NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 14th September 2008, 16:17     #201
blur^

i was pretty wasted at the time...who was it that made the last tackle and turnover so weepu could run in ninja it and kick it out?
Old 14th September 2008, 16:47     #202
fixed_truth

great game to watch imo. we were the better team on the night. i reckon that aussie could have taken the game a few times - eg when giteau did that stupid behind the head pass & when palu dropped the ball with numbers. the last few minutes were epic! deans substitution tactics made no sense to me?

im sure even after this game there'll still be some henry haters though
Old 14th September 2008, 16:49     #203
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
im sure even after this game there'll still be some henry haters though
Do you think the AB's would be better or worse than they are now with Deans?
Old 14th September 2008, 16:52     #204
Phrack

Nonu didn't play well last night, but he's a different game style than whats hot at the moment, and when a team has about 30% possession, a running back isn't going to be much use. Everything is based off kicking it seems but I'd like to see us get a decent scrum going and make use of all these free kicks. The way I see it is if Nonu crashes up at 2nd 5, he will draw the 2nd 5/centre in. If we can get the support there quick enough it leaves us with a centre/fullback/wing combo out wide. Thing is Nonu never seems to have support. I enjoy running rugby, hence why I like Nonu.

I don't think Nonu will get dropped completely. Maybe to the bench and come on as an impact player to run at a tired defense, which may suit him a lot more. I saw a few times Donald run the ball when he should have passed, but nobody complains about that.

I love it how Carter gets credit for running through Cross instead of passing to the man to score out wide. But Nonu would have been criticised. It may seem that all I talk about is Nonu, but it's one thing that annoys me is when people don't like a player, all they do is look at how bad they played, and the players they love its all well done and she'll be right.

Thought Kaino made some great tackles and turnovers. Thought after a couple of early mistakes he was going to have a bad night but certainly picked up his game. I think the forwards saved themselves for a big finish, which is certainly better than going hardout and crumbling at the end, like the aussies did.
Old 14th September 2008, 17:12     #205
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
I think there would be no difference at this stage. Maybe next season, but most likely the season after that will be where the real Henry Vs Deans battle begins
Old 14th September 2008, 17:20     #206
fixed_truth

Quote:
i think that they would be much the same. my point is that deans is not some sort of "supercoach" far superior to henry
Old 14th September 2008, 19:07     #207
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable
Weepu was a great sub. Perfect impact role for him i reckon. Nice and early after a steadier starter in cowan.
Yeah pivotal imo. Perfect time and while Cowan was good, I felt Weepu made better choices which gave them better space and allowed them to make more ground.

Good to see them fight back too. Turned a bit of a corner in that regard but there's still a few players there that prevent this team from making things more secure. Last few mins were terrible. I mean slowing it down 3mins out in the middle of the field was lame to my mind and always prone to a turnover. Never give those dirty Aussies an opportunity!

Plus those rambling about Deans were scared and you know it Props to Henry but Deans would have carved a non-Deans lead Aussie team, now and till the RWC!
Old 14th September 2008, 19:20     #208
Haydos

I think Dean's would utilise our backs a lot more than they're being utilised, take a look at the way he has his Wallaby backs working when they're on song.

It just irks me a little that we have without doubt, the best players in the world in pretty much every position yet never dominate teams like we were in say the John Hart era.
Old 14th September 2008, 20:02     #209
blynk

Quote:
I think Dean's would utilise our backs a lot more than they're being utilised, take a look at the way he has his Wallaby backs working when they're on song.
Thats because their forward pack is useless.

Also, did you see how Nonu did the last pass in the first try?
Old 14th September 2008, 21:04     #210
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hell yes, I was sitting in a group of Kiwis last night and after that try I said "hands up whose heart was in his mouth when the ball got to Nonu" and every one of us put his hand up. Couldn't believe he passed it.
Old 14th September 2008, 21:23     #211
xor

Matt Giteau had a shocker. I thought the ab's were awesome. They all performed well.

I don't know why everyone is giving Sitiveni Sivivatu grief. He was monstering the aussies with some pretty big tackles, he ran from the back and he set up a try out of nothing.
GEFE!
Old 14th September 2008, 21:41     #212
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Also, did you see how Nonu did the last pass in the first try?
Yeah, about the only thing he did right in the entire game, was a decent pass, pity more often than not he cocks that situation up.
Old 15th September 2008, 01:22     #213
ipee

Quote:
Yeah, also take a look at how Dean's defensive patterns are not working with the Wallabies. Dean's Wallabies are fast becoming one of the worse defensive sides in Wallabies history!

Quote:
It just irks me a little that we have without doubt, the best players in the world in pretty much every position yet never dominate teams like we were in say the John Hart era.
This comment just officially proves you know fuck all about rugby. There are only 3 positions where we have "without doubt" the best players in the world. Those players would be McCaw, Carter and Woodcock. Others like Williams, Muliaina, So'oialo, Sitivatu are just borderline. Everybody else?..........definitely not "without doubt" the best in their positions.

Pretty ridiculous to also compare this side with John Hart's AB's. Half the current squad are new whereas the JH team had some of the greatest players to ever play the game! eg. Fitzpatrick, Z.Brooke, M.Jones, Kronfield, Wilson, Cullen and Lomu to name a few.

Last edited by ipee : 15th September 2008 at 01:23.
Old 15th September 2008, 08:51     #214
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Hell yes, I was sitting in a group of Kiwis last night and after that try I said "hands up whose heart was in his mouth when the ball got to Nonu" and every one of us put his hand up. Couldn't believe he passed it.
1st Try Scorer Nonu $12 - Why did you pass you clown! :P
Old 15th September 2008, 12:18     #215
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

GG Buckies for picking New Zealand Tri Nations Champs when they were on their losing streak, $125 return for $50 @ 2.50 was it?
Old 15th September 2008, 14:33     #216
Ard Righ

On the back of the last few games with Sivivatu, I think it's time for Hosea Gear to get a call up with Rocket Man to make the starting wings.
Old 15th September 2008, 15:16     #217
buckies

It was at $2.80 in the end. I really feel for the dude who supposedly put 100K on the ABs H2H, after such a rollercoaster of a match.

The real kudos should go to anyone who hit the Warriors at $5.50/$5.75.

Hosea has had a damn fine NPC. He should definitely get the call up for the UK tour, and an extended offer if he performs there. I still think Tuitivake has the X-factor.
Old 15th September 2008, 16:17     #218
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I'm not so sure. Is that what the All Blacks really need, ANOTHER Finisher? Players like Hosea Gear are all well and good when things are going well but how does he perform when the going is really tough and his team needs to grind it out to get a win?

I did not have the stones to put money on the Warriors, I wasn't even 100% confident with the +19.5 point start! LOL!
Old 15th September 2008, 20:02     #219
Russian

muh

Quote:
Just posting to say that this is the lamest troll ever.

Unless you're a Cantab, in which case you are fucking retarded.
Old 16th September 2008, 13:50     #220
buckies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian
Just posting to say that this is the lamest troll ever.

Unless you're a Cantab, in which case you are fucking retarded.
I think Haydos' post is valid. Personally, based on what I've witnessed this Tri-Nations, I would say that Deans is the better coach than Henry. When you look at the different levels in skill on paper between Aus and NZ, NZ should win most encounters in a canter. Deans convincingly beat us once and drew us down to the wire in the weekend. Hats off to him.
Old 16th September 2008, 14:39     #221
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckies
Personally, based on what I've witnessed this Tri-Nations, I would say that Deans is the better coach than Henry. When you look at the different levels in skill on paper between Aus and NZ, NZ should win most encounters in a canter. Deans convincingly beat us once and drew us down to the wire in the weekend. Hats off to him.
What worries me is next year, and after that. I would guess that apart from the SA thrashing, they'd be reasonably happy with the way things are heading.
Old 16th September 2008, 15:01     #222
Helious

Deans looks like a crackhead.
Old 16th September 2008, 15:11     #223
Haydos

Dean's with 50% the resource of the AB's got 80% the result.

I just don't like the way our outside backs have all seemingly faded in recent years, they're being starved of the ball and they're losing the potency they used to have.

We seem to keep a very flat backline without much stagger, very few audible moves like Larkham and Gregan used to pull which put their team onto attack and seem to be relying too much on beating a tackle and passing - rather than running lines and using the ball to beat the man.
Old 16th September 2008, 17:35     #224
Ard Righ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
I'm not so sure. Is that what the All Blacks really need, ANOTHER Finisher? Players like Hosea Gear are all well and good when things are going well but how does he perform when the going is really tough and his team needs to grind it out to get a win?
Hosea Gear has played great in the last few seasons, to the point where I think he has been the more consistent of the wingers in the country.

The All Blacks coaches have failed miserably in all their attempts at using 2nd-rate cast-offs in the All Black wing spot. They should stick to using people who have proven their skill and worth in the position.

I rate Rocket Man to make a good come-back because he has done it before. Sivivatu played like Lauaki did.

And as for Hosea Gear not having been put under the pump, he played for the Hurricanes and the Lions. He's been in his fair share of battles.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:05     #225
ipee

Deans basically got his ass handed to him by Henry this year. Deans defence was a shocker, needs to go back to the drawing board.

Can't really see the Wallabies beating the AB's next year either, or even the year after while McCaw and Carter are still in the side.
Old 17th September 2008, 18:31     #226
blynk

It will be interesting to see how Oz go in their Northern Hemisphere tour. Does anyone know who they are playing.
Old 17th September 2008, 18:42     #227
JP

I don't really see how you can say Deans got 80% of the result, when we won the Bledisloe and the Tri nations. And he won nothing.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:13     #228
Haydos

He beat South Africa at home and gave us two stiff challenges, despite the team he had.

4 points difference between us or Australia.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:43     #229
Helious

Wink

Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:47     #230
Haydos

Oh, don't get what I'm saying wrong, Australia still lost.

But you've got to say Henry had more resource, depth in key positions and experience in vital positions than Deans did.

I thought for his first year, achieving the first win in South Africa was huge. They're an improving team with him in control.
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:00     #231
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Righ
Hosea Gear has played great in the last few seasons, to the point where I think he has been the more consistent of the wingers in the country.

The All Blacks coaches have failed miserably in all their attempts at using 2nd-rate cast-offs in the All Black wing spot. They should stick to using people who have proven their skill and worth in the position.

I rate Rocket Man to make a good come-back because he has done it before. Sivivatu played like Lauaki did.

And as for Hosea Gear not having been put under the pump, he played for the Hurricanes and the Lions. He's been in his fair share of battles.
Oh piss off, he's the most over rated player in NZ at the moment. Were you even watching him against Auckland? Proof that he's hopeless when he actually has to run into players rather than just running down the side line to score a try when everyone else has done the hard work. I lost count of how many handling errors he made and how many times the ball was stolen off him. He is average at best. You can't tell me that faced with the same opportunities he's been offered this year that players like Masaga and Tuitivake wouldn't have scored just as many tries if not more. Over Rated ++ and I'm sure the AB's coaches will realise how one dimensional he is and he will not be selected this year or next year.
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:07     #232
badassmofo

lolrant
Old 2nd November 2008, 01:46     #233
Heresy
yawn.

To utilise an over-used cliche, that was definitely a game of two halves. The first 25 mins of the second half clinched it for us.

I think the Donald/Carter combo could possibly work, they just need more opportunity to work together, which is what the end of year tour will provide.

Fingers crossed for England to lose the following:

- the 20/20 vs the Stanford Superstars -it's not like they need the money
- all four of their upcoming rugby tests (vs Pacific Islands, SA, AU and NZ)
- their remaining games in the Rugby League World Cup
Old 2nd November 2008, 10:18     #234
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling Mortlock at end of the game
I think all 15 from both sides were sucking some big ones tonight
They should save that sort of thing for the after match function (comments from the super coach)
Old 2nd November 2008, 11:00     #235
Helious

So Deans has won 1 out of 5 eh? or is it 1 out of 4 encounters with the AB's ?

Henry's getting it done.
Old 2nd November 2008, 14:14     #236
fixed_truth

I thought Gear was way out of his league
Old 2nd November 2008, 14:39     #237
_Incubus_

Toeava is one player I'm very happy to see have a brilliant night. He has promised so much in the last couple of seasons. Its great to see him get his game nerves sorted out and have a great game.
Old 2nd November 2008, 14:46     #238
Juju
get to da choppa

Did anyone else think the ref was in the wrong position a hell of a lot? It seems a lot of players hesitated or had to make a quick decision because of the ref being in the way.

And my god, how many forward passes did he miss?
Old 2nd November 2008, 22:37     #239
Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I thought Gear was way out of his league
Give the man a break, it was his debut.