NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 16th January 2023, 13:21     #2041
fixed_truth

Yeah that's gender. Also the awards in question are an outside judgement of their performance nothing to do with direct competing or agreeableness etc.
Old 16th January 2023, 15:09     #2042
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Yeah that's gender. Also the awards in question are an outside judgement of their performance nothing to do with direct competing or agreeableness etc.
Yes it's obviously totally impartial without any cut-throat dealmaking in the background
Old 16th January 2023, 15:18     #2043
Lightspeed

o_O

And to be clear, the problem amongst all of this is that a competition isn't opening a backdoor for women to get in?
Old 16th January 2023, 15:43     #2044
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yes it's obviously totally impartial without any cut-throat dealmaking in the background
The artist pay people to manage this for them so what's between the artists legs probably doesn't matter.
Old 16th January 2023, 18:28     #2045
Lightspeed

We're all fighting over who we share a bathroom with, all the while the richest 1% bag two-thirds of $42 trillion in new wealth.
Old 17th January 2023, 10:40     #2046
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

A US school district is under fire for withholding national academic awards from its high-achieving students because equity.

https://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article...69ccfb584.html

I guess we've moved past "everybody gets a prize" to "prizes are racist".
Old 17th January 2023, 13:02     #2047
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
We're all fighting over who we share a bathroom with, all the while the richest 1% bag two-thirds of $42 trillion in new wealth.
You live in the western world, you are part of the 1%.
Old 17th January 2023, 14:39     #2048
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

+1 Insightful
Old 17th January 2023, 15:00     #2049
StN
I have detailed files

After many ales of a Friday evening, the old girl puts on *her* music and I wonder why the gentlemen in the Megan Trainor video aren't allowed to wear trousers. Then I get cancelled by the kids.
Old 17th January 2023, 22:37     #2050
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Quote:
There are 281,000 Kiwis in the global top 1%
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/indus...-and-the-world
Old 18th January 2023, 07:18     #2051
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
So even if that was true, are you trying to say that LS is not allowed to comment about the inequality there is?

Is that like saying if someone is catholic, they are not allowed to want those rapists priests to go to jail?
Old 18th January 2023, 08:59     #2052
Cyberbob

I wish you guys would just google it sometimes instead of making off the cuff comments that sound insightful but are actually inaccurate.

All figures are $USD.

From CNBC in 2018
Quote:
According to the 2018 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse Research Institute, you need a net worth of $871,320 U.S. Credit Suisse defines net worth, or “wealth,” as “the value of financial assets plus real assets (principally housing) owned by households, minus their debts.”

To be among the top 10 percent worldwide, you don’t even need six figures: A net worth of $93,170 will do it.

And even if you have just $4,210 to your name, you’re still richer than half of the world’s residents.
Yes it'll have shifted slightly post-covid, but you're not automagically in the top 1% just by living in the western world, but it does drop off pretty sharply after that.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 18th January 2023 at 09:02.
Old 18th January 2023, 11:52     #2053
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
So even if that was true, are you trying to say that LS is not allowed to comment about the inequality there is?

Nice
Old 18th January 2023, 13:15     #2054
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk

Is that like saying if someone is catholic, they are not allowed to want those rapists priests to go to jail?
How do you look around this country and say everyone here lives in the 1%, right?

My guess is he conflated the idea that we're all rich in Western societies because we have fridges and toasters, which few had 100 years ago.

Or maybe it's an ego thing, he likes to imagine himself amongst the world's rich? We all have our fantasies that get us through the day.
Old 18th January 2023, 17:05     #2055
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I remember reading some mental stat back when the Auckland property boom was at its hottest, like if you'd owned a house in Auckland for more than 5 years that put in you in the global 1%.

Don't forget, though, the most important movements are at the bottom. In the past 20 years the number of people in the world living in extreme poverty has more than halved. That has changed the lives of a lot more people than the 1% growing richer.
Old 18th January 2023, 17:46     #2056
Lightspeed

I suspect that's in spite of the forces driving inequality. Formerly third world states modernising, that kind of thing.

I had my boomer neighbour (he comes stays in his Kohimarama home he inherited from his dad about one month a year, lives in Aus) tell me that it's as hard at the top as the bottom. He's not exactly wrong, but the reason why those at the top stress is because they know how far they have to fall, the awful struggle of poverty that awaits them.

That's just one driving force of inequality, a feedback loop that ultimately will fuck us if we don't attend to it.
Old 18th January 2023, 19:44     #2057
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Don't forget, though, the most important movements are at the bottom. In the past 20 years the number of people in the world living in extreme poverty has more than halved. That has changed the lives of a lot more people than the 1% growing richer.
Reducing poverty isn't dependent on rising inequality. There's really no need for the top heavy inefficiency.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 18th January 2023 at 19:46.
Old 19th January 2023, 10:28     #2058
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 19th January 2023, 10:44     #2059
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Art history professor displays historical art in art history class, is fired of course

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/08/u...-muhammad.html
Suing of course

https://apnews.com/article/colleges-...117d7f8394b3a4
Old 22nd January 2023, 23:08     #2060
Lightspeed

Laugh

Hehehehe

Pink Floyd fans are amused that the anti-woke mob are cancelling the band over the Dark Side Of The Moon 'rainbow'
Old 23rd January 2023, 00:11     #2061
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 24th January 2023, 12:28     #2062
Lightspeed

World's not ready for candy mascots:

https://twitter.com/mmschocolate/sta...18785686274052
Old 24th January 2023, 12:47     #2063
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Of course they chose a rich Jewish-black woman from Hollywood as their new spokesperson, that won't be problematic at all.
Old 24th January 2023, 15:17     #2064
xor

brb, buying some M&M'S
Old 31st January 2023, 09:59     #2065
xor

Nicola Sturgeon and the mental gymnastics is pretty entertaining to watch

https://twitter.com/Douglas4Moray/st...79593150418946
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:30     #2066
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This is, you know, fine.

Quote:
What about all those brain-stem dead female bodies in hospital beds?

Why should their wombs be going to waste?

In the journal Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics, Anna Smajdor, of the University of Olso, in Norway, develops her insight. She argues that these women could be put to good use as gestational surrogates provided that they have made an advance directive. She calls this “whole body gestational donation” (WBGD).
Blessed be the fruit
Old 3rd February 2023, 14:54     #2067
fixed_truth

Consenting adults
Old 3rd February 2023, 15:43     #2068
xor

That is fucking ghoulish.
Old 3rd February 2023, 16:19     #2069
_Incubus_

Instantly made me think of Dune and Axlotl Tank's...
Old 3rd February 2023, 17:15     #2070
Cyberbob

Literally half the plot of Death Stranding.
Old 3rd February 2023, 23:27     #2071
Lightspeed

It's better than, you know, doing what we can so that having children is an attractive prospect for working couples.

What if people get lazy on the job? What if... employers can't treat their staff like cunts any more? *gasp!*
Old 4th February 2023, 12:44     #2072
xor

Quote:
Aotearoa will be free of racism when those who were lied to over the last 100 years (specifically Pākehā) are reconditioned and re-educated to understand and learn of the true history of what their ancestors did to Māori and how entrenched racism actually was in their minds, hearts and culture which came with them through colonisation. For too long Pākehā from that time have been portrayed as heroes, founders and discovers of this land. They were given accolades, monuments and governing titles to rule the land by the Queen of England and the Crown. The truth was they were thieves, rapists, murderers and liars. Pākehā since their arrival have used their wealth and privilege to excel their own fortunes governance and empire with no regard to their partner. Tangata Whenua. Racism stops when they stop being racists and give back what they stole from us including half ownership and being able to govern as we see fit for Māori. Reparation and Reconciliation.
https://admin.tikatangata.org.nz/ass...Report_PDF.pdf

Time for whitey to leave NZ imo
Old 4th February 2023, 19:10     #2073
fixed_truth

What could go wrong?

Quote:
Inmates should be able to donate organs or bone marrow in exchange for reduced time in prison, according to a proposed bill in Massachusetts.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64488678
Old 4th February 2023, 23:21     #2074
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This is a real “stop the world” week.
Old 11th February 2023, 20:36     #2075
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Hi-Rez - 2+2=5 (Official Music Video)
Old 18th February 2023, 17:08     #2076
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Roald Dahl's works have been given a woke overhaul

The owners of the works (Netflix) are within their rights to do so, but seriously? I've never given Netflix a cent, and I never will.
Old 18th February 2023, 21:02     #2077
fixed_truth

This article has a list at the end of what words/phrases have been changed https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...witches-twits/
Old 18th February 2023, 21:07     #2078
fixed_truth

Laugh

Andrew Tate Worshipping Teenager Meets His Match Against Drunk Uncle Who Grew Up On Hitchens
Old 18th February 2023, 21:40     #2079
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus

The owners of the works (Netflix) are within their rights to do so, but seriously? I've never given Netflix a cent, and I never will.
In the 16th Century the Catholic Church engaged in art censorship by painting, or placing, fig leaves over genitalia in artworks around Italy. This included metal fig leaves over marbled statues like David of Michaelangelo.
Old 20th February 2023, 11:20     #2080
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus

Wait til they read some of the ancient Greek stories