Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11th March 2010, 14:30     #20041
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
The Far North is going to be loving this rain though.
You're joking right?
Old 11th March 2010, 14:33     #20042
Torka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle
What would be good emoticon to portray the 'thatched eyebrows with a half smirk', I think the expression would be 'incredulous' - is there an incredulous emoticon because that's the one I'm after.
NZG's selection is pretty naff, check out SA sometime, they have a huge selection of emotes for the discerning forum warrior
Old 11th March 2010, 14:35     #20043
gentle

I'll scope that out, heh, people really hate old rolly eyes.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:36     #20044
Torka

It's true, I could feel my self esteem dropping as I scrolled onto your post
Old 11th March 2010, 14:42     #20045
gentle

Sad

It's a punch to the stomach all right.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:45     #20046
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
You're joking right?
My understanding was they were looking at drought conditions, so if that's right then yes, the rain will be useful.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 11th March 2010, 14:49     #20047
^BITES^

Quote:
Did some sampling at the WWTP today, good times, covered in lime and effluent now, its fricken MEAN! Anyway, had to put the turds i'd collected on ice so drove down to the mobil i'd stopped in at earlier and gotten a bag of ice from, i'm a creature of habit, what can i say.

Approached the counter, correction, stalked up to the counter as i was grumpy as fuck. 'bags of ice, two, need reciept', i wasn't there to fuck spiders you see. Little indian girl behind the counter says 'we cannot do a reciept for that.' i snatch the money back and give her my best 'what the fuck look.' She smiles, 'just joking' i'm taken aback you understand, i'd stereotyped her as being the dry balls kind, but, i shake it off, nothings going to stop me from getting this ice. She puts the sale through and gives me 2 dollars change and remarks 'no reciept and no ice for you.' I should have been forewarned by her previous joke, but nay, i'm near raging, open my mouth to let off some hand picked cuss words and get another 'i'm only joking.'

I got fucking played by an indian girl working at a mobil. TWICE.

God damn.
In auckland town?(mangere) Awesome site that ... don't touch my network kit plzkthx

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 11th March 2010, 14:51     #20048
gentle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
In auckland town?(mangere) Awesome site that ... don't touch my network kit plzkthx
*imagines Bites network of turds*
Old 11th March 2010, 14:51     #20049
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
My understanding was they were looking at drought conditions, so if that's right then yes, the rain will be useful.

Definitely no rain here, my boy up at the cape reports the same thing 'nah bro, my nuts are cooking'

At Bites - Nah, this was in the rei rei.

Pie, your hellameke site confuses me Had to resort to photobucket.

Last edited by Reformed_Quint : 11th March 2010 at 14:55.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:01     #20050
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
How is that possible? You click browse, select the image, select upload.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:05     #20051
Baal

How do you go with shoelaces Quint? They can be pretty confusing too I imagine.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:07     #20052
?>Superman

^lol
Old 11th March 2010, 15:15     #20053
p01s0n

Quote:
Old 11th March 2010, 15:20     #20054
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quint's boss "Keep them turds on ice, Quint! If they get warm they'll smell worse! Here's an ice-cream container and some ice money. Bring back the change. Atta boy!"

Quint "Fuck my life."
Old 11th March 2010, 15:39     #20055
Reformed_Quint

lol.

If you don't chill down effluent the bacteria will continue to break down the organic matter in the effuent, this will in turn lower the oxygen demand of the sample which is the primary measurement of effluent strength.
More oxygen a sample uses over a period of time = more bacteria = more organic mass = more of the good stuff that is in the effluent.

But yea tommy, thats pretty much how shit went.

as for the hellameke, uploaded an image and then couldn't link to it, made me so very upset.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:57     #20056
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

1. Browse
2. Select
3. Upload
4. Copy the string in the "BBCode" box
5. Paste here
Old 11th March 2010, 16:45     #20057
CCS
Stunt Pants

What happens to the poos after they're done with it? Do they flush it down the bog or maybe put poo samples in petri dishes and keep them in a poo archive? You should see if you can have the poo back once they've checked it all out.

How does the poo selection process go anyway? Do you just plunge a hand into the sewage and grab a fistful of shit? Or is it more like "Oh that looks like a nice big turd, all in one piece, quite plump actually"? How do you retrieve it? Are they usually floating? Do you have a butterfly net type of thing for fishing out the poo? Or do you have a fishing rod and you just cast a line until you hook a poo?

So many questions.
Old 11th March 2010, 17:32     #20058
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
What happens to the poos after they're done with it? Do they flush it down the bog or maybe put poo samples in petri dishes and keep them in a poo archive? You should see if you can have the poo back once they've checked it all out.

How does the poo selection process go anyway? Do you just plunge a hand into the sewage and grab a fistful of shit? Or is it more like "Oh that looks like a nice big turd, all in one piece, quite plump actually"? How do you retrieve it? Are they usually floating? Do you have a butterfly net type of thing for fishing out the poo? Or do you have a fishing rod and you just cast a line until you hook a poo?

So many questions.
Poo once it reaches the WWTP is all in liquid form, stools swell up in water and disintegrate pretty rapidly with turbulence. To take a sample, you select what time you wish to sample, this time it was to sample the peak loading, which is usually between 9-12, everyone's morning shits and showers take about 3 hours to go from toilet bowl to treatment stage. I opted for 15min periods so i'd get a nice result. To retrieve the sample i normally opt to lower a bucket into the headworks prior to screening, i aim to dodge rags etc. as they arn't really appropriate.

After retrieving the bucket of effluent I take the S::CAN out of the headworks and mount it on some mounts (obviously, lol) I then clean it with 5-10% nitric acid to remove all the organics on the lens then zero calibrate the s;;can with de-ionized water. I then run the sample through the s;;can and take a finger print sample and make sure the TSSeq is in the range i'm after, today i wanted samples above 200mg/L TSSeq and above a CODeq of 400 mg/L. If the sample is between those ranges i then put some effluent into a 1L bottle, mark the finger print number and the time and date on it and put it on ice, in another container, 250mL, i also fill with effluent, in the smaller bottles I have some sulphuric acid which acts as an inhibitor.

I then continue sampling until i've got a range i'm happy with, i try to capture some effluent which comes in from the sucker trucks as well, this is usually in the vicinity of 2500-3000 mg/L, potent stuff, its good to have these measurements as they show the shock loading that the plant undergoes at regular stages.

Once the lab has finished doing its tests on it, we can map it and have a very accurate portrait of what the treatment plant has to deal with, this helps with chemical dosing and what not, but in this case, we can then sample the effluent post treatment and compare the results and the performance of the plant, so we can then make a educated choice on where money would be best spent to get the effluent to a better treated quality.

The effluent is destroyed after the tests.

I hope this helps.
Old 11th March 2010, 17:33     #20059
xor

Quote:

If you don't chill down effluent the bacteria will continue to break down the organic matter in the effuent, this will in turn lower the oxygen demand of the sample which is the primary measurement of effluent strength.
More oxygen a sample uses over a period of time = more bacteria = more organic mass = more of the good stuff that is in the effluent.
You know this but you don't know how to upload a pic?
You've been up north way too long brah
Old 11th March 2010, 17:36     #20060
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
You've been up north way too long brah
Would love to leave, but don't know where else I can find a job and the space i need
Old 11th March 2010, 17:36     #20061
p01s0n

Quote:
as for the hellameke, uploaded an image and then couldn't link to it, made me so very upset.
try again
Old 11th March 2010, 17:55     #20062
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
I hope this helps.
So you don't fish out any logs? Man, that's totally ruined the image I had of you sitting on the bank of the poo pond, a makeshift fishing line tied to your big toe with the other end cast out deep in the mucky water. You'd be leaning back looking at the clouds, a piece of straw between your teeth...

And you say there's never any floaties? Never? Ever? EVER?
Old 11th March 2010, 18:35     #20063
crocos

You've got a shit of a job Quint.

Old 11th March 2010, 19:19     #20064
doppelgänger of someone

muh

I sense a bit of spading after RQ posted his Bradley Cooper mug.
Old 11th March 2010, 19:36     #20065
xor

Quote:
Would love to leave, but don't know where else I can find a job and the space i need
I did tell you to email me your cv
Old 11th March 2010, 21:08     #20066
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
Reading the comments following that article make me ashamed for playing my part in keeping the Internet working - sorry, everyone.
It's like a cunt convention.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:13     #20067
Lightspeed

Too tired to move...
Old 11th March 2010, 21:24     #20068
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I did tell you to email me your cv
Company has me by the balls on my study. Meh, its not too bad, everyone has to do their time.

And to be fair this job is over now so it'll be onto the next. Always looks good, shows your willing to do the shit jobs. Get stuck in, etc.

Last edited by Reformed_Quint : 11th March 2010 at 21:25.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:38     #20069
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Get stuck in, etc.
You certainly did get stuck in, if you know what I mean! HA! Back me up, crocos.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:56     #20070
p01s0n

Old 11th March 2010, 22:21     #20071
Thomas Meatball

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11th March 2010, 22:22     #20072
IceFox

OK I JUST saw an add on TV for armageddon, was like "ooo I've never been" and then I hear "AND HUGE PILLOW FIGHT" ...... k I'm not going now.... w t f o_O
Old 12th March 2010, 01:25     #20073
crocos

Dude, pillow-fights attract girls, often hot ones.

Well worth the occasional belt from a pillow.

Old 12th March 2010, 01:40     #20074
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Dude, pillow-fights attract girls, often 12 year old ones.

Well worth the occasional belt from a pillow.
Creepy.
Old 12th March 2010, 07:24     #20075
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Did some sampling at the WWTP today, good times, covered in lime and effluent now, its fricken MEAN! Anyway, had to put the turds i'd collected on ice so drove down to the mobil i'd stopped in at earlier and gotten a bag of ice from, i'm a creature of habit, what can i say..
pretty sure I've got a textbook on Wastewater treatment in the garage somewhere - not sure the author or the edition - it's from ~92-94 - your's if I can find it and you're ever in Welly....
Old 12th March 2010, 07:28     #20076
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Twitch

also, listening to The Rock streaming from their www is freaking me out, man!
I'm hearing all these weird arse Auckland adverts and traffic reports!
Old 12th March 2010, 08:12     #20077
BadNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
also, listening to The Rock streaming from their www is freaking me out, man!
I'm hearing all these weird arse Auckland adverts and traffic reports!
the definitive edition
Old 12th March 2010, 08:53     #20078
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
pretty sure I've got a textbook on Wastewater treatment in the garage somewhere - not sure the author or the edition - it's from ~92-94 - your's if I can find it and you're ever in Welly....
Sweet! Where abouts are you? I'm big into my waste water, fascinating stuff, that and stormwater, but unfortunately NZ doesn't treat stormwater with the respect it deserves and we complain about flooding *rolls eyes* not to mention the havoc our CSOs cause on the treatment process.... but anyway if your not far out of town I could get someone to pick it up.
Old 12th March 2010, 08:56     #20079
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

in Johnsonville - I had a quick look in the garage this morning, but couldn't initially find it....
But we've got boxes of crap (not literally - don't get excited!) that need disposing of, so might be in those.

From memory, it's something like "Fundamentals (or principles) of wastewater treatment (or management)"
Old 12th March 2010, 08:59     #20080
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
in Johnsonville - I had a quick look in the garage this morning, but couldn't initially find it....
But we've got boxes of crap (not literally - don't get excited!) that need disposing of, so might be in those.

From memory, it's something like "Fundamentals (or principles) of wastewater treatment (or management)"
No rush man, when it turns up, i'll be here.

Those 'basics' books, especially the older ones have some really solid principles which aren't really taught these days. I have quite a few text books from the 80s and they have really solid ideas on pasaveer channels and wisconsin mounds, which although are archaic by todays standards are still used by quite a few on-site and cluster treatment stations, which you have a fair few of in northland. Never throw away text books!