Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 31st May 2007, 14:05     #1
BadNova

Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix - XBL and PSN

Quote:
You may have read about the upcoming, remastered version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo that will be coming out on both the XBox Live Arcade and the PS3’s online service. Since the initial announcement, we have learned a few more details and I’ve been able to piece together my thoughts on the developments.

First of all, Gamekult posted a “confidential” slide from the Capcom press conference that actually showed off the new Ryu sprite and how it compared to the original sprite in addition to the previous standard of high-resolution fighters, Guilty Gear X.

I took the liberty of cleaning up that slide and adding some fresh comparisons so that it is easier to see the difference. I’ve even added the Ryu sprite from Street Fighter 3 — the largest Ryu sprite until this generation.ryu-sprites.jpg

When I laid my eyes on this new sprite, I really had to do a double take to make sure that I was reading it correctly. But indeed, the new character sprites for SSF2T HD are so big and detailed, they don’t look like sprites at all. It looks like one of my remake dreams that I thought would never come true is actually becoming a reality.

As good as this single sprite looks, the true test will be seeing it in action. The number of frames in the character animation can make a huge difference. If they could exceed the animation in Street Fighter 3, I suppose that would be excellent.

It is also worth mentioning that the new sprites and artwork featured in this high definition remake is by UDON, the masterminds behind Capcom’s beautiful Street Fighter and Darkstalkers comic books.

When an iconic game like Street Fighter 2 receives such an overhaul, there is bound to be some gamers that are concerned. I thought this was addressed well by this comment made by Velops on the ******* post…

“There is also a risk that fans will not like the changes made to the animations. Hardcore fans have honed their skills based upon the the exact number frames for each attack animation. This includes hitbox sizes, reaction, and recovery times. If the change is noticeable, it could completely change the tiers for competitive online play.”

At the same time, I don’t think people should get too worried. Those dedicated to the original version will still have it to enjoy for their tournaments. Plus, there is nothing wrong with learning something new. A true fighting master should be able to learn different battle systems and adapt accordingly.

To ease the worry about how authentic this remake will feel, David Sirlin has confirmed that he is working on this project. He has worked on ports of Street Fighter 2 before and is an expert at the game himself.

Needless to say, I’m more that glad to see this true high-definition remake process turn into a continuing trend. Obviously, it would not be practical for every game, but it would be great to see some of the truly great games get a high-def makover while keeping the original feel intact. (High-res Sonic Trilogy, anyone?)

In case you missed it, we have an ongoing conversation about the Street Fighter remake going on in the forums. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/...g-sprites.html
Old 31st May 2007, 15:15     #2
]- Volatile -[

Cool but why release it only on XLA thats gay not everyone uses there box on the net.
Old 31st May 2007, 15:34     #3
TB

Becuase its probably like 10megs, and putting it on a DVD or BD would kinda be pointless.
Old 31st May 2007, 16:03     #4
FireStorm
Holmium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]- Volatile -[
Cool but why release it only on XLA thats gay not everyone uses there box on the net.
All arcade games are released on Xbox live... That's just the way it goes.
Old 1st June 2007, 16:15     #5
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]- Volatile -[
To piss off people with a modded Xbox? :P. Seriously you want the game you FIND a way to connect.
Old 1st June 2007, 16:27     #6
cEvin
Love In Vein

it's rare these days that graphics get me excited, especially early dev stuff, but SWEET JESUS that is cool.
Old 1st June 2007, 16:32     #7
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkey
Seriously you want the game you FIND a way to connect.
Tell that too my xbox which has just decided to stop connecting to Live - for no reason... as far as I can tell nothings changed - just refuses too connect...

Grrr... (sorry just wanted to vent about it!)

Pixie
Old 1st June 2007, 18:00     #8
TB

*Coff*Modded*Coff*
Old 1st June 2007, 18:46     #9
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Tell that too my xbox which has just decided to stop connecting to Live - for no reason... as far as I can tell nothings changed - just refuses too connect...

Grrr... (sorry just wanted to vent about it!)

Pixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
*Coff*Modded*Coff*
TB is on the money - MS just banned modded boxes from being able to connect to live.
Old 2nd June 2007, 21:37     #10
[Malks] Pixie

Well our Xbox is definitely not modded in anyway at all...

If that is the reason then I'll be spitting tacks.

Pixie
Old 6th June 2007, 18:56     #11
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Well our Xbox is definitely not modded in anyway at all...
Well I finally called Xbox live support and discovered that Telstraclears cable apparently no longer supports Xbox live without a router - which really pisses me off because they could have advised us that it was changing...

If anybody is interested that is...

Pixie
Old 7th June 2007, 02:42     #12
Torka

Quote:
Well I finally called Xbox live support and discovered that Telstraclears cable apparently no longer supports Xbox live without a router - which really pisses me off because they could have advised us that it was changing...

Pixie
What does "without a router" mean, in the context?
Old 7th June 2007, 08:14     #13
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torka
What does "without a router" mean, in the context?
Well we were plugging straight from our cable modem into our Xbox - and I've now been told that we need a router as a direct connection from our cable modem to the xbox will no longer work on a Telstra cable connection. Thats my understanding of it anyway - I guess I'll have to call Telstra at some point to talk about it but seeing as I've never actually gotten through to a human at telstra I don't hold out too much hope...

Pixie
Old 7th June 2007, 10:12     #14
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

shit... that's almost reason enough for me to get an xbox360.
Old 7th June 2007, 18:25     #15
Ezekiel 25:17

I played SFII on the XB360 ... geez it's had it's speed boosted for the ADD generation!

graphics ... meh. I'm fine with the old school. I have almost the entire SF series on my xbox apart from EX1. Alpha2/3 ftw.
Old 7th June 2007, 21:21     #16
Genesis

Quote:

Pixie
Completely retarded how they've dished out these bannings'. Another 'GG Microsoft' scenario.
Old 8th June 2007, 02:01     #17
Stilgar
Rough Joker

Ummm, I'll believe it when I see it running? Even with large sprites the animation could end up being lously. Tha would kill the game.
Old 8th June 2007, 08:10     #18
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
Completely retarded how they've dished out these bannings'. Another 'GG Microsoft' scenario.
Ummm what do you mean bannings - as I said above it was a change (apparently) to how the Telstra cable works that I now need a router. Nothing to do with Xbox live or M$ as far as I can tell. Thankfully Scummy has offered me the use of a router so I'll see if that fixes it for us.

Pixie
Old 8th June 2007, 08:26     #19
cEvin
Love In Vein

he means the live bans from microsoft, i don't know why he quoted you though.
Old 8th June 2007, 09:26     #20
BadNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar
Ummm, I'll believe it when I see it running? Even with large sprites the animation could end up being lously. Tha would kill the game.
I believe they've said they have to leave the animation as it was, so as to not change the game balance or pacing at all.
Old 8th June 2007, 09:46     #21
BadNova

http://blogs.capcomusa.com/blogs/dig...7/p315#more315

Old 18th June 2007, 14:50     #22
BadNova

Old 18th June 2007, 14:51     #23
BadNova

Old 18th June 2007, 17:52     #24
]- Volatile -[

Fuck yea Guiles the man!
Old 18th June 2007, 18:08     #25
]- Volatile -[

Old 24th October 2007, 20:36     #26
BadNova

Old 24th October 2007, 21:57     #27
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Looks pretty sweet.

SF4 trailer looks wicked also!
Old 25th October 2007, 08:51     #28
cEvin
Love In Vein

is there anything in motion of just screenshots?
Old 25th October 2007, 09:08     #29
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Seb
SF4 trailer looks wicked also!
D:

WHAT

WHERE

NOW

D:
Old 25th October 2007, 09:11     #30
BadNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
D:

WHAT

WHERE

NOW

D:
oh yeah, your paris-bound ass missed that announcement

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MZP3WYiOncI
Old 25th October 2007, 09:13     #31
Phantom
May contain nuts

Cheesy grin

spoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooge !!!!!!!!
Old 25th October 2007, 09:30     #32
BadNova

get on msn noob
Old 25th October 2007, 11:32     #33
IoriDyson

this is gonna look sweet on my ps3 with hdmi woop woop! hope they don't use the ssf2 guile voice.. hahahaha
Old 25th October 2007, 12:00     #34
]- Volatile -[

Looks great way better than the choppy low res clip of them play that stage on Youtube (SF2 not SF4 im talkin about)
Old 3rd November 2007, 00:19     #35
Stilgar
Rough Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNova
oh yeah, your paris-bound ass missed that announcement

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MZP3WYiOncI
whut? :|

if it's 3D i'll slit my wrists... (after I play it)
Old 13th March 2008, 10:15     #36
BadNova

Old 13th March 2008, 11:07     #37
dead goon

that is SEXY

DO WANT
Old 13th March 2008, 14:45     #38
BadNova

http://www.gamespot.com/video/939066...ix-interview-1

bit of direct feed in game footage there

Last edited by BadNova : 13th March 2008 at 14:47.
Old 14th March 2008, 08:53     #39
Dusty

Get your Gamespot linkage out of here...
Old 14th March 2008, 08:58     #40
Dazza

Strangely I was more excited only seeing the pics, after I saw the video, I'm not really anymore. Give me 3rd strike over this anyday.