NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 28th January 2014, 15:40     #2401
Lightspeed

Pretty chuffed about how the election battle grounds are starting off. Looks like both major parties are going to be vying to show they have the best policies for the kidz.
Old 28th January 2014, 17:04     #2402
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Pretty chuffed about how the election battle grounds are starting off. Looks like both major parties are going to be vying to show they have the best policies for the kidz.
Disagree. National's education policy is about the education of children, Labour's welfare policy is about the income of parents of babies.
Old 28th January 2014, 17:18     #2403
Lightspeed

Are you waiting for science to prove a direct connection between parents and babies?
Old 28th January 2014, 18:43     #2404
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Are you waiting for science to prove a direct connection between parents and babies?
I lol'ed
Old 28th January 2014, 18:58     #2405
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Disagree. National's education policy is about the education of children, Labour's welfare policy is about the income of parents of babies.
Or you could flip the cynicism and say 'National's education policy is about the income of teachers of children, Labour's welfare policy is about the well being of children.
Old 28th January 2014, 20:40     #2406
crocos

Then there's always:
National's education policy is about providing alcohol for the of teachers of children, Labour's welfare policy is about providing alcohol for the parents of children.

Always assume the worst when dealing with the masses and you'll rarely be disappointed.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 30th January 2014, 12:57     #2407
xor

Tony Ryall is doing the rounds at work this morning. Had to clean up my work bench which was a fucking pigsty.

He's a GC
Old 30th January 2014, 13:14     #2408
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Or you could flip the cynicism and say 'National's education policy is about the income of teachers of children, Labour's welfare policy is about the well being of children.
Labour's policy is to give money to parents of babies. What the parents choose to do with the money is not part of the policy.
Old 30th January 2014, 13:48     #2409
pxpx

Nationals policy is to encourage more people to be teachers (due to improved pay).

Labours policy is to encourage more people to.. oh.
Old 30th January 2014, 13:55     #2410
Lightspeed

To what? You clearly weren't going to say to have babies, because no one has babies for a $60 a week payout.
Old 30th January 2014, 15:38     #2411
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Labour's policy is to give money to parents of babies. What the parents choose to do with the money is not part of the policy.
Why would it be?
Old 30th January 2014, 15:58     #2412
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Of course, if you told parents that the money could only be spent on baby stuff - like, giving them $60 of vouchers for nappies and soap and tissues and shit instead of cash - then it wouldn't be a very useful vote-generator, would it?
Old 30th January 2014, 16:10     #2413
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Of course, if you told parents that the money could only be spent on baby stuff - like, giving them $60 of vouchers for nappies and soap and tissues and shit instead of cash - then it wouldn't be a very useful vote-generator, would it?
Of course it wouldn't. The condescending nanny state crap generally isn't.
Old 31st January 2014, 13:27     #2414
CCS
Stunt Pants

Metiria Turei is a sensitive wee sausage

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...-clothes-joust

http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2014/01/pl...d-mark-coward/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...-clothes-fight

Quote:
Anne Tolley made a speech yesterday that contained these few words:

“I’m actually insulted to be lectured about how out of touch I am with average New Zealand by a list MP who has no constituents, lives in a castle and comes to the House in $2000 designer jackets and tells me I’m out of touch,”
Quote:
Green Party co-leader Metiria Turei is accusing National Party MPs of “pure racism” after comments in Parliament about her home and clothing.
Asked about Tolley’s comments, Turei said racism was behind the attack.

“I’m shocked that the National Party would attack me and my home and my appearance. I think it is a racist attack,” she said.
FFS. Turei playing the race card is like Chris Carter playing the gay card. Race has nothing to do with it. Turei is being pathetic. It's parliament for shits sake. Jibes and barbs are part and parcel and Turei needs to harden the fuck up.

If I said Turei is a mewling cunt, am I being racist?
Old 31st January 2014, 13:31     #2415
Savage

Waiting for Hone to weigh in on this one! :P
Old 31st January 2014, 18:16     #2416
BoyWonder

I'm so glad we got to hear what Judith Collins thinks about it all...
Old 31st January 2014, 19:12     #2417
[Malks] Pixie

Most rational post I've seen about the entire thing...

http://mauistreet.blogspot.co.nz/201...nd-racism.html

Pixie
Old 31st January 2014, 19:16     #2418
fixed_truth

Morgan Godfery's take on it:

-Anne Tolley wears expensive clothing and lives in an expensive house.
-Anne Tolley is in touch with average New Zealand.

-Metiria Turei wears expensive clothing and lives in an expensive house.
-Metiria Turei is not in touch with average New Zealand . . . why? because she wears expensive clothing and lives in an expensive house.

From that it's implied that for Metiria Turei to be in touch with average New Zealand she has to be poor like other Maori.

http://mauistreet.blogspot.co.nz/201...nd-racism.html

edit: damn you pixie!

Last edited by fixed_truth : 31st January 2014 at 19:17.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:24     #2419
Spink

She's so articulate though
Old 31st January 2014, 21:40     #2420
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

My response to Turei: Boo fucking hoo, harden up princess. You're in Parliament.

If I had a penny for every time the Opposition had criticised John Key's choice in suits or where he lives I'd have £5.63.

You know I'm just glad that Metirei Turei is able to afford $2000 jackets after complaining that the fascist pig bank wouldn't give her a 100% mortgage. You know, because saving is impossible during five years on a $160,000+ Parliamentary salary.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11132060
Old 1st February 2014, 13:35     #2421
CCS
Stunt Pants

Now Turei is calling Judith Collins racist. Here is Collins and her husband, Browny McBrownman.

But actually she's racist, so I think it's just that she's keeping her enemies close.

Turei was interviewed by Duncan Garner and she had a sook about the level of 'personal vitriol' directed at her. Does she think she's the only person in parliament to experience personal vitriol?
Old 1st February 2014, 13:56     #2422
Lightspeed

I personally don't feel comfortable as a member of the dominant culture telling a minority what is or isn't racism. Certainly today we've learnt CCS doesn't get racism if he thinks "but my best friend is brown" gets you off the hook.

However if I was Turei, I think "pathetic" would have accurately described our supposed leaders' behaviour.
Old 1st February 2014, 15:34     #2423
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If it's coded racist signals you're looking for, keep a tally of how many times John Key is described as a rich banker.

wink wink
Old 1st February 2014, 20:29     #2424
Lightspeed

Yeah, it doesn't really work that way though, does it? It's pretty hard to oppress those in the position of power (i.e. white male.)
Old 1st February 2014, 21:07     #2425
fixed_truth

Claiming Collins isn't being racist towards Turei because Collins has a partner with brown skin is up there with the most stupid shit I've seen on nzgames.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 1st February 2014 at 21:11.
Old 1st February 2014, 21:43     #2426
CCS
Stunt Pants

Why's that?
Old 1st February 2014, 22:40     #2427
fixed_truth

Because it doesn't make sense to believe that having a brown husband means that you can't view other brown people as differently to your spouse i.e., can't have some kind of racial bias which is triggered in certain contexts.

Following that line of thinking the only people capable of being sexist would be gay men.

edit: I haven't read what Collins said in this instance so don't know if she's being racist. But what she said is what she should be judged on, not on husbands skin colour.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 1st February 2014 at 22:45.
Old 1st February 2014, 23:01     #2428
CCS
Stunt Pants

If she doesn't like brown people, why would she marry one?
Old 1st February 2014, 23:02     #2429
[Malks] Pixie

Can't be arsed writing something myself so I'll simply plagiarise* someone else.

Quote:
Having a friend (or spouse) who belongs to a demographic that one hates isn't incompatible with a prejudice against that demographic - and this is the key to the fallacy. A prejudice, is by its etymology a "pre-judgement" of someone, based on more general information that may not necessarily apply to an individual.
Pixie

* Though I'll note that it's not actually plagiarism as I've identified that I'm using another's words (though I can't be bothered citing it)

Last edited by [Malks] Pixie : 1st February 2014 at 23:03.
Old 1st February 2014, 23:12     #2430
CCS
Stunt Pants

So Judith Collins is a racist then?
Old 1st February 2014, 23:13     #2431
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
If she doesn't like brown people, why would she marry one?
Having racial biases doesn't require that you don't like brown people. Just that that these racial biases are triggered in certain contexts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
The point is whether she is or not has nothing to do with her husbands skin colour.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 1st February 2014 at 23:16.
Old 1st February 2014, 23:17     #2432
CCS
Stunt Pants

So she's not a racist?
Old 1st February 2014, 23:26     #2433
fixed_truth

You'll have to check with Cameron on that one. He's a highly respected and knowledgeable guy so shouldn't make you look stupid and then have to trollolol out the back door or anything.
Old 1st February 2014, 23:36     #2434
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm asking you.
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:02     #2435
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
We're all racist. But only some of us are in a position to use our racism to oppress others.
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:23     #2436
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
If it's coded racist signals you're looking for, keep a tally of how many times John Key is described as a rich banker.

wink wink
Almost a Godwin?
Old 2nd February 2014, 11:21     #2437
aR Que

Heh, it's a mind fuck.

Was down in the south, and got talking to this Maori fullah, who had left the north. His whenua was the classic.

didn't know what to say when he said;
'they treat me real well here, aye?'
but they all refereed to him as, Jeff the-maori.

Think he was glad to see someone from the north, got a hongi and everything.

/story.
Old 2nd February 2014, 11:21     #2438
aR Que

dammit
Old 2nd February 2014, 13:55     #2439
Lightspeed

Hahah, that's so tragicomic. My friend works for the head office of a major retailer in NZ, in Auckland. Same thing goes there, the one Maori guy gets the ole "the-Maori" experience.
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:16     #2440
CCS
Stunt Pants

NZ First could hold balance of power - poll

Oh good, NZF to hold the country to ransom again.