User Name
Password

Old 3rd March 2009, 17:27     #1841
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
You were one step away from wolverine man
Just like lead is one step away from gold.
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:39     #1842
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Upgrading a customer and finding the thing that they have been complaining about being slow, runs 20-25x faster in the new version.
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:46     #1843
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
www.taxrefunds.co.nz

Just use them. No having to speak to people.
I've only ever been on salary (At least for the 6 year period) and got about $300 worth of refunds.
You don't have to do anything if you owe the IRD, as they only apply for refunds.
They take 15% of any refund awarded.
why use that when you can use the ird's own site which is simple as piss?
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:16     #1844
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

tax ref0wned
Old 4th March 2009, 18:19     #1845
Yoda

After a shit few days, nothing beats walking into daycare (I don't normally get to do the pick-up-drop-off events) and having your two year old drop what she's doing, stand up and loudly proclaim "THAT'S MY DAD!!" in a surprised, excited voice.

Yes, that fantastic little girl is mine, and I'm proud that she's proud of me.
Old 4th March 2009, 18:46     #1846
p01s0n

The postie didnt happen to be delivering letters to the daycare at the same time you were there?
Old 4th March 2009, 22:01     #1847
MadMax
Stuff

^ *groan*

oiler: the little shortcut i use every time i leave work that lets me jump a whole set of traffic that chooses to wait for the lights

and it works everytime. when i first started using it i tried going through the lights as usual a few times, but even when i see them green they change before i get there. always fun when i sit at the previous intersection giving way to a whole bunch of traffic only to end up ahead of them all around the corner.

even more fun when my bro, who now resides in auckland, just happened to be going through at the same time as me going out and i got back in front of him
Old 4th March 2009, 22:04     #1848
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
why use that when you can use the ird's own site which is simple as piss?
further to that, there was some outfit in the plaza doing tax refunds and of course charging you for it. i think i mentioned that in the gmg thread.
Old 4th March 2009, 23:42     #1849
Jonas Undrawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
The postie didnt happen to be delivering letters to the daycare at the same time you were there?
Youd be surprised how many toddlers see me and say "daddy!" when im in postie uniform. And the mother leaps into action to correct her child. Pretty funny, cute, but a little sad that the kid is confused about who Daddy is.
Old 5th March 2009, 01:20     #1850
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wink

And then you give the mother a sly wink, right?

Last edited by CCS : 5th March 2009 at 01:22.
Old 5th March 2009, 01:38     #1851
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Undrawing
Youd be surprised how many toddlers see me and say "daddy!" when im in postie uniform. And the mother leaps into action to correct her child. Pretty funny, cute, but a little sad that the kid is confused about who Daddy is.
Hahaha i've had a kid come up to me randomly in the street and start jumping up and down and calling me daddy, the mother looked mortified.

was awesome.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:17     #1852
flic
Dee Hast Mish

Are you implying that women out there are shagging posties? Or that the kids father is also a postie and he got confused?
Old 5th March 2009, 12:26     #1853
Cyberbob

I think it's more that they barely see their dad, so any adult male they see near the house is automatically the daddy figure.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:35     #1854
StN
I have detailed files

o_O

Must be a lot of husbands working on oil rigs.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:56     #1855
BillHague

Spurs 4 - 0 Middlesborough.

Booyah.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:49     #1856
Reformed_Quint

Workshop manual printed off and binded at work.

ahhhh the perks of a commercial printer.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:10     #1857
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Workshop manual printed off and binded at work.

ahhhh the perks of a commercial printer.

Heh, I read that as 'blinded' (it's 'bound', BTW) and was thinking you must have a really tolerant boss

Thank you RQ, you special engineer-dude, you.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:38     #1858
Reformed_Quint

damn wording >_<, Boss isn't tolerant, but he knows the score, i work hard and don't put in for the extra time i work, so he turns a blind eye to these kind of things

OMG Just buaght a set of CT12 C2 turbos. \o/.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:40     #1859
p01s0n

put them on yo computer fo dat mad tyte overclock case modz
Old 5th March 2009, 15:50     #1860
Reformed_Quint

Wonder what kind of clockspeed i could get with 14lb of boost O_O.

gears oiled, rebuild so far has cost me ~$900, thats with clutch kit and new turbos (rebuilt 20,000km ago). Just need to suss out my exhuast manifold and i'll be away, another ~800 for that and hopefully i'll get 180-190kw out of thee old girl.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:54     #1861
p01s0n

rig up some system to run 14psi over the heatsink, then when you run 3dmark03 to get your tyte score it will be like a dyno run where power ramps up to a peak and the video mic gets all distorted from the intake pitch and then its like PISHHHHhhhhh and it all winds down to sanity again.

I bet this is exactly how some neckbeards picture it in their head when they run 3dmark with their shonkily put together OC system.
Old 5th March 2009, 16:08     #1862
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

New bag of 4/0 circles and a new bag of crossline swivels omg.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:08     #1863
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
rig up some system to run 14psi over the heatsink.
Only problem is, this'd take alot of cats tapped together to get enough exhuast gas. mmmm maybe if i fed them some kidney beans.
Old 5th March 2009, 22:35     #1864
crocos

Trigger sez: Microwaving works!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th March 2009, 03:28     #1865
[WanG] Wandarah

Snagged Season Ticket holders passes to the Emirates for the FA game on Sunday - fuuuuuckin stoooooked
Old 7th March 2009, 13:03     #1866
ZengE

Having to wander around picking up these before I mow my lawn OMG's

Old 7th March 2009, 13:19     #1867
p01s0n

Getting WoFs first time o's my g's
Old 7th March 2009, 13:20     #1868
Helious

Quote:
Getting WoFs first time o's my g's
A Fucken Men
Old 7th March 2009, 13:44     #1869
Hurtuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZengE
Having to wander around picking up these before I mow my lawn OMG's

why?
Old 7th March 2009, 15:17     #1870
ZengE

Cos the blood gets into the blades of the mower if I leave them. Takes ages to get all the chopped meat 'n bones out of it as well ...
Old 7th March 2009, 16:19     #1871
Hurtuso

ima gonna tella Mario anda Yoshi!
Old 7th March 2009, 17:11     #1872
Macca@Work

getting a fuckimg game going that took me almost all fucking day to get going and nearly sending me postal..then learning the aus/nz versions of the game were flawed in the first place.
Old 7th March 2009, 20:54     #1873
JP

Adiago for strings. Still the only piece of classical music I listen to.

edit: Oh yeah, weed too. Fuck yeah....

Last edited by JP : 7th March 2009 at 20:57.
Old 7th March 2009, 20:58     #1874
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
Adiago for strings. Still the only piece of classical music I listen to.
That's a pretty modern piece too. Have you listened to much?
Old 7th March 2009, 21:39     #1875
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
That's a pretty modern piece too. Have you listened to much?
No, and yes I know i'm likely wrong. Of course I know the other famous pieces. But i've never really given classical a chance. I'm fairly open in my music tastes, but young and slowly moving backwards through trends. Trying to get into some Jazz and blues currently (man black people can sing), will get to classical eventually

And yes I know that sounds retarded. But refer to my above post, and also, I 100% believe you can learn to enjoy the best of any type of music. Well I can anyway.
Old 7th March 2009, 21:59     #1876
MadMax
Stuff

being paid a lot more for a perk job than i'm used to and being told not to argue with the sum
Old 8th March 2009, 02:16     #1877
Dweeb

Running to the top of my driveway naked and doing doing ten star jumps. Fuck yeah....

That shit felt good...
Old 8th March 2009, 10:35     #1878
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
No, and yes I know i'm likely wrong. Of course I know the other famous pieces. But i've never really given classical a chance. I'm fairly open in my music tastes, but young and slowly moving backwards through trends. Trying to get into some Jazz and blues currently (man black people can sing), will get to classical eventually

And yes I know that sounds retarded. But refer to my above post, and also, I 100% believe you can learn to enjoy the best of any type of music. Well I can anyway.
To each his own, for sure. What does it for you is what does it for you, and don't use words like wrong in this context, because it makes no sense. I'm not judging you. I'm just interested

A lot of modern symphonic/orchestral music is manky, discordant, and pretentious. The older stuff is often where you find the best melodies, and depending on the arrangement, the best over-all experience, though some just plain doesn't do the right things for me.

There is also really excellent modern orchestral music out there, and some non-orchestral music can be arranged into a really good orchestral sound by someone with ability. You have only to listen to movie scores to hear this.

I came into my musical taste by a different route than you, with parents into classical music and opera, as well as rock and pop, who in the 70s played a lot of very eclectic music, from the Beatles, to Mozart. They had on vinyl everything from Hendricks, right through to Jesus Christ Superstar, Edith Piaf, Abba, and Bizet. It was a funny mix, and I've ended up with a fairly bizarre taste in music.

The BEPs, Abba, Mozart, Rammstein, Tiesto, Metallica, Ella Fitzgerald, Bizet, and Barber (Adagio for Strings) are all names I've had on my ipod, so there's a fair range

I don't think we come into this world with fully formed musical leanings. Environment makes a huge difference IMO, as well as personal ability. I'd be interested to hear what you think of a few classical pieces that oil my gears, such as Au fond du temple saint from The Pearl Fishers by Bizet (raises the hairs on the back of my neck), or The Four Seasons, by Vivaldi, which I expect you may have heard but not marked in commercials and the like. You should be able to find them on YouTube if you're interested.

I think because I have zero musical talent myself I don't have the sort of ear that hears the technical aspects of music, so I'd come to it from a different point of view from a musician. To me big attractions are 'wall of sound' arrangements, really beautiful voices (so not so much the composition), and 'catchiness'. In the case of rock/pop/hip hop/trance/D'n'B the bass and rhythm are a big thing for me too.

If you're a musician that might seem trite or superficial, but it's the difference between music pushing my buttons or leaving me cold, sad little bugger that I am.

Music oils my gears, but is seriously mood- and context-driven.
Old 8th March 2009, 11:42     #1879
Jonas Undrawing

Not that i am debating that it exists, but I dont think "pretentious" is the right descriptive word for contemporary symphonic music. Maybe to describe some people who listen to it, sure. From a composer's point of view, you write a score and it becomes the most honest and stark representation of the piece. And in playing it, a symphony is usually more concerned about playing it right as opposed to adding unnecessary emotional gestures or stage antics (unless it is written in the score, which would then make it unpretentious). So you probably don't mean the composer or player are being pretentious.

Maybe you dont like the contemporary stuff because it makes you feel like if you fought and fought to eventually like the music, you would somehow not be true to yourself. Well, I'm just here to say something you already know, that people do honestly enjoy their music with discord and mankiness. The kicker is that some people think the straight-ahead, harmonically / melodically "correct" music is pretentious because of it's formulaic nature restricting the wonder of human expression.
Old 8th March 2009, 12:32     #1880
lektronimo

^ Like srsly, when does syncopation become a polyrhythm?