NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 17th October 2014, 09:37     #39241
Juju
get to da choppa

So the wifey got an invoice from ACC for $700 odd. For ACC CoverPlus.

Thing is she doesn't own a business, and hasn't worked in years.

this gunna be fun.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:25     #39242
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Whatever point he's trying to make has been lost tbh. In before the social media slaying and subsequent apology.
It's tragicomic that atomically correct mannequins with ribs causes similar public outrage.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:23     #39243
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
It's tragicomic that atomically correct mannequins with ribs causes similar public outrage.
I hate those mannequins that have the protons orbiting the electron-nucleuses.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:27     #39244
Lightspeed

Haha, yeah, yeah.
Old 17th October 2014, 15:06     #39245
Lightspeed

Washington Post has Grisham's back.
Old 17th October 2014, 15:29     #39246
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So have I. Internet outrage machine strikes again.
Old 17th October 2014, 15:31     #39247
fixed_truth

He does have some good points. But yeah a couple of poorly worded sentences is what got focused on.
Old 17th October 2014, 17:09     #39248
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sorry, today's outrageapalooza is here:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...17-117dvl.html
Old 17th October 2014, 21:36     #39249
fixed_truth

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/1
Old 18th October 2014, 13:23     #39250
MadMax
Stuff

I'm pretty sure the tooth bone isn't connected to the boob ... bone http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1063...dailyheadlines
Old 19th October 2014, 10:01     #39251
cattlefire

juuuuannn huuueeelllleeeoooo
Old 19th October 2014, 13:07     #39252
Spink

wonder whose alt this is, guessing someone mentioned in the psychopaths thread
Old 19th October 2014, 17:10     #39253
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
I'm pretty sure the tooth bone isn't connected to the boob ... bone http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1063...dailyheadlines
Although perhaps she should have considered a dentist rather than an osteopath for a toothache...
Old 19th October 2014, 18:26     #39254
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
i feel like that thought it was more clever than it actually is.
Old 19th October 2014, 19:38     #39255
chubby

^^philosophy makes people feel that way
Old 19th October 2014, 20:34     #39256
chubby

muh

..and WTF?

black holes probably don't happen?
http://phys.org/news/2014-09-black-holes.html

and my beloved wife read this stuff first?
Old 20th October 2014, 06:37     #39257
Deadmeat

Says one person in a non peer reviewed publication, which after one search of her name leads to a more up to date and less headline grabbing article that had this to say:

A scientist's work will gain acceptance if it is published in a high-impact refereed journal. The paper by Laura Mersini-Houghton on the nonexistence of black holes was rejected by the referees of the prestigious journal Physics Letters. The article can be found on arXiv, an online repository of physics papers that is not peer-reviewed.

The physics community, particularly cosmologists and astrophysicists, consider Laura Mersini-Houghton's claim about nonexistence of black holes as nonsense or an outcome of her lack of understanding of Hawking Radiation. I see it as a reenactment of Ponsch and Fleischmann's infamous claim in 1989 that they observed cold fusion in the laboratory.

According to mainstream cosmologists, a black hole doesn't emit enough Hawking Radiation to shrink its mass down to where Mersini-Houghton claims. Hence, there is no evidence to support her hypothesis that there are no black holes.
Old 20th October 2014, 08:21     #39258
MadMax
Stuff

How long before an Ebola health care worker infects an aircraft or, to refer to a recent example, a cruise ship. Am I being too harsh in thinking they shouldn't be able to leave Africa until they've been in relative isolation with no travel for 21 days?
Old 20th October 2014, 08:32     #39259
Spink

Quote:
How long before an Ebola health care worker infects an aircraft or, to refer to a recent example, a cruise ship. Am I being too harsh in thinking they shouldn't be able to leave Africa until they've been in relative isolation with no travel for 21 days?
Let's just say your views align with the Republicans.
Old 20th October 2014, 09:16     #39260
CCS
Stunt Pants

Nah, time to start closing the borders.

It's all well and good if Ebola breaks out in more countries away from the African continent to then say "Gosh, you know, it seemed like harsh measures at the time but we really should have restricted borders a lot more. Ah well, hindsight 20/20 and all that, eh!"

Maybe we should be a bit more forward thinking and start taking these measures now. Maybe not close down the borders 100% but some amount of restriction and quarantine measures.
Old 20th October 2014, 09:24     #39261
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
I totally get that they're saints to be doing their work and should be able to live their lives but some are boarding public transport with a fever - knowing that they're sick.
Old 20th October 2014, 11:17     #39262
fixed_truth

Quote:
Glenn Beck Takes The Cake For Worst Conservative Media Ebola Coverage
Old 20th October 2014, 13:57     #39263
blynk

Quote:
Im waiting for the next suicide bomber is someone that travelled to Afica, got ebola and then travelled around. It would take much to spread it if you really wanted to.
Old 20th October 2014, 18:47     #39264
Nothing

Quote:
How long before an Ebola health care worker infects an aircraft or, to refer to a recent example, a cruise ship.
I don't think we need to worry about this too much. Word on the street is that a virus can only infect living organisms.
Old 20th October 2014, 20:54     #39265
MadMax
Stuff

*facepalm*
Old 20th October 2014, 21:36     #39266
Nich

not all of Africa is affected by the outbreak. They have attempted to close borders into and out of Sierra Leone and neighbouring countries. I have a friend who works for the UN in Kenya (inside an isolated compound of ex-pats only). She flew into Melbourne, we had dinner and chatted about Ebola and Africa, as if it was some distant news story in some country we dont really relate to. And then the guy in Texas got sick.

It hits hard in Africa because people typically have lower immune system, and hygiene is different. At the time of the BBC Horizon doco on Ebola, they stated it had a doubling rate of every 4 weeks. That is probably every 2-3 weeks now. It's worth keeping an eye on.

In big cities, i think it would decimate our shit if it got into public transport / schools etc. But we're already scared, and i know i'm one of many keeping safe by having high immune system, riding my bike to work, and using hand sanitiser.

Hell, the CDC made an estimate that there would be 1.5 mil infected come January 2015. Now that seems ridiculous, but i always have trouble understanding exponential growth rates, so who knows.

Last edited by Nich : 20th October 2014 at 21:37.
Old 20th October 2014, 22:02     #39267
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hand sanitiser kills bacteria. Ebola is a virus.

U R DEAD
Old 20th October 2014, 23:11     #39268
CCS
Stunt Pants

CDC is recommending sanitizer with 60% or more alcohol when soap and water is not available.

Quote:
Christien Kluwe, Biotechnologist, MD/PhD Student

Hand sanitizers contain alcohol, which disrupts lipid membranes. Many viruses (but not all!) such as Ebola have a lipid membrane encapsulating the viral genetic material. Dissolved membrane = dissolved virus.
http://www.quora.com/Why-are-people-...-not-antiviral
Old 21st October 2014, 00:12     #39269
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Hand sanitiser kills bacteria. Ebola is a virus.

U R DEAD
Viruses aren't even alive, how can we kill them?!
Old 21st October 2014, 00:51     #39270
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Viruses aren't even alive, how can we kill them?!
Not quite correct, but sort-of; They can be inactive, which is definitely not the same as 'not living' - also it surprises me that you are the one denying any type of life-form.

However - such as in the case of the dissolution of the lipid membrane - it effectively "kills" it as it becomes non-viable.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 21st October 2014 at 00:54.
Old 21st October 2014, 08:28     #39271
Spink

I thought hand sanitizers are usually a pre-thing not a post thing, you're not meant to use them to wash all the blood and vomit off your hands. Alcohol evaporates super fast so idgi how more alcohol would help if it's probably evaporated by the time you touch ebolas.
Old 21st October 2014, 08:36     #39272
MadMax
Stuff

^ not shaking HIS hand.
Old 21st October 2014, 08:51     #39273
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
I thought hand sanitizers are usually a pre-thing not a post thing, you're not meant to use them to wash all the blood and vomit off your hands. Alcohol evaporates super fast so idgi how more alcohol would help if it's probably evaporated by the time you touch ebolas.
Who said it's a post thing?
Old 21st October 2014, 09:09     #39274
Spink

I am asking if the higher alcohol content does anything if it's all evaporated? or if it is higher to stop it evaporating? or what.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:13     #39275
CCS
Stunt Pants

The alcohol will have its effect at the time you apply it. It's not supposed to provide lasting protection.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:46     #39276
pxpx

Cover entire body in this stuff and you'll be fine:
Old 21st October 2014, 10:47     #39277
fixed_truth

I don't know how accurate the little I've read on ebola is but it seems if there was a big outbreak all I would have to do is hold up at home for a few weeks??
Old 21st October 2014, 10:53     #39278
Lightspeed

I'm not sure how an outbreak would even occur in a developed country?
Old 21st October 2014, 12:19     #39279
leadinjector

it wouldnt, unless you go around fucking people who have it, or eating them or something insane.

or if it goes airborne, then were all fucked
Old 21st October 2014, 12:20     #39280
MadMax
Stuff

Sick person goes about their usual day to day activities: sorts fruit at their seasonal employer, picks up the kids from the day care (signing in and out with the pen that everyone uses), picks up the groceries (pushing a trolley around for half an hour with their hands that have been wiping off the fever induced sweat from their face)

allow a few days brewing, rinse repeat all the above multiplied by everyone else that gets infected.