Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 5th February 2016, 16:23     #3561
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Te Tii have solidified their numptyness by allegedly asking cameramen and reporters for $800 to report on the Marae grounds. Not the producers or production companies or the accounts payable department, the reporters themselves. In Cash.
I 'spose it's koha though, right? Like, "voluntary" koha.
Old 5th February 2016, 19:07     #3562
fixed_truth

So since Key won't go to Waitangi he's gonna go to the 9s instead. Well played John, well played.
Old 24th February 2016, 11:47     #3563
Juju
get to da choppa

So I'm looking through the latest CPI corruption report put out that claims NZ fell from 2nd to 4th.

Of the 7 data sources that they used for NZ - only 2 show a drop in score, 1 showed and increase and the rest were the same.

One of the scores that dropped was the Bertelsmann Foundation SGI, which Transparency said scored NZ at 97 points in 2014, down to 81 points in 2015.

Thankfully the SGI report is publicly available.

Here's the weird thing. NZ's ranking in the SGI report itself basically stays the same. In fact, across the 6 sectors they measure, the average went up!

So can anyone explain to me why Transparency International dropped NZ's SGI score so much, when the actual report put us more or less equal to last year?

Saucey sauces
CPI 2015: http://files.transparency.org/conten...odologyZIP.zip
CPI 2014: http://files.transparency.org/conten...DataBundle.zip
SGI: http://www.sgi-network.org/docs/2015...Scores_csv.zip

Last edited by Juju : 24th February 2016 at 11:49.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:47     #3564
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Rage.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11595600
Old 4th March 2016, 14:00     #3565
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11596774

Quote:
Auckland Council is reverting to the 2013 version of its Unitary Plan proposal, which will provide for just over 80,000 new homes by 2040.

This is despite expert working advice that it needed to come up with a set of zoning maps to produce 280,000 houses within the enlarged Auckland Council boundaries.

Think about this for a second.

The council decided it preferred zoning rules that would leave Auckland 200,000 houses short of what it needed to accommodate up to a million extra people over the next 30 years or so. This in a city that already has a shortage of 35,000-50,000 houses. …

Simply put, 700 residents from Kohimarama, Mission Bay and Glendowie held a meeting on February 9 to protest at the maps submitted in December, which they said proposed massive intensification in their suburbs.

They argued they had not been told about these changes, which they said was undemocratic. The meeting and the following publicity spooked councillors into opposing the more intense maps at this week’s meeting.

It demonstrated in vivid technicolour the concept of “Democratic Deficit”. This is where a few well-organised home-owners with the time and resources to lobby councillors stop development near them because these local politicians know older home owners vote at vastly higher rates than young renters.

… the Council’s Youth Advisory Chair, Flora Apulu, spoke to the Council about how she felt the weight of the city’s half a million young people on her shoulders as she argued for the affordable housing they desperately needed from this “up-zoned” plan. She was jeered and heckled by the dozens of elderly and predominantly Pakeha homeowners sitting just metres behind her.

Sudhvir Singh from Generation Zero was jeered even more loudly when he said the generation of home-owners sitting behind him were “pulling up the ladder” of home ownership on the young of today. “Poor you”, was the response. Indeed. Poor us.
Old 4th March 2016, 14:02     #3566
Lightspeed

I live in Kohi. The cognitive dissonance here is strong. I would comfort myself with the fact that the area will be getting flooded regularly in a decade or so (it already occasionally floods), except the fucks will mostly be dead by then.
Old 4th March 2016, 16:38     #3567
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
You think that's rage inducing? Check this one out:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11581857
Old 4th March 2016, 17:14     #3568
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

jesus.
Old 7th March 2016, 11:21     #3569
spigalau

facepalm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...l?sf21678095=1

Quote:
Former Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis is advising the Labour party on the economy, Jeremy Corbyn has revealed.

The controversial ex-minister, who was forced to resign after his country plunged into a debt crisis, has met with shadow chancellor John McDonnell, the Labour party leader said.
Words fail.... while you are at it why not get Robert Mugabe to be your ethnic affairs consultant.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:03     #3570
blynk

Well he definitely knows what not to do. Unless he staunchly denies that there was nothing wrong with Greece's economy
Old 7th March 2016, 12:14     #3571
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Well he definitely knows what not to do. Unless he staunchly denies that there was nothing wrong with Greece's economy
Rule 1 - Don't host an Olympics

Oh cock....
Old 7th March 2016, 12:34     #3572
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...l?sf21678095=1

Words fail.... while you are at it why not get Robert Mugabe to be your ethnic affairs consultant.
To be fair, Varoufakis is undeniably a very bright guy, published academic and professor of economics, blahblahblah (and consultant to Valve, yes that Valve, didn't know that, thanks Wikipedia). As a layperson a lot of what he said about the Greek collapse seemed pretty reasonable to me. The debt crisis wasn't of his making, it's just that the powers that be didn't like his ideas on how to fix it.
Old 7th March 2016, 13:19     #3573
Nothing

I have no idea where the article is, can't remember the url, too lazy to Google, but I do remember reading a really interesting article on the work he was doing with Valve ages ago, now that you mention it.
Old 7th March 2016, 13:22     #3574
Lightspeed

I thought we had already agreed that perception significantly outweighs substance, so this must count as just one more gaffe by the Labour party.
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:47     #3575
fixed_truth

The whole anti wicked camper crusade is a bit lol.
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:04     #3576
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I see NZ's "Internet Left" are still going on about the Teapot recording saga. They are literally still going bananas over something that a) happened before the election before the last election, and they don't seem to realise that John Key came out of that whole mess looking golden and getting elected.
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:23     #3577
CCS
Stunt Pants

In their minds it justifies their obsession with John Key. To everyone else it just reinforces that Key Derangement Syndrome is in full effect.

With Labour continuing to pledge wildly expensive election bribes, National is like "roll on 217 yo"
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:48     #3578
Nothing

You know, if Labour pledged to, for instance, crack down hard on corporate tax evasion, then none of their other election bribes would actually be all that expensive. I'm pretty sure cracking down on corporate tax evasion would probably be pretty popular with most of the electorate as well.
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:53     #3579
CCS
Stunt Pants

It's a bit of a myth that all a govt needs to do is enact the magic Tax Avoidance Clampdown Act and everything will be sweet. Corporations will find different ways of minimising their tax obligations so there's no real way of predicting how much a 'tax clampdown' will net in tax revenue and whether that revenue would cover expensive election bribes.

TLDR: wishful thinking.
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:21     #3580
crocos

^^^
Yes, that. Thanks for saying it more eloquently than I would have.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:42     #3581
fixed_truth

Good to see discussion going on lately about the a universal basic income

http://www.newshub.co.nz/politics/th...#axzz43gatmflz

Quote:
But the UBI could solve more than just the looming unemployment/underemployment crisis.

In Labour's background paper on the UBI, it lists a number of potential benefits:

increased income security, giving people more time to devote to "creative work and their family, rather than worrying about keeping a roof over their heads"
encourage entrepreneurs to start new businesses by covering their expenses in the start-up period
give people the chance to go back to university and up-skill and reduce student debt
give seasonal and contract workers income security
reduce the stigma of collecting welfare, and encourage more beneficiaries into work
dramatically simplify the welfare system from 53 overlapping benefits to just one
stop people taking jobs they're unsuited to just for the money

The paper also notes some potential flaws:

if the UBI is set too low, it won't bring about the above benefits; while if it's too high, taxes will need to raise significantly
it could be seen as unfair, as in Prime Minister John Key's words: "You'd be giving it to people that don't need it."
it could disincentivise paid work.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 23rd March 2016 at 15:44.
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:03     #3582
CCS
Stunt Pants

^^^

That is some unbelievable shit.
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:43     #3583
crocos

The results in Denmark suggest quite the opposite.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:58     #3584
blynk

I like the idea, raise the taxes so effectively you have paid 11k more tax at a certain income level - maybe just above the average income.

Adjust the benefit amounts down to account for this.

I know of people in my life where this would help/have helped immensely.
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:30     #3585
Lightspeed

I like the idea of a UBI balanced with public services. With the idea being that you couldn't really get along just on a UBI without making use of these services. So people on UBI will be encouraged to make use of these services by economic necessity, and people making use of these services will be helped in ways that leave them less dependant on a UBI.

At the moment it seems we offer neither. With mental health care in particular falling by the wayside, we'll find more and more people dependant on a UBI than we would otherwise.

A problem some might see with a UBI is it changes the dynamic for compelling people into work somewhat. The onus falls more on the employer to deliver meaningful, well remunerated work, rather than relying on the desperate who feel compelled to take whatever work is available.

A cynical person might wonder how much intention there is in exacerbating this situation. A UBI looks less and less appealing when there's the impression that it will be too expensive, due to the growing number of people who would look to be immediately dependant on it.
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:52     #3586
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
It's a bit of a myth that all a govt needs to do is enact the magic Tax Avoidance Clampdown Act and everything will be sweet. Corporations will find different ways of minimising their tax obligations so there's no real way of predicting how much a 'tax clampdown' will net in tax revenue and whether that revenue would cover expensive election bribes.

TLDR: wishful thinking.
Well, magic is your word, not mine. I didn't say the solution would necessarily be easy or that it wouldn't require any work. But suggesting that it is impossible to solve is, I think, also incorrect.

Moreover, the quantity of money being siphoned away from the NZ public through corporate tax avoidance is much more worthy of having serious attention paid to it by the government than is the issue which right wing politicians love to draw attention to the most, namely benefit fraud. The amount we lose as a result of benefit fraud is utterly dwarfed by the amount we lose as a result of corporate tax avoidance.

Even if we only managed to solve a relatively small proportion of the total corporate tax avoidance, we would still stand to gain substantially more than we do by focussing on benefit fraud. And yet the vast majority of the attention is paid to benefit fraud rather than corporate tax avoidance.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:03     #3587
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
the vast majority of the attention is paid to benefit fraud rather than corporate tax avoidance.
Benefit fraudsters are weak, easy targets. Corporations are big, tough and scary. What we're seeing is the quality of the substance of our current government.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:18     #3588
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Corporations are big, tough and scary.
I don't think the issue is that they're big, tough and scary. I think the issue is that the neo-liberal economic and political ideology and its close association with the protestant work ethic predisposes right wing politicians to be heavily biased in favour of big business. They aren't scared of the corporates, they're in bed with them.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:36     #3589
fixed_truth

Quote:
A problem some might see with a UBI is it changes the dynamic for compelling people into work somewhat. The onus falls more on the employer to deliver meaningful, well remunerated work, rather than relying on the desperate who feel compelled to take whatever work is available.

A cynical person might wonder how much intention there is in exacerbating this situation. A UBI looks less and less appealing when there's the impression that it will be too expensive, due to the growing number of people who would look to be immediately dependant on it.
Also with a UBI there is more incentive to work as you do not get your basic income removed if you do gain employment / continue to work. Unlike the current welfare system.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:52     #3590
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Also with a UBI there is more incentive to work as you do not get your basic income removed if you do gain employment / continue to work. Unlike the current welfare system.
That's actually a feature of it which I dislike. It means that people who are already independently very wealthy, such that they can make a lot of money simply because of the fact that they already have a lot of money, no actual work involved, get another income stream for nothing.
Old 23rd March 2016, 20:33     #3591
Lightspeed

I would assume a UBI would be funded in part by taxes from that group of people.
Old 23rd March 2016, 20:37     #3592
fixed_truth

Quote:
That's actually a feature of it which I dislike. It means that people who are already independently very wealthy, such that they can make a lot of money simply because of the fact that they already have a lot of money, no actual work involved, get another income stream for nothing.
One aspect of the universality is to remove the high cost of bureaucracy involved in determining and tracking eligibility and identifying fraud.

Also (from Gareth Morgans site) it's about removing the stigma which acts in perpetuating the poverty cycle.

Quote:
“Universalism recognises that we are all members of society… being New Zealanders entitles and engages all of us, whatever our ages or circumstances, and support measures should be rights based. And those eligible for income support should not be subject to unnecessary and stigmatising procedures to establish what is theirs as a basic right.

A system designed only to assist the poor helps perpetuate existing social and economic inequality in the longer run by reinforcing distinctions between the poor and the rest of society, and at the same time it may lock the poor into a cycle of poverty by its system of benefit abatement. A further implication is that a highly targeted system will ultimately face considerable resistance from taxpayers unwilling to support a system perceived as rewarding the improvident and providing themselves with no return for their contributions. The longer run consequences could thus be an even more targeted system that provides continually falling benefit levels.”

Last edited by fixed_truth : 23rd March 2016 at 20:39.
Old 24th March 2016, 01:41     #3593
Nothing

Quote:
I would assume a UBI would be funded in part by taxes from that group of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
One aspect of the universality is to remove the high cost of bureaucracy involved in determining and tracking eligibility and identifying fraud.
So which is it guys? Are we keeping track of who has lots of money and taxing them so that we can fund the UBI, in which case we know who is well off and don't need to give them the UBI? Or do we just not know who is wealthy enough to not need the UBI, because we've cut our bureaucracy back so much we can't tell who is wealthy and who is not any more, in which case we can't accurately tax the wealthy individuals to fund the UBI.

Also, Gareth Morgan? Really? Like I'm going to listen to anything that capitalist has to say. Pfft.
Old 24th March 2016, 08:50     #3594
fixed_truth

Inland Revenue and the Ministry of Social Development would still exist - though the services and they administer would be greatly reduced.

I agree with some of Morgans views but he did lose a lot of credibility with the whole cat curfew thing. I don't expect a UBI in NZ any time soon but it's good there's now a public discourse going on.
Old 24th March 2016, 13:39     #3595
blynk

Quote:
So which is it guys? Are we keeping track of who has lots of money and taxing them so that we can fund the UBI, in which case we know who is well off and don't need to give them the UBI? Or do we just not know who is wealthy enough to not need the UBI, because we've cut our bureaucracy back so much we can't tell who is wealthy and who is not any more, in which case we can't accurately tax the wealthy individuals to fund the UBI.

Also, Gareth Morgan? Really? Like I'm going to listen to anything that capitalist has to say. Pfft.
I think you missed the point. Everyone gets a UBI. Rich, poor, healthy, unheathly, men, women.

But you raise the tax at the higher brackets that means most of the cost of this comes from the richer folk.
Old 25th March 2016, 23:57     #3596
Lightspeed

Quote:
So which is it guys?
Maybe I should have emphasised the "I" in my response. I don't assume a UBI will be much like has been currently raised, I think we need to get effective public services up and running first, and that's going to require the emergence of drastic circumstances or a change of government before that happens.

Quote:
Are we keeping track of who has lots of money and taxing them so that we can fund the UBI, in which case we know who is well off and don't need to give them the UBI?
I would think it would depend on what's more straight forward to administrate. And perhaps most politically palatable, if it comes to that.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 25th March 2016 at 23:58.
Old 29th March 2016, 10:04     #3597
Jodi

I like UBI. From the reports I have read, it has many positive social outcomes and few if no negatives.

However.

I will guarantee that if we ever manage to get it in NZ, that the NZ political parties will fuck up the implementation of it so hard, that it will have the opposite effect, get branded a failure, and avoided for another couple of generations.

Also, I an interesting on the net that states the UBI will be the solution to the problem faced in 'merica where businesses are failing because people aren't buying stuff cos they have no money. With UBI, everyone has money, so they can buy stuff again!
Old 29th March 2016, 11:19     #3598
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
I like UBI. From the reports I have read, it has many positive social outcomes and few if no negatives.
wut
Old 29th March 2016, 11:43     #3599
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Except for the fact that the money has to come from somewhere?
Old 29th March 2016, 12:15     #3600
[Malks] Pixie

So what are the social negatives that people perceive a UBI may usher in?

[i.e. outside of the existential "where will the money come from" argument]