MoP

Old 9th February 2012, 01:39     #1962
fidgit
Always itchy

Indeed!

http://www.veidt.com/wp-content/uplo...ancholia_1.png
Old 11th February 2012, 22:07     #1963
_Incubus_

Ok got back from taking the nephews to The Phantom Menace in 3D. Great 3d, very subtle effects, makes a post mix like clash of he titans look even worse. However that said it is still The Phantom Menace.
Old 11th February 2012, 22:43     #1964
crocos

I would talk you down from the suicide you are no doubt contemplating, but I don't really know you well enough for that...

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 15th February 2012, 21:53     #1965
fidgit
Always itchy

Went to see The Descendents for our Valentines Day outing, not bad at all. I knew pretty much nothing beyond George was in it, and something about Hawaii. Turns out to be a family-reconnecting/revenge/isn't Hawaii pretty flick.

Also turned out to be a bit of a tear jerker (well, I didn't cry, I've only ever cried during The Simpsons and Toy Story 3), but the missus was burning through tissues for the last quarter of the movie or so.

Satisfying, not super deep, but competent. 4/5
Old 15th February 2012, 22:23     #1966
wazza
*flex*

The Descendents is ridiculously(surprisingly!) good
Old 16th February 2012, 01:08     #1967
pervy

The Lives of Others is the best film I have watched recently, and definitely the best German film I have ever seen.

I found The Descendants to be completely overrated. If you long for Clooney then watch The Ides of March instead.

The Help is a great film, I think it will take best picture.

Melancholia is one of those overly visual movies, like something from Terrence Malick. Fine if you like that sort of thing but boring as shit if you don't.

Moneyball is awesome.

Finally got around to watching Senna yesterday, how in the fuck did that miss out on a nomination for best documentary???
Old 16th February 2012, 02:39     #1968
Savage

In Time - how in gods green fuck was this recommended as good? What a steaming, fetid turd.
Old 21st February 2012, 13:47     #1969
GM

Can totally recommend "The Art of Flight"

Youtube Trailer

Great sound track, awesome cinematography with people doing absurd stuff that only the privileged 1% who have a talent and balls to do.

Blue Ray does this doco great justice
Old 21st February 2012, 17:01     #1970
GM

God someone comment on my ace post about this great doco ffs

I'm going to F5 in 5, if shit ain't happening in this thread, damn the lot of you!
Old 21st February 2012, 17:10     #1971
GM

Old 21st February 2012, 17:18     #1972
Spink

I thought the flight in chronicle was better
Old 21st February 2012, 19:08     #1973
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM

Youtube Trailer

Great sound track, awesome cinematography with people doing absurd stuff that only the privileged 1% who have a talent and balls to do.

Fuck yes - anyone with even a moderate interest in Snowboarding / skiing should check this out. It is epic.
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:57     #1974
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM

Youtube Trailer

I assume that you bought the BR? Was it ever in the theatres here?
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:32     #1975
GM

Yup, it showed in Albany (AK). But I got the BR - I recently installed a home theatre so wanted to crank it and enjoy the score / sound track.
Old 24th February 2012, 00:01     #1976
fidgit
Always itchy

If you have not enjoyed the Final Destination movies up to this point there is absolutely no reason for wasting your time or money even thinking about the Fifth installment. You don't even need to post to say how much you hate them, just move on to the next post about how great The Artist is.

Ok for the maybe three of you tha didn't move on: Final Destination 5 was actually really pretty good. It was light years (light years!) ahead of 4, which was a painful experience in being shat on by a talentless stuntman who for some reason was given the reigns, *even after almost fucking up 2 and ending the franchise then and there.*. The general consensus amongst fans I know is 1, 3, 2, 4 - and 5 fits nicely in between 3 and 2. The acting is your typical pack of teens horror/thriller, but that's not why you watch these movies is it? The deaths were significantly less telegraphed than 4, though by this point in the franchise, there's not a whole lot left that hasn't been done (well, between FD and Saw). Theres even a neat twist ending that you'll only see coming if your paying attention to details and thinking critically (so, most people won't have bothered to work it out before its obvious). Also, after the movie was another neat thing - a clip reel of all the deaths from the 5 movies. It was like a fun "remember that time we trapped two girls in a tanning salon and cooked them to death" montage.

Tl/dr: FD5 - worth it if you liked the last 4, even if 4 made you almost as disillusioned as that time someone fucked up Terminator 3 so badly.

Last edited by fidgit : 24th February 2012 at 00:03.
Old 24th March 2012, 23:07     #1977
Kryten

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - three thumbs up.
Old 25th March 2012, 00:33     #1978
kRAdENkO

Enjoyed Ghost Rider Vengeance for what it was.
Old 25th March 2012, 10:20     #1979
demannu

Watched 21 jump street last night. Incredibly funny movie.. The whole theater was in hysterics most of the time. Will be buying when it hits bluray
Old 25th March 2012, 11:33     #1980
wazza
*flex*

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by demannu
Watched 21 jump street last night. Incredibly funny movie.. The whole theater was in hysterics most of the time. Will be buying when it hits bluray
don't think i've ever laughed so much during a movie :P it was really funny
Old 26th March 2012, 08:35     #1981
StN
I have detailed files

Took the boy to The Hunger Games yesterday. Meh - not too bad. Haven't and don't intend to read the books, so I'm guessing the second and third installments cover some kind of passive unified uprising? Plot points were quite predictable, and I was more han a little gutted that when I visited all the shops in the mall that would sell DVDs, none of them have The Running Man, so the boy's further education will have to wait.

Strange that a culture that can create tactile holograms can't automate coal mining...

Anyway, as we were waiting for the complex at The Palms to open I saw several signs mentioning ReChurch, and we speculated that theatres could be used by religoes first thng on a Sunday to cover the gap created by all the broken masonary around town. Turns out that this is what is happening. A couple of oldies were standing at the concession counter yelling at one stage (An hour before the signs said anything would be open) - guess they wanted some popcorn with their God?

The boy asked if they would be watching the Brian moive - I gave a knowing smile.
Old 26th March 2012, 08:59     #1982
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

^^ don't break your boy's mind by renting The Running Man - get him to read the book.... far superior.
Old 26th March 2012, 09:01     #1983
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
If you have not enjoyed the Final Destination movies up to this point there is absolutely no reason for wasting your time or money even thinking about the Fifth installment. You don't even need to post to say how much you hate them, just move on to the next post about how great The Artist is.

Ok for the maybe three of you tha didn't move on: Final Destination 5 was actually really pretty good. It was light years (light years!) ahead of 4, which was a painful experience in being shat on by a talentless stuntman who for some reason was given the reigns, *even after almost fucking up 2 and ending the franchise then and there.*. The general consensus amongst fans I know is 1, 3, 2, 4 - and 5 fits nicely in between 3 and 2. The acting is your typical pack of teens horror/thriller, but that's not why you watch these movies is it? The deaths were significantly less telegraphed than 4, though by this point in the franchise, there's not a whole lot left that hasn't been done (well, between FD and Saw). Theres even a neat twist ending that you'll only see coming if your paying attention to details and thinking critically (so, most people won't have bothered to work it out before its obvious). Also, after the movie was another neat thing - a clip reel of all the deaths from the 5 movies. It was like a fun "remember that time we trapped two girls in a tanning salon and cooked them to death" montage.

Tl/dr: FD5 - worth it if you liked the last 4, even if 4 made you almost as disillusioned as that time someone fucked up Terminator 3 so badly.
ok... wasn't going to bother, but I might now - but your review better be right!!!
Old 26th March 2012, 09:13     #1984
Fx.

yeah its a lot better than the last few

the first big scene being on the vancouver bridge made me lol (funny how many landmarks i see in movies set in USA being here in Vancouver)
Old 26th March 2012, 20:04     #1985
cryocore

Not new, and certainly niche but Iron Maiden: Flight 666 is spectacular. Regardless of your opinion of their music you can not deny their popularity, strong work ethic, and love for the music. I was awestruck by some of the crowd reactions especially in South America. Also having your vocalist being a commercial airline pilot certainly does have its advantages. As far as I can tell they are a bunch of good blokes having fun... and them elder gents still own that fucken stage (also Bruce puts most frontmen half his age to shame).

Respect

Just spent all day with Maiden playing the background (minus all that Blaze shite)
Old 28th March 2012, 12:51     #1986
chiQ
Frag-muff

What do they call The Hunger Games in France?

Old 28th March 2012, 19:37     #1987
ceer

How the hell did it get such a high rating on Rotten Toms?

I dunno...it doesn't look THAT good.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:22     #1988
chiQ
Frag-muff

I think the books have been really popular in the US, and the film has had a lot of hype. I am enjoying the books (still on book 2), but it's nothing special. Just good, absorbing mindcandy. I don't have great expectations, and certainly won't watch it if it's not way better than the book.

Last edited by chiQ : 28th March 2012 at 20:24.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:44     #1989
Deadmeat

The first one seemed better. The second book hasn't really contained any surprises so far, which makes the book feel like an unimaginative movie sequel.
for example the quarter quell is brought up like 20 pages in and it's immediately obvious that through some contrivance she'll end up in the arena again

Maybe it's the fact i've just slammed through all 5 game of thrones books that makes it feel like these books are a bit insubstantial somehow. Not that they're not enjoyable.
Old 29th March 2012, 00:14     #1990
chiQ
Frag-muff

I'm the same. Recently I've read a few Agatha Christie books, ASoF&I, and now I'm reading Mort and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, as well as the second HG book. In contrast to the others the HG books are watery and a little lacking in character depth. They are tinny, but worth reading...once. I don't see myself going back again and again, as I have with all the others I've mentioned.

It would take awesome screenwriting and acting to really turn them into anything really meaty.
Old 7th April 2012, 00:47     #1991
Furry Crew

The Raid

Best action movie you'll see all year.

2 Thumbs up

Old 7th April 2012, 11:05     #1992
blur^

HG's are young adult novel's remember :P
and by young adults i assume they be tweens, hence the lack of needed sexy time

i just the read the first two as well, first one was decent, second one is pretty shit TBH. not gonna bother with the third, may check out the movie tho

Last edited by blur^ : 7th April 2012 at 11:06.
Old 10th April 2012, 16:53     #1993
Ajax
Architeuthis

Saw Hunger Games last night. Terrible teen melodramatic nonsense, poor acting, uninspired story. 3/10 cannot recommend this at all. A film version of The Long Walk, preferably directed by Frank Darabont, would be much more interesting.
Old 15th April 2012, 04:20     #1994
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Sucker Punch: DON'T BOTHER. It is a mess. I can buy that it is a prison escape movie, girls freeing themselves from the clutches of evil men. But why are those girls fighting WWI, samurai, dragon and robots??? WHY WHY WHY???

It is like Zach Synder is afraid to do a straight up escape movie, so he added all those CGI 'symbolisms' in there to 'spice things up'. No they do not, the CGI sequences looked like they are there to keep CGI makers employed, and no more. In the end, the whole is LESS than sum of its parts.
Bump - just watched it. Thought it was pretty good.

The ending though seemed... lame. Pasted on. Got my google happening and turns out the studio cut an ending sex scene with the "High Roller" out, the ending that actually made fucking sense. Americans, fuck. Hey all the eviscerations and explosions and stabbings and shootings are OK, but sex? Whoa, can't have that now.

The steampunk WWI segment was epic.

The story was actually kinda cool but all the alternate reality scenes were a bit distracting. I thought the movie had the bones of a sad story but it did get a bit buried under fucked up crazy war scenes.

Fucking GREAT musical score.
Old 15th April 2012, 04:32     #1995
pervy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Crew
The Raid

Best action movie you'll see all year.

2 Thumbs up
This. Movie is epic.
Old 25th April 2012, 15:41     #1996
Caesar

Saw the midnight viewing of The Avengers last night.
Fucken good fun, most enjoyable.
Preview for new Spiderman does noting for me tho, will pass on that.
Old 25th April 2012, 22:37     #1997
Simon K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
Saw the midnight viewing of The Avengers last night.
Fucken good fun, most enjoyable.
Preview for new Spiderman does noting for me tho, will pass on that.
Its nice to see a marvel flick with a big budget actually making use of it...plenty of shiny things and explosions. 3D wasnt OTT either. Enjoyed it

Last edited by Simon K : 25th April 2012 at 22:39.
Old 25th April 2012, 23:06     #1998
Wally Simmonds

Watched 'Moon' last night, was way better than I expected. Apparently did it on a budget of 5 mil, as well.
Old 27th April 2012, 23:18     #1999
StN
I have detailed files

Tintin on BluRay
Old 27th April 2012, 23:25     #2000
wazza
*flex*

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Tintin on BluRay
Fuck Yes