Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 20th December 2009, 21:39     #281
xor

Coffee and Cigarettes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhNyafL1cm4

This movie is awesome. Strangely not awkward either as I can relate to some of the forced conversations throughout
Old 20th December 2009, 22:57     #282
TnT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious
Just finished watching Michael Jackson's This Is It. Quite the spectacle, his talent is almost immeasurable.
Yeah I don't mind saying I got initially dragged along to this at the cinema, thinking 'great this'll be a waste of money', and walked out going 'That was fantastic'.
Old 21st December 2009, 08:05     #283
tarzan007

Saw Sherlock Holmes yesterday - was brilliant! Robert Downey Jr is fantastic!!
Old 21st December 2009, 08:33     #284
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan007
Saw Sherlock Holmes yesterday - was brilliant! Robert Downey Jr is fantastic!!
Bastard.
Want to see.
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:21     #285
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Finally got around to seeing "Watchmen". Very impressed... for a movie of the story. It could have been sososososo much worse.
I felt a bit underwhelmed by the movie overall, but the opening title sequence makes up for it by being absolutely brilliant! It just sets the tone of the film perfectly and has some really nice little details. Here it is.

Zack Snyder appears to really appreciate the art of the kick-ass opening. His Dawn of the Dead remake intro is great too.
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:47     #286
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
... the opening title sequence makes up for it by being absolutely brilliant! It just sets the tone of the film perfectly and has some really nice little details.
Could have done with more lesbian action.
Old 22nd December 2009, 19:30     #287
Haydos

Watched Paranormal Activity today, not as scary as some make out but still a good concept for a film.

2012, meh, what a boring film, great CGI but beyond that.
Old 22nd December 2009, 19:35     #288
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
My thoughts exactly. Also, does John Cusack ever age?
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:54     #289
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
Watched Paranormal Activity today, not as scary as some make out but still a good concept for a film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX6cfzDpd_o
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:19     #290
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
I felt a bit underwhelmed by the movie overall, but the opening title sequence makes up for it by being absolutely brilliant! It just sets the tone of the film perfectly and has some really nice little details. Here it is.

Zack Snyder appears to really appreciate the art of the kick-ass opening. His Dawn of the Dead remake intro is great too.
Totally agree. The title sequence was amazing. Went back and watched it about five times.
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:40     #291
Skiltz

If you have 3 hours to spare......http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0175880/ MAGNOLIA
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:45     #292
doppelgänger of someone

I refuse to watch The Watchman until they add Tales of the Black freighter back in the movie.
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:00     #293
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
I refuse to watch The Watchman until they add Tales of the Black freighter back in the movie.
Well you're in luck because it's added into the movie in the 'Ultimate Cut' version.
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:03     #294
doppelgänger of someone

Thanks for the heads up, now I have to rent it.
Old 27th December 2009, 21:30     #295
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

I enjoyed The invention of Lying.. a good laugh
Old 27th December 2009, 21:34     #296
Helious

I watched that this morning! I gave it a 7 out of 10. It could've been a lot better and I grow tired of Ricky's mannerisms, he's quite limited as an actor in a leading role, his scope is relatively small compared to other comedian actors. I love his stand-up however, so yeah, I should just shut the fuck up! Ghost Town was much better, 8/10.
Old 27th December 2009, 21:42     #297
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

I'd rate those two movies of his about the same as you, although the other way around. Of course both movies were pretty predictable in the rom-com kind of way, but I just don't get sick of him
Old 27th December 2009, 21:45     #298
Helious

For a long time I was addicted to everything he had done, tv/podcasts/stand-up/movies. Whilst he's obviously the most brilliant comedian on the planet(Russell Brand is closing in, imo.), his scope acting wise is quite limited. Russell will rape him, eventually. The thing I like about both these comedians is their use of the English language. No other comedian has such a range with their vocabulary. I prefer Russell purely because he's REALLY into Women and he loves to play up; qualities I find in myself.
Old 27th December 2009, 21:48     #299
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Yeah, he will never be the even remotely good-looking lead male.. always the chubby one with the stubby nose.
Old 27th December 2009, 21:54     #300
Helious

hahaha, chubby one with a snub nose~ quoted~ have you seen him in his Seona Dancing days?

spelling might be a bit off. He tried to be a Pop Star! check it on Youtube~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXhSqmfRTfY ~ hardly chubby with a snub nose ;p

Last edited by Helious : 27th December 2009 at 21:56.
Old 27th December 2009, 21:58     #301
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Yeah I have seen those clips, his voice sounds just like the rest of the 80's british pop guys I remember
Old 27th December 2009, 21:58     #302
Helious

Cool

haha, agreed!
Old 27th December 2009, 22:13     #303
buckies

Question

Can't we just put aside one dedicated thread for you two to awkwardly cyber in?
Old 27th December 2009, 22:15     #304
Helious

muh

Maybe I should just send her an email?
Old 27th December 2009, 22:19     #305
doppelgänger of someone

I finally watched Watchmen Ultimate Cut, with the Tales of Black Freighter sliced in. It was one of the longest 3hrs 36 mins of my life.

They should have made a TV mini series out of it, not a movie. When they cram everything in it in a movie, there are just too many details that got cut, while the movie is still too long by normal standard. On the other hand, the movie turned it into a by-the-book superhero movie, with some slo-mo action sequences. That is just SAD.

Did I mentioned it was 3 hours 36 mins? If I didn't like Watchmen the comic, I would quit about 2 hours in.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:24     #306
Helious

Wow. I wonder what mood you were in? I've watched it 3 times. Once at the movies, once on DVD and once on 1080p Blu-Ray. All 3 times I was glued to the screen in amazement, time seized to exist and I was purely living in the moment. I most of all liked Dr. Manhattan's storyline, because I personally have fantasy's of such power and immortality that I wouldn't mind being an 8inch blue cock 24/7. I honestly thought it was almost perfect, I struggle to name another Superhero movie of such brilliance in the last decade. Dark Knight is default, and even then I prefer Batman: Begins. Iron-Man was of course awesome and Superman: Returns was brilliant; Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, too cool! This genre of movies is prime right now. Hulk, Spider-Man etc. Sooo good. Watchmen was on another level though, imo.

Last edited by Helious : 27th December 2009 at 22:28.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:28     #307
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
time seized to exist
ceased, bro ;)

Yeah Watchmen was 'aight but one and I'm done. It never lived up to the promise of that opening.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:29     #308
Helious

I wondered about that, my 4th Form education fails me at the best of times~ and it wasn't a Superhero movie it was an Anti-Hero movie, IIRC?!

Last edited by Helious : 27th December 2009 at 22:30.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:31     #309
doppelgänger of someone

If you like Watchmen the movie, then do yourself a favour, buy Watchmen the comic book tradepaperback. Read it and love it.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:36     #310
Helious

A guy I used to work with had the softcover, he was reading it at work on his breaks before the movie came out. One of my goals for 2010 is to read more books, I've never really read books, maybe a dozen or so in my 25 years on the planet? My aim is to be "always reading a book"; I've read 3 books in the last week. So I'm well on my way. I'm currently reading through Erik Larson's The Devil In The White City. No.1 New York Times Bestseller.

I find reading to be a soothing experience.

Last edited by Helious : 27th December 2009 at 22:38.
Old 27th December 2009, 23:30     #311
lektronimo

Swedish vampire film which shits all over every other vampire film ever: Let the Right One In.
Old 28th December 2009, 07:50     #312
ZoSo

Bollocks. Near Dark still owns it.
Old 28th December 2009, 08:16     #313
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

if you havent seen avatar in 3d yet you should , easily the best big screen movie I have ever seen.
Old 28th December 2009, 09:58     #314
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
Swedish vampire film which shits all over every other vampire film ever: Let the Right One In.
Definitely a very good film, although I find it difficult to compare to other vampire films. I wouldn't say it's better than other vampire flicks, rather it's a different (and very interesting) take.
Old 28th December 2009, 10:24     #315
lektronimo

Perhaps so, I got a little carried away after watching it last night. It's much better then gay goth spin Hollywood takes every time, as the story is about awkward adolescence and not so much about the supernatural. Violent parts reminded me of Omen, but more subtle if not fully implied as the vampire part never really takes center stage during the movie. It is also beautifully shot, although I found the early part too claustrophobic, probably because of tight crops and use of long lenses. Still, the movie is unique in its approach and I fully recommend it.

Another movie which blew me away is Baraka re-release on bluray. Simply one of the most stunning examples of cinematography, and incredible transfers ever. If you're a movie buff, you will get this... simple as that. It's not a *movie* exactly, but think of it as BBC's Earth series without the narration, just epic soundtrack. The bluray version has a making of documentary which in itself is fascinating as they talk about all of the logistical, and socio-economic problems they faced along the way.

I'll do my Mr and Mrs Smith review later

Last edited by lektronimo : 28th December 2009 at 10:26.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:26     #316
herp

Quote:
I watched that this morning! I gave it a 7 out of 10. It could've been a lot better and I grow tired of Ricky's mannerisms, he's quite limited as an actor in a leading role, his scope is relatively small compared to other comedian actors. I love his stand-up however, so yeah, I should just shut the fuck up! Ghost Town was much better, 8/10.
Hey Ricky, nice directing there buddy. 3 musical montages so far, didn't know you took your cues from Rocky. Invention of Lying was rubbish, don't try and analyze a shit movie Helious, you're better than that.

Hey Clint Eastwood, I liked Gran Torino but Invictus,... good work developing a script for 30 minutes then devoting the next hour and a half to progress of the Springboks in the 95 world cup. BTW Where the fuck was Suzie?

Bitch
Old 28th December 2009, 21:54     #317
madmaxii

Lek, I *ahem* "acquired" a copy of Baraka this afternoon and watched it this evening. Very powerful with beautiful photography and great music. Hard to believe it was filmed in 1992. Thanks for the pointer
Old 29th December 2009, 05:46     #318
xin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
if you havent seen avatar in 3d yet you should , easily the best big screen movie I have ever seen.
If you watched it in 2D would it still be the best big screen movie you've ever seen?

If not, then it's probably not the best big screen movie you've ever seen.
Old 29th December 2009, 11:27     #319
Haydos

(300) Days of Summer.
I'll admit, it was one the wife wanted to watch but I found myself enjoying it as much as she did, mostly cause I spent the entire movie falling in love with Zooey Deschanel (fucker, first in Yes Man, now in this)

Good film for a quiet evening with you and your loved one.
Old 29th December 2009, 11:59     #320
Pleb'a

Yeh, I watched that with the wife yesterday too. I really enjoyed it.

I think you become too obsesses with Zooey Deschanel, it was 500 days of summer