NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 6th September 2012, 17:40     #33001
Cyberbob

Getting a few commercial photography jobs these days.
Oils: Getting paying gigs.
Grind: Net 30 if you're lucky.

Don't make me chase you, again.

edit: also, 33,000th reply!
Old 6th September 2012, 19:24     #33002
jb

#33001 lies
Old 7th September 2012, 11:13     #33003
aR Que

Sales people gmfg, When i want to get hold of one to give me a price. No where to be found.
When i don't want their shit, they're busting down the door with their pack of biscuits and pamphlets.

Oh man, don't even get me started about when they DON'T bring the biscuits.
Old 8th September 2012, 08:44     #33004
fixed_truth

My eye starts to twitch when I hear/read adults talk about deceased loved ones i.e. 'can't wait to see them again', 'she's watching over us keeping us safe', 'in a better place' etc. I'm not sure if it's the baseless religious crap that grinds me or it's that they get a placebo that doesn't work on me.

/cynical and grumpy faggot that likes to over-analyse every tube on the internet to check for leaks or used tampons floating inside
Old 8th September 2012, 23:28     #33005
Lightspeed

They may not be stating what they think is true, but rather offering some kind of symbolism, creating a narrative to explain the state of their inner self-object representation of the deceased.

I mean, or it could be both... but you have to do something with what remains of that person inside you. Spiritualisation isn't the only avenue people take, but I don't think you're wrong that it does seem a more satisfying solution than other measures (such as rationalisation or denial.)

Reality is harsh. But it also doesn't care what you believe about it, you just need to watch out for the pointy bits.
Old 8th September 2012, 23:49     #33006
leadinjector

meh, some people are just feeble. any time someone tells me about how big the universe is, or they just saw a doco on it and how it made them feel so small and helpless, i automatically just assume they are weak minded. who gives a fuck. its like dying. people can invent stories about what happens when people die if they want, whatever makes them feel better, but its just another sign of a weak person. people die and go in the ground as far as we know, end of story.

and the "theyre in a better place" makes me chuckle a bit too. most people are cunts and would probably go to hell if such a thing existed.
Old 9th September 2012, 00:43     #33007
SehrGut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
and the "theyre in a better place" makes me chuckle a bit too. most people are cunts and would probably go to hell if such a thing existed.
"hell is other people"
Old 9th September 2012, 01:03     #33008
fixed_truth

Yeah I think that it is a coping mechanism. Though imo that's what 'life after death' beliefs are. People want or need to believe it to be true so it doesn't seem to be something that they are willing to seriously examine. To me that is denial.
Old 9th September 2012, 17:19     #33009
Lightspeed

I doubt you have anything against people coping, we all have to cope. What do you think is being denied? What kind of fruit do you think examination would bear? That the nature of death is unknown?
Old 9th September 2012, 19:00     #33010
fixed_truth

In brief I think that believing in an afterlife is believing whatever makes you happy and this generally isn't a good place to make our decisions from. Why? Because often this denies the development of a personal and wider responsibility. Without a safety net our (individual & societal) problems are ultimately our responsibility and so everything is going to be alright - only if we make it so.

Imo a much better way would be to seek truth and find happiness in it.
Old 9th September 2012, 19:12     #33011
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Imo a much better way would be to seek truth and find happiness in it.
Sure, but if truth is unprovable, why not let people find happiness in whatever BS they make up, provided it's not hurting anyone?
Old 9th September 2012, 19:19     #33012
Lightspeed

We all make up stories to satisfy ourselves when it is not possible or reasonable to know any alternative. There is simply no alternative.
Old 9th September 2012, 19:19     #33013
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Sure, but if truth is unprovable, why not let people find happiness in whatever BS they make up, provided it's not hurting anyone?
i think the problem there is that generally, it can and does hurt people when their made up beliefs tell them that those dudes i nthe next valley over are a bunch of faggots that need to die for their sins in the eyes of holy Raprashatmahut. (that may not be the name of an actual god)
Old 9th September 2012, 19:21     #33014
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
We all make up stories to satisfy ourselves when it is not possible or reasonable to know any alternative. There is simply no alternative.
the alternative is to not give a shit. there is plenty of stuff going on that i dont understand, such as maths, or what time the coffee shop downstairs -actually- opens at, but that doesnt mean i have to make shit up to explain it so i can sleep at night.
Old 9th September 2012, 19:27     #33015
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
i think the problem there is that generally, it can and does hurt people when their made up beliefs tell them that those dudes i nthe next valley over are a bunch of faggots that need to die for their sins in the eyes of holy Raprashatmahut. (that may not be the name of an actual god)
OK, without getting into a religious debate (please don't, Lightspeed is back), fixed_truth's original gripe was about people who speak of the deceased in a "can't wait to see them again", "watching over us" etc.
Basically the harmless fairy tales, Grandma is watching us from the brightest star in the sky, that sort of crap. "Harmless" being the operative word. It's not hurting anyone, and it's not even an aspect of an organised religion - as nowhere in Christianity, Hinduism, Islam (ad nauseum) is there a clause that says "your nana is allowed to watch over you from ____".
This is obviously not the heavy duty religious shit here, just the polite things people end up telling our kids when they're crying at funerals.
Old 9th September 2012, 19:30     #33016
Lightspeed

If being tough is all you can be then you must be pretty weak... Choosing to be tough when it's time to be tough and soft when it's time to be soft is another thing...

Too bad this had to be about religion though. :/
Old 9th September 2012, 19:48     #33017
fixed_truth

Quote:
If people can believe in an afterlife while simultaneously not having conservative morals or an accompanying belief that whatever happens is Gods will (ie undermining responsibility) then that's fine.

(tried not to drop the G bomb but hey )
Old 9th September 2012, 20:00     #33018
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
If people can believe in an afterlife while simultaneously not having conservative morals or an accompanying belief that whatever happens is Gods will (ie undermining responsibility) then that's fine.
Weirdly enough, most of the people I know that throw the self-soothing but non-religious afterlife comments around tend to be pretty non-conservative and self-determining. And old.
I think the afterlife faff is just to put a band-aid on grief rather than any realistic statement of belief

Last edited by ChaosWulf : 9th September 2012 at 20:04.
Old 9th September 2012, 20:26     #33019
Lightspeed

Quote:
I doubt it is particularly conscious. I think you'll find excluding those that are actively religious most people make those kind of utterances without any thoughts of a deeper cosmology.

Quote:
I think the afterlife faff is just to put a band-aid on grief rather than any realistic statement of belief
The death of a loved one, particularly someone close and present in someone's life is a complex affair. I mean, people can go through some really weird stuff after the death of someone close or otherwise significant. Stuff that makes "oh, she's watching me from a better place" seem like such a nice and sweet way to deal with things.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 9th September 2012 at 20:31.
Old 9th September 2012, 20:44     #33020
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
I mean, people can go through some really weird stuff after the death of someone close or otherwise significant. Stuff that makes "oh, she's watching me from a better place" seem like such a nice and sweet way to deal with things.
Agreed.
Old 9th September 2012, 22:44     #33021
Nothing

Quote:
I mean, people can go through some really weird stuff after the death of someone close or otherwise significant. Stuff that makes "oh, she's watching me from a better place" seem like such a nice and sweet way to deal with things.
Perhaps for the individual involved that is a nice/sweet way to deal with the circumstances. That doesn't make it any less delusional.
Old 9th September 2012, 23:08     #33022
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggar
hey fuckwits, if you're going to leave a voicemail with a phone number please don't rattle it off at a thousand miles an hour in your gibberish dialect.
... at the end of a very long phone message on a phone system that doesn't have a 'rewind' function - forcing you to replay the whole thing.
Old 10th September 2012, 10:31     #33023
StN
I have detailed files

Hanging a couple of telly's on the wall, and even though I know the mount is 100% level due to the sharkfart at the midpoint - and getting the wife to have a look just so she doesn't go spare when I chuck the thing up on the wall.

Yerp - looks like things are a bit out of whack...

"Why does it look like its leaning back towards that doorway?"

"Because the house is sinking towards the window..."
Old 10th September 2012, 12:23     #33024
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Hanging a couple of telly's on the wall, and even though I know the mount is 100% level due to the sharkfart at the midpoint - and getting the wife to have a look just so she doesn't go spare when I chuck the thing up on the wall.

Yerp - looks like things are a bit out of whack...

"Why does it look like its leaning back towards that doorway?"

"Because the house is sinking towards the window..."

Find what looks "eye level" in your house - match level to it - etch new guidelines into level - bingo!
Old 10th September 2012, 12:28     #33025
cyc
Objection!

Oh FFS

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10833019

Quote:
Scott Guy's widow Kylee is considering leaving New Zealand if Ewen Macdonald is given a light sentence or released from jail on Friday.

The Herald revealed earlier today that Mrs Guy had penned a letter to Attorney General Chris Finlayson on Friday - a week before Macdonald is sentenced on six charges of criminal damage, arson and theft.

In the letter, also sent to the Prime Minister, Justice Minister and other politicians, Mrs Guy has asked that Macdonald be sentenced cumulatively rather than concurrently.
This "letter" represents a profound misunderstanding of how the justice system works and ought to work. On the other hand, this woman is still grieving and on the face of it Macdonald is a real bastard, so one can forgive her for this misguided little campaign.

However, one has to ask why a so called "newspaper" would see fit to report on something so constitutionally inappropriate AND to further open up this poor woman's wounds. Are there no limits to how far these people will go to sell some "news"?
Old 10th September 2012, 12:36     #33026
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Find what looks "eye level" in your house - match level to it - etch new guidelines into level - bingo!
Wait a week and it'll be off again...
Old 10th September 2012, 12:44     #33027
aR Que

installed civil 3d 2013, because someone decided we needed to upgrade (le sigh).
The bad news? No new functionality that i can see, except options are highlighted in the command bar, oh goodie! The good news? They've managed to make it run even slower. Just the feature i was looking for.
Old 10th September 2012, 13:18     #33028
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Are there no limits to how far these people will go to sell some "news"?
Is it Rhetorical Questions Monday?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 10th September 2012, 14:00     #33029
Stalk3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Is it Rhetorical Questions Monday?
i was just going to reply "no" but your answer works too
Old 10th September 2012, 14:18     #33030
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
This "letter" represents a profound misunderstanding of how the justice system works and ought to work. On the other hand, this woman is still grieving and on the face of it Macdonald is a real bastard, so one can forgive her for this misguided little campaign.
The justice system is 1 part process, 2 parts theatre, 4 parts ritualism.

At least that's my experience from being a juror in the High Court twice now. Never again though, the last one was too distressing.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:23     #33031
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
The justice system is 1 part process, 2 parts theatre, 4 parts ritualism.

At least that's my experience from being a juror in the High Court twice now. Never again though, the last one was too distressing.
Thank you for your useless and bland observation.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:26     #33032
TnT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Are there no limits to how far these people will go to sell some "news"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Is it Obvious Answers Monday?
FTFY Crocos.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:36     #33033
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Thank you for your useless and bland observation.
Just keeping in the spirit of the OP.
Old 10th September 2012, 15:14     #33034
cyc
Objection!

The difference between my post and yours is that I kept to the spirit of the thread by just posting my gear-grind, the meaning of which is obvious to anyone smarter than a dog, which evidently excludes Lightspeed. OTOH, your post basically had no meaning, other than throwing out a plethora of unqualified and hyperbolic (when used within their context) adjectives. It just keeps up with your usual, pathetic standard of "thoughts" which resemble nothing other than runny diarrhoea.

LOLspeed.
Old 10th September 2012, 15:19     #33035
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
I'm the best and you're the worst.

Dootypants.
Old 10th September 2012, 15:20     #33036
CCS
Stunt Pants

This forum was better when lolspeed wasn't here.

Now he's back and it's like the guy who never showers and there's just this odour that lingers around the place.
Old 10th September 2012, 15:22     #33037
StN
I have detailed files

I remember those 5 months like they were yesterday...
Old 10th September 2012, 15:45     #33038
Lightspeed

Rolling eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
This forum was better when lolspeed wasn't here.
On the other hand NZGames is greatly enhanced by your constant complaints about the quality of others' posts.
Old 10th September 2012, 16:02     #33039
aR Que

Don't worry LS, i've missed you <3
Old 10th September 2012, 17:23     #33040
CCS
Stunt Pants

Rolling eyes

Quote:
On the other hand NZGames is greatly enhanced by your constant complaints about the quality of others' posts.
Well of course it stands to reason that if I can get people to post better then nzgames will benefit. Duh.