User Name
Password

Old 2nd April 2009, 13:58     #281
Baal

It's true .....

.... thus far.
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:02     #282
Reformed_Quint

God chubby irritates the hell out of me.
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:45     #283
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
It is however almost certainly true.
It may be true but that doesn't mean that he's right.

The simple reality is that competitive markets are far more expensive than monopolies. In some cases such added expense is good in others (health is one of them) it's better to have a monopoly. I'm with Friedman on that score - if it's better to have a monopoly then it's best that it's a state/society owned one.
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:52     #284
Hurtuso

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman
Draco do you shampoo your Leninbeard?
lolz
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:25     #285
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
and what im saying is- why no fanfare?
a historic wrong has been put right.

Because we knew exactly what was coming for several months now. It's been talked about to death already (Maybe not necessarily in this thread, but in the general populous).

So... we're in to the second day of lower taxes. How's everyone doing? We coping? Shall we talk about it some?
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:31     #286
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I dont get my tax cut till the 15th! What an injustice!
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:36     #287
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Because we knew exactly what was coming for several months now. It's been talked about to death already (Maybe not necessarily in this thread, but in the general populous).

So... we're in to the second day of lower taxes. How's everyone doing? We coping? Shall we talk about it some?
~$20 extra a week, will buy an extra box of castlepoint for the weekend. Might buy a tinny instead, yet to be decided, good times ahead though.
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:37     #288
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hey, I get nothing!
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:46     #289
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Hey, I get nothing!
I call shennanigans - What about Rudd's stimulus packages...

You musta been offered free ceiling insulation?

Last edited by StN : 2nd April 2009 at 15:51.
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:47     #290
gentle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Hey, I get nothing!
We got Liz Shaw, you can have her back now.
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:25     #291
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I think he hit the nail on the head.
The point you made earlier was that the increase in levies was due to the fact that there's no user pays componant to the service ACC provides. That issue is somewhat separate from the issue of privatisation. Although privatisation would inevitably lead to user pays, it's not necessary to do the opposite under a state monopoly. They're not tied unless you believe that "the left" would oppose the idea on ideological grounds without examining the potential benefits of it, and that "the right" would oppose a user pays state monopoly on similar grounds. A somewhat pessimistic view, but understandable in all honesty.
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:36     #292
Hemebond

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
You musta been offered free ceiling insulation?
National axed it because it was "impractical". Instead National are going to build new gas power plants and heat the whole planet.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:00     #293
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

He's talking about the Australian Labor government's stimulus package. And as a matter of fact, I probably will take up their offer of free ceiling insulation
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:13     #294
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis
Although privatisation would inevitably lead to user pays...
I'll be very surprised indeed if privitisation extends to all of the ACC accounts. Last time it was just he employer's account - I expect it will be the same next time; assuming htere is a next time.

And, as for the big car registration increases that are coming. Why the hell aren;t the big premiums being paid by the big risk drivers?
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:45     #295
madmaxii

GT - I suspect, that given the past record of ACC, they would find it difficult - neh impossible, to work out who the high risk drivers were.
Old 8th April 2009, 13:13     #296
ZoSo

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10565827

Gets better by the day. Systematically destroying Labour's relevance.
Old 8th April 2009, 13:48     #297
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10565827

Gets better by the day. Systematically destroying Labour's relevance.
Content of that article = nil

How do you see that as putting even a single nail in Labour's coffin? Of course the Greens were going to have conversations with National. Hell, LABOUR is having conversations with National. It's how ideas are shared and policy formed.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 8th April 2009, 13:51     #298
ZoSo

Jeez, couldn't you let chubby go troppo in here before making some sense.

Way to ruin it.
Old 8th April 2009, 14:33     #299
Juju
get to da choppa

I was having a discussion the other day.

What do the backbenchers that weren't voted in by electorate vote (rather by party vote) in the labour party actually do all day?
Seriously, what do they do? They have no power, they have no electorate to look after, they're not ministers. Wtf do they do apart from take shots at National during discussion sessions?
Old 8th April 2009, 14:39     #300
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

One would assume they do the same as National list backbenchers..
Old 8th April 2009, 14:41     #301
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well no, because the National list backbenchers are members of a caucus that determines the Prime Minister of the country and decides on overall government policy. They're THE GOVERNMENT.
Old 8th April 2009, 14:53     #302
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Yeah but the opposition backbenchers would also frame party policy - they just don't get to introduce it into law, and instead just use it for toilet paper :P

There's also select committees etc
Old 8th April 2009, 16:49     #303
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

OK, so John Key has in the space of a couple of weeks

a) sent Helen Clark overseas
b) shuffled Michael Cullen not only out of Parliament but to a position in which he is effectively gagged
c) made Judith Tizard the face of the Labour Party
d) done a deal to gain support of the Greens

The man's got game.
Old 8th April 2009, 17:16     #304
Hory

I didn't realise John Key is also the UN Secretary General.

And a "deal to gain support of the Greens" is nothing of the sort, the agreement says the Greens will "consider facilitating government legislation via procedural support on a case by case basis".
They are still going to vote against the Government on confidence and supply.
Old 8th April 2009, 17:27     #305
crocos

Hory, I'm disappointed you rose to such an obvious troll.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 8th April 2009, 17:46     #306
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Greens deal means National back as the natural party of government

In a deal unthinkable pre-John Key, the Prime Minister has reached across the aisle and signed a memorandum of understanding with the Green Party, and has already started work on some joint initiatives.

The deal proposes a framework around which the two parties can work together to develop policy and legislation in areas of common interest.

John Key signed the document with Green co-leaders Jeanette Fitzsimons and Russel Norman today.

Under the terms of the agreement, both parties will retain their independence, and the right to speak on any issue freely. Both parties claim it is not based on any prerequisite policy agreements.

It is not a supply and confidence agreement, but its stated intent is to establish a “good faith working agreement.”

The deal sees the Greens gaining access to government ministers, appropriate departmental officials for both briefings and advice as well as input in to the ministerial decision making process, including cabinet papers.

In return the Greens will be asked to “consider facilitating government legislation via procedural support on a case by case basis.”
Minister of Energy and Resources, Gerry Brownlee, will also work with Ms Fitzsimons on the implementation, timing, and funding of energy efficiency measures that the Government wishes to advance. This will include the development of an updated and revised New Zealand Energy Strategy, and the updated Energy and Efficiency and Conservation Strategy.
National has pulled off a coup. Labour is basically a rump now - it has no leadership, it has no policies, and Key has spiked it on privatisation by appointing Cullen to an SOE. It's basically the only party left that doesn't have a voice in government.

A cynical observer (and I'm not one, nosirree) might entertain the notion that what National is doing here is trying to polarise the Green Party into "environmentalists" and "far-left social policy activists", using the former and ridiculing the latter.
Old 8th April 2009, 18:11     #307
Tranquil^

John Key strikes me as no more than some dime a dozen pretend politician who can now tick the "be prime minister" box on his list of things to do before dieing. The insignificance of this man will be revealed once he leaves office. A male Jenny Shipley springs to mind.

I personally have more faith in that guy across the ditch with the queer haircut. I wonder if we can organize a swap? Like the whole Steve Price for Russell Crow deal.
Old 8th April 2009, 21:30     #308
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

There's the sweet scent of a second term on the air already.
Old 8th April 2009, 22:52     #309
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

can i touch john keys penis as well?

actually, i am happy hes dealing with the greens, but i just hope its not just words.
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:07     #310
chubby

i dont like the boomers much myself- but stop picking on them already...

Quote:
DPF agrees, cancelling Cullen Fund rips off NZ
http://www.thestandard.org.nz/dpf-ag...d-rips-off-nz/
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:11     #311
Spink

cool story bro
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:12     #312
CCS
Stunt Pants

Chubby, do you have any original thoughts of your own? Or do you just take all your cues from blogs?
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:16     #313
madmaxii

He didn't deny it when I suggested he owned The Standard - but yes - he's a fuckwit.
Old 3rd June 2009, 06:59     #314
chubby

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Chubby, do you have any original thoughts of your own? Or do you just take all your cues from blogs?
Old 3rd June 2009, 07:55     #315
Hurtuso

laugh it up fuzzball
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:08     #316
?>Superman

Looks like he had no real comeback so he instead chose to do the old "lols i'm so just like laughin it off" but really he's crying like a well-beaten foster child from Uruguay.
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:13     #317
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
There's the sweet scent of a second term on the air already.
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:20     #318
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
i do have a few, but your inference that you'd be less of a cunt if i posted my own words is (from experience) a crock, gained over the few years ive posted,and the many ive lurked.
usual pattern.
1. chubby(or other pinko) posts
2. ccs (or other brownshirt) throws abuse.
3. echo chamber guards pitch in.
4. ...........

so whatever....
links turn out to be a quick,easy way to get on your tits. 8-)

(ps- keep the beard, it makes your lips look less girlie.)
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:28     #319
ZoSo

5. JP or adonis fleshes out chubby's blog regurgitation, chubby realises he really should have come up with that himself. Chubby then pats them on the back and makes some lame comment *again* about no-one on the right bothering to discuss politics with a partisan hack like himself.
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:40     #320
chubby

nah. i talk politics with plenty of wingnuts(you could almost say it's my job). just none of the 20something lamers that form the core community here.