you trolling?
Old 13th March 2013, 14:03     #2563
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

nup, loved it.
Old 13th March 2013, 14:04     #2564
wazza
*flex*

i got goosebumps watching Looper, that shit was baller.
i've watched it 3 or 4 times
Old 13th March 2013, 14:15     #2565
[BT]Monza

I was distracted by the fucked up shit they did to JGL's face to make him look like a young Bruce Willis.
Old 13th March 2013, 15:09     #2566
Baxton

I was distracted by the fact it was fairly boring and didn't really make any sense......and big fake nose that didn't change colour with the rest of his face also.
Old 13th March 2013, 15:33     #2567
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
I was distracted by the fact it was fairly boring and didn't really make any sense......
Which part were you struggling with? Made sense to me ... thought it was a really good story
Old 13th March 2013, 15:34     #2568
TnT

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter could quite conceivably knock Battlefield Earth off the 'worst movie of all time' throne. However I'm unable to fully judge as it has the honour of being amongst the few movies I've said 'I can't watch this anymore' and turned off. Can't believe I sat through 40 minutes of that before I gave up. It had the potential to be awesomely awful, but turned out to just be plain awful.

The remake of Total Recall was actually better than I thought it was going to be.

The wife wanted to watch the Paranormal Activity movies. The ending of 4 was a real let down.
Old 13th March 2013, 15:40     #2569
Baxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Which part were you struggling with? Made sense to me ... thought it was a really good story
I dunno how to do spoiler tags
Old 13th March 2013, 15:42     #2570
[BT]Monza

(spoiler)insert text(/spoiler)

But use square brackets...
Old 13th March 2013, 16:17     #2571
Baxton

o ta man
Hopefully I get this right, I have read through it and it kinda makes sense in my own head

The movie implies at the end that Bruce caused the rainmaker to be created in his own time-line by fucking up and killing the mother. This is not possible because to get into the position of meeting his wife and thus coming back for revenge he needs to have killed his future self, which is now himself. So he could not have been the one to create the rainmaker within his timeline.

Of course within the new time-line he could be the one to create the rainmaker......who is going to get created anyway because someone else must have killed the mother in the first time-line ergo it will likely happen again, unless he has done enough to change events during his vengeance rampage.

I guess it could be that the rainmaker in the first time-line was created by being a crazy fuck who didn't trust his real mother but gets brought the “land of cotton candy and bright fluffy anal piercings” via the past-self being such a great 2 week dad in the new time-line.

but that would be shitty story telling of the highest degree

which of course is all forgivable if the movie hadn't been full of boring and prosthetic noses
Old 13th March 2013, 16:24     #2572
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

two things:

1. don't sperg out on grandfather paradox shit, just assume that every time something different happens it's a new universe. Like with Seth getting surgerised as a young man, an Old Seth amputee wouldn't have been able to run, therefore would have been shot, therefore young Seth wouldn't have had his legs amputated, etc etc.

2. it's not actually Old Joe who causes the kid to grow up to be the Rainmaker, it's Young Joe. Down in the cellar when Young Joe and the kid are hiding from the assassin, Young Joe tells the story of his childhood - he was abandoned, grew up without a mother, hopped a train and the only thing he knew was that he was going to grow up and come back and fuck up everybody who hurt him when he was little. That's the Rainmaker story right there, that's what gives the kid the inspiration to do it, and it's YOUNG JOE who puts it in his mind.

best movie I've seen in ages. I love a good time travel story, but the story isn't about time travel, it's about violence.
Old 13th March 2013, 16:35     #2573
Baxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
two things:
1. don't sperg out on grandfather paradox shit, just assume that every time something different happens it's a new universe.
yea I am treating them as two seperate time-lines. I had heard someone from primer was involved so assumed the first rule would be "there is no such thing as paradox"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

2. it's not actually Old Joe who causes the kid to grow up to be the Rainmaker, it's Young Joe.

Still does not answer my underlying issue. who caused the rainmaker in the first timeline/universe etc when young joe and old joe never met the kid?
Old 13th March 2013, 17:17     #2574
Cowboy

Straight from the horse's mouth. Contains massive spoilers obviously.

http://www.slashfilm.com/ten-mysteri...-rian-johnson/

Last edited by Cowboy : 13th March 2013 at 17:22.
Old 13th March 2013, 17:17     #2575
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton

Still does not answer my underlying issue. who caused the rainmaker in the first timeline/universe etc when young joe and old joe never met the kid?
Maybe that's a universe where the kid grows up good, then decides to "fix things" anyway. Maybe the kid becoming the Rainmaker and taking control of the crime syndicates and closing all the loops is an unavoidable nexus that happens in all timelines regardless of how he grows up. It's possible that everyone in the story is an unreliable narrator when it comes to the Rainmaker - all we know of him are stories told by criminals that in the future the Rainmaker is punishing all the criminals.
Old 13th March 2013, 17:29     #2576
Cyberbob

The director, Rian Johnson, lists Primer as one of his favourite time travel movies, and has basically said that he's detailed his theory of time travel in Looper to the smallest detail, but didn't feel the need to explain it to the viewers.
Basically a "Look, this works, just shut up and watch it."

My personal favourite time travel movie: 12 Monkeys
Least favourite? Time Cop.
Old 13th March 2013, 18:02     #2577
Cowboy

Thought this was an interesting comment on another page about the same thing.

Quote:
I believe that the reason he becomes the rainmaker in the original timeline is because he does not accept Sara as his true mother. When Old Joe tries to kill Cid in the new timeline, Sara protects Cid and he finally accepts her. This newfound relationship with his true mother as well as Young Joe stopping Old Joe from killing Sara made it so that Cid would have a better life and not become the Rainmaker.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:23     #2578
TnT

Sound City. Awesome. While I'm not a huge Foo Fighters fan, Dave Grohl is one of the coolest guys on the planet.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:32     #2579
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
My personal favourite time travel movie: 12 Monkeys
Looper shat the bed with its telekinesis stuff.

Check out Timecrimes. It's surprisingly good.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:44     #2580
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
That's like saying Pulp Fiction shat the bed because of the thingy in the briefcase.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:46     #2581
Savage

Quote:
Just checking ... but you realise that the "telekinesis stuff" was a major point of the storyline, yes?
Old 19th March 2013, 14:51     #2582
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That's like saying Pulp Fiction shat the bed because of the thingy in the briefcase.
Yeah, nah. TK is more than a MacGuffin in Looper- the finale is structured around it.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:56     #2583
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I disagree with both of you I think the TK was totally irrelevant to the story. The kid could have had a unique birthmark and it wouldn't have changed anything.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:57     #2584
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Just checking ... but you realise that the "telekinesis stuff" was a major point of the storyline, yes?
I'm saying the potential of the interesting time travel ideas was ruined by the Magic Little Boy and the film was a mess.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:05     #2585
fixed_truth

^^
This.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:08     #2586
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I disagree with both of you I think the TK was totally irrelevant to the story. The kid could have had a unique birthmark and it wouldn't have changed anything.
Except his unique birthmark couldn't have let him explode people like an overripe watermelon.

I know what you're saying - he could have just become a brutal gangster killer type, sorta like p01s0n, and still been the "Rainmaker" - but in this story his influence came from his ability to turn people and things into sloppy lego pieces.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:19     #2587
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Random tangent: I wished that in the field scene the air-pressure change from the kid's TK bomb had made it rain.
Old 19th March 2013, 17:19     #2588
aR Que

looper had telekenesis in it? man did i stop paying attention.
Old 19th March 2013, 19:53     #2589
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Random tangent: I wished that in the field scene the air-pressure change from the kid's TK bomb had made it rain.
You don't feel that would have been a little... on the nose?
Old 27th April 2013, 16:44     #2590
StN
I have detailed files

I liked Ironman 3 - probably better than 2. Not so much product placement (although there may be a run on Dora the Explorer watches...)

Only about 15 people stayed for the end bit though.

In waiting for it I saw in the credits that Don Cheadle got a raw deal - Ms Paltrow and Mr Downey Jr had stylists. He only had a groomer. I had to explain to the boy that it wasn't racist, just that he has a #2 shaved 'fro.
Old 27th April 2013, 16:55     #2591
wazza
*flex*

I forgot to stay behind ;p damnit
Old 28th April 2013, 10:30     #2592
Ajax
Architeuthis

Recently watched Upstream Colour by Shane Carruth, the guy who wrote and directed an awesome little movie called Primer. UC is a very challenging and non-linear flick (bordering on surrealist) with particularly brilliant use of sound to convey particular sensations, and excellent dream-like cinematography. I won't say too much about the plot because it needs to be experienced. Highly recommended if you're able to think laterally to fill in some details and enjoy a heavy dose of bio-weird.

Last edited by Ajax : 28th April 2013 at 10:32.
Old 28th April 2013, 12:40     #2593
cEvin
Love In Vein

Grease 2, great movie
Old 28th April 2013, 15:29     #2594
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
I forgot to stay behind ;p damnit
You didn't miss much.
Old 5th May 2013, 18:10     #2595
[LvN]N3misiS

Quote:
Recently watched Upstream Colour by Shane Carruth, the guy who wrote and directed an awesome little movie called Primer. UC is a very challenging and non-linear flick (bordering on surrealist) with particularly brilliant use of sound to convey particular sensations, and excellent dream-like cinematography. I won't say too much about the plot because it needs to be experienced. Highly recommended if you're able to think laterally to fill in some details and enjoy a heavy dose of bio-weird.
Pretentious piece of crap. Made me want to put my fist through the tv. 96 minutes of my life I'm never gonna get back
Old 5th May 2013, 19:38     #2596
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LvN]N3misiS
Pretentious piece of crap. Made me want to put my fist through the tv. 96 minutes of my life I'm never gonna get back
Just close your eyes and think about a Michael Bay flick..

ahh, that's better.
Old 8th May 2013, 02:47     #2597
TnT

Wife is watching les miserables... Sorry just don't appreciate it at all. It's well crafted, but I just do not dig this at all.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:11     #2598
p01s0n

watch drive. drive is a good film.
it owns.
Old 8th May 2013, 10:33     #2599
Savage

Hansel & Gretel - Witch hunters.

What a steaming pile of shit (not sure why I thought it would be interesting - the trailer looked ok I guess).

Do not watch.
Old 8th May 2013, 14:06     #2600
Lightspeed

Re: Looper. Definitely good film, I liked the theme of selfishness and selflessness, and what's inbetween.

But here's a sperge I wrote about time travel awhile back:

Backwards time travel isn't possible for less obvious reasons, forwards doesn't work because the future doesn't exist. Infinite potential futures exist, but how do you define a landing point amongst those futures? You could define 100 years in the future... but which future? Maybe you could get a random one. But you wouldn't be able to get back due to the reasons below.

Backwards isn't possible because you will always end up with the information sent back in time precluding the possibility of the originating time travel event.

An obvious example is if you set up a time machine that will send you back in time 15 minutes before you stepped into the machine with the plan of destroying the machine once you got there, it wouldn't work. That wouldn't happen. You'd step into the time machine and go nowhere because it's impossible. Even if you split the time line, I think you'd only split into a parallel universe... and a parallel self would split into your universe with the same intentions... cancelling out your ability to split in the first place, so it wouldn't happen in the first place.

So, you make a time machine and you don't plan to destroy it. In fact you plan to protect it carefully right up until the originating point of time travel. So say you successfully watch yourself step into the time machine. Well, there would be a change in the originating point of time travel. The change could be obvious such as your younger self seeing your older self, thus entering with a new memory. To the most subtle changes in air pressure, gravity. These changes would propagate through to the next iteration of travel. Infinitely. Until eventually circumstances arise that prevent the originating travel point succeeding, collapsing the whole time travel event until the point where the originating event simply does not work.

Much like how electrons can only follow certain orbits because other orbits are impossible, they'd just cancel themselves out due to their wave-like nature. Time travel cancels itself out.

Another problem is of course a stable backwards time travel event would create a point of infinite entropy, which would collapse the event.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 8th May 2013 at 14:08.