NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 20th December 2019, 12:27     #681
blynk

If it wasn't so close to the election, I wonder what the odds are that he would be impeached again (or is that not possible).

Could they hold it back until after the next election?
Old 20th December 2019, 14:38     #682
Lightspeed

Mitch McConnell Complains About Democrats Breaking Precedent. Internet Responds: Merrick Garland.

Old 21st December 2019, 14:12     #683
Lightspeed

Trump adviser: Expect more aggressive poll watching in 2020

Quote:
One of President Donald Trump’s top re-election advisers told influential Republicans in swing state Wisconsin that the party has “traditionally” relied on voter suppression to compete in battleground states but will be able to “start playing offense” in 2020 due to relaxed Election Day rules, according to an audio recording of a private event obtained by The Associated Press.
"Democracy"

Related:

Journalist Anne Nelson talks about her book, Shadow Network: Media, Money, and the Secret Hub of the Radical Right.
Old 21st December 2019, 18:31     #684
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

With the current partisan senate Trump would not get convicted. Him not getting convicted would be portrayed as a victory for him. By never actually going to trial Pelosi deprives him of a victory. He is already impeached and that can’t change. And now she is depriving him of being found not guilty. Game.
Old 22nd December 2019, 00:01     #685
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

He's hilarious.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...40210364051456

Can't beat him.
Old 22nd December 2019, 00:02     #686
blynk

I wonder how long she can hold it for?
Wait for just in case he is re-elected and play more games?
Old 22nd December 2019, 00:12     #687
blynk

I feel more than ever, the Democrats need to vote Sanders in.

I think right now the Impeachment will rally people that already are in love with Trump, but if its still hanging around during the election, then Joe Bidens name is going to be dragged into it with his whole Ukraine son thing.
Old 24th December 2019, 13:03     #688
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

“I never understood wind. You know, I know windmills very much... Gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes & everything.”
Old 4th January 2020, 13:49     #689
Lightspeed

Old 5th January 2020, 13:21     #690
Nich

I wish I could say I am glad that as WWIII potentially breaks out my family is safe in a regional town with a strong community around us. But as I type this my baby is asleep in a car full of our belongings, and we can’t return home yet.
Old 6th January 2020, 11:49     #691
Lightspeed

So apparently the Iranians killed were in Iraq for peace talks Trump had organised via the Iraqi PM.

War crimes FTW.
Old 6th January 2020, 12:14     #692
Cyberbob

2019: This can't possibly get worse.

2020: Here's a burning continent and WWIII.
Old 9th January 2020, 08:49     #693
fixed_truth

So Trump backs off now. I wonder if it was anything to do with Iran's anti-aircraft system accidentally shooting down a civilian plane?

Last edited by fixed_truth : 9th January 2020 at 08:51.
Old 9th January 2020, 09:02     #694
pxpx

edit nvm found it
Old 29th January 2020, 16:17     #695
Lightspeed

Trump's Middle East plan proposes Palestinian state with a capital in East Jerusalem

How Israel's election in March goes has the potential to have significant ramifications in the US election.
Old 2nd February 2020, 21:59     #696
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Farrar's commentary is on the money:

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2020/02/i..._now_dead.html

Quote:
So there is no doubt Trump will be “acquitted”. This has significance into the future. I think that the actions of the Republican majority have meant that impeachment is now dead as a remedy for any future President. Nixon resigned from office because there were Republicans willing to remove him from office for his abuses of office. But it impossible to imagine any future President ever having two thirds of the Senate remove them from office, no matter what they do.

I think the partisan divide will have further ramifications also. The next time the same party holds the Presidency, House and Senate I predict the Senate will quickly remove the requirement to get 60 votes to pass legislation. The minority will lose their power, and it will become winner takes all. That will please the party in power, but not be so nice when you’re the party in opposition.

I also suspect we will see other conventions die. Again if one party holds Congress and the Presidency, expect a law change to allow them to appoint more members of the Supreme Court, so they gain a majority.
That's it. The US is structurally broken and can't be fixed.

(usual kiwiblog warning applies, don't read the comments)
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:55     #697
blynk

I figured as soon as the House and Senate are different to the president (not sure how often that actually happens) then there will be an automatic impeachment.
They will find something to impeach them on.

I don't know what it was like during Clintons impeachment, but the fact that the Republicans have turn this into a partisan issue in the senate is a major concern.
Old 3rd February 2020, 16:44     #698
Lightspeed

Lev Parnas releases recording of Trump dinner: Full video

Highlights (not mine):

8:50 Unsaid racial thoughts.

10:30 Crony capitalism discussion.

11:00 Trump shows that he realizes that tariffs are a tax, but completely is clueless as who is paying for it or worse yet the we're he refers to isn't the American tax payer.

15:30 Trump says the cost of middle east wars now totals $7T over the last 18 years.

20:00 More crony capitalism, this time Trump side steps it.

23:55 Trump admits to know the wall is effortless scaled

24:30 Trump talking with his mouth full.

38:55 Beginning of Ukraine discussion, Javelin Missile system comes up and Trump appears to hear for the first time than the Ukraine has oil.

40:10 First time Biden comes up, just a name drop.

42:10 Discussion about Marie Yovanovitch, Lev (I think) is saying she's a Clinton appointee and has to go. He then claims she's saying Trump is about to be impeached, and Trump says she'll be gone tomorrow. Trump then appear to be telling some to just do it, get her out tomorrow.

45:40 Discussion about banking in states that legalized weed, Trump seems to have no opinion.

50:50 More crony capitalism with regards of building a gas pipeline to Turkey.

54:15 A discussion about the 2016 election followed by Trump claiming Obama would have been easier to defeat.

57:30 A big push for natural gas cars and trucks, then claims electric vehicle are failing. Then the typical anti green song and dance. Trump actually seems skeptical.

1:06:50 A push to relax trucking regulations.

1:09:20 Amazon discussion, more of a bashing than anything else.

1:10:55 Driverless truck discussion.

1:12:40 Crazy numerology Jewish messiah discussion.

1:16:10 Trump's closing remarks, nothing of consequence."
Old 4th February 2020, 15:20     #699
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
...there will be an automatic impeachment.
They will find something to impeach them on.
Automatic would be great for efficiency, it took 19 minutes after Trump was sworn in before the campaign to impeach him began, according to the Washington Post, the White House tweeted out. Shave a few minutes off that time, and things will be a lot smoother. /s

The whole Eric Ciaramella [the unnamed whistleblower] saga is not partisan at all, of course.

Four more years!
Old 4th February 2020, 16:08     #700
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus

Four more years!
On this, at least, we agree. Trump may be the most awful person in the world and sign that the United States has failed but he has delivered on the things that people actually care about come election time.
Old 4th February 2020, 16:09     #701
Cyberbob

To paraphase Ben Shapiro, The Democratic candidates largely believe America is rooted in evil and inequality, and how that has never changed, and that the American system must be destroyed from the bottom up.

It's up to you as to whether or not you see this as a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 6th February 2020, 11:10     #702
Lightspeed

Mitt Romney voting to convict. Can't complain about the show of decency, as little as it will achieve.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:04     #703
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Mitt Romney, the guy whom all proper lefties derided as an untrustworthy cultist whose election to the presidency would be the greatest disaster imaginable.

We sweet summer children.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:46     #704
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

...and acquitted.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:54     #705
crocos

^^ Boringly, frustratingly predictable.

I hope he has something happen that causes him to retire.

Good, bad, not fussed really - I just want to see him gone.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th February 2020, 22:10     #706
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Bill Withers weighs in on today's events
Old 6th February 2020, 22:53     #707
fixed_truth

Ouch. Romney coming in with the steel chair is more of a blow than going through the impeachment process. His citing God & his consciousness is a big call out to religious republicans who otherwise probably weren't fazed by trump being impeached.
Old 6th February 2020, 23:53     #708
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Democrats calling in are now vowing never to vote Democrat again on CSPAN after the SOTU address

"Disgusting" etc.

The fact that the Dems turned this into a partisan issue during the SOTU address is a major concern. :P
Old 7th February 2020, 00:58     #709
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Never underestimate the ability of the Democratic Party to fuck things up in the worst way possible.
Old 7th February 2020, 11:19     #710
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Romney:

Quote:
Were I to ignore the evidence that has been presented, and disregard what I believe my oath and the Constitution demands of me for the sake of a partisan end, it would, I fear, expose my character to history’s rebuke and the censure of my own conscience.
Old 7th February 2020, 13:44     #711
blynk

Is he planning on running against trump for the republican nomination
Old 7th February 2020, 13:47     #712
Lightspeed

I don't see the GOP ever running a non-Trump candidate again. Either the GOP collapses, or the US completes its transition away from democracy.
Old 9th February 2020, 22:09     #713
Cyberbob

Having being proved to be immune to all forms of consequence, Trump's now fired all those that had testified before Congress.

‘Friday night massacre’: Experts say Trump firing of 3 officials including Sondland and Vindman is a ‘criminal’ offense

Entirely illegal, but you know, who gives a fuck anymore.
Old 12th February 2020, 17:54     #714
Lightspeed

Seems about right.

Old 12th February 2020, 18:23     #715
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Anyone read James Carville going off the other day?
Old 15th February 2020, 14:11     #716
crocos

J-Law & friends ignoring Trump and instead going after the cause of Trump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfQij4aQq1k

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd February 2020, 02:01     #717
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

US/Taliban truce in place. Peace agreement to be signed on Feb 29th.

He's literally Hitler.

Stop hitting snooze guys, wake up.
Old 2nd March 2020, 12:08     #718
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Republican mega-donor buys stake in Twitter and seeks to oust Jack Dorsey – report
Old 2nd March 2020, 13:11     #719
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
US/Taliban truce in place. Peace agreement to be signed on Feb 29th.

He's literally Hitler.

Stop hitting snooze guys, wake up.
Nothing new here, US has been working with Al Qaeda to topple Assad's regime for probably 10 years or more.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/us-su...a-l_b_10089410
Old 3rd March 2020, 22:47     #720
The Edge

Is it worth starting an American Election 2020 thread (after the primaries finish, maybe)?