Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 24th August 2009, 22:22     #16241
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
I was at borders earlier reading the new issue of Tone, and they said how expensive HDMI cables sound better... Mmmm purer zeros and ones...

More like pricks can't piss off their advertising partners...
fixed
Old 25th August 2009, 00:37     #16242
Biff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
I was at boarders earlier reading the new issue of Tone, and they said how expensive HDMI cables sound better... Mmmm purer zeros and ones...

More like pricks can't piss off their advertising partners...
Siltech Emperor Crown – over $40,000 US

Siltech utilizes both silver and gold metallurgy in the construction of their Signature series of audio cables. Their twenty years of research in the field have allowed them to claim the lowest measured distortion of any brand of audio cable. They do so by reducing the microscopic cracks (crystalline boundaries) in the silver and filling the remaining ones with gold. The Emperor Crown, part of the Signature series, has the distinction of being the most expensive audio cable on the market.

Coat Hanger – Under a buck

The world’s most expensive audio cables may sound nice, but do they actually sound better? According to a rather humorous story, a simple wire coat hanger produces sound that is virtually indistinguishable from that produced by audio cables sold by Monster, another brand known for their relatively expensive consumer cables. Perhaps you should think twice before emptying your wallet for a pair of speaker cables.
Old 25th August 2009, 01:02     #16243
Thomas Meatball

"Create a Quick Launch icon?" No. Fuck no. Why would you even ask? If I want a fucken quick launch icon, I'll make the bloody thing myself.
Old 25th August 2009, 09:14     #16244
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Or the opposite. Install an app and find an icon for it on the desktop, in the quick launch, at the top of the start menu, in the programs section of the start menu, on the right-click contect menu of any folder, etc etc. o.O
Old 25th August 2009, 09:50     #16245
Thomas Meatball

Crying

It's just annoying when the tick box comes already ticked and I have to untick it. That's seriously important time spent unticking that box!
Old 25th August 2009, 09:58     #16246
Juju
get to da choppa

Time you could spend posting on NZG about the time it takes to untick the box?
Old 25th August 2009, 10:07     #16247
Thomas Meatball

Precisely!
Old 25th August 2009, 10:51     #16248
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat
fixed
You could have capitalized the B while you were down there...

GMG- Whitcoulls escalators on Queen St. They go the opposite
way! Left goes up, right goes down when you're on the bottom like every mall/airport ever.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:07     #16249
Cyberbob

yay no job

All IT hardware is going external (leaving thinclients & laptops onsite), so they're super downsizing the required internal IT role to something I wouldn't be interested in.
Are they required to offer me redundancy?
Old 25th August 2009, 14:10     #16250
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Check your contract, some companies have "no redundancy" clauses written in. And if all else fails, go chat with a lawyer about it.

Sorry to hear about that, redundancy sucks
Old 25th August 2009, 14:11     #16251
Gentl e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
yay no job

All IT hardware is going external (leaving thinclients & laptops onsite), so they're super downsizing the required internal IT role to something I wouldn't be interested in.
Are they offering you another role that is more or less the same / is there a redundancy clause in your contract?
Old 25th August 2009, 14:12     #16252
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
yay no job

Only if the role is for less pay or can be considered a demotion.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:13     #16253
Thomas Meatball

Who announces redundancies on a Tuesday?

"We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week. "
Old 25th August 2009, 14:14     #16254
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentl e
Are they offering you another role that is more or less the same / is there a redundancy clause in your contract?
Nothing's 100% official yet, just the heads up from my manager that the CEO has all but signed off on the deal. My role will definitely change significantly from what it is now, and chances are it won't be for the same pay considering how much of a downgrade it is from what it is now.
They'll probably offer it to me, but they'll already know it's not what i'm after.

I'll check my contract me thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat
Only if the role is for less pay or can be considered a demotion.
is that employment law or dependent on individual contracts?

They've also been fucking me around for a good few months now, with a "maybe you will have a job, maybe you won't" with this whole hosted servers thing.
They only fricking established my role in July last year, and now they're removing it.. gg

Last edited by Cyberbob : 25th August 2009 at 14:19.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:26     #16255
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
is that employment law or dependent on individual contracts?
Not 100% sure on that one but it's generally in every employment contract I've been party to and is pretty much an industry standard. Give the DOL a call?
Old 25th August 2009, 21:27     #16256
Xanatos
Antagonist Prime

Quote:
yay no job

A small upside will be the deeply satisfying schadenfreude you will experience 6 months from now when you hear how disastrous the whole incident was.
  • 10 years working in IT.
  • Never seen a successful tech support outsourcing/downsizing.
  • Still relish hearing the disaster stories.
Old 25th August 2009, 22:03     #16257
Lightspeed

It's a bizarre thing. IT companies, just don't get support in most cases. It's like the last place they think money should be spent, even though after the sale it's where most customer contact is and where the biggest impression of the company can be formed.

It's amazing the crap a customer will put up with, if they're being handled right in the support area. And vice versa... Many a customer won't care a damn how polished a product might be, if they can't get a question answered.
Old 25th August 2009, 22:24     #16258
p01s0n

argh, gear grinder right here. perf decided she didnt want to use her game theater XP anymore, so let me set it up on my pc. Only, there dont seem to be any drivers for 64bit windows 7/vista around
Old 25th August 2009, 22:26     #16259
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

KFC tower burger is back - minus a whole fucking chicken pattie. back my arse.
Old 25th August 2009, 22:32     #16260
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
Downsized! The recession strikes again!
Old 25th August 2009, 23:02     #16261
Juju
get to da choppa

Pulp Sport being on a Friday night.

What the fuck you fucking retarded scheduling people - do you not realise that Friday night is the most likely time the target audience won't be watching TV? Jeeeeeeesus.
Old 25th August 2009, 23:08     #16262
tarzan007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Pulp Sport being on a Friday night.

What the fuck you fucking retarded scheduling people - do you not realise that Friday night is the most likely time the target audience won't be watching TV? Jeeeeeeesus.
TV3 know that people are likely to be at home watching TV Sunday - Thursday...so they put it on Friday nights to try and get people to stay in. Stupid I know! They get great ratings, but they could get such better ratings if it was on a better day...

the shit TV3 website has the episodes up each week though
Old 26th August 2009, 09:47     #16263
xor

I reckon advertising suits, cologne, skiddy undies by celebrities ends up making them looking like complete douches. Nobody wants to see an rugby star or movie star advertising bs.
Hi there, I'm an actor doing this on the side trying to make this shit look cool
Old 26th August 2009, 09:53     #16264
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I reckon advertising suits, cologne, skiddy undies by celebrities ends up making them looking like complete douches. Nobody wants to see an rugby star or movie star advertising bs.
Tell that to toffeepops, who had a hell of a run after their ads with carlos spencer
Old 26th August 2009, 09:57     #16265
leadinjector

im sure brad pitt gives a fuck what you think xor after tag heur paid him millions of dollars... this kind of shit does actually work. no need to be tall poppy about it imo, i mean how does the fact that star X endorses brand Y affect you in any way at all?
Old 26th August 2009, 11:05     #16266
xor

It is good advertising but they're still douches.
e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyeXrdZZ1o
Old 26th August 2009, 11:12     #16267
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
Tower burger used to be 2 fillets? Fairly sure it was only ever a standard burger with an added hash brown
Old 26th August 2009, 11:32     #16268
Word

When i was in Lisbon they were showing that nescafe shit everywhere. All i thought was how much clooney was getting.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:35     #16269
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Tower burger used to be 2 fillets? Fairly sure it was only ever a standard burger with an added hash brown
this was my thoughts also. there is much concurrage in this sector.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:50     #16270
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

This internet petition agrees with us, so it must be true

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...rgers-kfc.html
Old 26th August 2009, 11:58     #16271
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Now this burger on the other hand....

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/85...ed-chicken-bun
Old 26th August 2009, 13:06     #16272
p01s0n

Quote:

fuck now there's a burg that would oil my gears in more ways than one.
Old 26th August 2009, 13:48     #16273
Biff

Quote:

just ensure you get on an American exercise program if you start eating them.

Old 27th August 2009, 22:26     #16274
LordP

Another minor grind, but a grind nonetheless - web browsers defaulting to file: when given a URI without the protocol, eg //nzgames.com in Chrome will try to open a file called nzgames.com instead of going to the web page.

You're a fucking web browser. You browse web pages. What the fuck?
Old 27th August 2009, 23:04     #16275
jsr
On the moon we have 5 thousand

Slightly ground gears: Having to find and install a third party app to stop media player mac from going "BONGGGG!" at boot time.
Old 27th August 2009, 23:10     #16276
p01s0n

yeah but at least you can open pdfs out of the box.
Old 27th August 2009, 23:20     #16277
Frouse

Burger King needs to bring back the Big King too.
Old 27th August 2009, 23:25     #16278
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
It is good advertising but they're still douches.
e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyeXrdZZ1o
I hate coffee but I love clooney this ad was pleasant to me.
Old 27th August 2009, 23:31     #16279
p-b

Pushy religious door knockers grind my fucking gears. Some 7th Day Adventists but mostly Jehova's Witnesses as there's a flash new Church round the corner from us here in the Middleton area of Chch.

They fuck me off because they start off trying to deceive you by talking about something else before greasily sliding on into the religious rhetoric.

Whats more, even after several "no thank you, i'd rather not"'s or "No, sorry it's not my thing"'s or "sorry, I am not interested"'s, you have to resort to just about being rude to get them to go.

I know I have the right to ask them to leave my property, but why should it have to be after anything more then a simple polite request?

Even after all of that, I check my mail later in the day to find a sea shell with a cross drawn on it in my letter box.

Fuck off and leave me alone you fucking cunty nutters.

I bet if I were to go to their house and obtusely try to talk to them about athiesm or agnosticism, there would be a right uproar of protest and anger.
Old 27th August 2009, 23:43     #16280
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Pushy religious door knockers grind my fucking gears.
Yeah, are they on commission? Do they get a higher rank in the afterlife the more they recruit? Is it a spiritual pyramid scheme?!?

Or do these weirdos really believe that you need to be "saved", no matter how much you protest and tell them to sod off???