Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22nd January 2008, 15:41     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Latest article on Kiwis moving to Australia

There was some discussion here of the Trans-Tasman Exodus a while back, but I think it was in Random Thoughts and I'm buggered if I can go looking for the posts.

Anyway, insightful article in Stuff today:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/blogs/showmet...as-are-grumpy/

Quote:
Statistics NZ’s November migration figures show that 40,786 New Zealanders left permanently to live in Australia in the year to November. In the month of November alone 2895 people left. After permanent arrivals are taken into account (many of whom will have been New Zealanders returning home after a stint across the Tasman) then the net migration figure for the year was 27,165, or 522 a week. That’s nearly four plane loads (737s) a week leaving this country.

I don’t have the statistics to hand to back this up, but I suspect most are young, educated (at the New Zealand taxpayer’s expense, largely), healthy and highly productive. The OECD estimates that 24.2% of New Zealanders with a tertiary education are now living overseas.
Every plane load we lose is an economic tragedy. No wonder our productivity growth (and therefore our economic growth) is stunted and we have an inflation problem (caused partly by labour shortages!).
But the big picture is bigger than these statistics or cold, hard facts about comparative after-tax incomes.

Life-changing decisions such as choosing to migrate and stay away are often messy, emotional, opportunist affairs that owe more to luck and relationships than spending half an hour with a spreadsheet. But these decisions are then reinforced and cemented by the economic realities. That’s why they matter.
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:01     #2
Fx.

intersting read, confirms a lot of what i'd already figured/been thinking

stupid knowing wayyyy more people (+ all family are here) in nz or i'd bail quicksmart!
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:42     #3
Claymore

Yeap, I'll be adding to the list on the 16th Feb
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:20     #4
Hotstuff

Ab: so was your case a messy, emotional, opportunist affair?

We have given more than a passing thought to it lately. Friends moved there.
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:22     #5
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore
Yeap, I'll be adding to the list on the 16th Feb
insert joke re: average IQ of both countries going up
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:28     #6
Cynos

What I love is how commentators on this tend to blame NZ's taxation policies while simultanously ignoring two facts a) Our over-all taxation rate is lower than Australia, certain edge cases when you earn bog-all excluded, b) Australia happens to be having a major economic boom due to world demand for minerals.

A) is always contentious, but basically, people seem adverse to comparing apples with apples - in this case, New Zealand's income tax covers social security also, while Australia's income tax doesn't, that comes from payroll taxes which are usually not factored in.
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:36     #7
doppelgänger of someone

Commodity boom isn't just happening in Australia. Dairy price reached record high and Fonterra is making record payment to farmers.
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:40     #8
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotstuff
Ab: so was your case a messy, emotional, opportunist affair?
More than you could possibly imagine.
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:47     #9
sv
simulationszeitalter

In part it's simply the drift to the larger mass which is the story of civilisation everywhere.
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:55     #10
Trigger
Laserman

only tards stay in new zealand
Old 22nd January 2008, 19:45     #11
Hannibal

They are chasing the American dream U-S-A A-U-S same thing. Once they find out what the dream really is they'll come back. lololol
Old 22nd January 2008, 19:55     #12
Endymion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
a) Our over-all taxation rate is lower than Australia, certain edge cases when you earn bog-all excluded
If by 'bog-all' you mean < $200,000, then OK.
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:51     #13
BWDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Commodity boom isn't just happening in Australia. Dairy price reached record high and Fonterra is making record payment to farmers.
Thus pushing our own dairy related grocery prices higher than australia for the 1st time in ages. I'll also be adding to the migration hopefully before the winter cold sets in.
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:25     #14
xor

I might move to Aus one day. In NZ the pay is shit and the cost of living is too high. And the drugs aren't good enough
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:44     #15
Erazhure

i personally cant wait to come home.
after 12 years away ive realised im very proud to be a Kiwi, and am looking forward to spending the rest of my life in New Zealand.

i enjoyed my experiance, and dont regret it at all, but nowhere compares to home.

Xor: the drugs suck in New Zealand?...
well, do something about it:

http://kiwiseeds.com/ lol.
Old 23rd January 2008, 00:22     #16
leadinjector

ill be moving to aussie next year too probably... my dad works there atm as well, NZ simply cannot afford to pay him what they do, and they also pay for him to fly back to NZ every 2 weeks for 2 weeks over here.
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:20     #17
LFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
ill be moving to aussie next year too probably... my dad works there atm as well, NZ simply cannot afford to pay him what they do, and they also pay for him to fly back to NZ every 2 weeks for 2 weeks over here.
What sort of work is your dad in? Sounds lucrative.
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:54     #18
Lightspeed

If I moved out of NZ it most certainly wouldn't be to Aus. Maybe Singapore, Ireland or Japan.
Old 23rd January 2008, 09:05     #19
OY636

so if we are having that many people leaving the country - how many are coming in?
Old 23rd January 2008, 09:08     #20
cyc
Objection!

YUO=LAME

Michael Cullen: Just fuck off and go to Australia!
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:08     #21
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC
What sort of work is your dad in? Sounds lucrative.
does contract work for various mines and factories etc. not entirely sure what he -does-, his explanation is that hes the guy who uses the really small spanners.
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:37     #22
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
That’s because our economy is just not growing fast enough to increase wages…
Or, perhaps it’s that our wages aren’t growing fast enough to grow the economy. What I’ve been reading in the papers over the last few years is usually along the lines of ‘profits up 6 to 7%, inflation 3 to 4% and wages up 2 to 2.5%’. Would you hang around if your only hope for the future is another pay cut?

Really, they should look to where the problem actually is and they should also look at using less biased reports. Both the NZIER and the CIS are radical right-wing institutions.
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:43     #23
BadNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
Or, perhaps it’s that our wages aren’t growing fast enough to grow the economy. What I’ve been reading in the papers over the last few years is usually along the lines of ‘profits up 6 to 7%, inflation 3 to 4% and wages up 2 to 2.5%’. Would you hang around if your only hope for the future is another pay cut?
Growth in wages vs. growth in house prices alone is enough to drive many people overseas. At least in Auckland, I don't know about other parts of the country.
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:49     #24
Genesis

LOL New Zealand.
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:06     #25
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
What I love is how commentators on this tend to blame NZ's taxation policies while simultanously ignoring two facts a) Our over-all taxation rate is lower than Australia, certain edge cases when you earn bog-all excluded, b) Australia happens to be having a major economic boom due to world demand for minerals.

A) is always contentious, but basically, people seem adverse to comparing apples with apples - in this case, New Zealand's income tax covers social security also, while Australia's income tax doesn't, that comes from payroll taxes which are usually not factored in.
Well I'd pay higher taxes here in NZ to have their health system.
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:19     #26
Omegakai

Fuck Oz, Canada is where its at (i hate the heat)
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:48     #27
LFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
does contract work for various mines and factories etc. not entirely sure what he -does-, his explanation is that hes the guy who uses the really small spanners.
Ahh mining, yeah loads of money in that apparently.

My brother in law is moving to Western Australia in a few months to drive those huge trucks they have over there.

Its in a really remote area but apparently the money is great, he only plans to do it for a couple of years but thats all you need to do apparently to get quite a bit of $$
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:51     #28
Omegakai

good luck on that "couple of years" for you brother inlaw.
its hard going , not because the work is necessarily hard but life is very very mundane. my father recently come back only after 1 year.
the income was insanely good but you littler had nothing to spend it on or things to do with your time.
its so remote theirs hardly a shop or anything near by, you spend most of your spare time wanting to go back to work out of boredom.
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:59     #29
doppelgänger of someone

muh

^^^

They haven't discover masturbation in Australia?
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:07     #30
Axident

Can't be all good over there. That Aussie pair who managed to escape by canoe was all over the news the other week.
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:58     #31
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC
Ahh mining, yeah loads of money in that apparently.
According to the results of an income survey I saw a couple of years ago, "miner" is the highest-paid occupation in Australia.
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:14     #32
verve_rat

Is that skewed by including book deals and movie rights?
Old 23rd January 2008, 22:05     #33
animotor

Good on them
Old 24th January 2008, 00:30     #34
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegakai
Fuck Canada, Greenland is where its at (i hate the heat)

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 24th January 2008, 02:12     #35
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegakai
Fuck Oz, Canada is where its at (i hate the heat)
London is the place to be then...Except it hardly rains, it's just cold
Old 24th January 2008, 02:13     #36
dead goon

isn't mining dangerous as well?
Old 24th January 2008, 09:33     #37
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Dangerous (very), boring (very), and hard work (very).

So, it has to pay well in a country with a controlled labour market. In a free-market cheap overseas labour could do the job at a proper price by exploiting the rather low level of skill required.
Old 24th January 2008, 10:05     #38
leadinjector

yeah fuck actually working -in- the mines. my dad sits in an office and tells the younger people using small spanners what to do- doesnt do it himself, too old for that sort of thing now.
Old 24th January 2008, 10:08     #39
Omegakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
London is the place to be then...Except it hardly rains, it's just cold
The average home in Canada is 3 x the yearly income. whats the average house price in london?
Old 24th January 2008, 10:11     #40
dead goon

about the price of your mum!

BURN!