NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 9th June 2010, 19:08     #2041
p01s0n

copy and paste on my htc touch was pretty awful. you would have to get out the stylus, position the curser, try and drag it over what you wanted to select, hold down the stylus on the body of text selected, wait for the pop up menu, select copy, go over to the e-mail/address bar/what-have-you, tap and hold again, select paste.

it was a pretty shitty experience trying to do it while walking down the street, more often than not I would end up stopping and moving to the side of the footpath to do it all, since you just couldn't do it accurately whilst walking.

on the iphone, you tap the word, tap 'copy' from the little pop up menu, drag your finger over the text and lift your finger. then go over to the other app, tap the text field and then tap 'paste' from the menu.

you can do it with one hand, using only your thumb. it seriously makes a difference to how smooth the device is to use.

queue: bites being a homo.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:28     #2042
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervy
Seriously? It's copy and paste.... your god can release the greatest smartphone ever but he wants to make sure copy and paste works ok before they include it as a feature?
No, I think it's that whoever was project-managing Iphone's development made a decision that copy-and-paste was nonessential for the first version of the product. Or, put another way, Apple decided it was more important for hours to be spent making sure "thing on the essential list" worked ok than on doing anything about copy and paste.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:38     #2043
lektronimo

That's the problem with working with small number of people in a closed environment; you think your shit doesn't smell.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:54     #2044
Sam

I really don't get the rabid fanboy-ism. As far as devices go, both iPhone and Android have fairly comparable offerings.

If you like the iPhone and you're happy with Apple's restrictions on it then get one, it's a good device. If you prefer an Android one, sweet.

To me it's the "freedom" issue - I want to be able to do what I want on my phone, not what the manufacturer says I'm allowed to do, and for that reason I have (and am very happy with) an Android device.
Old 10th June 2010, 09:16     #2045
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
copy and paste on my htc touch was pretty awful. you would have to get out the stylus, position the curser, try and drag it over what you wanted to select, hold down the stylus on the body of text selected, wait for the pop up menu, select copy, go over to the e-mail/address bar/what-have-you, tap and hold again, select paste.

it was a pretty shitty experience trying to do it while walking down the street, more often than not I would end up stopping and moving to the side of the footpath to do it all, since you just couldn't do it accurately whilst walking.

on the iphone, you tap the word, tap 'copy' from the little pop up menu, drag your finger over the text and lift your finger. then go over to the other app, tap the text field and then tap 'paste' from the menu.

you can do it with one hand, using only your thumb. it seriously makes a difference to how smooth the device is to use.

queue: bites being a homo.
lol I don't need to point out the flaws in your numerous arguement points, you do quite fine by yourself. Your "lol at how wrong you are." response basically pointed out how fail your knowledge and illuminated your apparent blind love of jobs to anyone who spends more than 15 seconds reading your sourceless/incorrect posts and house of cards reasons.

You defeated/destroyed your own arguements a while ago. Now its just kinda sad.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 10th June 2010 at 09:19.
Old 10th June 2010, 09:35     #2046
p01s0n

if you have an ipad and an iphone, this is pretty fucking sweet:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/p...as-controller/

Old 10th June 2010, 10:40     #2047
CCS
Stunt Pants

Is it weird using that as a controller and not getting tactile feedback from proper buttons?
Old 10th June 2010, 10:47     #2048
nostrom0

"Stop me if you have heard this one before... Look what my iphone can do?"

STAB! STAB! STAB!
Old 10th June 2010, 10:48     #2049
p01s0n

it isn't too bad actually, a little bit disorientating at first but I can play street fighter pretty competently on my iphone now, so you get used to it quite quickly.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:51     #2050
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrom0
"Stop me if you have heard this one before... Look what my iphone can do?"

STAB! STAB! STAB!
if you don't like people talking about what their smartphones can do, why are you reading the smartphone thread?

your whinge is basically on par with the people that get goatse'd in the pic of the day thread on their work pc's and complain about it.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:51     #2051
CCS
Stunt Pants

Interesting. I get the feeling I would find it infuriating.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:01     #2052
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I really don't get the rabid fanboy-ism. As far as devices go, both iPhone and Android have fairly comparable offerings.

If you like the iPhone and you're happy with Apple's restrictions on it then get one, it's a good device. If you prefer an Android one, sweet.

To me it's the "freedom" issue - I want to be able to do what I want on my phone, not what the manufacturer says I'm allowed to do, and for that reason I have (and am very happy with) an Android device.
/thread
(and the fact my Magic was/is a damn sight cheaper than an iPhone, which TBH was the biggest factor in my purchasing decision)
Old 10th June 2010, 12:41     #2053
cyc
Objection!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364765,00.asp

If what thet say here is true (i.e. new Iphone is available off contract in the US for $600 - $700 USD), it might mean that we'll see some parallel imports.
Old 10th June 2010, 13:55     #2054
Disinformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
(and the fact my Magic was/is a damn sight cheaper than an iPhone, which TBH was the biggest factor in my purchasing decision)
What ROM are you running? Standard 1.6 or something custom?
Old 10th June 2010, 14:08     #2055
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

std (vodafone-delivered) v1.6
Old 10th June 2010, 14:17     #2056
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
ahahahahaha

wow its like a review by poison. Android fanboy? ... yeah nah.
Did you read the same article?
Quote:
But I expected to walk out of San Francisco’s Moscone Center yesterday longing for the next iPhone despite my current allegiance to Android. That didn’t happen.
It's more like the anti-p01s0n

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 10th June 2010, 14:48     #2057
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Posting from iPad, cool but not sold. Hard to type with 2 fingers.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:39     #2058
_Incubus_

Very angry

I'm finding the biggest issue with my HTC Desire is the battery life, it is fucking woeful. I hardly get 6 hours out of it and I know there are ways to turn off bluetooth, wifi, other tasks but for fucks sake thats what the fucking phone is designed to do and I shouldnt have to fucking cripple it to have a fucking phone that last the whole day.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:43     #2059
Matt0r

Thumbs up sup ipad

AT&T security hole exposes iPad users' e-mails
Quote:
The hacker group that claims to have discovered the weakness _ the group calls itself Goatse Security _ said it was able to trick AT&T's site into coughing up more than 114,000 e-mail addresses, including those apparently of famous media personalities and important government officials.
goatse exposed a hole

Best. Article. Evar.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:10     #2060
Disinformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
I'm finding the biggest issue with my HTC Desire is the battery life, it is fucking woeful. I hardly get 6 hours out of it and I know there are ways to turn off bluetooth, wifi, other tasks but for fucks sake thats what the fucking phone is designed to do and I shouldnt have to fucking cripple it to have a fucking phone that last the whole day.
This is the biggest problem with high end android at present and one of the reasons I'm not going to upgrade yet.

That said you should be doing better than that with 'normal' usage (i.e. not web browsing for 6 hours straight), have a look in the battery properties and see whats using it.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:19     #2061
Bent

With my normal usage, it's usually 50% display, 20% phone calls, 10% standby and then a bunch of small tasks. I never use a task killer because it's not necessary and I don't run badly written applications.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:20     #2062
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disinformation
This is the biggest problem with high end android at present and one of the reasons I'm not going to upgrade yet.

That said you should be doing better than that with 'normal' usage (i.e. not web browsing for 6 hours straight), have a look in the battery properties and see whats using it.
Granted I am using it to do some surfing, playing games when bored, calls, messages and IM..however thats what the fucking phone is designed to do, its not too much to expect it to do that for atleast 12 hours in my mind. On the plane back from Sydney it died after 2 hours of listening to music and playing a game which makes it pretty difficult to rely on having to be near a charger at all times.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:21     #2063
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

By all accounts the EVO 4G is even worse.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:37     #2064
Bent

Quote:
Granted I am using it to do some surfing, playing games when bored, calls, messages and IM..however thats what the fucking phone is designed to do, its not too much to expect it to do that for atleast 12 hours in my mind. On the plane back from Sydney it died after 2 hours of listening to music and playing a game which makes it pretty difficult to rely on having to be near a charger at all times.
The only difference is that I almost never play games. Maybe that will improve a bit when you get Froyo.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:27     #2065
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam

Agree, being an iPod user for many years I was aware of the 'freedom' issue but what pushed me in favour of the iPhone (Nov 2009) was App exclusivity. Example is my work uses www.openair.com for timesheets, they only have an iPhone app. No-one likes doing timesheets, but at least I can now do mine on the bus/train home... With over 200,000 apps to choose from, there are some VERY handy apps to choose from. Last time I checked there are 30,000 available on the Android marketplace so not exactly lagging too far behind.

Slowly but surely I've sunk a fair bit of money into Apps, and each purchase is another reason I won't be switching to an Android phone anytime soon. The only catch is that my life is becoming more and more google-centric, and it's obvious that Google is sandbagging its iPhone apps, fair enough.

There are some very good Android phones out now, or coming soon. Every product release the manufacturer has to make a balance choice, in the case of the EVO I think they went too far with screensize to battery ratio. It getting a fairly bad press because of it, perfect timing for Apple to announce they are pushing the balance back in the other direction. I find the size of the iPhone screen just right for my needs.

Anyway, here is a recent Apple vs Android article, many to follow no doubt. Note that they are speculating on iOS 4.0, so grain of salt etc...
Old 11th June 2010, 13:42     #2066
Lightspeed

My phone probably doesn't count in this thread, but does anyone know a good recording app for the humble N95 (Symbian OS)?

The built in one only runs for an hour, but I want at least 8 hours worth of recording so I can capture bird song in the morning.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:27     #2067
Danjah

Quote:
weird, i find its about the same as when i had my iphone 3gs with its location services and bluetooth turned off and push settings disabled/set to manual. when i had my iphone set to its out of the box defaults and then whored web browsing during the day it barely lasted my working day, infact the battery died on more than one occasion through too much browsing.

how long have you had the desire for so far? apparently it takes a while for the battery to hit its peak for battery from what i've read on forums.

not sure why you would want orexpect the phone to run all the little gadgets and features without impacting on battery?
Old 11th June 2010, 17:15     #2068
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjah
how long have you had the desire for so far? apparently it takes a while for the battery to hit its peak for battery from what i've read on forums.
I had heard that was the case with pretty much all rechargable batteries ... I know my droid was shit house the first 2-3 days of using it .... partially due to ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjah
not sure why you would want orexpect the phone to run all the little gadgets and features without impacting on battery?

I went spastic (as you do when you get a phone with shittons of options and features). Cool thing is having the android battery usage thingy showing (as someone mentioned earlier) either badly written software or set to check more often than I breathe.

Now even with wifi just enabled and cruising I don't use anywhere near a full charge per day.

Now since I bought two media docking stations (fuck yeah the Motorola milestone is sexy!) one for work, one for hom, and have every cunting thing turned on ...

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 11th June 2010, 17:18     #2069
p01s0n

I just use my phone aye, don't really need to monitor battery usage and use 3rd party apps to tell me which other apps are written so poorly as to bring the device to its knees.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:33     #2070
TnT

Quote:
Buy a higher capacity battery if that's what you need, at least you have the option to be able to do that, fuck you could even carry a spare charged battery on the plane and, I know this is going to freak the iPhonies completely out, *change the battery* WOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHH NO WAY YOU CAN DO THAT?

Battery life does improve after a few weeks, mine has gotten a lot better.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:43     #2071
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT
Buy a higher capacity battery if that's what you need, at least you have the option to be able to do that, fuck you could even carry a spare charged battery on the plane and, I know this is going to freak the iPhonies completely out, *change the battery* WOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHH NO WAY YOU CAN DO THAT?

Battery life does improve after a few weeks, mine has gotten a lot better.
I could reply, but this other guy had a way better post.

Quote:
hahahahahhahahahaha fucking dose yourself in gasoline and incinerate your stupidity infected corpse before you infect the others. the future is now but theres a big difference: android is dead. across the country garbage disposal teams are working overtime to haul off of vast quantities of trashed evos and droids, useless, fragile toys, shattered in the wake of WWDC, destined for the crusher, every single one, and then shipped off to foxconn in little cubes to provide material for the only smartphone that matters.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:55     #2072
Disinformation

Quote:
I just use my phone aye, don't really need to monitor battery usage and use 3rd party apps to tell me which other apps are written so poorly as to bring the device to its knees.
You don't need to use any third party app. Indeed using a task killer is a bad idea and very likely to result in WORSE battery life.
Old 11th June 2010, 18:26     #2073
Bent

Quote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/ga...e-for-Mac-fans

So, you've signed up already? I can't think of a better place to hook up with like minded people to reinforce your delusions.
Old 11th June 2010, 18:34     #2074
Rocket

o_O

Please dont quote the ignored guy, ya huh you know who i'm talking about.
Old 11th June 2010, 18:36     #2075
TnT

Quote:
I had no idea there was someone on the planet more inane than yourself, you learn something every day.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:28     #2076
cyc
Objection!

Can someone just ban Poison from the T&T forum? He adds nothing but junk.
Old 11th June 2010, 20:30     #2077
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Can someone just ban Poison from the T&T forum? He adds nothing but junk.
at least i post about phones in the phone thread.

irony much?

btw

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10/h...pped-at-30fps/
Old 11th June 2010, 21:07     #2078
mpx

So is there any official word on when the iPhone 4 will be released here? And any gauge on pricing? Or will we have to wait a few weeks/months to know anything?
Old 11th June 2010, 23:32     #2079
p01s0n

looks like end of july, "18 more" countries will be receiving it at the end of july, which usually means aus, NZ etc.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:11     #2080
RedeviL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disinformation
You don't need to use any third party app. Indeed using a task killer is a bad idea and very likely to result in WORSE battery life.
I found just this, it was the first app I installed - all it managed to allow me to do was kill programs running in the background which resulted in killing programs which handle power saving!

I've so far found it's battery life to be far better than my Nokia E90 - each day it seems to improve as well. Which seems to back up what many people say that it takes a good week to get the battery running full stride.

Today it's been on, syncing in the background, for over 4 hours - only used 1/4 battery. This includes half a dozen calls, 20 txts and a good hour of web/facebook browsing.

My expectations have been trumped, I was expecting maybe 4 hours battery life doing what I am.