search your home but decide because the safe is locked they will leave it.
Old 12th August 2022, 08:30     #1119
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

https://twitter.com/Marmel/status/15...enumber%3D3033
Old 13th August 2022, 09:32     #1120
Lightspeed