Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 9th July 2010, 17:15     #23441
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
I'm having some eye strain and migraines behind my eyes intermittently lately, a friend said spending so much time in front of a computer it's no wonder, and that I should check out getting some glasses suited for me.

Anyone know how I go about this? I have 20/20 vision but it seems having glasses could put less strain on the ol' eyeballs when spending time in front of the computer at work. I don't even know where to start though, do I just rock up to a glasses shop or what?
  • Make sure you're hydrated.
  • Make sure there are no large contrast differences between your screen and its surrounds (eg, screen on in a dark room, or having a north facing window behind the monitor, etcetc)
  • Make sure there are no light reflections on your monitor (eg sun, ceiling lighting)
  • Stand up at least every hour, maybe visit a colleague and chat about something. Microbreaks FTW.
  • When you stand up, stretch. If cats and babies do it, must be a reason for it.
  • Growl when stretching, stretching is mutherfucking WIN!
  • Make sure that the screens are perpendicular to your line of sight.
  • Make sure the screen is clean of fingerprints and gunk.
  • Avoid "colours on blue" in your desktop colour scheme. Try to avoid blue in general if you can (chromatic aberration can cause eye strain in some people)
  • Tape over any blue LEDs. Kill the fuckers. I HATE THEM.
  • Kill any flickering florescent lights in the office. You ain't on the Phoebes Mars complex.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:16     #23442
Reformed_Quint

My advice would be to not see one.

Mummy spent a lot of money sending me to optometrists as a wee lad, they'd sell her new glasses every time saying that it'd fix my eyes, never did and I eventually gave up (they always caused me massive headaches). Fast forward: While in the forces I was sent for an eye exam (funny story to that) and was told by the optometrist there that I was practically blind in one eye and glasses would make such a minimal difference as to be a waste of time and money.

Moral of the story: Optometrists make money by selling you glasses, they are also useless pricks.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:30     #23443
mpx

Well I don't *want* anything. I just wanted to see someone who might be able to say if I did need something or not. Just wasn't sure who to see, never worried about my eyes much!
Old 9th July 2010, 17:34     #23444
mpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
  • Make sure you're hydrated.
  • Make sure there are no large contrast differences between your screen and its surrounds (eg, screen on in a dark room, or having a north facing window behind the monitor, etcetc)
  • Make sure there are no light reflections on your monitor (eg sun, ceiling lighting)
  • Stand up at least every hour, maybe visit a colleague and chat about something. Microbreaks FTW.
  • When you stand up, stretch. If cats and babies do it, must be a reason for it.
  • Growl when stretching, stretching is mutherfucking WIN!
  • Make sure that the screens are perpendicular to your line of sight.
  • Make sure the screen is clean of fingerprints and gunk.
  • Avoid "colours on blue" in your desktop colour scheme. Try to avoid blue in general if you can (chromatic aberration can cause eye strain in some people)
  • Tape over any blue LEDs. Kill the fuckers. I HATE THEM.
  • Kill any flickering florescent lights in the office. You ain't on the Phoebes Mars complex.

Nice list! I use Word a bit and that background is blue, maybe I should change it to one of its many other colours (every colour as long as it's grey!).

As for everything else, I work for the Ministry of Justice - they're extremely anal about OSH, so I do all the other stuff. Stretching is one of life's great treasures.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:35     #23445
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Moral of the story: Optometrists make money by selling you glasses, they are also useless pricks.
That depends on the optometrist.

mpx: See an optometrist in an old-fashioned, ordinary practice. Don't see someone in one of the cheapo chains, such as Spec Savers or OPSM. They push their staff to shunt through as many patients a day as they can and they're all about the bottom line. Standards as low as a result, and the optometrists are employees, rather than practice partners, which means their own professional reputations are not on the line.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:41     #23446
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx

As for everything else, I work for the Ministry of Justice - they're extremely anal about OSH, so I do all the other stuff. Stretching is one of life's great treasures.
check their eye-check policy - we have one that would pay for the checkup and contribute a fair way towards the cost of glasses if needed and you guys have more money than us!
Old 9th July 2010, 17:42     #23447
ZoSo

Quote:
[*]Tape over any blue LEDs. Kill the fuckers. I HATE THEM.
Yeah that's GMG thread material right there. Instantly gets the insulation tape treatment.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:15     #23448
CCS
Stunt Pants

Badly burnt teen fighting for his life

Lol, school holidays, eh.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:29     #23449
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Rumour has it that the sky is falling - is Wellington Ok?
OK, but fucken cold.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 9th July 2010, 18:36     #23450
mpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
check their eye-check policy - we have one that would pay for the checkup and contribute a fair way towards the cost of glasses if needed and you guys have more money than us!
Ohh, good idea I'll have a talk on Monday about that. If they have money they sure aren't showing it! Haha.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:40     #23451
Cyberbob

Quote:
Phoebes Mars complex.

or

Old 9th July 2010, 21:51     #23452
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
Nice list! I use Word a bit and that background is blue, maybe I should change it to one of its many other colours (every colour as long as it's grey!).

lol I spent ages last night trying to work out how to get windows to go greyscale - apparently only macs and old ATI drivers can do it :<
Old 9th July 2010, 22:04     #23453
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
the moonbase in doom was 'phobos' not 'phoebes'.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:05     #23454
pkp|ex

Whey protien makes for smelly gas.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:39     #23455
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
....yes?
Old 10th July 2010, 00:02     #23456
devilmonkey

...... australian chick on the beach LINK I saw this and thought of all you's
Old 10th July 2010, 00:26     #23457
?>Superman

Quote:
No shit sherlock.
Old 10th July 2010, 01:03     #23458
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmonkey
...... australian chick on the beach LINK I saw this and thought of all you's
huh?
Old 10th July 2010, 01:41     #23459
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Why yes, I did just delete 19,000 users. Nicely spotted.
Old 10th July 2010, 01:55     #23460
TnT

Quote:
Old 10th July 2010, 06:33     #23461
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
OK, but fucken cold.
Oh tell me about it - I just got up to clear some work email and I think I'll go and light the fire so that when I do get up for real it will be bearable. Hmm - both weather stations indicate an outside reading of 3° but I suspect that will drop very soon.
Old 10th July 2010, 09:55     #23462
leadinjector

Quote:
Old 10th July 2010, 10:38     #23463
p01s0n

There you have it folks. A posting force so strong, it can only be owned by itself.

Also boogie nights is a pretty lol film.
Old 10th July 2010, 11:12     #23464
lektronimo

TV 2 is turned on right now, and on it are some brown guys who think they're black.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:56     #23465
herp

So Mel Gibsons rant about his ex getting raped by a pack of niggers was recorded. How great is this?

http://gawker.com/5583622/mel-gibson...-is-now-online
Old 10th July 2010, 13:18     #23466
dylan
Huh?

ouch!
Old 10th July 2010, 13:33     #23467
Nich

wow. I guess that's the final nail right there.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:36     #23468
ZoSo

If he makes another religious movie, he'll be fine.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:49     #23469
Nich

i would enjoy it if he was involved in another Mad Max. If he brings some of his IRL crazy + some brutality from Passion. Could be a real doomsday hit at the boxoffice
Old 10th July 2010, 13:51     #23470
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

lol catholics
Old 10th July 2010, 14:39     #23471
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
i would enjoy it if he was involved in another Mad Max. If he brings some of his IRL crazy + some brutality from Passion. Could be a real doomsday hit at the boxoffice
Who's this Tom Hardy chap anyway? I see Weta are tooling up for the effects.
Old 10th July 2010, 15:15     #23472
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
So Mel Gibsons rant about his ex getting raped by a pack of niggers was recorded. How great is this?

http://gawker.com/5583622/mel-gibson...-is-now-online
that is so fucking awesome

ROAD WARRIOR YEAH!
Old 10th July 2010, 15:52     #23473
CCS
Stunt Pants

IRL crazy FTW. He needs to do a Tarantino movie where he's just an obnoxious foul-mouthed cunt but in a cool Tarantino way. Then instead of doing these lame roles where he's always the good guy, he can mark out a whole new career for himself.
Old 10th July 2010, 15:56     #23474
xor

Mel Gibson is my idol
Old 10th July 2010, 16:08     #23475
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Hilarious. He is crazy. In a good way.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:23     #23476
zeekiorage

Talking

Did Gibson say "I don't want you" or "I don't want jew"?
Old 10th July 2010, 16:44     #23477
CCS
Stunt Pants

I think he said "I don't wan chew".
Old 10th July 2010, 17:24     #23478
leadinjector

ever since he called a cop sugartits he has been my favourite hollywood star.

keep it real Mel
Old 10th July 2010, 17:43     #23479
xor

Quint = sugartits love child
Old 10th July 2010, 22:41     #23480
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Mel Gibson is my idol
Some more gems

"They take it up the ass. [laughs, stands up, bends over, points to anus] This is only for taking a shit." —to Spanish newspaper El Pais when asked what he thinks of gays, in 1991

"I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first." — phone conversation with Grigorieva,