NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 6th October 2008, 11:55     #3801
Haydos

I don't consider that a slip, not when the shot hit him right flush on the button and shifted the jawline. Would have sent a shot right into his nerves which sent him legitimately to the canvas.

Difference is, a trained fighter would roll straight to their back in that situation and gone into guard, he (Like Chuck Liddel, most over-rated bar fighter ever) didn't have the fight intelligence to do that.

Kimbo seems to have all the hallmarks of a guy who hit drugs bigtime and came off them - very weak jaw.
Old 6th October 2008, 15:24     #3802
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
Agreed, she might be book smart but her general knowledge was appalling. I only get to watch the news a couple of times a week and I knew the car one. She didn't know the Mauri question, nor could she use the process of elimination for teatotaller. (sp) No wonder the kids are calling her Miss Zero. The classic moment though was when she called the deputy prinicpal stating he knew everything and he too couldnt answer the car question.

Yes the questions are a bit harder but no where does it say that the NZ one will be identical to the others. Most of them are basic NZ general knowledge.
I only watched that episode (the pilot) and I was surprised at how "difficult" the first few questions were. I was pulling my hair out at that woman not knowing that the teetotallers were Wowsers, but it did strike me as too difficult for the first question. And I also had no idea about the ministerial limos. But as someone else mentioned, the fact that she made it through all the auditions should have indicated that she was at least mildly smart.

On another note, who saw the WWTBAM episode (UK) where the guy legitimately won the 1 million? That man had studied for YEARS to make it onto the show. They showed his exercise books crammed with all the study he'd done on (spouses of Prime Ministers etc, basically everything he could think of). Just goes to show that you can win a couple of hundred k on that show just using general knowledge, but if you want to win you really have to put the effort in/
Old 6th October 2008, 15:25     #3803
caffiend

Does anyone else read WWTBAM as "Who Wants to Touch BaM"?

No? Just me then?

K.
Old 6th October 2008, 15:41     #3804
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Yeah, but it often is. I'm sure some people deliberately vote wrong to be dicks.
As evidenced by the french sun / moon one..
Old 6th October 2008, 15:49     #3805
Jonas Undrawing

why do people let "deluxe" chocolates go stale before presenting them for consumption. My mum unearthed some Baileys Irish Cream chocolates and they're almost not worth eating they're so old.

nomnom. *almost*
Old 6th October 2008, 15:57     #3806
Cyberbob

Feeling super drained
Sore throat
Tired, can't concentrate

I'm no Dr House but I think i've got a cold

Maybe it's lupus.
Old 6th October 2008, 16:10     #3807
caffiend

It's either Distemper... or the Ague.
Old 6th October 2008, 16:18     #3808
doppelgänger of someone

Re: WWTBAM

Their main objective is to make good television, and that means you never know what kind of program they want to make this week, and that affects the questions.

If they want to give away a million dollars because viewers are losing interest, they can, with easier questions. If they want to beat down some poor sods ala US/AUS/NZ idol with Liz Shaw, they can, with obscure questions right off the bat. They know the profile of the contestants and therefore can tailor questions so it doesn't appear that they are biased.

In the end the program is NOT transparent, it is more like betting on horse racing as opposed to a test of knowledge/wit. You can cram all you want but in the end there is some element of luck. If the extremely unlucky 'Miss Zero' got so upset by the judgement of teens, I think she is in a wrong kind of work
Old 6th October 2008, 16:39     #3809
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Feeling super drained
Sore throat
Tired, can't concentrate

Maybe it's lupus.
give him a balsims specific.
Old 6th October 2008, 16:59     #3810
Haydos

http://www.stuff.co.nz/vote08/4718015a28435.html

Smug prick.

"HI GUYZ, Welllllll, just a matter of time b4 i fucked it all up, so lucky lucky i been fiscally responsible, Surplus? What surplus? There is no surplus, I spent it on a trainset."
Old 6th October 2008, 17:17     #3811
Cyberbob

Quote:
Feeling super drained
Sore throat
Tired, can't concentrate

Maybe it's lupus.
Cold shivers and sore joints now. It could just be our aircon and post weekend paintball battle wounds, but i better do a biopsy to be sure.
Old 6th October 2008, 17:51     #3812
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Cold shivers and sore joints now. It could just be our aircon and post weekend paintball battle wounds, but i better do a biopsy to be sure.
Nah, autopsy, or if you're in a hurry, vivisection. It's the only way to be sure.
Old 6th October 2008, 18:16     #3813
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

After 13 years on the net, today was the first time I've ever put someone on ignore.
Old 6th October 2008, 20:46     #3814
Cyberbob

Flash (swf) websites.... old and busted or new hotness
Old 6th October 2008, 21:12     #3815
BillHague

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge
After 13 years on the net, today was the first time I've ever put someone on ignore.

Was it Haydos?

The only person I've ever put on ignore is Unemazezamer.

Not going to say his name 3 time either, because I'm pretty sure he comes out of the mirror and kills you with his banality.
Old 6th October 2008, 21:14     #3816
BathTub

Quote:
Aircon? Legionnaires.
Kevin: Oh yeah, when we do, I would hope that we're smart enough to attempt a doctrine of appeasement with them, you know we offer them, I don't know, New Zealand in exchange for them not burning down my house,.. Ah, I mean our houses.
Mike: Good Kevin, that's real brave.
Mike Nelson & Kevin Murphy - Reign of Fire Rifftrax
Old 6th October 2008, 21:23     #3817
BloodDonor

Key: $30b deficit won't stop Nats tax cuts

Quote:
John Key has defended his party's planned program of tax cuts, after Treasury numbers released today showed the economic outlook has deteriorated badly since the May budget.

The numbers have seen Treasury reducing its revenue forecasts and increasing its predictions of costs such as benefits.

Cash deficits - the bottom line after all infrastructure funding and payments to the New Zealand Superannuation Fund are made - is predicted to blow out from around $3 billion a year to around $6 billion a year.

Old 6th October 2008, 21:28     #3818
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Flash (swf) websites.... old and busted or new hotness
Entirely flash? Pisses me off bigtime. Prime example: http://www.schickfreeyourskin.co.nz/

Runs like a PIG on a PC with integrated video. I'd hate to see how long it takes to load on capped broadband.
Old 7th October 2008, 03:15     #3819
seen-my-keys?

I'm quitting my job at the end of the year, with plans for a career change to something completely different.... Amid a recession.

Been thinking that it could be good or bad, perhaps some new doors open at this kind of time, or maybe not.

Either way, quitting my job fo sho.
Old 7th October 2008, 07:14     #3820
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Fuck its windy. I pity the fools that have to get up and ride to work.
Old 7th October 2008, 08:46     #3821
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
Difference is, a trained fighter would roll straight to their back in that situation and gone into guard, he (Like Chuck Liddel, most over-rated bar fighter ever) didn't have the fight intelligence to do that.
I still haven't got over Wanderlei Silva losing to Liddel
Old 7th October 2008, 09:53     #3822
tarzan007

I'm leaving on the Bill & Ben party political rally to parliament tomorrow...come to Parliament around 1pm Thursday to play BYC cricket on the lawns of Parliament...weather permitting I guess...
Old 7th October 2008, 09:55     #3823
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Rolling eyes

Phenomenal how many people (according to stuff.co.nz) apparently want the death penalty reinstated in NZ. Could be because the weather is crap and people are acting up cranky.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:11     #3824
Lightspeed

Yeah. Even the whole "life means life" doesn't really fly. For truly violent offenders, particularly those that suffer antisocial personality disorder, keeping them in prison through their 20s and 30s makes sense, but after that, there's little value as their offending plummets. And stiffer penalties don't particularly deter these kinds of people.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:38     #3825
Haydos

Typical lefty... trying to keep criminals alive.

I'm only for the death penalty in cases where evidence leaves absolutely no doubt to the guilt of a person... hold on a second, where evidence leaves absolutely no doubt - yet, if there is reasonable doubt, the person shouldn't be convicted in the first place.

The flaws of our legal system mean that the death penalty is a worry, in case an innocent person is executed... (because sending an innocent person to jail for 15 years isn't a big deal)

Therefore, in cases where there is irrefuteable evidence, such as video footage, multiple unattached witnesses, admission - the death penalty should be allowable for serial rapists, murderers and the extreme cases where someone has 100 convictions on petty charges.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:40     #3826
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Yeah. Even the whole "life means life" doesn't really fly. For truly violent offenders, particularly those that suffer antisocial personality disorder, keeping them in prison through their 20s and 30s makes sense, but after that, there's little value as their offending plummets. And stiffer penalties don't particularly deter these kinds of people.
There are very few offenders in New Zealand that have antisocial personality disorder. Those that have it are compelled to continue offending until caught and/or killed.

Ted Bundy had antisocial personality disorder, he would have kept killing til today had he not been caught.

Graeme Burton doesn't have antisocial personality disorder, he's just a fucking douche.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:44     #3827
Lightspeed

Really? My research shows around 5% of people in the general populace have ASP, and a much higher percentage ( up to 80% ) of prison population have ASP.

A quick glance at Wiki backs this up, although the research I've looked at covers the US, Asia-Pacific ( specifically mentioning NZ ) and Europe.

Where are you getting your figures from?
Old 7th October 2008, 10:50     #3828
Haydos

If you used the DSM-IV criteria, you wouldn't have 5% of our prison population being tagged with antisocial personality disorder.

If you're using "Oh that kid never got along with people and was always a bully" NZ criteria, then you could estimate 50% of our prsion population had it.

Studying gave me access to materials reviewing the prison population and how many people were misdiagnosed with mental disorders they didn't actually have.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:51     #3829
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Trying to keep the criminals alive?

"Reasonable doubt" can be argued in just about every case, and frankly I don't know of that many murders that have taken place in front of a camera. That said, it isn't something I've ever studied

If you show me a person beyond rehabilitation, sure - they should be mercifully put down like the mad dog they are. Not out of spite or vengeance, but simply to remove them from a society in which they don't belong. However in cases of reasonable doubt or treatable illnesses, or potential rehabilitation - I feel society should offer these people all the assistance it can give.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:54     #3830
Haydos

Well, the act itself may not be on camera.

The person being seen by security footage in the area, confirming what a witness said, along with footprints/fingerprints as evidence is more where I was heading.

You could argue everyone is capable of rehabilitation. Gary Ridgway supposedly stopped killing on his own, well before being caught... (or simply stopped killing with the same MO)

Personally, once you've fucked over a series of families and ruined their lives, you don't deserve life nor rehabilitation, even if you're able to be rehabilitated. I don't believe in rehabilitation for someone who has raped several school children. I believe in a bullet to the back of the head and then dumped in a mass grave.

Saddam did have some good points, you know.

Last edited by Haydos : 7th October 2008 at 10:56.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:55     #3831
Helious

I'm all for the death penalty. Need to exterminate the waste.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:57     #3832
caffiend

Quote:
Personally, once you've fucked over a series of families and ruined their lives, you don't deserve life nor rehabilitation, even if you're able to be rehabilitated. I don't believe in rehabilitation for someone who has raped several school children. I believe in a bullet to the back of the head and then dumped in a mass grave.

Saddam did have some good points, you know.
Agreed - although maybe not so much on the "mass grave" and "Saddam" points.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:57     #3833
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
If you show me a person beyond rehabilitation, sure - they should be mercifully put down like the mad dog they are.
How would you ever know that a person is beyond rehabilitation? And what if the state executes a person and then 5 years later an effective treatment for their condition is developed?
Old 7th October 2008, 10:57     #3834
Torka

Survival instincts aside, I've never quite understood why death is considered a harsher penalty than spending the rest of your life in prison, particularly for a young person. 50-60 years in a cage with no hope of ever getting out and no quality of life? Just kill me, thanks.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:59     #3835
Haydos

It's the "cost" of death due to all the legal processes and procedures. In my world, you run your court case, the person is found guilty, the cost of the court case is taken from his estate if possible and he is executed out back for nothing more than the price of a bullet.

My world doesn't exist, due to political correctness and the worry that you're convicting the wrong person.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:01     #3836
Sp0nge

Quote:
Typical lefty... trying to keep criminals alive.
yes.
imo humans have a right to life...
even beyond reasonable doubt.

if someone is caught on video killing someone else
and even if they admit it
and whether they had reason to or not

i will not commit the same crime by killing the crim.

and if you believe in the death penalty, thats exactly what you are doing.

peace...and god's love to you all.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:03     #3837
Haydos

See, I'm not beat up on the value or sanctity of life, unless that life is completely innocent.

In a case where a 4 yr old child has had near all the bones in their torso broken while being brutally raped by someone, you believe that person has the right to life?

Termination is the most effective form of control.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:06     #3838
Sp0nge

yeah, even though thats a horrible crime you describe
i believe the crim has a right to life
as much right as george bush does even though he bombed iraq
as much right as you or i do even though we let kids starve in africa.

clear?
Old 7th October 2008, 11:10     #3839
Haydos

I don't let kids starve in Africa, I don't give a fuck about kids in Africa, they should be held to the same rules as nature holds it's creatures, provide for themselves or die.

Humanity has seen the world become tremendously over populated and people like you, are likely to be the cause for the end of the world - because you'd rather see human rights over human survival.

Life is not sacred, nothing is - it's all a concept you make up in your head to feel better about being meak and pathetic in this life.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:10     #3840
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
I'm all for the death penalty. Need to exterminate the waste.
ok. i declare that you are at the bottom of the barrel. what do you think about your new fate?

kidding, but food for thought