NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 7th November 2008, 18:42     #2081
CCS
Stunt Pants

Seems like a strong word to use though, but whatever.
Old 7th November 2008, 21:39     #2082
erentz

http://www.change.gov/

Doesn't seem to be much on it yet.
Old 7th November 2008, 22:38     #2083
dead goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Uh how do you know for sure?
Because I read a while back about Bush's limo being able to resist a rocket attack and blah blah, but i might be being naive though.

fuck up ashley, jesus.
Old 7th November 2008, 23:07     #2084
TnT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Really though, martyr?
Seems like a strong word to use though, but whatever.
It's the wrong word to use. If he is assasinated he's not a martyr, he didn't willingingly choose death for his principles.

Should he be assasinated during his presidential term I'm sure his death would be a catalyst for civil unrest, which I think is what JP is getting at. I'm not sure what the word is for that, but it's not Martyr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
Historic, loved figure + untimely death at the hands of others = martyr.
No, that's not a martyr. Martyrdom implies you're putting your life on the line for your religious beliefs, either willingly or chosing death over renouncing your beliefs.

Martyr implies relgious persecution, assasination of a president because of the colour of his skin or political ideals doesn't really fall under that category. Hence why islamic militants are Martyrs, they're choosing to die for their religion.
Old 7th November 2008, 23:40     #2085
Heresy
yawn.

Old 8th November 2008, 02:06     #2086
caffiend

^^^ Awesomelander.
Old 8th November 2008, 02:33     #2087
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I don't think we're ever gonna see Hilary that close to Obama

In other news, I am still enjoying watching the victory-announcement moment on Comedy Central's election coverage. Colbert and Stewart doing everything they can to look like something other than two guys crying on live television.
Old 8th November 2008, 09:42     #2088
Toksin

That's what I was watching when the announcement came through. Colbert was saying something and Stewart just interrupts him and goes "Ladies and gentlemen, the president of the united states is Barack Obama."

And everyone went nuts.

Awesome moment.
Old 8th November 2008, 13:22     #2089
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Still can't believe it. America has a black president...

Everytime I watch him give a speech it'll be like watching an episode of 24 :>
Old 8th November 2008, 13:52     #2090
crocos

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 8th November 2008, 14:37     #2091
doppelgänger of someone

ok off to vote

I think one of the reasons Obama won (and Hilary very possibly wouldn't) is that he got an obscene amount of money to spend. The wealthy patrons of the Republican party mostly have cashflow problems because of the economy and can't spend much on advertising. Obama, OTOH, got so much money he spend on an 30 mins ad. 30 fucking minutes. Basically Obama bought the airwave so Repbublicans can't play negative or dirty.
Old 8th November 2008, 15:48     #2092
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

The money for that was from public donations though ... so you're saying he won because he had a lot of public support
Old 8th November 2008, 16:21     #2093
Deadmeat

McCain took public financing which meant (as i understand it) that he was given a certain amount from the government with which to run his campaign and couldn't directly fundraise for himself. Obama didn't take the public method and so could fundraise, thus the overwhelming disparity in their war chests and how he was able to outspend on ads by a rate of something like 4 to 1.
Old 8th November 2008, 18:14     #2094
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
The wealthy patrons of the Republican party mostly have cashflow problems because of the economy and can't spend much on advertising.
No that's not it at all. It's that the wealthy patrons of the Republican Party are limited in terms of the MAXIMUM they can donate. Republican campaigns traditionally benefit from a comparatively small number of large donors. This year the McCain campaign was so badly organised that he had spent all his money by halfway through the primaries, with nothing left for the presidential campaign. The fact that his big-money donors had already donated their maximum amounts ($20,000 I think) meant he couldn't go back to them and say "can I have some more please?". So he HAD to take the public financing option. He was broke.

Obama on the other hand benefited from a huge number of small donors - what was it, 3.2 million unique donors, with a mean donation of $68? Since they had donated small amounts, every one of them could donate again.
Old 8th November 2008, 18:15     #2095
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
McCain took public financing which meant (as i understand it) that he was given a certain amount from the government with which to run his campaign and couldn't directly fundraise for himself.
Again, it is rather that McCain had already done all his fundraising and had already spent all the money.
Old 8th November 2008, 20:53     #2096
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

i have to say, this was pretty much the best youtube produced in this whole presidential race,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TiQCJXpbKg
Old 8th November 2008, 22:18     #2097
zeekiorage

Brilliant video.
Old 9th November 2008, 01:47     #2098
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Again, it is rather that McCain had already done all his fundraising and had already spent all the money.
No, that's not it at all.

Public Financing Faq
Quote:
The presidential candidates of the major parties who opt in for public financing of general election receive a public grant to cover the entire cost of their campaign on the condition that they do not raise any private funds. In 2004, the general election grant for each of the two major party presidential candidates was about $75 million. In 2008, the grant is estimated to be about $85 million.
I can't find (be bothered looking for) a nice quote to sum it up, but... McCain pledged during the primary season to accept public financing. Obama kind of agreed to this then backed out, thus had no limits at all on the funds he could raise and spend. This is why towards the end of the campaign McCain was blasting obama over going back on accepting it.
Old 9th November 2008, 02:44     #2099
crocos

Quote:
McCain pledged during the primary season to accept public financing. Obama kind of agreed to this then backed out, thus had no limits at all on the funds he could raise and spend.
The only thing I can find around that is McCain going "I will if you will" and Obama saying "Well, that's a nice idea" but not actually agreeing to it.

Old 9th November 2008, 10:53     #2100
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead goon
Because I read a while back about Bush's limo being able to resist a rocket attack and blah blah, but i might be being naive though.

fuck up ashley, jesus.
Obviously! Because when they say they are DEVELOPING a new one, that obviously means its not the same as the current fucking one doesn't it. Hence the key word in that headline, developing.

Why don't you just shut the fuck up for once.
Old 9th November 2008, 11:04     #2101
BaM
Freeloader

Financing a general election is not the same as financing a primary campaign. They're treated separately and have separate limits.

McCain took private donations for his primary and got public financing for the general election. Anyone who had donated money to him specifically for the general election (e.g., any individuals who who gave more than $2300 during the primaries) is supposed to get a refund from his campaign.
Old 9th November 2008, 13:22     #2102
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
No, that's not it at all
I stand corrected
Old 9th November 2008, 13:37     #2103
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Obviously! Because when they say they are DEVELOPING a new one, that obviously means its not the same as the current fucking one doesn't it. Hence the key word in that headline, developing.
Woop-de-shit. New Presidential limos are developed and delivered every few years, regardless of who the president is. The way you talk, it's as though they said "What? A BLACK man is going to be president? Well holy shit, we'd better develop a brand new state car that is redneck resistant!"

Quote:
Why don't you just shut the fuck up for once.
Take heed of your own advice. This discussion is done with. You've dug a hole for yourself, it's caved in and now you're stuck. Stop looking to us to dig you out. Seriously, just fuck up Ashley.
Old 9th November 2008, 13:38     #2104
Torka

Newsweek have written an incredibly interesting 7 part series with behind the scenes information on the campaigns of both candidates:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/167582/output/print
http://www.newsweek.com/id/167639/output/print
http://www.newsweek.com/id/167755/output/print
http://www.newsweek.com/id/167865/output/print
http://www.newsweek.com/id/167905/output/print
http://www.newsweek.com/id/167950/output/print
http://www.newsweek.com/id/168017/output/print

Hefty read but very worth it.
Old 9th November 2008, 15:51     #2105
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Woop-de-shit. New Presidential limos are developed and delivered every few years, regardless of who the president is. The way you talk, it's as though they said "What? A BLACK man is going to be president? Well holy shit, we'd better develop a brand new state car that is redneck resistant!"

Take heed of your own advice. This discussion is done with. You've dug a hole for yourself, it's caved in and now you're stuck. Stop looking to us to dig you out. Seriously, just fuck up Ashley.
What the fuck?

The article states, they are developing a new one. Yet he went ahead and said its the same as the current one. How can it possibly be the same, if they are developing a new one?

Don't go an put words in my mouth, you don't like it when people do it to you. I wasn't implying that it has to be super duper secure because he's black, you just assumed that because of our previous discussions.

I've not dug myself a hole, you've gone ahead and attempted to throw me into one. You can't seem to get your head around having a rational discussion about the topic at hand can you?

Like I said, anything in regards to security, military and things the average person doesn't know about, you have to be Captain 'I Have A PHD In Everything'

Last edited by Ashley : 9th November 2008 at 15:52.
Old 9th November 2008, 15:52     #2106
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
No that's not it at all. It's that the wealthy patrons of the Republican Party are limited in terms of the MAXIMUM they can donate. Republican campaigns traditionally benefit from a comparatively small number of large donors. This year the McCain campaign was so badly organised that he had spent all his money by halfway through the primaries, with nothing left for the presidential campaign. The fact that his big-money donors had already donated their maximum amounts ($20,000 I think) meant he couldn't go back to them and say "can I have some more please?". So he HAD to take the public financing option. He was broke.
The hard money McCain got is fixed, but the soft money, the money so called 527 groups spend (that supposedly cannot advocate for or against a candidate but they do it anyway), is not so limited. In 2004 the Swift Boat Veterans blew Kerry out of the water with their dirty campaign questioning his service record (which even at the time I thought was total bullshit, they don't give out purple heart like bottle cap, and Kerry got two).

Someone in the Republican party could have played that card again. Obama is an even easier target because of his association with Jeremiah Wright. And only Palin really questioned Obama's connection to the Weatherman. There could have been a coordinated attack. It never happened.

Perhaps the party ran out of money, perhaps they just don't like McCain well enough to really try that mud slinging, or perhaps McCain specifically ruled them out (he specifically said he wouldn't attack Obama because of his connection to Wright).

But there is no question that Obama got a lot of money from small donations, through superior logistics. In two or four years time the Republicans will wise up to the age of internet campaign financing (their bread and butter would be evangelical Christians), and we will see how Obama can handle that.
Old 9th November 2008, 23:08     #2107
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Someone in the Republican party could have played that card again. Obama is an even easier target because of his association with Jeremiah Wright. And only Palin really questioned Obama's connection to the Weatherman. There could have been a coordinated attack. It never happened.

Perhaps the party ran out of money, perhaps they just don't like McCain well enough to really try that mud slinging, or perhaps McCain specifically ruled them out (he specifically said he wouldn't attack Obama because of his connection to Wright).
One of the things was that the Democratic primary season was particularly decisive one with many of these attacks coming up back then. Republicans were complaining that "no-one was asking questions about Ayers"... this was mostly because they already had during the primary season and it proved back then to be a pretty nothing story. A lot of republican voices complained about Ayers, not just Palin, she was just the most shrill. Its unspokenly the Veep candidates job to fire off attacks at the opposition Pres candidate so that no mud sticks to their own parties pres candidate.

It became even more of a non-issue after McCain mentioned it in the 3rd debate (although it obviously pained him to do so) and Obama had a succinct straight forward answer to the allegation and was then immediatly back on message.

The party had the money to sling the mud but McCain, being the highly principled man (although you may not have seen this in the later months of the campaign) said that the issue of Obamas reverend was out of bounds. This was the reason an attack ad about him only showed up about 2 days before election day.

Someone else said it I think in this thread, bring back the McCain of 2000. I think a political contest between that McCain and Obama would have been something truly epic to behold and much more worthy of someone who proved himself a true patriot and hero of his country. For all that I am glad Obama won, I think the campaign run for McCain did him a huge disservice.
Old 9th November 2008, 23:28     #2108
Deadmeat

This sums up part of how Wright became a non-issue.
Old 10th November 2008, 01:37     #2109
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
What the fuck?

The article states, they are developing a new one. Yet he went ahead and said its the same as the current one. How can it possibly be the same, if they are developing a new one?
That's for you to whine to dead goon about. You'll note that I said they're always developing new states cars so it's not as though I'm necessarily disagreeing with you. If you had even half a brain, you would realise this.

Quote:
Don't go an put words in my mouth, you don't like it when people do it to you. I wasn't implying that it has to be super duper secure because he's black, you just assumed that because of our previous discussions.
Ashley, I'm not putting any words into your mouth. My point is that there is no real significance in the fact that they are developing a new state car. If you had even a quarter of a brain you would realise this.

Quote:
I've not dug myself a hole, you've gone ahead and attempted to throw me into one. You can't seem to get your head around having a rational discussion about the topic at hand can you?
I'm completely rational. Everything I say makes sense - to an adult. Whereas you're just flailing your arms around like a dumb kid.

Quote:
Like I said, anything in regards to security, military and things the average person doesn't know about, you have to be Captain 'I Have A PHD In Everything'
I don't know where you get this idea. But may if you say it in enough posts, people might start to believe you?
Old 10th November 2008, 10:22     #2110
dead goon

I never read the article where it said 'developing'. Who cares, move on. I'm not interested in nerd fighting on NZGames.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:39     #2111
crocos

I hereby award CCS a Phd in Everything:

Old 10th November 2008, 12:13     #2112
Kryten

A Butler Well Served by this Election - Washington Post article.

Should come with a "don't read at work" warning, but then I'm a sentimental softie.
Old 10th November 2008, 17:52     #2113
Caesar

Old 10th November 2008, 23:26     #2114
JERI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
Old 11th November 2008, 12:57     #2115
Cyberbob

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4757224a12.html

Obama makes historic White House visit
US President-elect Barack Obama has visited the White House for his first post-election meeting with President George W Bush, a strikingly symbolic moment in the transition of power.

Obviously part of a plan to find the underground tunnel to the Hope Diamond.
Old 11th November 2008, 17:48     #2116
ZoSo

If only you could somehow tap into both their inner thoughts on that meeting. Pure gold.
Old 11th November 2008, 18:11     #2117
BloodDonor

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10542433

Quote:
US President-elect Barack Obama's advisers are making plans to close the Guantanamo Bay prison and prosecute terror suspects in the United States, a plan that the Bush administration says would be easier said than done.

Under the plan being drawn up by Obama's advisers, some detainees would be released and others would be charged in US courts, where they would receive constitutional rights and open trials.

Old 11th November 2008, 18:15     #2118
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Good call. How Bush & co ever thought that a conviction in such circumstances would carry any weight is beyond me. Lets hope he carries through with it rather than let himself get bogged down in the inevitable red tape that the vested interests throw in his path.
Old 12th November 2008, 09:43     #2119
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Obviously part of a plan to find the underground tunnel to the Hope Diamond.
Old 13th November 2008, 01:56     #2120
Rep

New Admin may look like this

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/washingt...istration.html

Click the pdf