Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Australian patriots defending their Second Amendment rights, like and subscribe
Old 14th December 2022, 17:28     #402
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Yeah - when I saw that on the news last night I said to the boy "Looks like more Covid anti-vax conspiracy nutters..." then realised I was just basing it on people going off grid.
+1, that was my immediate thought line also.

You have to be fuxked in the head to fire at police but it takes a special kind of fuxked to set fire to the grass of someone that’s fleeing.
Old 8th June 2023, 14:31     #403
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
According to a joint investigation from The Wall Street Journal and researchers at Stanford University and the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Instagram's algorithms are actively promoting networks of pedophiles who commission and sell child sexual abuse content on the app. The Verge reports:

Quote:
Accounts found by the researchers are advertised using blatant and explicit hashtags like #pedowhore, #preteensex, and #pedobait. They offer "menus" of content for users to buy or commission, including videos and imagery of self-harm and bestiality. When researchers set up a test account and viewed content shared by these networks, they were immediately recommended more accounts to follow. As the WSJ reports: "Following just a handful of these recommendations was enough to flood a test account with content that sexualizes children."

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/7/23...-investigation
Old 8th June 2023, 19:05     #404
wazza
*flex*

gross
Old 7th July 2023, 11:17     #405
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...usk-zuckerberg

Quote:
Twitter has threatened to sue Meta over its new Threads app, which Mark Zuckerberg has openly billed as a rival, claiming the company has violated Twitter’s “intellectual property rights”.

In a letter to CEO Mark Zuckerberg, first published by the news outlet Semafor, a lawyer for Twitter said the company “has serious concerns that Meta Platforms (Meta) has engaged in systematic, willful and unlawful misappropriation of Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property”.
Old 7th July 2023, 12:43     #406
Lightspeed

Old 12th July 2023, 17:09     #407
Lightspeed

This is one of those "I want it to be true so I'm sceptical it actually is" headlines:

Twitter is “tanking” amid Threads’ surging popularity, analysts say
Old 14th July 2023, 12:35     #408
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I've installed Threads to have a look (@realshg) but I'll never reinstall it or use it (fuck Facebook).

Any of you on the Bluesky beta? add me as @simongarlick.net if you are. It basically feels like Twitter circa 2011.

Also @[email protected].
Old 27th July 2023, 00:58     #409
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Omg fuck social media
https://www.thefp.com/p/seattle-time...r-hitler-lenin
Old 21st August 2023, 12:25     #410
Lightspeed

Elon clears up some drive space:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/20/2...t-co-shortener
Old 22nd August 2023, 12:35     #411
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If anyone wants to try Bluesky, which so far of the new services seems the most like Twitter circa 2012, I have an invite code to give away - first in gets it.
Old 29th September 2023, 22:49     #412
Lightspeed

Musk's X disabled feature for reporting electoral misinformation - researcher
Old 5th December 2023, 15:43     #413
fixed_truth

I love Tiktok, it's demonstrably made my life better.

Free access to top fitness trainers, management coaches, financial advisors. New music, sneakers, recipes, books, politics etc all tailored to what I'm interested in.

All while not interacting with anyone and easily skippable ads

Last edited by fixed_truth : 5th December 2023 at 15:44.
Old 5th December 2023, 15:49     #414
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
All while not interacting with anyone and easily skippable ads
...well, there is that swathe of tortured souls in a data center sifting through your viewing patterns working out the best way to leverage and control your thinking.
Old 5th December 2023, 15:54     #415
Lightspeed

Well, it's pretty hard to compete with those who've captured the low hanging fruit of our traditional broadcast platforms, using well established techniques to leverage and control our thinking.
Old 6th December 2023, 06:35     #416
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah - but people didn't die from putting half-filled coke bottles on their lawn to stop dogs pissing - tide pods and setting fire to chip packets in-store on the other hand...
Old 6th December 2023, 08:56     #417
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Yeah - but people didn't die from putting half-filled coke bottles on their lawn to stop dogs pissing - tide pods and setting fire to chip packets in-store on the other hand...
Shit like spraying your hand with lynx and lighting it on fire, or the cinnamon challenge. They were all around long before the internet (well at least before social media videos)
Old 6th December 2023, 09:42     #418
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Shit like spraying your hand with lynx and lighting it on fire, or the cinnamon challenge. They were all around long before the internet (well at least before social media videos)
Death by misadventure was killed by litigious windfalls!
Old 7th December 2023, 12:47     #419
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
No, it's much worse than that, isn't it? We're going to die from things like climate change, social disorder, depression, so on and so on. But our rich betters get to enjoy abundance with only a minimum of effort, so it's all good.

And those who live, instead of enjoying just enough, we're every day figuring out how to get by on less.

But all goods. The rich get richer. We're fine.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 7th December 2023 at 12:48.
Old 14th March 2024, 15:08     #420
Lightspeed

US House passes bill to force ByteDance to divest TikTok or face ban

'Mericans gotta do something about their kids getting their news from the Chinese.