Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 11th August 2013, 11:51     #2041
chubby

muh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Yes I think things would have been different. National has generally done things pretty well whereas labour tended to cock-up almost everything; I sincerely believe that had labour been at the reins through this we'd be much worse off than we are.
wheres the brave ab now,to protect us from authoritatively spouted drivel?
please sir..come and challenge this glass dragon.
Old 11th August 2013, 15:03     #2042
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There's nothing there that deserves challenging.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:24     #2043
chubby

..i guess not then..

as an aside,racism in labour housing policy being unacceptable-
is it very nice for tim grosser to be using it as distraction in his capacity as our trade minister?
Old 12th August 2013, 12:19     #2044
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Context?
Old 12th August 2013, 15:25     #2045
chubby

moves in sri lanka to question the safety of our dairy exports.
Old 12th August 2013, 15:32     #2046
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

what's he done?
Old 13th August 2013, 22:17     #2047
fixed_truth

Quote:
Under proposed new law changes revealed today, judges would also have the power to ban suspected child abusers from being around children for up to 10 years without being convicted of a crime
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...abuse-suspects
Old 14th August 2013, 12:28     #2048
ZoSo

Funny.
Old 14th August 2013, 20:49     #2049
ZoSo

https://twitter.com/DrBrianEdwards/s...50704275038208
Quote:
@JohnJCampbell Raving is not interviewing, John. A graceless and embarrassing performance. This from your greatest fan. Brian
Oh dear.
Old 14th August 2013, 20:57     #2050
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Holy shit, Brian Edwards just passed up an opportunity to put "Dr" in front of his name.
Old 14th August 2013, 21:44     #2051
fixed_truth

I liked the part where Key said that The Law Society, the Privacy Commissioner, the Human Rights commissioner, former head of the GCSB Bruce Ferguson and Geoffrey Palmer are all wrong.
Old 15th August 2013, 20:22     #2052
Lightspeed

facepalm

There mustn't be a single moderate man in Egypt...

I can't see how this gets better before it gets worse.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:18     #2053
Lightspeed

The military probably need to re-instate Morsi. They should have never deposed him, boot him during election if that's needed. Of course this will mean the Brotherhood will be a lot more bold, but that's probably better than chaos.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:14     #2054
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But... Arab Spring! Twitter! WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG?
Old 17th August 2013, 16:40     #2055
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I liked the part where Key said that The Law Society, the Privacy Commissioner, the Human Rights commissioner, former head of the GCSB Bruce Ferguson and Geoffrey Palmer are all wrong.
Rodney Harrison: Wholesale spy power is precisely what GCSB bill means for Kiwis
Quote:
In a nutshell, the reason why Mr Key is wrong as a matter of law in claiming that New Zealanders have nothing to fear from the GCSB bill is that his limited analysis of the three new functions to be conferred on the GCSB totally overlooks the point that the statutory intelligence-gathering powers of the GCSB are also being considerably expanded, at the same time as its functions are. When the totality of the changes is considered, we have a major increase in the overall role and powers of the GCSB. That, in some instances, the Prime Minister's authority is required for the GCSB to proceed cannot alter this.
Old 21st August 2013, 17:16     #2056
Lightspeed

RBNZ imposes lending restrictions

A bunch of media seems to be coming out as if this is National's wicked doing, which I don't think it is really. In fact most of the reporting I heard at least seemed to indicate National wanted things to go a different way.

I think it's just whining about first home buyers really. I mean, housing prices going up and up isn't positive for people wanting to own a home (as opposed to people wanting a "sure thing" investment.)
Old 22nd August 2013, 13:23     #2057
Jodi

Can't wait for the stories of the parents that lose their house cos their children can't make their mortgage payments, and they forgot to limit their liability to 20%.
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:11     #2058
ZoSo

Policy, or rolled?
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:27     #2059
StN
I have detailed files

Dead in the water. Like an undersize snapper.
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:38     #2060
CCS
Stunt Pants

Shouldn't have held up those fish in parliament.
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:41     #2061
Lightspeed

National mourns.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:38     #2062
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Remember when the government was on the back foot about the GCSB legislation and Meridian Energy and everyone was saying that the cracks were beginning to show in Key's public persona?

No, me neither.

LABOUR SAVES THE DAY AGAIN
Old 27th August 2013, 21:56     #2063
Lightspeed

So how do things play out in Syria right now? How does the US slap Assad around a bit while not rallying support for anti-US and anti-Israeli groups. Maybe Russia will save the day somehow.
Old 28th August 2013, 23:17     #2064
fidgit
Always itchy

Isn't Russia pro-Assad? So... it'll become another proxy by which the US makes threats but can't act because they don't want to poke Putin, while Assad keeps killing his countrymen because he can.

Meanwhile, North Korea will notice the US is paying it less attention now and start some shit with South Korea and the US has to juggle not starting a second proxy war with China.

Or, the French storm in, assassinate Assad and Democracy wins.
Old 29th August 2013, 12:15     #2065
Juju
get to da choppa

Syria has Russia's only port in the meditteranian. They ain't gonna give that up easily.
Old 29th August 2013, 12:27     #2066
xor

The Persians support Assad as they are Shia Muslims as well.

Old 29th August 2013, 12:36     #2067
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Isn't Russia pro-Assad? So... it'll become another proxy by which the US makes threats but can't act because they don't want to poke Putin, while Assad keeps killing his countrymen because he can.

Meanwhile, North Korea will notice the US is paying it less attention now and start some shit with South Korea and the US has to juggle not starting a second proxy war with China.

Or, the French storm in, assassinate Assad and Democracy wins.
I was thinking maybe Russia step in and give Assad enough of a growling for Western powers to save face, saving the West from making the difficult decision of how to respond.

But no, it's all down to power which the Syrian people don't have.
Old 29th August 2013, 13:03     #2068
xor

Quote from elsewhere:

Syria is a majority Sunni country, BUT, the ruling group (Assad's) are Shia. The other major country to note here is Saudia Arabia. Sunni Islam, and really dislike Shia muslims.
Old 29th August 2013, 13:13     #2069
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If the USA goes in to Syria it will be a clusterfuck on a scale that makes Iraq look like a trivial and easily-resolved disagreement.
Old 29th August 2013, 13:44     #2070
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Quote from elsewhere:

Syria is a majority Sunni country, BUT, the ruling group (Assad's) are Shia. The other major country to note here is Saudia Arabia. Sunni Islam, and really dislike Shia muslims.
And if you're Christian? Well, you get bombed by idiots in both groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
If the USA goes in to Syria it will be a clusterfuck on a scale that makes Iraq look like a trivial and easily-resolved disagreement.
This is the kind of thing that starts a world war.
Old 29th August 2013, 14:44     #2071
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
And if you're Christian? Well, you get bombed by idiots in both groups.

This is the kind of thing that starts a world war.

I tend to agree, but surely mutually assured destruction will keep things..i dunno...safer.

I just hope my nerd skills will allow me to avoid the draft.
Old 29th August 2013, 19:19     #2072
Lightspeed

Putin seems to be doing his bit to keep things calm, at least according to the NYT:
Putin’s Silence on Syria Suggests His Resignation Over Intervention
Old 29th August 2013, 21:45     #2073
fixed_truth

Interesting report on inequality from Bryan Bruce on Inside New Zealand tonight. *Viewer discretion is advised. The show's content may not be suitable for some nzgamers

http://www.tv3.co.nz/INSIDE-NEW-ZEAL...1/Default.aspx
Old 29th August 2013, 23:50     #2074
Lightspeed

Hah! I suppose we can see a few more stories like that post Campbell's interview of Key.
Old 30th August 2013, 00:57     #2075
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

tl;dw. Summary?
Old 30th August 2013, 09:04     #2076
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
So how do things play out in Syria right now? How does the US slap Assad around a bit while not rallying support for anti-US and anti-Israeli groups. Maybe Russia will save the day somehow.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/syria
Old 30th August 2013, 09:12     #2077
fixed_truth

In a a few words . . . the neo-liberal reforms of the 80s fucked New Zealand and we need to cut that shit out.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:19     #2078
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
tl;dw. Summary?
Leftist propaganda. I stopped watching when Helen Kelly showed up. I mean, not that there was anything questionable, it was just laid on a bit thick.

Stuff we already know, really. There are more poor people in NZ than before, wages aren't increasing in line with production, current taxation favours the wealthy. Reading between the lines: the poors shouldn't vote for National.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:23     #2079
Lightspeed

Study finds poverty reduces brain power

Pretty much stuff shrinks have suspected for a long time. It'll be interesting to see how this line of research progresses.

Quote:
"The poor are often highly effective at focusing on and dealing with pressing problems," he said. "But they don't have leftover bandwidth to devote to other tasks.

"So, if you live in poverty, you're more error prone and errors cost you more dearly -- it's hard to find a way out."
Old 30th August 2013, 09:32     #2080
pxpx

Quote:
Leftist propaganda. I stopped watching when Helen Kelly showed up. I mean, not that there was anything questionable, it was just laid on a bit thick.

Stuff we already know, really. There are more poor people in NZ than before, wages aren't increasing in line with production, current taxation favours the wealthy. Reading between the lines: the poors shouldn't vote for National.
+1

It was typical Bryan Bruce, cherry picking facts and talking only to experts who support his chosen them. Interesting enough but a bit tiresome after the constant bombardment of (as LS said) lefty propaganda.

For some reason he goes to 3rd world countries for economic advice.