NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 1st August 2015, 14:15     #321
CCS
Stunt Pants

Hilarious given Labour's rogues gallery.
Old 1st August 2015, 14:18     #322
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The NZ anthem is fucking hideous, can't stand that shit. I prefer singing it in Maori and ignoring the English half because then I can pretend I'm not singing about God.
agreed. it sounds like a 3 year old smacking a keyboard.
Old 1st August 2015, 15:03     #323
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The NZ anthem is fucking hideous, can't stand that shit. I prefer singing it in Maori and ignoring the English half because then I can pretend I'm not singing about God.
Or you can always use the primary school edition:

god of nations smell my feet, in the bonds of coronation street, hear our voices tweet tweet tweet, god defend our toilet seat.
Old 18th September 2015, 15:04     #324
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://twitter.com/nzlabour/status/644328102504435712

Old 18th September 2015, 15:28     #325
xor

To be fair, When a baby costs parents over $320 a week in daycare costs I don't think many people can afford to raise kids eh.
Old 1st November 2016, 18:06     #326
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Cunliffe's had enough

Quote:
New Lynn Member of Parliament David Cunliffe will resign from Parliament next year and will leave politics entirely at the 2017 election. It will be timed to ensure there is no by-election.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...-2017-election
Old 1st November 2016, 20:00     #327
ZoSo

Outside of Labour, management consultancy would seem more feasible.
Old 1st November 2016, 20:13     #328
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

He was a bad leader and the worst election campaigner in the world, but credit where it's due, he was a good man to have in office for the Telecom separation.
Old 1st November 2016, 22:43     #329
Lightspeed

More CGP Grey goodness:
Rules for Rulers
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:55     #330
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Cunliffe's had enough
Quote:
"Politics is not a job for life: You come here, you do your very best to serve your country and then when you think the time has come, you move on ... that's how we refresh and that's how we serve."
Fuck, I wish some of Labour's deadwood like Mallard would take that philosophy.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 2nd November 2016, 14:40     #331
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Cunliffe's a bright talented guy who's not cut out for a high-vis leadership role. Doesn't mean he's not bright and talented, but Labour internal politics means he's now an unperson.

Cunliffe:

Fulbright Scholar and Kennedy Memorial Fellow at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government;

Former Minister of Health, Minister for Communications and Information Technology, Associate Minister of Finance and Revenue

Former Labour Party Leader and Leader of the NZ Opposition

Pretty fucking powerful CV, eh? Seems to me that someone with that sort of experience would have a lot to offer a modern political party, but what the fuck do I know, because here are the roles that he's been given under Andrew Little's leadership:

Spokesperson for Disarmament, Research and Development, Science and Innovation, and Land Information; Undersecretary to the Leader on Superannuation Issues; Associate Education (Tertiary) Spokesperson

Wouldn't be surprised if his office was a broom cupboard with a busted light bulb.

Perfect example of his unperson status: in the official history of the NZ Labour Party released this year to commemorate the party's centenary, Cunliffe was barely mentioned. A former leader and cabinet minister...erased.
Old 24th November 2016, 12:15     #332
fixed_truth

Labour's change of heart on the retirement age
Quote:
We started the conversation in the wrong place. It isn't just about lifting the age. It's about saying how do we make sustainable in the long run for there to be a decent income for people in retirement.
Yep, lifting the retirement age isn't the right solution.
Old 24th November 2016, 13:55     #333
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

How do we make sustainable in the long run? How is babby formed?
Old 24th November 2016, 16:01     #334
fixed_truth

Well, that's the billion dollar question. I'm not sure that in the context of growth=good that population growth will be seriously targeted. So that leaves finding the $$$ from somewhere. Probably taxing the 1% more and/or more Govt. owned enterprise. Or compulsory superannuation.
Old 1st March 2017, 17:17     #335
fixed_truth

Labour finally starting to play politics. It's not without potential pitfalls but probably the best decision election year.
Quote:
Jacinda Ardern's anointment as deputy leader is the best leadership move I've seen Labour make.

It is so good I actually thought it would never happen.

It is logical. It was pretty much bloodless. I didn't think Labour was capable of that.
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politi...-in-years.html
Old 1st March 2017, 17:49     #336
ZoSo

You have to laugh. They wank on about smile and wave for years, then force out the old (successful) duck and insert the ultimate smile and wave perennial loser, shoehorned into a safe seat and media talked into deputy.
Old 1st March 2017, 17:57     #337
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jesus if this is bloodless I'd hate to see a multi-day clusterfuck. I wonder who took Annette out the back for a come-to-jesus since Monday when she announced she wasn't going anywhere and that Ardern wasn't ready for deputy leadership?
Old 1st March 2017, 18:05     #338
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
(previously successful)
FTFY
Old 1st March 2017, 18:06     #339
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You're only saying that because it's a full moon, calm down
Old 1st March 2017, 18:16     #340
ZoSo

What's up with Dim? do we really have to sign up to read that shit now?
Bit over the top.
Old 1st March 2017, 18:25     #341
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Dim-post? I think Danyl has just killed it. He's purged his twitter account of everything posted in the past 6 months and he's purged his blog from the Wayback Machine, so I presume he's doing something professionally political and was scared of getting bitten on the arse.
Old 1st March 2017, 18:35     #342
ZoSo

Makes sense.
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:09     #343
CCS
Stunt Pants

I don't know why people keep creaming their jeans over Jacinda Ardern. She's achieved nothing. I guess she's the next "game changer" for Labour? In other words, deflating balloon.
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:00     #344
Lightspeed

If achievement had anything to do with politics National would not have gotten a second or third term.
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:09     #345
CCS
Stunt Pants

At least in National they've had real jobs.
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:36     #346
Lightspeed

Really? All of them have strong professional backgrounds? I don't think you've looked lately.
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:44     #347
CCS
Stunt Pants

That's not what I said. Stop making things up.
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:57     #348
Lightspeed

If you are going to offer a vague judgement, I am compelled to guess at what you mean. If you don't want me to guess, be more specific.
Old 3rd March 2017, 00:07     #349
CCS
Stunt Pants

Oh lolspeed, getting in a fuss about semantics again.
Old 3rd March 2017, 00:13     #350
Lightspeed

Snore

Shall I rephrase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I'll stop making things up when you stop talking bullshit.
Old 3rd March 2017, 00:48     #351
CCS
Stunt Pants

What is the bullshit I have been talking?
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:01     #352
fixed_truth

Cunning linguist

What's a real job? Who decides what jobs are real and what jobs are imaginary? Is a tobacco lobbyist a real job? Stay at home Dad? All Black? Teacher? So many questions . . .
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:37     #353
CCS
Stunt Pants

A job outside politics would be a good start.

I'll point out also that Jacinda couldn't win an electorate until she got parachuted into an easy-to-win Mt Albert! Now she's somehow the saviour of the Labour Party!
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:47     #354
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Complains about semantics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Oh lolspeed, getting in a fuss about semantics again.
Complains about complaining about semantics.

Good work Trump.
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:12     #355
pxpx

What happens to Ardern when Little is replaced as leader after the election?
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:24     #356
ZoSo

I dunno, but 314 votes behind melissa lee's vote in 2014, is a pretty strong platform man.
Old 3rd March 2017, 15:00     #357
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Complains about semantics.

Complains about complaining about semantics.

Good work Trump.
I didn't complain about semantics. You're living on another planet
Old 3rd March 2017, 15:17     #358
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
What happens to Ardern when Little is replaced as leader after the election?
The Left is so enamoured with Jacinda Ardern that if she isn't tarred too horribly by the election loss, she may well end up as party leader. I know that sounds crazy, but that is Labour for you.

As much as the Left criticised John Key as Mr Smile and Wave, at least he had a career before politics. Ardern has no other skills than Smile Her Ever So Big Smile and Wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
I dunno, but 314 votes behind melissa lee's vote in 2014, is a pretty strong platform man.
I'll tell you something else funny. Auckland Central "has been held by the Labour Party for most of its existence — between 1919 and 2008, the seat had spent only three years in the hands of another party (the left-wing Alliance, from 1993 to 1996)" until Nikki Kaye took it off Judith Tizard. Ardern, who had previously failed to win the safe National Waikato electorate, was apparently considered to nonetheless be a star in the making and she was nominated in the Auckland Central electorate to try and reclaim it for Labour. She failed to do that in the next two elections before she was given more appropriate for her winning ways - a safe Labour seat.
Old 3rd March 2017, 15:22     #359
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I didn't complain about semantics. You're living on another planet
Because I know Lolspeeds style, that was in reference to when I said "That's not what I said. Stop making things up" which was itself a response to lolspeeds unfounded complaint of me talking bullshit.

So rather than being a complaint about semantics, it's a complaint about Lolspeeds inherent intellectual dishonesty and continual attempts to make up things and try to attribute them to other people.

But I don't expect the Dumb Loser crowd to understand what I've just explained.
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:08     #360
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I'll tell you something else funny. Auckland Central "has been held by the Labour Party for most of its existence — between 1919 and 2008, the seat had spent only three years in the hands of another party (the left-wing Alliance, from 1993 to 1996)" until Nikki Kaye took it off Judith Tizard. Ardern, who had previously failed to win the safe National Waikato electorate, was apparently considered to nonetheless be a star in the making and she was nominated in the Auckland Central electorate to try and reclaim it for Labour. She failed to do that in the next two elections before she was given more appropriate for her winning ways - a safe Labour seat.
Oh yeah, that's been OHP funny since day one. That's why I called her a perennial loser above. The constant puff pieces over the years couldn't even boost that kind of fail (till now, when labour's around 26% and the pundits in the tank don't have key to blame for modern life in the western world, so out come the keyboard opinions and now it's really her time).
The beauty is we still have the chance to see a Labour leader of Little's calibre, campaign, articulate and account, for more new policy but now with her at his side.. and they get on so well! Fun times still ahead.