NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 16th May 2009, 14:13     #2521
herp

Recording the Celtics vs Magic game 6 on mysky then seeing the dreaded "end of recorded programme" screen with 2 mins to go in the 4th quarter, all this after staying away from all basketball related news and sites for 2 days so I could watch the game. Not cool.
Old 16th May 2009, 14:18     #2522
dead goon

Wrong thread matey.

But hey, at least there is a game 7
Old 16th May 2009, 15:00     #2523
herp

Oops, game 7 oils my gears then.
Old 16th May 2009, 18:30     #2524
Delphinus

After 8 years of never touching a piano I've finally made time to borrow a friends keyboard, familiarised myself with the keys, taught myself to read music again (go the internets!), and am picking up all the pieces I used to enjoy playing back when I was taking lessons! It feels really good!
Now to find myself a piano without spending too much... (And then just have to work out how to get it into the house - perched on the side of a Dunedin hill.
Old 16th May 2009, 18:49     #2525
Hurtuso

that sounds cool. Perhaps get yourself a usb keyboard which feels right and a decent music editing program? Endless fun.
Old 16th May 2009, 18:52     #2526
Delphinus

Yeah after messing round with keyboards, electric pianos, and acoustic pianos at the local shops I really would prefer a real piano for playing the classical stuff, so will try and get one of those cheaply.
But i'd also like to mess round with a keyboard as well so stage 2 is see how much $ I have left over after sorting a piano and get something to play round with. One assumes you do that yourself?
Old 16th May 2009, 19:07     #2527
Hurtuso

Not classically trained at all just muddle around with sounds I like. I can understand how you'd be more discerning given your experience. Just got a cheap roland usb keyboard which I use with various programs. It's so much fun given all the creative options you can have with todays tech. I get lost in it. Want to get a usb/guitar setup as I can get more feeling out of guitars. It's just great fun eh
Old 16th May 2009, 19:35     #2528
Delphinus

Heh yeah, I like the "feeling" from a real piano.

You should post up some of the stuff you've done. Or email it to me if you prefer (in profile). I'm interested in whats possible with a keyboard.
Old 17th May 2009, 00:40     #2529
Trigger
Laserman

I like the "feeling" from your mum's ovaries
Old 17th May 2009, 09:00     #2530
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger
I like the "feeling" from your mum's ovaries
Dude, that makes no sense at all unless you have a colposcope for a dick.
Old 17th May 2009, 09:37     #2531
Ezekiel 25:17

It makes Street Sense!
Old 17th May 2009, 10:05     #2532
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

GMG - getting no sleep due to the storm going thru Wellytown at the moment, but OMG waking up to find the house still in one piece, unlike what I expected based on the noise last night.....
Old 17th May 2009, 11:18     #2533
[Malks] Pixie

So apparently Australians get some sort of stimulus payment from the government... My sister is living in Melbourne and mum came round yesterday and showed me a text from her - she'd got like $900 so she split it three ways with me and mum (she's earning pretty well). Thanks Em's, and thanks Mr Rudd!

Pixie
Old 17th May 2009, 16:53     #2534
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
After 8 years of never touching a piano I've finally made time to borrow a friends keyboard, familiarised myself with the keys, taught myself to read music again (go the internets!), and am picking up all the pieces I used to enjoy playing back when I was taking lessons! It feels really good!
Now to find myself a piano without spending too much... (And then just have to work out how to get it into the house - perched on the side of a Dunedin hill.
Honest question, but how do you forget how to read music? I pretty much stopped playing the piano when I turned 18, and only at 26 have I started playing again (my aunt has loaned me her piano indefinitely), and it's amazing how I haven't had to re-learn anything. It's just as if those 8 years never occurred. Maybe I had slightly more aptitude for the piano than I gave myself credit for?

And a piece of advice - once you find yourself a real piano, pay good money and get professional piano movers to deliver it to you. My aunt paid some cheap ass movers who cracked the glass on my ranch slider trying to get the damned thing into the house and then refused to take responsibility (I was on the phone to my insurance company before they'd even left my driveway, suck it).
Old 17th May 2009, 18:23     #2535
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
So apparently Australians get some sort of stimulus payment from the government... My sister is living in Melbourne and mum came round yesterday and showed me a text from her - she'd got like $900 so she split it three ways with me and mum (she's earning pretty well). Thanks Em's, and thanks Mr Rudd!

Pixie
What? This didn't pique your interest?

Little Bro got a trip back (and a large quantity of ale) for my Mum's 60th on Jimmy Aussie.
Old 17th May 2009, 20:03     #2536
Fx.

if only i'd moved to AU like 3months earlier and filed a tax return i woulda got that
Old 17th May 2009, 22:16     #2537
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
Honest question, but how do you forget how to read music? I pretty much stopped playing the piano when I turned 18, and only at 26 have I started playing again
Yeah I was thinking that myself, but it was a complete mental blank. I didn't even know which key was a C! Definitely couldn't read the staff.
But after a few hours messing round with some tutorials etc its all coming back very quickly, far faster than if I were learning it from nothing. Playing basic versions of Fur Elise etc.
I stopped when I was about 14-15 and *never* touched a piano or read any music in that time till today.
Did you go completely cold turkey? Or doodle round with a piano every now and then?
I'd be curious to hear other peoples experiences.
Quote:
And a piece of advice - once you find yourself a real piano, pay good money and get professional piano movers to deliver it to you.
Good to know, is it true that if you tilt them too far they loose their tune?
Mind you the budget I've allowed myself at the moment they will all need re-tuning anyway. The pianos at local music shop all start round the $2000 mark, and thats more than I have lying round at the moment.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:39     #2538
Delphinus

chiquelet - Are you good at maths and roughly what grade music were you playing?
Old 18th May 2009, 08:58     #2539
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
What? This didn't pique your interest?
Sorry but what connection is there in regards to our tax cuts and my sisters generosity?

Pixie
Old 18th May 2009, 14:18     #2540
Cyberbob

What OMG: A leak of a game that is at least a month away from release that will keep me... i mean my missus happy for weeks.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:30     #2541
dead goon

Given 2 bottles of wine and some chocolate for setting up an iMac for a doctor at work.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:52     #2542
Trigger
Laserman

so that's about $25 in payment then?
Old 18th May 2009, 14:53     #2543
dead goon

fail
Old 18th May 2009, 14:54     #2544
Helious

or nothing

doctors get given shit all the time

he simply regifted
Old 18th May 2009, 14:55     #2545
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger
so that's about $25 in payment then?
Obviously you drink some high-quality wine, Trigger.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:07     #2546
Trigger
Laserman

Jacob's Creek 4 lyfe
Old 18th May 2009, 15:10     #2547
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
What OMG: A leak of a game that is at least a month away from release that will keep me... i mean my missus happy for weeks.
Oh, closet Sims fan are we?
Old 18th May 2009, 15:18     #2548
Kryten

Last weekend I introduced my 2 1/2 year old to Star Wars by having him "help" me put together a cheapie kitset model of Darth Vader's TIE fighter. He was temporarily able to grasp the idea that Darth Vader is a baddie (he's 2 1/2, deal with it) and now knows that Dad can make a pretty cool spaceship noise and "pew pew" sounds. Oh, and that plastic sprue is kinda fun to play with.

At this point, I have to admit that I'm not so concerned about the (many years away) talk about the birds and the bees - it's the time he comes home and asks me about Jar Jar Binks that has me REALLY worried.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:19     #2549
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
At this point, I have to admit that I'm not so concerned about the (many years away) talk about the birds and the bees - it's the time he comes home and asks me about Luke kissing his sister that has me REALLY worried.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:24     #2550
Kryten

Ha - I'd still rather have that conversation than be forced into acknowledging Jar Jar. But, what can you do? - eventually, he'll go to some other kids house and that kid's parents won't care as much, they'll have some Jar Jar and then I'll be forced to explain that there actually WERE an Episode I, II and III........
Old 18th May 2009, 15:27     #2551
Pleb'a

95% on "Van Halen - Hot for Teacher" on hard, fuck doing expert in my lifetime...
Old 18th May 2009, 15:39     #2552
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Ha - I'd still rather have that conversation than be forced into acknowledging Jar Jar. But, what can you do? - eventually, he'll go to some other kids house and that kid's parents won't care as much, they'll have some Jar Jar and then I'll be forced to explain that there actually WERE an Episode I, II and III........
I had my 4&6 yr old nephews over on the weekend and I sat them down in front of Lego Star Wars for the XBox. New game so they had to start in Episode 1.. They were very confused by the whole Qui-gon and young Obi-Wonn thing so they quickly decided that they weren't on some trade federation ship, they were actually in Jabba the Hutt's palace and they were looking for Darth Vader; which meant every door they opened they had to ask "Is Darth Vader behind this one?"..

Well done to their parents I say, introducing them to Star Wars while completely neglecting any mention of Episodes 1-3.

Luckily they weren't around long enough to get off the ship and meet Jar Jar
Old 18th May 2009, 15:51     #2553
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
chiquelet - Are you good at maths and roughly what grade music were you playing?
I suck at maths, and I'm not exagerrating. I was playing to grade 8 when I stopped. In the interim 6 years I doodled around a couple of times, maybe 5, and that's being generous. It was just like riding a bike, or a horse, you don't forget (for me at least).

Re tilting the piano and tuning. A piano should be tuned every 6 months, but it HAS to be tuned once it has been moved. In saying that, I haven't had mine tuned because I haven't had the spare cash (well I have, but it got spent on Lego *glares at spouse*), and it sounds pretty close to perfect pitch/tune. I will get it tuned when I have a spare $150 though.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:56     #2554
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
there actually WERE an Episode I, II and III........
Umm no there wasn't.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:59     #2555
Delphinus

Quote:
I suck at maths, and I'm not exagerrating. I was playing to grade 8 when I stopped.
So you're able to pick up and play grade 8 stuff now without any trouble? Thats quite impressive!

I was playing grade 6... ish stuff? I'm not sure actually, never did gradings.
Old 18th May 2009, 16:01     #2556
Delphinus

What were some of your favourite high-end pieces?
Old 18th May 2009, 16:38     #2557
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Hah, to be fair I haven't even touched my "difficult" music. I just sat down with some easy-ish stuff initially and surprised myself by being able to play it without difficulty, so now I'm just working on Fur Elise also (actually learning the entire Bagatelle, not just the bit that everybody knows).

Favourite stuff? One of the Three Sea Changes by Douglas Lilburn (beautiful but fun to play, can't remember which one though), Gymnopedie No.5 by Eric Satie, everybody's favourite Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, the Zwolf Variationen by Mozart.

I LOVE jazz music, but my teacher didn't, so I never learnt anything but baby jazz. If you've got any recommendations (or Jonas, for that matter, isn't he a jazz pianist?) then I'm all ears.
Old 18th May 2009, 16:57     #2558
Delphinus

Quote:
I LOVE jazz music, but my teacher didn't, so I never learnt anything but baby jazz. If you've got any recommendations (or Jonas, for that matter, isn't he a jazz pianist?) then I'm all ears.
Same and same... I've never really played any either, but want to this time round. Also open to suggestions here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8sGdqCSg30
Old 18th May 2009, 18:28     #2559
chiQ
Frag-muff

Seeing whatever the hell the new KITT is idling in the street OMG. I was pleasantly surprised at how cool it is. It's brutally designed, like all US muscle cars, but it's very hot, and sounds like complete sex
Old 18th May 2009, 18:32     #2560
Helious

Cunning linguist

you wouldn't know what sex sounds like!