NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th February 2008, 14:17     #161
caffiend

You would not believe how far from the mark you are...
Old 15th February 2008, 14:20     #162
Trigger
Laserman

oh really, so you're saying I'm wrong in thinking that if I get paid $20k more a year I get to save $20k more a year and instead I'm a victim of consumerism?
oooookay then
Old 15th February 2008, 14:22     #163
caffiend

No I mean about your interpretation of my earning, spending habits and living circumstances.

I agree with your comment about earning more allowing you to save more. Which is fine... and more power to you and those like you. But I can't help feeling that many people just want bigger houses and a Porsche Cayenne instead of a Toyota Previa.

Last edited by caffiend : 15th February 2008 at 14:24.
Old 15th February 2008, 14:26     #164
Trigger
Laserman

and what's wrong with that?

hay guyz let's all aim to be mediocre and just get by surviving!1!11
Old 15th February 2008, 14:27     #165
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
My genes like me having money because money equals a good house in a safe area, access to high-quality education and healthcare for my offspring, and the ability to devote time and attention to the growth and development of my offspring.
financial security is only hard to achieve when you are drawn into consumerism and end up living outside of your means.

companies invest billions on advertising because it works! - people are conditioned to believe that they'll be happy when they've got the latest falcon or commodore, or a bigger house - or $10 000 entertainment system or holiday to Hawaii or whatever - the shit doesn't end.

all im saying is that if peoples self-worth wasn't so tied up to what they own, then they could be a lot happier and financial security wouldn't seem so unobtainable
Old 15th February 2008, 14:28     #166
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger

If you think someone who owns a Cayenne is any more or less mediocre than someone who drives a Previa then you sir, are a cock.
Old 15th February 2008, 14:33     #167
Trigger
Laserman

maybe not the exact brand of cars, but I'd much rather drive a nice new safe car then a shitty 2nd hand piece of junk that will break down
and hey guess what, in order to buy a nice new car, you need money!
like wau!!!11
Old 15th February 2008, 15:05     #168
caffiend

Alright - my bad - we're off on a tangent.

Of course you need money. And would I rather have more? Absolutely! I love stuff - I've bought loads of cool "things" lately that are in no way necessities. And I invest and save and all those things as well.

But I sure as shit won't make money the reason I choose to move to another country.
Old 15th February 2008, 15:27     #169
Trigger
Laserman

well that's cause you have other reasons to keep you here. understandable

some people have different circumstances, and priorities, and more money appeals to them... so therefore... hence thus...

my point is, just cause someone wants more monies, that doesn't make them a consumer whore, or a bad person or whatever. there are many many reasons why more money is better than less money.

Actually I'm not really sure how that can even be a point of discussion/argument/disagreement. I mean come on
Old 15th February 2008, 15:32     #170
caffiend

It's not a point of discussion/argument/disagreement. More money is better than less money.

It's just a question of asking yourself whether more money is better than all the reasons someone might want to stay in NZ.

Look, if someone wants to move to Australia for the sun, the bigger cities with more things happening, the "hot chicks", or whatever, and they also get more money into the bargain... then win-win FTW.

My problem is just where people make the money part the main if not only reason they're going.

Last edited by caffiend : 15th February 2008 at 15:34.
Old 15th February 2008, 16:00     #171
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
f
companies invest billions on advertising because it works! - people are conditioned to believe that they'll be happy when they've got the latest falcon or commodore, or a bigger house - or $10 000 entertainment system or holiday to Hawaii or whatever - the shit doesn't end.
this is such a retardo thing to say. i enjoy my flash sound system cos... i like quality music. the fuck has that got to do with "conditioning"? im conditioned to enjoy music at a higher level of quality then a pair of tinny ass speakers? im conditioned to enjoy zooming around in a fast car? im conditioned to believe that relaxing in my new spa pool is... relaxing? be less of a tool thanks. companies latch ONTO shit that people already enjoy and sell it, not the other way round.
Old 15th February 2008, 16:09     #172
Odysseus
Stray Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0nge
xcept many people have a mortgage instead of money,
and the majority of their time and attention is directed to their job instead of their family.
It means the same thing. If you have more money, then you can afford a better house. A mortgage is just a means to the same end.

Whether you spend more time working for the man instead of seeing your family, my perspective is that this could happen regardless of your income. If you have fuckall money and working two shifts to make ends meet for your family, you're just the same as if you spent 5 nights a week in your high rise office till 9pm.
Old 15th February 2008, 16:19     #173
a-tech

Aussie aint all that...

Geckos keeping me up at night.
Baked Beans looking like watties, but are actually heinz, and tasting crapper.
4 minute showers.
Constant sweaty butt crack.
Australians.
Being 3 months ahead on home and away so I've basically missed 3 months storyline....(thats the biggie).

:P
Old 15th February 2008, 16:46     #174
Trigger
Laserman

and you got no tf2
Old 15th February 2008, 16:49     #175
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger

You're equating money and the possession of, with the ability to be content with life. If the only way you can feel content is to feed the ego's desire to possess more, then sure, you'll believe money is the answer.

I earn far less money now in a year than I used to, but I'm so much happier and have so much TIME to myself which I can use to enjoy myself however I want.

When I was younger, I wanted to "retire by 30"... once I got to about 23, the reality of that goal was obvious. With the TIME I had left, it was going to be very difficult. Then it hit me - my ultimate goal was to actually be FREE FROM WORK, rather than have the most money in my bank by working the hardest/longest.

Instead of aiming to get a bank high score, I decided to take control of what is more scarce than money - my time.

Money will always be relative, but everyone has the same amount of time. I have enough money to buy what I need, including a few things I don't, but the rest of my time can be spent actually USING my toys, ENJOYING what I already own, and making progress with activities, thoughts and hobbies which enrich me as a person, rather than bettering my position as a mindless consumer.

No matter how much money you have, you've still only got 24 hours in a day - spend them wisely, because unlike money you can never get them back.
Old 15th February 2008, 17:08     #176
Trigger
Laserman

yeah you have limited time... hence you want to earn the most money for least time possible, in order to have more time to do the things you enjoy

fucken duh

durka durka jihad mohammad!

if your ideal 'enjoyment' time is spent playing computer games, or building train sets, you'll be happy working for 17c an hour

my ideal enjoyment time activity is to have sex with 12 lesbians on Mars in my 180ft² diamond-plated pool made of moon-rocks while snorting 3kg of cocaine
and I need just a little bit more money to afford that

Last edited by Trigger : 15th February 2008 at 17:12.
Old 15th February 2008, 17:36     #177
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

o_O

mmyeah, setting yourself up for huge disappointment...

The best things in life are free...

The rest is mainly bullshit consumerism.

Last edited by DrTiTus : 15th February 2008 at 17:38.
Old 15th February 2008, 17:49     #178
leadinjector

the best things in life might be free, but it costs to go and do those things on the beaches of hawaii. or mars.
Old 15th February 2008, 18:17     #179
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Best thing in life is living.

Better than living is living well.

Living well isn't free.
Old 15th February 2008, 18:50     #180
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Living well isn't free.
That entirely depends on your "World View".
Old 15th February 2008, 18:50     #181
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Such as?
Old 15th February 2008, 18:51     #182
Gentl e

Pooty tang?
Old 15th February 2008, 18:56     #183
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
That entirely depends on your "World View".
What the fuck does that even mean?

Pooty tang costs time niggah,
time is money!!
Old 15th February 2008, 19:02     #184
leadinjector

Quote:

so what do you count as the best things?

eating is pretty good. so is sleeping somewhere that isnt a gutter. also, sex is fun and condoms aint free (or children if you dont wanna splurge for the sacks)

im running out of neat things that are free here
Old 15th February 2008, 19:03     #185
Sp0nge

best thing in life is love

if people remembered that, instead of becoming all materialistic
we'd all be far better off.

family, friendship, learning, nature etc...
these are the best things in life
Old 15th February 2008, 19:06     #186
Sp0nge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
time is money!!
time is not money
time is time
money is money

if you knew you only had x amount of time left on earth
would you try to spend it all just making money?

if you knew youre gonna die tomorrow would you still go to work?
how about in a week? a month? or a year?

now tell me what matters more: time or money?

Last edited by Sp0nge : 15th February 2008 at 19:09.
Old 15th February 2008, 20:27     #187
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:

hahaha I actually laughed out loud

you're funny
Old 15th February 2008, 20:32     #188
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:

fuck yeah man, just the other day I was thinking about how much I'd love to go help plant some trees. that's free!
then I was gonna go voluteer at the old folks home, you know, help with wiping up old man poo
then I was just gonna look at some stars and write poems...

nigger please, you're posting on an online forum. is your computer and your internet access free?
I DIDN'T THINK SO
Old 15th February 2008, 23:09     #189
Genesis

Quote:
Aside from having more disposable income to buy more disposable plastic shit, can someone please tell me a genuine reason why "life is better" in Australia?
The list is too long and most of it has been covered in this thread. The big selling points for me are:

- Cheaper cost of living (my rent is cheaper and I live in a better place/area)
- Medicare rapes what-ever the fuck we have in NZ
- Super
- Government subsidies (i.e. rebates, incentives to do good things) are huge here
- Tax rebates
- Jobs pay better
- The sun
Old 16th February 2008, 03:14     #190
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
- Government subsidies (i.e. rebates, incentives to do good things) are huge here
Why should the government be subsidising business? They should stop all subsidies, become a small, cost effective government with little or no tax so that business operating in a free market can do everything.

/rightwing hat off.
Old 16th February 2008, 03:47     #191
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
The list is too long and most of it has been covered in this thread. The big selling points for me are:

- Cheaper cost of living (my rent is cheaper and I live in a better place/area)
- Medicare rapes what-ever the fuck we have in NZ
- Super
- Tax rebates
- Jobs pay better
Money money money money money money money...
Quote:
- The sun
Yeah I already said that...

Wow... awesome list not involving money there Genesis :/

Last edited by caffiend : 16th February 2008 at 03:49.
Old 16th February 2008, 04:30     #192
leadinjector

Quote:

yeah fuck ever doing anything eh, can live on beans but so long as you get to share your ragged cardboard hut with someone its all sweet eh? your missus must love you man
Old 16th February 2008, 05:08     #193
dead goon

he didn't say its bad to "do anything" he just stated what is more important in life.

his "missus" must love him, because she is probably more important to him than a new car or the latest iPhone.
Old 16th February 2008, 09:32     #194
Trigger
Laserman

"hey sp0nge hunny, let's go out for a romantic dinner"
"but you have to pay for that, and that's materialism and consumerism"

"ok let's go for a holiday somewhere other than our back yard"
"transport is for materialists, let's just walk to the park"

"why have we eaten grass for the last week"
"paying for food is consumerism, let's eat for free"

"it's getting dark and we no electricty or a house, better retreat to our secret shelter under the abandoned bridge"
"I hope we don't get raped again tonight"
"at least AIDS is free"
"I love you very very much hunny"
Old 16th February 2008, 11:41     #195
Reformed_Quint

Thank you, trigger

You've said all that i want to say.
Old 16th February 2008, 12:11     #196
Fx.

Quote:
Money money money money money money money...Yeah I already said that...

Wow... awesome list not involving money there Genesis :/
dont think he ever said the reason he went wasn't money?
Old 16th February 2008, 12:14     #197
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Ab, such as friendship, love, nature/the sun/ocean/plants/vegetables/fruit, health/fitness/exercise, the pursuit of knowledge (mathematics! ), meditation, enlightenment, HARI KRISHNA FOOD ON SUNDAYS, fish/seafood, music, dancing, sports, art, SHOWING love, BEING a friend, helping others to stop and see what they're missing...

Interestingly enough Trigger, I /have/ done work in a old folks home, I've planted trees (I love plants, I got two more aloe plants yesterday), I've worked at the homeless shelter, I have written poetry, and I do enjoy looking at the stars and thinking about life on this little spinning ball which provides nourishment for us all.

If you think my computer and internet are the best things in my life, you're confusing me with somebody else.
Old 16th February 2008, 12:24     #198
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

I forgot laughter!
Old 16th February 2008, 12:27     #199
crocos

Quote:

o/~
They say the best things in life are free
But you can give them to the birds and bees
o/~

But to my mind it's all about finding balance: You HAVE to be materialistic to a degree to do more then barely survive in this society, but it gets all rather bland if you don't do something other than exploit your fellow people - even if it's "just" friendship.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 16th February 2008 at 12:30.
Old 16th February 2008, 13:57     #200
leadinjector

pffft krishna food is fucking shit