NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13th November 2022, 10:40     #4401
[fe]

Watching starwars machete with some who have never seen it. Watching empire after many years.. So good. ESP After the upbeat ending of the first one.
Old 16th November 2022, 00:58     #4402
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

'Constantine 2' Director Francis Lawrence Reveals How Keanu Reeves Sequel Is Finally Happening
Old 16th November 2022, 11:49     #4403
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [fe]
Watching starwars machete with some who have never seen it. Watching empire after many years.. So good. ESP After the upbeat ending of the first one.
What cuts of the movies are you watching?
Old 16th November 2022, 21:23     #4404
[fe]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
What cuts of the movies are you watching?
Disney+ versions. Not sure if the best but seem pretty good.
Old 17th November 2022, 10:04     #4405
Cyberbob

I feel like an abridged version of The Clone Wars series should be compulsory viewing between II and III.

It adds so much to the characters, specifically Anakin.
Old 17th November 2022, 10:30     #4406
[fe]

Things came to a shuddering halt half way through EPIII, attention spans waned. So now I have to make the case to churn through the next 40ish mins to get to the showdown. Then to ewok land.

Disney love remaking stuff. I would love to see a refactored/reinterpreted version of the prequels. Animated would be fine. (havent seen clone wars - sounds like I should?)

Last edited by [fe] : 17th November 2022 at 10:32.
Old 17th November 2022, 11:03     #4407
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I thought Clone Wars was cheap money grab when it first aired, but I came to respect it. Hell, it even made me look at the PT differently.
Holy shiiiiiit I just binged Season 7 and it was so good. There were some filler episodes but the last four or five episode together were a movie a million times more true to Star Wars than the Disney sequels.
Old 17th November 2022, 11:04     #4408
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I feel like an abridged version of The Clone Wars series should be compulsory viewing between II and III.

It adds so much to the characters, specifically Anakin.
Always thought Star Wars: Clone Wars was better suited to that, personally.
Old 23rd November 2022, 05:04     #4409
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Wakanda Forever wasn't bad; 6/10. Dragged on a bit.
Yeah - was a bit long, and some of the fight sequences were too fast - hard to work out what was going on when it was an all out melee.

The Marvel title change was a nice tribute to Boseman, and it worked as a nice stand alone story without leaning on other Avengers. I found the grief undertone poignant, but primarily because I'm dealing with the death of a chap from the pub on early Sunday morning, so my headspace is a bit wonky.

Martin and Julia's characters were previously married? If that's canon in the comics then I guess it's not a spoiler.
Old 24th November 2022, 09:51     #4410
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Yeah - was a bit long, and some of the fight sequences were too fast - hard to work out what was going on when it was an all out melee.

The Marvel title change was a nice tribute to Boseman, and it worked as a nice stand alone story without leaning on other Avengers. I found the grief undertone poignant, but primarily because I'm dealing with the death of a chap from the pub on early Sunday morning, so my headspace is a bit wonky.

Martin and Julia's characters were previously married? If that's canon in the comics then I guess it's not a spoiler.
Sincerely sorry to hear about your mate, brother.

Yeah the onion-cutting ninjas were hiding out in the cinema with us too. The tribute to Boseman was fantastic, and the genuine emotion on actors faces (especially that last beach fireplace scene) was clear
Old 9th December 2022, 19:58     #4411
wazza
*flex*

watched emancipation
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12530246/

pretty good imo, didnt feel like the runtime, flowed nicely
Old 11th December 2022, 19:04     #4412
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Northman. Intense. Not a by-the-numbers Hollywood flick.
Old 11th December 2022, 21:32     #4413
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The Northman. Intense. Not a by-the-numbers Hollywood flick.
Saw it a few months ago, popcorn movie with a fairly predictable ending.

Alexander Sarsgaard is definitely typecast these days...
Old 15th December 2022, 17:22     #4414
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sigh, Cavill's out again.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...nces-new-movie
Old 15th December 2022, 19:26     #4415
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That is disappointing, Cavill was Superman for me!
Old 15th December 2022, 19:39     #4416
Redneck

Certainly the best one since Reeve
Old 15th December 2022, 20:07     #4417
_indigo1

Yeah he has a knack for fitting roles so well you can't really imagine anyone else doing them.
Old 15th December 2022, 23:09     #4418
Lightspeed

Cavill's kinda like the highest form of nerd, at least that's the image he portrays, and it seems to hold up.

I'm not surprised Gunn and co. want to move on from the current state of the DC. It's a hot mess.
Old 16th December 2022, 17:43     #4419
Lightspeed

I like the sound of this:

Henry Cavill's New Dream Gig Might Be a Warhammer 40K Series at Amazon
Old 17th December 2022, 14:21     #4420
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://deadline.com/2022/12/henry-c...os-1235200833/
Old 17th December 2022, 14:23     #4421
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
“ And they shall know no fear, except at the prospect of Henry Cavill explaining, in detail, the lore behind every single thing on set”

Old 17th December 2022, 14:29     #4422
blynk

So I was thinking, if Cavill had of been in Marvel, it could have been a long run of a character for him (like RDJ or Hugh Jackman) and it probably would have been really good.

But I'm actually starting to wonder. Would he have stuck around for so long? or would he have early on just decided he had had enough and moved on to another project.

I haven't really followed the reasons behind him leaving DC and Witcher
Old 17th December 2022, 18:53     #4423
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I haven't really followed the reasons behind him leaving DC and Witcher
Witcher: Showrunner and writers started to significantly deviate from the source material, and indicated they'd do so further in later seasons.

DC: He was on to play Superman after Black Adam, but since James Gunn has been handed DC, Gunn wants to take it in another direction, starting with a younger Superman that Cavil isn't suitable to play.

So neither was his choice to abandon the properties he was passionate about IMO.
Old 17th December 2022, 20:22     #4424
StN
I have detailed files

3:15 of very pretty cartoon.

See it.

Uncle Bully does Uncle Bully. Jemaine does Jemaine. Annoying Aussie.. well, you get the picture. Greenpeace would be proud.
Old 18th December 2022, 14:27     #4425
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Saw it yesterday myself, first time I've been to the movies since Endgame.

Agree with everything Stoolie says above. Loved it.

There was a sort of The Two Towers/TESB/Infinity War feel about it in that I knew no matter what the plot points were, there was not going to be a real resolution to anything by the time the movie ended.

I've never felt more horrified at being descended from the captain of a whaling ship. Came out of the cinema and wanted to quit my job and volunteer for Sea Shepherd.

Much love for Cliff.

Parts of the movie were like a James Cameron highlight reel; high-tech submarines, space marines tooling up before the mission, protagonists trying not to drown as the big sinking ship filled with water. But I'll let it pass. It was cool.

The Papyrus typeface was hilarious. It's a joke now. Every time a subtitle came up I wanted to laugh.

Tell you what was weird, watching a blue teenage alien and it being totally 100% Sigourney Weaver.

The water simulations were freakin incredible. Yeah at some points it felt a bit Finding Nemo but there were other parts where I believed it was real underwater footage and stopped thinking about it.

Looking forward to the next one, it's James Cameron's world and I'm happy to put my hand in my pocket for it.
Old 18th December 2022, 18:06     #4426
StN
I have detailed files

Heh - my first post got phone munted and missed the mark - but I did mention US censorship quotas and the judicious use of "Fuck!" in a serious screenplay.

It was well used.

I understand most of the underwater work was actually practical motion capture (vis-s-vis Kates record exceeding Tom's) at 30' (10m, 1 atmosphere??) and the whole thing was an expansion, as Ab mentioned, of not just the water films, but the sequels as well. Aliens and T2 both contributed to his palette (I don't think that's a spoiler in any way).
Old 19th December 2022, 00:44     #4427
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
most of the underwater work was actually practical motion capture
Whaaaaaaaat
Old 19th December 2022, 06:37     #4428
Cyberbob

I saw Kate Winslet broke the "holding breath underwater on a film set" world record while filming it. Seven minutes and 15 seconds.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 19th December 2022 at 06:41.
Old 19th December 2022, 06:45     #4429
wazza
*flex*

a+
Old 21st December 2022, 11:59     #4430
crocos

From the "If only it were real" files:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Pcu6wTzoA

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 26th December 2022, 12:01     #4431
[fe]

Didn’t enjoy glass onion as much as knives out. The setup was good.
Old 27th December 2022, 18:33     #4432
Cyberbob

Enjoyed Glass Onion. It's very different to the first Knives Out film, sure, but I really enjoyed how it played with the viewers expectations.
Old 30th December 2022, 19:36     #4433
_Incubus_

Finally got around to seeing Blue Space Monkeys 2, was good. Would have enjoyed it being about 30 mins shorter, lots of CGI padding shots could have been cut.

Fell asleep at one point..kids woke me up because of my snoring.
Old 7th January 2023, 18:10     #4434
Know me.

If you like to feel shame and fear then I can recommend The Banshees of Inisherin. Two hours of it with as many laughs as a Shakespear comedy.
Old 11th January 2023, 17:56     #4435
Cyberbob

Super glad RRR's Naatu Naatu won "Best Original Song - Motion Picture" today.

Also awesome to see Ke Huy Quan get Best Supporting Actor and Michelle Yeoh get Best Actress for Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 11th January 2023 at 17:57.
Old 21st January 2023, 19:23     #4436
wazza
*flex*

went into Triangle of Sadness without knowing anything about, not even the movie poster. heard someone on a podcast mention it.

great movie
Old 29th January 2023, 14:02     #4437
Lightspeed

Bullet Train is pretty good fun. Not-quite-comic violence.
Old 29th January 2023, 14:42     #4438
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Bullet Train is pretty good fun. Not-quite-comic violence.
Old 13th February 2023, 22:24     #4439
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I really want to hate the movie, but the Flash trailer looks great. A variation on “Flashpoint” by the looks?
Old 14th February 2023, 06:44     #4440
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I really want to hate the movie, but the Flash trailer looks great. A variation on “Flashpoint” by the looks?
That Elfman-esq crescendo in the cave.

And on IMDB, Miller has 4th billing - Ha! and for some reason, Aquamans dad pops up?)