Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 31st July 2015, 13:54     #3281
Lightspeed

facepalm

Democracy in and out of action

Quote:
Mr McClay rejected demands the negotiations should be more transparent.

"The people who want us to make public these documents actually don't want to see the texts. They just want to derail the agreement, an agreement , if concluded, [that] will deliver benefit to the New Zealand economy," he said.
Damn, this is some CCS-level shit right here.
Old 31st July 2015, 14:20     #3282
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Got anything else other than ad hominem? I mean, the head of Federated Farmers sounded pretty glum about the whole deal the other day.
Sure, but it's 100% wasted on you.
Old 31st July 2015, 14:40     #3283
Delphinus

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...-the-perplexed is a good overview.

It all just seems so imbalanced.

Positives
Potentially more dairy exports for NZ

Negatives
Longer patents on medicines = Higher prices for all New Zealanders
Tighter intellectual property laws.
New restrictions on state-owned enterprises
Corporations able to sue our Govt if we create laws restricting their profits.

http://thewireless.co.nz/articles/th...id-of-the-tppa
Old 31st July 2015, 14:45     #3284
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Sure, but it's 100% wasted on you.
For the benefit of others then?
Old 1st August 2015, 11:52     #3285
Lightspeed

Secrecy of TPPA documents goes to the High Court:
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO150...s-to-court.htm

Quote:
An urgent application for judicial review will challenge Trade Minister Tim Groser’s blanket refusal to release any of the categories of information sought by University of Auckland Professor Jane Kelsey under an Official Information Act request on 25 January this year.
Old 1st August 2015, 16:55     #3286
fixed_truth

It wouldn't be so bad if it was easier for us to get out of/renegotiate in the future. By the time we get rid of this shallow useless government it'll be too late
Old 1st August 2015, 17:08     #3287
Lightspeed

Looks like the talks have stalled, dairy and medicine patents being an issue for New Zealand.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/0...010407557.html

Still far from over, but it will be interesting to see if anything different will happen before US election campaign season starts.
Old 1st August 2015, 19:34     #3288
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

They need to send Steven Joyce over to sort this shit out.

(because then Winston will be the winner)
Old 6th August 2015, 14:49     #3289
Lightspeed

Quote:
Radio NZ walking a thin line between telling it how it is and biting the hand that feeds:
http://thewireless.co.nz/articles/th...ord-on-a-plate

Excellent work, let's hope they snag John Campbell.
Boom!

John Campbell to join Radio NZ
Old 6th August 2015, 15:06     #3290
CCS
Stunt Pants

Not sure why that is in the Politics forum.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:10     #3291
Lightspeed

Anyone else puzzled? CCS is selectively dense... I mean, or just plain dense, but let's be generous.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:38     #3292
CCS
Stunt Pants

Just because I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory that John Campbell choosing not to sign a new contract is part of some Machiavellian scheme by John Key, doesn't mean I'm being selectively dense.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:50     #3293
Lightspeed

Oh, so you do have some idea as to how there might be a political edge to this, thus explaining why the post might be in a political forum.

I mean, the truth is when I saw the news, I recalled posting the post I quoted. I simply searched for the post and quoted it in the thread I found it.

But clearly there is a genuine political element as well that you take umbrage with, a discussion you apparently wish to deny.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 6th August 2015 at 15:53.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:55     #3294
CCS
Stunt Pants

No, lolspeed, there is no genuine political element to it at all. It's just more Key Derangement Syndrome which you are in the grips of.
Old 6th August 2015, 16:03     #3295
Lightspeed

lolz, name calling, the height of politics. If the discussion didn't belong here before, it clearly does now.
Old 6th August 2015, 16:09     #3296
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

AND SO'S YOUR FACE!
Old 6th August 2015, 16:40     #3297
crocos

Conspiracy theory doesn't mean politics Lightspeed. CCS is right.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th August 2015, 16:59     #3298
Lightspeed

Tell me more of this conspiracy theory? The first I heard of it was when CCS mentioned it today.

Did anyone noticed the post I quoted? That didn't seem to be about any conspiracy theory.
Old 6th August 2015, 17:27     #3299
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I think John Campbell is one of NZ's best and most popular journos, and while I concede he occasionally crosses the line from "investigative" to "foaming at the mouth" to the detriment of his stories, I think his involvement in political news has been good for NZ's public debate. I'd rather have even a "foaming at the mouth" John Campbell in the mix than just another media rep sucking the Government's cock because they're the government.
Old 6th August 2015, 18:13     #3300
madmaxii

On a slightly different note. I hear Mr Cunliffe has a new girlfriend. I wonder what her mother might say? And, It could also be even more difficult for her to remain being seen as an impartial political reporter
Old 6th August 2015, 19:18     #3301
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

??
Old 6th August 2015, 22:07     #3302
madmaxii

Do the names Sue and Katie ring a bell?
Old 6th August 2015, 22:36     #3303
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Did anyone noticed the post I quoted? That didn't seem to be about any conspiracy theory.
It doesn't seem to be about John Campbell either
Old 6th August 2015, 22:49     #3304
Lightspeed

Old 6th August 2015, 22:51     #3305
CCS
Stunt Pants

Fuck off to random thoughts, idiot.
Old 6th August 2015, 22:52     #3306
Lightspeed

Laugh

lolz
Old 6th August 2015, 23:25     #3307
CCS
Stunt Pants

The turds and jizz are all lolspeeds.
Old 7th August 2015, 14:05     #3308
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I think John Campbell is one of NZ's best and most popular journos, and while I concede he occasionally crosses the line from "investigative" to "foaming at the mouth" to the detriment of his stories, I think his involvement in political news has been good for NZ's public debate. I'd rather have even a "foaming at the mouth" John Campbell in the mix than just another media rep sucking the Government's cock because they're the government.
I have a friend who works for TV3, he bore the brunt of some of my news media rants for awhile with good grace. He was never really defensive of John Campbell when I complained he should be using his position more to highlight some of the issues I saw as under reported at the time, but it was clear he was a fan. He pretty much shared the same sentiment Kamahl Santamaria expressed when it looked like TV3 might drop John. Someone you could always turn to for a bit of support and encouragement, really approachable without a lot of ego.

I'm thrilled RNZ has picked him up. No doubt there will still be pressures, but I suspect the line he has to walk will be much less fine without commercial interests to consider. I wouldn't mind a little more foaming from RNZ personally.
Old 7th August 2015, 16:21     #3309
fixed_truth

Quote:
Radio NZ walking a thin line between telling it how it is and biting the hand that feeds:
That cartoon is bloody marvelous.
Old 7th August 2015, 16:26     #3310
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's certainly stuck in my mind.
Old 7th August 2015, 17:09     #3311
crocos

Because f_t failquoted:

Old 10th August 2015, 21:41     #3312
The Edge

Did anyone else get that junk mail leaflet from Col'n Craig in their letterbox last week? Protesting his innocence or...something.
Old 10th August 2015, 22:29     #3313
CCS
Stunt Pants

Apparently he's sending it all over the country. Because he thinks people are interested in the internal politics of his poxy party.
Old 14th August 2015, 15:26     #3314
crocos

Tony Abbot: Making Labour look like a viable option.
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/tony-a...14-giyzku.html

Old 14th August 2015, 15:33     #3315
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I had no idea Abbott's government would be this bad. Take the worst government you've ever seen and add a suitcase full of bad.
Old 31st August 2015, 18:16     #3316
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://thestandard.org.nz/the-politi...he-all-blacks/
Old 1st September 2015, 12:50     #3317
pxpx

Oh god the comments
Old 1st September 2015, 13:10     #3318
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

They just seem so miserable. Everything is terrible all the time.
Old 1st September 2015, 16:14     #3319
pxpx

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11506237

Sums it up really.
Old 1st September 2015, 16:58     #3320
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
The irritating section in there around trade liberalisation. Quin is treating the TPPA specific criticism and criticism of the process as applying to all trade agreements. Yes the process issues do apply to all trade agreements, but the majority of Labour commentary is TPPA specific. TPPA is an absolutely toxic piece of crap that if it's anywhere near to it's current form should never be passed.

Capital Gains - frankly Labour's "minimums" are sensible policy that will close the ridiculously huge gaps in National's somewhat half-arsed dishwater proposal. They've said that if these standards are met then they'll vote for it. How is that the "pessimistic" approach that Quin is complaining of?

The Flag issue: He just does what he's blaming Labour of here, being obstructionist and disingenuous. He's critical of the stance without including any reasons, while Labour's commentary boils down to: "There's better, more socially important things to spend money on, why are we wasting millions on this?" And they're right.

Last edited by crocos : 1st September 2015 at 16:59.