NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 19th March 2024, 00:20     #201
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

That's cool but no one signed up to co-governance.
The clue is in the fact those words aren't used.

Continued authority over *their* (o ratou) resources [those which they possessed] was granted. Not authority over *all* natural resources. One Maori chief did not have authority over another Maori chief's land just because they were also Maori and were somehow magic guardians of natural resources. It's a simple recognition of property rights.

It was reassurance that they could still run their shit /while they owned it/, but once it was going to be sold the Queen had dibs. Immediately after describing how they had authority over the resources they possessed, it detailed how the Queen had first option when they wanted to sell (dispose of - no longer possess) said resources. If the connection was not made between ownership and authority and dispossession/relinquishing authority, then that's not our problem 150 years later.

Clearly now they don't possess all resources. No possession, no authority. Any land/resources that are still in their possession, are still under their authority. But there's no magic "therefore co-governance" just because once upon a time property rights were mentioned over resources that they valued and possessed which they still value but no longer possess.

TLDR: All they signed up for were property rights.
Old 19th March 2024, 08:14     #202
fixed_truth

Article 1 gifts Kawanatanga (governance) and what this looks like is made clearer by Article 2 with Maori retaining Tino Rangatiratanga (chiefly authority).

Claiming Maori just willingly gave up their country is a wild take.
Old 19th March 2024, 13:28     #203
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Article 1 gifts Kawanatanga (governance) and what this looks like is made clearer by Article 2 with Maori retaining Tino Rangatiratanga (chiefly authority).

Claiming Maori just willingly gave up their country is a wild take.
Please quote the relevant parts. Don't paraphrase or summarize or imply or assume. Show me the words of the contract, in whichever language you believe says it best, and how you think they mean what you claim they mean.

Because reading the words at face value (of the Maori version which is supposed to say something different to the English which is obviously not what you claim), to me they say no such thing. It seems awfully clear.

Article 1 says "The chiefs of the Confederation and all the chiefs who have not joined that Confederation give absolutely to the Queen of England for ever the complete government over their land." That's a big difference from what you're claiming.

I already addressed Article 2 and how it's basically property rights (control/authority) over resources in their possession (ie, they did not have to surrender all their property/land, which may well have been a concern). It certainly does not give them complete control/authority over *all* natural resources.

From memory [which is fallible] the treaty claims used to be based around "stolen land" or dishonest deals. At some point in the last 20 years it's moved from being "the contract was broken by theft and we lost possession unfairly" [and I was not present during any of the deals or agreements, so I can only assume someone DID take advantage at some point and these may have been valid objections] to "this contract actually says we went 50/50 in the country and are not subjects of the Queen at all, and we want Maori descendants to have superior voting power".

To that, it's a hard disagree from me.

And they didn't "give up willingly" - there were wars and fighting and bloodshed, and the Treaty was a way to put an end to this and become what was meant to be a civil society, living as one people under the protection of the Queen.

Can you please address my point about whether one Maori chief has authority over the land of another Maori chief, on the basis that they are both Maori? Because I think this point makes it clear that chiefs maintain authority only over *that which they possess* and not authority over all resources in the entire country. From there, the rest follows.
Old 19th March 2024, 13:43     #204
Lightspeed

It's real funny how indigenous partnership over stewardship of resources is just like Nazi Germany.

I mean, if I look around the world, the closest thing I can find to Nazi Germany is in the Middle East right now. But apparently that's all right and just.

Interesting times I suppose.
Old 20th March 2024, 09:40     #205
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

Rt Hon Winston Peters - Media Misrepresentation, Inconsistency, And Dripping Bias

Quote:
Not once in my speech did I mention anything of, nor made comparisons to, the horrific holocaust or genocide, nor did I compare it to co-governance.

I stated a fact that Waititi made public comments about a certain race and ethnicity having superior DNA to other races and ethnicities in our country – and that we had seen that before, knowing that is the seed of division, racism, and the ‘horrors of history’. That statement I made is a fact.

The moment you argue that one race has superior DNA to other races you're leading to awful racial consequences.

I'm not backing down one iota. I want everybody in this country no matter whether they're here for 1000 years or here yesterday legally to be treated the same - equally as one people.

I make no apology for that.
Old 20th March 2024, 18:30     #206
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I get what Winston is trying to achieve here - publicity for himself - but I hope nobody informs him that almost all Olympic sprint champions are East African, or that almost all Nobel physics and maths winners are Ashkenazi Jewish.
Old 20th March 2024, 19:09     #207
fixed_truth

Good to see Winston branching out from his pakeha boomer base to getting those sweet post-covid antisocial/antivax/dunning Kruger votes.
Old 20th March 2024, 19:10     #208
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I liked how he called out the media for effectively narking on him to Chumbawumba ("lefty shill!") lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BErpayBeV5s

Thank you, thank you, I voted for this entertainment. Our politics would be boring as hell without him.
Old 20th March 2024, 21:23     #209
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Anyone who thinks this isn't exactly what Winston wanted to happen needs to wake up.
Old 20th March 2024, 21:36     #210
Cyberbob

"There’s only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Old 20th March 2024, 22:26     #211
Lightspeed

Is it what Luxon wants?

Maybe this Winston business is good cover. I feel having van Velden front for a lot of these ridiculous decisions is working for National.
Old 21st March 2024, 12:56     #212
Lightspeed

The unprecedented power the government is handing three of its ministers under its new Fast Track Approval Bill

At least it's not Three Waters, amirite?
Old 28th March 2024, 17:19     #213
Lightspeed

Government halts plan for Kermadec Ocean Sanctuary

Gotta get in while the lootin's good.
Old 28th March 2024, 20:36     #214
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I believe the phrase is “full exclusive and undisturbed possession of their Lands and Estates Forests Fisheries”

The Crown doesn’t get to tell iwi where they can and can’t catch fish. Te Tiriti, bitches.
Old 29th March 2024, 01:02     #215
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

God defend the asteroid.
Old 29th March 2024, 15:18     #216
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I believe the phrase is “full exclusive and undisturbed possession of their Lands and Estates Forests Fisheries”

The Crown doesn’t get to tell iwi where they can and can’t catch fish. Te Tiriti, bitches.
Iwi are as capable of looting as anyone. Iwi are as capable of forming agreements as anyone. Iwi have institutions and conventions capable of restricting the behaviour of the community as is deemed necessary.

The Crown is capable of engaging with iwi and enacting legislation with their cooperation.

The current representatives of the Crown have other priorities however.
Old 1st April 2024, 12:28     #217
Lightspeed

If Maori start getting too much say over local resources, we cry "save our democracy!"

But those same voices are silent when we give the power to a few individuals to hand over our resources with a wave of the pen.

Taranaki seabed mining firm throws itself on ministers’ mercy

Quote:
Mining company Trans-Tasman Resources has unexpectedly withdrawn its application for a consent to suck the valuable metals vanadium and titanium from the Taranaki seafloor, as it apparently wagers on the Government’s new fast-track process.
🤷
Old 4th April 2024, 14:37     #218
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Confidence in Government collapses

Voter confidence about whether NZ is on the right track or wrong track collapsed in March by more than during the late-2021 lockdowns

https://thekaka.substack.com/p/confi...ment-collapses
Old 4th April 2024, 16:46     #219
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Confidence in Government collapses
Quote:
A Roy Morgan poll taken last month and published last night shows confidence in whether the country is on the right track or wrong track collapsed by 17 percentage points in March from February, which is more than it fell during any of the covid lockdown months in Auckland in late 2021.

But the poll’s measure of support for the respective parties showed little movement yet, with combined support for the National/ACT/NZ First coalition parties up one percentage point from February to 56%, while support for Labour/Green was down half a percentage point at 40.5%.
I mean, sort of. The country's a mess, but people are still supporting the new government.

I tend to think our population is still divided (ideologically), many struggling financially, and concerned about the future and whether anyone has an actual plan or if we're just fumbling along.

We previously had a useless government that the media defended at all costs, now we have a new government that the media is attacking constantly. If you get your perspective from what the media tells you, you're probably shocked. If you don't watch the news but only see the outrage clips, it's comical. Things don't change overnight, but the news is on every day, so there are far more opportunities to be outraged than celebrate the progress made.
Old 5th April 2024, 10:55     #220
blynk

I feel this will be the constant stream of headlines over the next 6-12 months

mental-health-minister-scrambles-suicide-prevention-office-caught-cuts
The other week it was disabilities.

The government running around "Cuts, Cuts, Cuts, Bureaucracy etc etc". And suddenly have to go Oh Shit. No, we are not cutting that, or that, or that.

After the 6 - 12 months of those, we will start hitting the stories that because the "back room" staff were cut, the front line staff are spending more time in the back room making up for it.

I'm not saying that there is no room for cuts. But going back to 2017 levels and not adjusting for population growth & inflation is bad.
And doing it in such a short space of time is just going to cause more issues. Do it over the next 3-6 years.
Old 5th April 2024, 11:43     #221
StN
I have detailed files

I saw a bit of back peddling last week in the GCSB committee broadcast where they stated that the recent merger of NCSC and NZCERT had rationalised their resourcing and that they are staffed at about the correct level. Just after detailing how the PRC were all up in Parliamentary Services business, which seemed to quickly cut off any discussions around staff cutbacks.

Well played GCSB. I seem to recall Reti campaigning on cutting back on back-room consultants like InfoSec who were creaming it.
Old 5th April 2024, 13:27     #222
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

All the cuts are just theatre while we have a “Minister of Racing”.
Old 7th April 2024, 13:59     #223
Lightspeed

van Velden caught saying the quiet part out loud:

ACT's Brooke van Velden clarifies comments suggesting 'we completely blew out what the value of a life was' during COVID-19

Quote:
ACT deputy leader Brooke van Velden has clarified she supported the former Government's COVID-19 measures at the time but says "valid" questions need to be asked about the wider social ramifications.

It comes after the Internal Affairs Minister, before the election, suggested at HealthTech Week that when "it came to COVID, we completely blew out what the value of a life was, completely, I've never seen such a high value on life".
Old 8th April 2024, 16:39     #224
Lightspeed

Trans-Tasman Resources invited to apply for fast tracking

Quote:
The Government has formally invited Trans-Tasman Resources to prepare an application for its controversial seabed mining proposal to be included as a listed project in the Fast-track Approvals Bill.

The announcement was made to the Australian Securities Exchange on Monday by Manuka Resources, the parent company of Trans-Tasman Resources.

A statement by Manuka Resources said the decision was a “positive step” towards achieving the final approval needed to mine 3.2 billion tonnes of iron sand offshore in the South Taranaki Bight.
Old 11th April 2024, 19:32     #225
Lightspeed

DOC Chief Science Advisor among roles proposed to go

This makes sense, no point spending money on advice no one interested in listening to.
Old 11th April 2024, 21:38     #226
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fire 'em all.

Old 11th April 2024, 21:44     #227
Lightspeed

I reckon. May as well just get rid of anyone wearing glasses. Fucking smarty pants, get back to the farm! Amirite?
Old 12th April 2024, 14:56     #228
Lightspeed

Now that the government has scrapped our ferries, they've appointed an advisory group to figure out what to do with that mess:

https://insidegovernment.co.nz/kiwir...nts-announced/

Let's see how a couple of airport execs and a government yes man can find a better options than the new ferries that we'd already invested hundreds of millions on.
Old 12th April 2024, 15:49     #229
Lightspeed

Oceans and Fisheries Minister Shane Jones scraps sea lion safeguard amid declining population

May as well live it up now, the future generations are buggered anyways. 🤷
Old 12th April 2024, 18:21     #230
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You elects NZ First and you takes the ride.
Old 15th April 2024, 12:53     #231
Lightspeed

Government won't commit to funding emergency housing support services past June
Old 15th April 2024, 12:59     #232
Lightspeed

Government investigates 4km tunnel under Wellington

Ah, I see how this works now. Gut the ferries, make getting to the airport easier.

I wonder how many former or current airport/airline execs are involved in all of this?
Old 15th April 2024, 19:08     #233
MadMax
Stuff

Some numpty on the news tonight referring to how Japan has lots of tunnels in reference to the obvious risk

Also Japan:
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/power...coast-13106914
Old 16th April 2024, 13:23     #234
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Government investigates 4km tunnel under Wellington

Ah, I see how this works now. Gut the ferries, make getting to the airport easier.

I wonder how many former or current airport/airline execs are involved in all of this?
Don't forget, the NZ Govt is the majority shareholder of Air New Zealand
Old 16th April 2024, 19:41     #235
MadMax
Stuff

This book being displayed front n centre on the kids’ book shelf in the media show of David Seymour visiting an ECE made me laugh

https://www.penguin.co.nz/books/taki...-9780143774518

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/po...cation-sector/

Last edited by MadMax : 16th April 2024 at 19:45.
Old 17th April 2024, 00:14     #236
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's like having the head of your defeated enemy in the trophy room.
Old 18th April 2024, 13:24     #237
Lightspeed

facepalm

Oranga Tamariki services for at-risk children will get better after job cuts, minister says

Quote:
The Children's Minister is promising Oranga Tamariki will get better at taking care of at-risk children - not worse - as a result of this week's job cuts.

The public service took its biggest hit yet on Wednesday, with a combined 1000 jobs on the chopping block at Oranga Tamariki and the Ministry of Education.

It is likely OT's evidence centre, responsible for collecting information about what works to keep children safe, will be significantly impacted in the cuts.
I guess there won't be any information available to prove different.
Old 19th April 2024, 12:10     #238
blynk

National party love the line about having business experience.

You can tell what type of level of business experience National. The top. Where they just say "we need to cut money from the business" and make departments cut - with consequences.

I would agree that there are likely to be too many public servants, but cut them over 3 years, not 3 months.
If they want efficiencies in the departments, then give them the time to actually do that.

And then the cuts should go top down. Streamline the execs and senior managers, then the mid level manager and then at the end the office workers.

Yes it sucks for anyone to be laid off, but I bet there are more low paid staff going than higher paid
Old 19th April 2024, 13:21     #239
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There are 4509 employees at the Ministry of Education. In June 2017 there were 2607. Since 2017 NZ's educational performance has gone down the toilet. Not all of those 4509 need to be there.
Old 19th April 2024, 13:47     #240
Lightspeed

I don't believe anyone is being judicious about any of these cuts.

It's simply applying pressure and letting that do the work. We're not figuring out what expertise is needed where. We're making arbitrary cuts and letting bureaucracy do the work.

Cuts will be focused around what the public is least aware of or interested in, not what will least impact any organisations' ability to provide effective services.