Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 19th October 2010, 14:07     #4001
Disinformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID|DensitY
EDIT: with Angry Birds (which I downloaded), Developer choose to release it for free, with some ad support. from what I understand they are going to release a paid version which I will be buying to support the developer. Good games/apps will get their payday.
Exactly, its not like we currently have a choice whether to pay or not. I'll bet a fair proportion of people who downloaded the ad supported version would have preferred to pay for no ads.

Also for some insane reason the developer decided to release it outside the marketplace first.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:12     #4002
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID|DensitY
I think the sales issue on Android market is possibly a quality control problem more then anything.. There is an insane amount of trash on there, we're talking software that isn't finished, broken in some way or flat out doesn't work on platforms that it's meant to. I think because of that people are being _insanely_ picky with what they buy as a result.

EDIT: with Angry Birds (which I downloaded), Developer choose to release it for free, with some ad support. from what I understand they are going to release a paid version which I will be buying to support the developer. Good games/apps will get their payday.
There's also an article that explains android users click more adds then iphone users so they might be recieving an even larger pay day via google adds then iphone app store. 6 million aint exactly going to put you on the rich list thats for sure.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:23     #4003
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
There's also an article that explains android users click more adds then iphone users so they might be recieving an even larger pay day via google adds then iphone app store. 6 million aint exactly going to put you on the rich list thats for sure.
ahahahahahahaha
Old 19th October 2010, 14:30     #4004
Disinformation

Yeah that is pretty lol.

I think their reluctance to release as a real paid app came from the fact they're not quite confident they've got the game working right yet.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:32     #4005
Rocket

they sold 6 million on appstore and crashed the servers doing 1 million in an hour via getjar for android... anyway they are probably jsut after exposure now. looking for the next big game and investors, who knows what their plan is but they are getting coverage thats for sure.

Last edited by Rocket : 19th October 2010 at 14:33.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:40     #4006
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disinformation
Yeah that is pretty lol.

I think their reluctance to release as a real paid app came from the fact they're not quite confident they've got the game working right yet.
Probably, this makes alot more sense than some batshit crazy fuck theory d1psh1+s working out ... cause his reasoning is just on tinfoil hat time.

lol android users are stingy .... cause android users made and released the app to the android store right? ... lol

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 19th October 2010 at 14:41.
Old 19th October 2010, 19:12     #4007
crocos

So it's probably not a good idea to share touch-screen devices.

But surely the same can be said of mice & keyboards?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 19th October 2010, 19:30     #4008
lektronimo

Man this thread sucks balls. My OS is better than your OS... fuck it, just enjoy the gear you have, or post how something made your life easier by owning a particular piece of hardware.
Old 19th October 2010, 19:35     #4009
Rocket

O well, when you buy your shitty N8 you wont be posting much in The great combined Smartphone OS thread. Aye! ha ha
Old 19th October 2010, 19:41     #4010
crocos

Nah, the N8 is awesome for hardware that's nearly 3 years old. Still offering features that iPhone and many Android phones don't offer, as much as it's falling behind in other hardware-related areas.

It's the OS that's going to stop him posting good things in this thread

Old 19th October 2010, 20:37     #4011
lektronimo

Fuck you guys

I don't have a personal connection with any software developers, phone manufacturers etc. I just like geeky gadgets, and N8 is flavour of the month. Here is my reasoning for this:

Galaxy S looks pretty sweet, but like cyc, I don't like how Samsung is useless with FW updates and GPS has a problem of some sort... SE anything is pretty shit, they apparently killed their Symbian development to concentrate on... making hardware on outdated software? Good business plan if there was any...

HTC is awesome, but almost every model has something hardware-wise which is missing for me, or it's too expensive. That new non-US version of Evo looks fantastic, but screen is just crap for a $1200 phone. I also don't get Android phones, there are all these versions, and some might be updated, some not and I have to somehow keep a track of all of those things?? No thanks. Another fundamental flaw is inability to install apps onto a memory card. So you have powerful hardware, but only 150 megs free of system memory... good luck installing awesome games for that awesome hardware in years time.

Apple... well I'd be lying if I didn't think that 4G is great. But, the hardware is faulty, it is artificially gimped and I want Steve to get cancer for being such a cock. I'm serious. Once that douche is gone from the company, I might even celebrate by buying a mac or something. I fundamentally hate the prick for making me install itunes or quicktime over so many years and for having the balls to say to hold my fucking phone differently because it has a hardware problem. No thanks. OS wise, no homescreen widgets and lock screen is useless, tied to itunes, no drag and drop, plus no multitasking - all a big no in my books.

As for the N8, Nokia has made a great hardware checklist, but the OS is fucking ugly with not many apps or swish effects but none of that bothers me as the core experience works. You hook it up to your USB, and you can sync music via WMP. Or drag files onto it. Homescreen shows emails, and messages. Don't need more than that, except maybe a cool stock report widget so I feel important and businessman-like. I can sync photos as well to PC when I connect it up via USB, which finally also charges the phone. Battery life is decent (much better than 'droid 2.1 stuff). Nokia have a good track record with FW updates, and all the negatives discussed regarding N8 will be more or less fixed by the time I have moneys for a new phone (ie. new browser, maps, swype) It's a bit of a windows 2000 really. Ugly but still used by banks (cue crocos...) everywhere.

Winpho7... get fucked. MS has released Windows 7, and that was the last thing they've done really good. Ballmer should make babies with Jobs, they're made for each other. (a picture of a bald goblin wearing a turleneck with pancreatic cancer pops to mind... :S.)

HOLY SHIT, what a long boring post. In the next episode, I will tell you how I do my daily poop routine, and how I nearly clipped my toenails last nite.

Last edited by lektronimo : 19th October 2010 at 20:41.
Old 19th October 2010, 20:50     #4012
p01s0n

holy fuck you have issues dude.

read the apple part.
and then read the nokia part.
and only focus on the parts where he discusses the product itself.

you literally have no idea what using/owning an iphone is like. Proven by statements like

Quote:
the hardware is faulty, it is artificially gimped
Quote:
no drag and drop, plus no multitasking
and then saying the n8 is better because
Quote:
maybe a cool stock report widget so I feel important and businessman-lik
Quote:
I can sync photos as well to PC when I connect it up via USB, which finally also charges the phone.
Iphone has multitasking
Iphone hardware is not 'gimped', and any number of quotes from John Carmack will back this up.
You can manage your photos with windows explorer, using drag and drop
You can charge the phone over USB

and that's ignoring the idiotic jobs-rage you have going on. Don't get me wrong, I think Ballmer and the entire microsoft management team at every level is full of fucking morons, but that doesn't stop me using windows 7 or office.

Last edited by p01s0n : 19th October 2010 at 20:51.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:13     #4013
lektronimo

So the antennae is fixed? And you can have any two or more apps running without closing some of them? When you connect the USB, does it show up as removable storage like a USB drive in windows? My boss who owns an iphone4 can't even copy his non-itunes mp3s off the phone to his mac. Gimped in other words for no reason other than to be tied down to itunes. Sorry, unless I'm completely wrong, and the answer was yes for all of those than that is my problem with apple. Take it or leave it dude.

Oh yeah, my morning poo is always better after I had a cup of coffee. Sometimes I can even take a dump as soon as I hear the jug and I dunno why. Pro tip for poo management - eat fibers, and I heard smoking also helps.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:23     #4014
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
So the antennae is fixed?
that would suggest it was broken int he first place.
Quote:
And you can have any two or more apps running without closing some of them?
yes, for example I can play music with the ipod app at the same time as browsing the net, at the same time as checking e-mail, at the same time as being logged in to facebook
Quote:
When you connect the USB, does it show up as removable storage like a USB drive in windows?
it shows up as an iphone, and photos can be browsed/copied using windows explorer.
Quote:
My boss who owns an iphone4 can't even copy his non-itunes mp3s off the phone to his mac.
you cant do this with an ipod either, what's your point?
Old 19th October 2010, 21:29     #4015
lektronimo

I'll let somebody else argue those points. In short:
Quote:
...that is my problem with apple. Take it or leave it dude.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:35     #4016
p01s0n

I dare say you would probably be perfectly content with a jailbroken ip4 if it wasn't for your moronic hatred of Steve Jobs.
Old 19th October 2010, 22:49     #4017
MadMax
Stuff

does the iphone4 let you set a section of the storage to 'data' so it can easily be used to sync mp3s from winamp?
Old 19th October 2010, 23:42     #4018
Disinformation

Quote:
HTC is awesome, but almost every model has something hardware-wise which is missing for me, or it's too expensive. That new non-US version of Evo looks fantastic, but screen is just crap for a $1200 phone. I also don't get Android phones, there are all these versions, and some might be updated, some not and I have to somehow keep a track of all of those things?? No thanks. Another fundamental flaw is inability to install apps onto a memory card. So you have powerful hardware, but only 150 megs free of system memory... good luck installing awesome games for that awesome hardware in years time.
What is missing from a Nexus One/Desire? If its the hardware keyboard then start looking for a G2.

As for installing to the SD card that is built into froyo which should be available on any reasonable HTC phone.
Old 19th October 2010, 23:53     #4019
Disinformation

Okay forget the G2 as it stands, you'll have to wait for the international version with the correct 3G bands (Desire Z)
Old 20th October 2010, 03:30     #4020
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
that would suggest it was broken int he first place.
Clearly there is a design issue when holding your dang phone a particular way causes it to lose reception. Trying to argue otherwise is stupid. HOWEVER, in practical terms this is not a significant problem for NZ users since I've never seen anyone report that one can kill reception or terminate a call using the grip of death. Moreover, the IP4 has improved by a country mile as a phone and in my experience I can get very clear calls with only 1 to 2 bars of reception.

.... brought to you by an non-fanboi.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:09     #4021
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Clearly there is a design issue when holding your dang phone a particular way causes it to lose reception. Trying to argue otherwise is stupid. HOWEVER, in practical terms this is not a significant problem for NZ users since I've never seen anyone report that one can kill reception or terminate a call using the grip of death. Moreover, the IP4 has improved by a country mile as a phone and in my experience I can get very clear calls with only 1 to 2 bars of reception.
this doesn't sound like the way to describe something that is 'broken'

Quote:
.... brought to you by an non-fanboi.
also FYI, here is something you're gonna have to get used to. If you defend other products, such as android or nokia phones, you're an all-right guy. Want to defend the apple products that you enjoy? Better believe you're going to be labelled a fanboi (usually by fucking morons like Rocket and Bites).
Old 20th October 2010, 08:14     #4022
JiggaRoll
For the Horo

I can get my work iP4 to drop bars if I hold it normally in my left hand. I'm in a shit area for reception though so probably exaggerates the effect. I rarely hold it in my left hand when making calls so it is a non issue for me.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:03     #4023
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
this doesn't sound like the way to describe something that is 'broken'
This denial is what makes you a fanboi and others peeps that just like their phone.

Biiiiiig difference.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 20th October 2010, 10:18     #4024
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disinformation
What is missing from a Nexus One/Desire? If its the hardware keyboard then start looking for a G2.
No forward facing camera on either one. And yes I use it.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:34     #4025
crocos

Quote:
It's a bit of a windows 2000 really. Ugly but still used by banks (cue crocos...) everywhere.
Eh? I forget the last time I used W2K. We might have a couple of End-Of-Life systems with W2K Server, maybe.

Old 20th October 2010, 10:34     #4026
_Incubus_

Quote:
Make a lot of video calls do you?
Old 20th October 2010, 10:37     #4027
crocos

Nah he uses it as a electronic mirror for shaving

Old 20th October 2010, 11:14     #4028
chiQ
Frag-muff

Something we can all enjoy: free and cheap stuff <- link stolen from Neogaf
Old 20th October 2010, 11:32     #4029
Rocket

Lek: Android supports Apps 2 SD. look it up. All my apps that support instalation to SD install there by default.

And really it isnt that hard, just pick a flavour. and install it. took me all but 30 mins.

And it really is nice to have a little browse and have options to install different OS, i appreciate that. If i dont like it i can change it, unlike other phones where all u can do is whinge into space and hope someone at the company hears you and makes a change to their product.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:47     #4030
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Something we can all enjoy: free and cheap stuff <- link stolen from Neogaf
Also see FAAD.

Old 20th October 2010, 12:22     #4031
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Nah he uses it as a electronic mirror for shaving
Nah, to engage with your mum

P.S. shaving is for pussies.

Rocket: I'll look into it, tell me which phone/OS version combo you use though.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:07     #4032
Rocket

I just use a HTC desire with the leedroid 2.1 rom (mod of froyo 2.2)

links are on my site below on how i rooted it and romed it. pretty straight foward.

theres 2 versions of leedroid one that supports the apps 2 SD and one that doesnt. the main difference being your SD card needs a ext3 partition, all can be setup on the phone with a blank SD after the process of roming is complete.

http://leedroid.protogenlabs.com/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=768703
http://leedroid.protogenlabs.com/faqs/
Old 20th October 2010, 13:14     #4033
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
I just use a HTC desire with the leedroid 2.1 rom (mod of froyo 2.2)

links are on my site below on how i rooted it and romed it. pretty straight foward.

theres 2 versions of leedroid one that supports the apps 2 SD and one that doesnt. the main difference being your SD card needs a ext3 partition, all can be setup on the phone with a blank SD after the process of roming is complete.

http://leedroid.protogenlabs.com/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=768703
http://leedroid.protogenlabs.com/faqs/
oops my bad. I run the A2SD+

A2SD+

* Moves apps & Dalvik cahche to your SD card
* Lots of free internal memory!
* You will be required to format you SD card with 2 partitions as laid out below

Partitioning your SD Card ready for A2SD+

* Backup all data on you SD card (this will be wiped)
* The card should be formatted with your standard FAT32 partition 1st followed by an EXT3 partition (I would recommend 512mb, EXT4 is also supported but may shorten the life of you SD card)
* Linux users use GParted or a similar software.
* For everyone else I would recommend using Rom Manager
* Once you have downloaded rom manager from the market, open the app and click partition SD Card, Select your EXT size and set 0mb for swap
* Restore your data to your SD and the job is done.

FroYo A2SD

* Moves apps to your Fat32 partition (SD)
* No EXT partition is required
* Use “Mod Install Location” (included) to change you default install location.
* please note, not all applications support direct install to your SD, you can install these and then move them via Sttings > Applications > Manage Applications
Old 20th October 2010, 13:19     #4034
Disinformation

Quote:
lol, can't recommend anything with Android then.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:33     #4035
crocos

What makes a good Christmas/Birthday present for p01s0n?

Old 20th October 2010, 15:54     #4036
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 20th October 2010, 16:35     #4037
crocos

Nah - he's actually like that, therefore eliminated.

Old 20th October 2010, 18:05     #4038
joker999

Old 20th October 2010, 18:21     #4039
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Isaiah Mustafa, how could you?

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/m...020-16the.html

Oh well, guess a guy's gotta eat.
Old 20th October 2010, 18:44     #4040
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Good call but i think poison would prefer him in this position.