Silly First Name Syndrome.
Old 7th March 2012, 17:22     #34162
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
The baby's name in this article gets a big WTF from me

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6539...ver-pram-crash
Reading the hatched/matched/despatched in the local Napier paper is a laugh. There are lots of kids named after spirits/beer, cars, and TV/movie characters. The 'and' signifies that often it is a combination thereof, i.e. Tequila Falcon Xena is not out of the question.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:46     #34163
A Corpse
talkative lurker

I know that it's purely the driver's fault, but I never step onto a pedestrian crossing without making eye contact with approaching drivers. Firstly to know they see me, secondly to make sure they know that I know I have the right of way.
Old 7th March 2012, 21:58     #34164
chiQ
Frag-muff

Me too. Even so I have had half a dozen near misses with the crossing outside my house. Some crossings get pretty much ignored, and it's one of them.
Old 8th March 2012, 00:01     #34165
Nich

synthesizing crickets for a production of A Winter's Tale.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:15     #34166
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
I know that it's purely the driver's fault, but I never step onto a pedestrian crossing without making eye contact with approaching drivers. Firstly to know they see me, secondly to make sure they know that I know I have the right of way.
As far as I'm aware: The onus is on the driver to stop if safe for pedestrians at a crossing. However, the pedestrian has a responsibility to ensure that the approaching car is stopping or has stopped. IE, you can't just step the fuck out onto the road you motherfuckers.

Also, and this is a significant also in this particular case - a split road crossing (one with a traffic island in the middle) is two crossings. TWO. You cannot cross one side and immediately continue on the other without checking (as above) and this is so for visibility reasons. I note that road is full of split crossings...

My first thought on seeing that headline was "I bet there's more to this story."

Media huh. Agar is a media. You can grow poo bacteria in agar. Therefore..
Old 8th March 2012, 09:16     #34167
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I have found that being prepared for and then whipping out my iPhone as if to take a photo can result in some drivers deciding to test their ABS; or at least this works on one particular stopping-optional crossing that I use.
Old 8th March 2012, 13:48     #34168
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

"but, Your Honour, it was some douche with an iPhone....."
"case dismissed"
Old 8th March 2012, 13:52     #34169
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

For those of you with nieces and nephews - do you buy yours Easter eggs?
Old 8th March 2012, 14:07     #34170
CCS
Stunt Pants

I think you should tell your nieces and nephews that they're fat enough already and give them tofu eggs instead.
Old 8th March 2012, 21:25     #34171
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
No.
Old 8th March 2012, 22:24     #34172
chiQ
Frag-muff

No.
Old 8th March 2012, 22:40     #34173
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
Hell no.
Old 9th March 2012, 10:43     #34174
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Hell no.
That's good enough for me, just saved myself $30-$40. Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 11:53     #34175
xor

I just found out who the mother of Cezar Taylor is (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...-babys-seizure)

Her grandparents lived on the corner of my street and they used to look after her and her sister when her mother was away doing crack or whatever she did. The girl was messed up so it isn't really a shock, she was sexually abused, beaten and couldn't read at the age of 14.
Old 9th March 2012, 18:54     #34176
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

gen y job search

Quote:
Hi,

My name is ******, I am writing in regards to possible job or internship opportunities.

I have completed my studies with a degree in Communication and Media Management, dabbled in the world of photography, spent eight months globetrotting, and I am eager to break into the world of Marketing Communications.
Is this how kids apply for jobs these days? Just randomly send emails saying "hey, I've been hanging out and doing some shit and now I'm ready to break into your industry!"
Old 9th March 2012, 19:06     #34177
Cyberbob

Na, that's just comms and media graduates.
Old 9th March 2012, 19:12     #34178
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Is this how kids apply for jobs these days? Just randomly send emails saying "hey, I've been hanging out and doing some shit and now I'm ready to break into your industry!"
So a graduate just rocked up and asked to work for you for free, and you're complaining?
Old 9th March 2012, 19:20     #34179
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
So a graduate just rocked up and asked to work for you for free, and you're complaining?
Physically rocked up and asked, and I wouldn't mind.

Copy and pasted a low effort email to 100 "potential employers"? Stuff em.
Old 9th March 2012, 19:21     #34180
GM

Copy and pasted a low effort email to 100 people are just the sort of skills required to run a marketing company. What was your point again?
Old 9th March 2012, 20:16     #34181
GM

Oh fuck, I just realised they didn't personalise that email at all, it simply says
'hi', I fucking hate that, and would like to retract everything I've said.

Last edited by GM : 9th March 2012 at 20:17.
Old 9th March 2012, 21:17     #34182
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
fuck bro you don't have to shit on me like that, i was just trying to get some work experience.
Old 9th March 2012, 22:18     #34183
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Oh fuck, I just realised they didn't personalise that email at all, it simply says
'hi', I fucking hate that, and would like to retract everything I've said.
Mail Merge is the only "skill" a marketer needs. Even then, it's awesome when you get emails like

Quote:
Hi <Book1:ColumnA>,

Buy my stuff

Regards,

Me
Old 9th March 2012, 22:22     #34184
StN
I have detailed files

Dear Rich Bastard, ...
Old 11th March 2012, 01:21     #34185
MadMax
Stuff

They are small, water-dwelling, segmented animals with eight legs.

Quote:
Temperature – tardigrades can survive being heated for a few minutes to 151 °C (424 K), [19] or being chilled for days at -200 °C (73 K),[19] or for a few minutes at -272 °C (~1 degree above absolute zero).[20]
Pressure – they can withstand the extremely low pressure of a vacuum and also very high pressures, more than 1,200 times atmospheric pressure. Tardigrades can survive the vacuum of open space and solar radiation combined for at least 10 days.[20] Some species can also withstand pressure of 6,000 atmospheres, which is nearly six times the pressure of water in the deepest ocean trench, the Mariana trench.[12]
Dehydration – tardigrades have been shown to survive nearly 10 years in a dry state.[21] When encountered by extremely low temperatures, their body composition goes from 85% water to only 3%. As water expands upon freezing, dehydration ensures the tardigrades do not get ripped apart by the freezing ice (as waterless tissues cannot freeze).[22]
Radiation – tardigrades can withstand median lethal doses of 5,000 Gy (of gamma-rays) and 6,200 Gy (of heavy ions) in hydrated animals (5 to 10 Gy could be fatal to a human).[23] The only explanation thus far for this ability is that their lowered water state provides fewer reactants for the ionizing radiation.[24]
Environmental toxins – tardigrades can undergo chemobiosis—a cryptobiotic response to high levels of environmental toxins. However, these laboratory results have yet to be verified.[25][26]
Outer space – In September 2007, tardigrades were taken into low Earth orbit on the FOTON-M3 mission and for 10 days were exposed to the vacuum of space. After being rehydrated back on Earth, over 68% of the subjects protected from high-energy UV radiation survived and many of these produced viable embryos, and a handful had survived full exposure to solar radiation.[20][27] In May 2011, tardigrades were sent into space along with other extremophiles on STS-134, the final flight of Space Shuttle Endeavour.[28][29][30] In November 2011, they were among the organisms sent by the US-based Planetary Society on the Russian Fobos-Grunt mission to Phobos.

Last edited by MadMax : 11th March 2012 at 01:24.
Old 11th March 2012, 13:21     #34186
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
How is it a bad law to stop a bunch of fucking idiots striking not for their OWN work and conditions but in supposed support of "comrades"? An assertion isn't an argument. Do you want a society where any asshole can just call a strike on the basis of "Solidarity motherfucker. I stand behind the [insert never ending list of random other losers who went on strike]?". You seem to be some shit-for-brains who thinks that a mere endless repetition of some favoured narrative justifies (both morally and legally) extraordinarily extreme and selfish positions adopted by groups that you favour.

Hell, you like workers so much eh and love your wildcat strikes? What about the prospect of innocent workers who work in distribution or wherever else whose jobs and livelihoods are put at risk because a few fuckwits at various ports are ANGRY and refuse to unload ships? Do some people's jobs matter more?

Sleep on that a bit, you selfish twit.
anatomy of an nzgames post.
Old 11th March 2012, 13:32     #34187
CCS
Stunt Pants

Why do you say that?
Old 11th March 2012, 14:32     #34188
crocos

Praise be to magic Woody Allen zombie Jesus! MadMax has failed to have a complete thought in his head, yet again!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 11th March 2012, 23:56     #34189
chiQ
Frag-muff

So, does anyone know if the kid in the Cheerios ad is Greer Robson's daughter?
Old 12th March 2012, 11:06     #34190
StN
I have detailed files

Emos are gay.

Quote:
Young people who identify themselves as so-called Emos are being brutally killed at an alarming rate in Iraq, where militias have distributed hit lists of victims and security forces say they are unable to stop crimes against the subculture that is widely perceived in Iraq as being gay.
Unless the emo is Katy Perry.

Last edited by StN : 12th March 2012 at 11:09.
Old 12th March 2012, 11:17     #34191
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
imo he gave too much away, should have just told you how much he needs in his bank account each week to rock your fucking world.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:37     #34192
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Quote:
Young people who identify themselves as so-called Emos are being brutally killed at an alarming rate in Iraq, where militias have distributed hit lists of victims and security forces say they are unable to stop crimes against the subculture that is widely perceived in Iraq as being gay.
dont see what the issue is tbh
Old 12th March 2012, 17:49     #34193
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Katy Perry's emo? Since when?
Old 12th March 2012, 19:42     #34194
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Katy Perry's emo? Since when?
I think it was last week that she said she wants to grow her hair over her face and sing dark songs to piss off Russell.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:46     #34195
xor

I wanna see an African Child remixed with a little dash of Kony
Old 12th March 2012, 20:13     #34196
Spink

Met Mike's (Xen) parents and sister for the first time at a wedding yesterday, Mike's dad's sister married my Dad. It was a fun event and it was nice to be able to meet a lot of his relatives, a lot of them were a lot like him I thought. They asked me about or talked about some people using real names that I only knew the nicknames of. They talked about Andrew at Quay computers and I was fairly sure that was Cyrus/Deth but I'm not sure, and Chris which I think they said is Greenman. They recounted tales of going to The Hub with Mike and stuff which was neat, I asked if they remembered FurryCrew (by description of "that loud guy") and they did. Ended up getting stuck at Tauranga airport with Mike's sister for an hour and a half and chatted some more so that was nice!
Old 12th March 2012, 21:43     #34197
MadMax
Stuff

ib4wsh?
Old 12th March 2012, 23:00     #34198
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
and Chris which I think they said is Greenman.
Mr. Green.
Old 12th March 2012, 23:38     #34199
Spink

Ahh yes, too much greenmangaming website for me.