Password

Old 27th April 2021, 07:22     #4161
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Stowaway

Not bad, 6.5/10
I'm no rocket scientist, but was very happy to see that Scott Manley confirmed that the Max-Q call out during liftoff was at a very wrong time. (How can the vessel be experiencing maximum dynamic pressure during after the second stage separation when almost in Low Earth Orbit and enroute to the Mars Transfer unit and pretty much in a vacuum?)

But, much like First Man, no external shots of the liftoff, which adds gravitas to the drama unfolding within the crew capsule.

Reminded me a bit of Space Cowboys at one stage.
Old 28th April 2021, 16:32     #4162
Lightspeed

I'm still wondering what you fullas were expecting from Mortal Kombat. We all getting old but I think some of you are starting to... age.
Old 28th April 2021, 17:21     #4163
crocos

It wasn't GREAT... but it was good, and it was what I was expecting - cheesy, OTT CGI fight-scenes, barely coherent plot.

No Schindler's List, but it was fun and I enjoyed it... even if I felt there was still something missing from it.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 28th April 2021, 22:18     #4164
Cyberbob

You don't go into Godzilla versus King Kong or Mortal Kombat expecting Best Actor nominations, so I had pretty low expectations going in.

I was amazed at the first seven minutes. It was treated seriously, a great scene with tension, emotional buy in, some great choregraphed fights. The Ronin versus the Ninja, great samurai cinema.

Unfortunately it was all down hill from there.

You're immediately introduced to random MMA fighter who ends up being centric to the story. I'm actually happy they went for an original character here. Then to Jax Briggs, token black guy. He got worse as the film went on, not to mention the shitty CG job they did on his robot arms.

Then I knew the movie was taking a dive when you're introduced to he guy playing Shang Tsung was at the absolute opposite end of the spectrum, chewing the scenery worse than Nic Cage. I'm glad he was sidelined for most of the movie.

Sonya Blade? I bet I'm not the only one that picked up on the sole female good guy character being the liability of the group.

I preferred Christopher Lambert's 1995 Raiden.

Other than Kano, the bad guys were one dimensional fan service. Mileena (the girl with the teeth) was sorely underused. I did like her bamf fighting effects though.
Goro taken out in a single fight as soon as Cole goes Super Saiyan, which was telegraphed to the audience as soon as he teleported to his one dimensional family life.
Reptile could have been an awesome but they made the same mistake as the 1995-97 MK's and made him a CG lizard that lasts all of 30 seconds.

Kung Lao and Liu Kang at the temple take the movie down a notch again. Hilariously bad performances from both of them IMO. Such a decline from those first seven minutes of awesomeness.

I could have watched 90 minutes of a seriously done Scorpion vs Sub Zero story and would have been happy.

It could have been The Boys of seriously treated, violent superhero fantasy with martial arts. Instead it was Green Lantern.

edit: OK a little better than Green Lantern.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 28th April 2021 at 22:22.
Old 29th April 2021, 20:42     #4165
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
was very happy to see that Scott Manley confirmed that the Max-Q call out during liftoff was at a very wrong time
It pleased me greatly to find out he was consulted on the movie in the first place (thanks - I wasn't aware until you mentioned it).

Last edited by Savage : 29th April 2021 at 20:45.
Old 29th April 2021, 20:59     #4166
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I'm still wondering what you fullas were expecting from Mortal Kombat. We all getting old but I think some of you are starting to... age.
Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but I expected Mortal Kombat. That was not Mortal Kombat. I'm a big MK nerd, and I wanted the MK tournament, the OG character roster, fatalities, something better than Fisher-Price-My-First-Shang-Tsung etc.

Unlike Bob, I didn't like that they introduced a new char who didn't exist in any of the iterations of the game; there are so many characters with great back stories from which they could have chosen. Didn't like a lot of the artistic licence they used to try and make things fit (e.g. Kano's eye, having to "learn/unlock" their abilities, etc.) Also accept that it was MEANT to be cheesy and OTT, but surely as the first R rated MK movie, if they were going to try ... why not go balls to the wall and basically remake MK1 game as a movie?

My biggest personal let down is that 26 years after the first MK effort, I'm STILL waiting for a live action showing MK1 Sub-Zero's fatality I accept that they worked in versions of some of the others, but goddammit I want Sub-Zero's

Agree with every other one of Bob's comments, especially about the first 10 minutes of the movie (i.e. the trailer) being awesome while the rest was just ... poo.

WTB a full MK remake with Kevin Tancharoen (director of MK: Legacy series) at the helm with a big budget
Old 30th April 2021, 20:11     #4167
wazza
*flex*

agree with Cyberbob and Savage
Old 1st May 2021, 11:31     #4168
wazza
*flex*

https://youtu.be/3xU-vIVwuDA?t=2948

lol, Luke Thomas (MMA Journalist) responds to question "Did you like the new Mortal Kombat movie"

Old 22nd May 2021, 19:20     #4169
Lightspeed

Exclamation

Oh, snap!

Henry Cavill To Star in Lionsgate’s ‘Highlander’ Reboot From Chad Stahelski
Old 22nd May 2021, 21:41     #4170
crocos

Another reboot because no one has any ideas anymore?

Old 22nd May 2021, 22:32     #4171
blynk

Nope, another reboot because hollywood is working through the nostalgia period.
Old 26th May 2021, 10:46     #4172
crocos

Gunpowder Milkshake - looks like what Sucker Punch wishes it was.

Old 26th May 2021, 22:13     #4173
Cyberbob

Marvel's Eternals

I don't know these guys from a bar of soap, but I said the same thing about the Guardians.

Looks interesting enough to me. Got a bit sick of the Avengers so it's a refreshing change.
Old 27th May 2021, 19:02     #4174
Savage

Wrath of Man

Good action film; didn't feel like a Guy Ritchie movie though. Missing the quirky humour and one liners from Lock Stock, The Gentlemen, Snatch etc.
Standard Statham fare

6.5/10
Old 27th May 2021, 19:55     #4175
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Marvel's Eternals

I don't know these guys from a bar of soap, but I said the same thing about the Guardians.

Looks interesting enough to me. Got a bit sick of the Avengers so it's a refreshing change.
Dunno man, that trailer left me completely cold. Didn’t make me care about the movie at all.
Old 27th May 2021, 22:50     #4176
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Wrath of Man

Good action film; didn't feel like a Guy Ritchie movie though. Missing the quirky humour and one liners from Lock Stock, The Gentlemen, Snatch etc.
Standard Statham fare

6.5/10
I'm not usually much of a Statham fan but found this pretty entertaining.
Old 27th May 2021, 23:13     #4177
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Got a bit sick of the Avengers so it's a refreshing change.
Same, but I was never an Avengers fan growing up. I was Marvel. Just more the Xmen side of things.

I more believe this movie will fall in the middle of the MCU rankings, but will be there to set the ball rolling for new things in the future
Old 7th June 2021, 15:15     #4178
Lightspeed

I think I might watch The Rock:

The Rock is DEFINITELY a James Bond Movie
Old 18th June 2021, 12:14     #4179
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Nobody (2021)

Starring Bob Odenkirk, Christopher Lloyd, and RZA from Wu Tang

I liked it, especially because it doesn't contain superheroes or bullshit monsters.

Like the others, *she* didn't see all of it (missed the first bit, but woke up for the second half), and seemed to be good with it.

"From the makers of John Wick" said the blurb. Russian mobsters, ultraviolence, special set of skills, hidden currency in the basement...

Yes, very John Wickish. And Lloyd steals the show by not acting, just being an old man, with a cheeky grin, shuffling around with a couple of shotguns.

Loved the slow burn start, peaking at the tattoo reveal - "Thank you for your service...." quickly walks out of the room, clunk, lock, security chain rattle, slides peephole closed.

It shows promise as a new series - who would have though that Saul would be a middle aged action hero?
Old 18th June 2021, 12:24     #4180
Lightspeed

I really liked it, great mix of grit and fun. The first fight in the bus seemed like they were going for comical, but it felt hyperreal, like that's how a bunch of guys who just copped it would act. So good.

The final gun fight was pure cheese tho, the three of them back to back to back, blasting away.
Old 18th June 2021, 13:23     #4181
StN
I have detailed files

I liked how the chap in hiding who faked his death turned out to be the kind of chap that you wouldn't see because he was hiding.
Old 2nd July 2021, 00:07     #4182
crocos

Went to see F9 with my sister this evening.

Damn thing is almost entirely in the tradition of Laurel & Hardy - physical comedy! It's well beyond the physics-bending BS usually seen in "action" movies and straight to utter pisstake.

Went in expecting a laugh, and got that in spades. Yeah, recommended for low-brow BS hilarity.

Old 5th July 2021, 16:51     #4183
Lightspeed

I'm seeing Vin Diesel "family" memes about the place. That F9?
Old 5th July 2021, 20:31     #4184
crocos

<shrug> probably - I haven't seen those memes, but NZG tends to be the only place I see even sort-of concurrent memes nowadays as I don't spend as much time simply browsing.

Speaking of, time to fire up Minecraft.

Old 5th July 2021, 20:34     #4185
Lightspeed

Laugh

Memes contain many secrets crocos, don't neglect them.

I'm only half joking.
Old 7th July 2021, 23:10     #4186
StN
I have detailed files

Black Widow

Ok - uncanny valley check.

Anyone else put off by Romanovs face in the flashback scene while sitting in the car before the building explosion?

Next I'll find out it wasn't CGI, but just different makeup.

Also - there is a post credit scene.

Over all, better than I expected for a filler between Civil and Infinity wars.
Old 14th July 2021, 13:51     #4187
Lightspeed

Promotion for Free Guy:

Deadpool and Korg React

It's crazy how on top of the world Waititi is. Love that kiwi humour on the world stage.
Old 17th July 2021, 16:26     #4188
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Ok - uncanny valley check.

Anyone else put off by Romanovs face in the flashback scene while sitting in the car before the building explosion?

Next I'll find out it wasn't CGI, but just different makeup.

Also - there is a post credit scene.

Over all, better than I expected for a movie that was only ever going to be filler between Civil and Infinity wars.
Nah I thought her makeup was just done to make her look appropriately younger.

Yes better than expected; great chemistry between the "family". Barbour was hilarious as Red Guardian. Yelena is obviously being set up as the Phase 4 Widow.

Olga Kurylenko was just criminally wasted in that movie, she's a great actress and drop-dead gorgeous and didn't get anything to work with.

Movie by movie I'm beginning to think that Scarlett's true mutant ability is the way she can make her eyes fill with tears without actually crying. Some part of my dumb monkey brain just bluescreens when she does it.

I didn't like the end-credit scene. The reminder that Natasha was dead, and Valentina's lines, kinda trivialised the previous hour and a half. I know the endcredits have to set up the next cog in the machine but it felt clunky.

Not one of the MCU's best, but not one of its worst. I'd put it somewhere in the B tier but below entries like Homecoming, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange. Not as bad as dreck like Iron Man 3.

I'll certainly miss Natasha as a character. She went from being eyecandy to holding her own as one of the OG Avengers, full credit to Scarlett and the writers.
Old 19th July 2021, 19:59     #4189
Cyberbob

Space Jam New Legacy.

It's not going to win any Oscars, but my kids (10 & 7) really enjoyed it. It was better than I thought it was going to be.
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:34     #4190
crocos

Dune trailer 2 is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfWVVu1tVgQ

Old 23rd July 2021, 11:45     #4191
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Needs more Pink Floyd...
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:04     #4192
Cyberbob

The hype must flow.
Old 23rd July 2021, 13:13     #4193
[fe]

Had a nephew stay over for a few days sat down and went through ALIENS [1986] PREDATOR [1987] DIE HARD [1988].

To my mind the movies still hold up as action classics even if they do take a while to get started. Effects hold up for the most part. I have no idea if he was suffering through them or not...
Old 25th July 2021, 11:49     #4194
Ajax
Architeuthis

Man, I haven't seen a good movie in ages and it's getting me down. Suffered through the first half of Black Widow last night before falling asleep - just awful.

Still hyped for the Dune movie and also The Green Knight. Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be much on the horizon, just an onslaught of superhero crap and remakes.
Old 28th July 2021, 15:00     #4195
Lightspeed

New Ghost Busters movie looks fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKe5XTrThj8
Old 28th July 2021, 15:05     #4196
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Still hyped for the Dune movie
shut up you'll jinx it!
Old 28th July 2021, 16:59     #4197
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
New Ghost Busters movie looks fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKe5XTrThj8
Ghostbusters: TNG.

But really that does look decent - certainly a better take than the "What if we did Ghostbusters but with woman and we force them to spout really awkward dialogue" of the most recent attempt.

Old 30th July 2021, 16:22     #4198
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yes better than expected; great chemistry between the "family".
This was what the movie was about for me. The family reunion at the kitchen table was so well done. Florence Pugh was amazing, her emotional portrayal was spot on. I've seen that kid, I've been that kid. Painful shit going on around you and no one is filling you in on what's happening. It was really well written and performed.
Old 30th July 2021, 16:33     #4199
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I see Scarlett's lawyers have just filed suit against Disney for (checks notes) being Disney.
Old 30th July 2021, 17:19     #4200
crocos

And the predictable countersuit