Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 2nd July 2016, 16:36     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

ausvotes 2016

'tson like dk. below the line for the senate vote, WHO'S WITH ME?
Old 3rd July 2016, 08:01     #2
fixed_truth

so Turnbull won but he lost & Shorten lost but he won???
Old 3rd July 2016, 17:28     #3
The Edge

I just knew someone would have something to say about this. Pity you can't comment.

http://theaustralianjournal.blogspot...etime-for.html
Old 3rd July 2016, 17:34     #4
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
I just knew someone would have something to say about this. Pity you can't comment.

from that link-

6 – A few people said while I was handing out these flyers, why don’t you become a citizen? You know you can have dual citizenship, to which I replied, that’s not the issue. The issue is the length of time it takes, that you have to earn over $53,900 per annum for five consecutive years

what the fuck kind of rule is that?
Old 3rd July 2016, 17:58     #5
Nothing

Same kind of rule that we used to have in NZ which, roughly, prevented people from voting if they didn't own some land?
Old 3rd July 2016, 21:40     #6
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

CHOKE YOURSELF
Old 3rd July 2016, 22:50     #7
The Edge

You can vote in Australia, right Simon?
Old 4th July 2016, 08:39     #8
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:

I didn't realise at first who the author of that was. But there was something about that first paragraph, something stupid, insipid and shitty... it was reminiscent of the ramblings of... oh god... it's not... AARRRGH! CHOKE YOURSELF! CHOKE EVERYBODY!
Old 4th July 2016, 08:59     #9
crocos

Quote:

Ban stick.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th July 2016, 10:19     #10
MadMax
Stuff

I'm amazed advertising etc is allowed outside the booths
Old 4th July 2016, 12:27     #11
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

yeah it's the weirdest thing about voting in oz. to get to the polling station you also have to run the gauntlet of party volunteers thrusting voting instruction cards at you. "CONFUSED ABOUT HOW TO VOTE? JUST COPY WHATS ON THIS CARD"

my local electorate vote was simply determined, namely for the candidate who had the best chance of unseating a sitting conservative misogynist bullyboy prick. For years this seat has been among the safest of the safe but this time a popular local candidate from a minor party was looking good so I voted for her, and she took it. first time in a while I've felt like my vote actually influenced anything, this seat has been rock-solid blue for a long time.

my upper house - kinda equivalent to a Party vote in nz - voting preferences this year were much the same as ever, broadly progressive-humanist stuff, highest priority given to minor parties whose policies I like but who had no chance of winning (e.g. top places to the Australian Sex Party - sensible policies, silly name - Arts Party, Marriage Equality Party) down to parties and independent candidates whose policies I find abhorrent (e.g. xenophobes and bible-bashers like One Nation, Family First, Christian Democrats). Of the 3 "major" parties in my list I had Greens, Labor, Liberal in that order.
Old 4th July 2016, 12:32     #12
blynk

Is it a STV in Aus?
Old 4th July 2016, 16:17     #13
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

slightly different variations for upper and lower houses, but yeah.
Old 4th July 2016, 16:51     #14
The Edge

What happens if it's a tie? Do you have to vote again?
Old 4th July 2016, 17:21     #15
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Same as would happen in NZ. If there's no coalition of parties big enough to pass legislation, there's no government, and the Governor General says "try again". New election. I'm guessing that if that happened Turnbull would be knifed faster than you can say "BRING BACK TONY".
Old 4th July 2016, 17:23     #16
CCS
Stunt Pants

If it's a tie then I hope they have a tie-breaker in the Thunderdome.
Old 4th July 2016, 20:54     #17
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Is it a STV in Aus?
I think she still goes by "Lizzie".