Password

Old 28th July 2011, 12:59     #1681
Lightspeed

This looks like it's worth a lol:
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/battleship.html
Old 28th July 2011, 13:08     #1682
Ajax
Architeuthis

Coming soon: Connect Four: The Movie. Starring Helen Mirren as 'The Yellow Counter' and Dustin Hoffman as 'The Red Counter'.
Old 28th July 2011, 15:02     #1683
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
inb4 pepsi!
Old 29th July 2011, 13:34     #1684
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
This is just mind-numbingly retarded. To think that Universal cancelled Guillermo del Toro/James Cameron's $200m adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness in favour of this dreck.
Old 29th July 2011, 13:40     #1685
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Coming soon: Connect Four: The Movie. Starring Helen Mirren as 'The Yellow Counter' and Dustin Hoffman as 'The Red Counter'.
Would still fap to HM.
Old 29th July 2011, 14:42     #1686
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Would still fap to HM.
You = old man
Old 29th July 2011, 14:52     #1687
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

watched your highness the other night, was a good mindless chuckle ... James Franco is the anti funny

Last edited by wugambino : 29th July 2011 at 14:53.
Old 29th July 2011, 15:35     #1688
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
watched your highness the other night, was a good mindless chuckle
That movie proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that I am a 14 year old boy at heart. Most dispiriting.
Old 29th July 2011, 15:49     #1689
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Looks almost Michael Bayish- did I see the famous Pearl Habour / Tansformers stock battleship scene in there?
Old 29th July 2011, 15:50     #1690
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
You = old man
WE HOLD THIS TRUTH TO BE SELF-EVIDENT...
Old 30th July 2011, 14:42     #1691
Simon K

Don't bother with the 3D version of Captain America. It's not dire but "something" was missing so it's not great. As usual, stay til after the credits
Old 30th July 2011, 14:49     #1692
Deadmeat

Presumably what was missing was actually filming it in 3d.
Old 30th July 2011, 17:38     #1693
Simon K

Agreed, there is a review on stuff which sums it up well.

Disjointed.
Old 30th July 2011, 18:56     #1694
Lightspeed

New Conan clip, pretty sweet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXniszN2SWQ
Old 30th July 2011, 19:33     #1695
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
That movie proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that I am a 14 year old boy at heart.
you wanted to rub one out over Natalie protman?
Old 30th July 2011, 22:54     #1696
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
New Conan clip, pretty sweet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXniszN2SWQ
huge. ta
Old 31st July 2011, 01:47     #1697
IceFox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqBGh2kMiac
Another Earth
Old 31st July 2011, 14:43     #1698
Nich

Saw Breathing at the film festival last night. My favourite so far from the festival.
Old 31st July 2011, 15:47     #1699
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
inb4 pepsi!
Will definitely take the opportunity to watch him on the big screen.. In the cinema, Pee Wee Herman styles...
Old 31st July 2011, 23:38     #1700
yaksman

Couple of NZFF movies under the belt, couple more to go.

Tree Of Life. I thought it was great. Pulled on a few familiar strings (that my female colleague didn't get - if you're a guy I am sure it'll resonate a little more within you than being female), was a very open movie, very well constructed, a little self-indulgent in some areas, bit of a brain bender, but so subtle in places that it was brilliant. The religious subplot could be interpreted either way which was good as I don't do *it*. 8.5/10 - would have rated it higher if it wasn't *quite* so self-indulgent (on the directors behalf)

Bobby Fischer against the world - I had thoughts as to what this movie should have been (as I've followed Fischer for a while) if it was to be made by a run-of-the-mill director and it turned out as such plot-wise. I really wish it had of gotten all Mark Twain with his political views, why he gave up Chess and so on. But a well constructed, funny, sad, awkward and brilliant narrative. Far more weight behind it than I expected. 8/10 if you are in to quirky doco's. Recommended, female half of the crew was well impressed. Points off for not getting in to his Game of the Century. Seriously, really? You leave *that* out!!

The two left to see are If A Tree Fell and Senna, I had another 15 on a short list but just couldn't get the down time to see them all, so picked the roaring favourites.
Old 1st August 2011, 00:10     #1701
Furry Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksman
Couple of NZFF movies under the belt, couple more to go.

Tree Of Life. I thought it was great. Pulled on a few familiar strings (that my female colleague didn't get - if you're a guy I am sure it'll resonate a little more within you than being female), was a very open movie, very well constructed, a little self-indulgent in some areas, bit of a brain bender, but so subtle in places that it was brilliant. The religious subplot could be interpreted either way which was good as I don't do *it*. 8.5/10 - would have rated it higher if it wasn't *quite* so self-indulgent (on the directors behalf)

Bobby Fischer against the world - I had thoughts as to what this movie should have been (as I've followed Fischer for a while) if it was to be made by a run-of-the-mill director and it turned out as such plot-wise. I really wish it had of gotten all Mark Twain with his political views, why he gave up Chess and so on. But a well constructed, funny, sad, awkward and brilliant narrative. Far more weight behind it than I expected. 8/10 if you are in to quirky doco's. Recommended, female half of the crew was well impressed. Points off for not getting in to his Game of the Century. Seriously, really? You leave *that* out!!

The two left to see are If A Tree Fell and Senna, I had another 15 on a short list but just couldn't get the down time to see them all, so picked the roaring favourites.
Senna is brilliant....go see/pirate it!

Old 1st August 2011, 16:25     #1702
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
You = old man
He's actually over-taken me since he had kids.
Old 1st August 2011, 16:29     #1703
Cyberbob

Arthur

Russell Brand plays a spoiled rich dude, about to lose everything if he doesn't marry Jennifer Garner's forehead. Bonus Helen Mirren for Ab.

I liked it.
Old 1st August 2011, 19:54     #1704
ceer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Arthur

Russell Brand plays a spoiled rich dude, about to lose everything if he doesn't marry Jennifer Garner's forehead. Bonus Helen Mirren for Ab.

I liked it.
Wouldn't be as good as the original would it? Dudley was hilarious.
Old 2nd August 2011, 23:43     #1705
ceer

Not really a "recommend"...but Samuel J....really? Arena Trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yj4...layer_embedded
Old 3rd August 2011, 03:22     #1706
cryocore

One movie I am very much looking forward to

Dont be Afraid of the Dark
Trailer 2

A remake of a little known and quite decent TV horror from the 70's. This looks to be a major improvement over the original. Better budget, efx, and scarier as its R rated and not made for TV. The fact the Tel Toro wrote and produced it only adds to its potential.

Last edited by cryocore : 3rd August 2011 at 03:25.
Old 3rd August 2011, 04:58     #1707
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceer
Wouldn't be as good as the original would it? Dudley was hilarious.
Mainly because this is the 21st century and as we all know ALCOHOLISM ISN'T FUNNY. So the remake's Arthur isn't a drunk.
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:15     #1708
tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Mainly because this is the 21st century and as we all know ALCOHOLISM ISN'T FUNNY. So the remake's Arthur isn't a drunk.
Serious?
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:10     #1709
Furry Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Umm...I've seen the movie...he gets pretty smashed quiet a few times.

Nowhere near as classy as Dudley Moore thou....and the man play a mean piano to boot.

Old 5th August 2011, 15:03     #1710
leadinjector

probably been mentioned before, but just watched limitless the other day. quite enjoyable, and pretty. i also liked how the love story was very much a footnote and the movie was about the movie not a stupid fucking relationship like so many movies have devolved into now (transformers franchise for example)
Old 5th August 2011, 16:13     #1711
Savage

Burn Notice - The Fall of Sam Axe

Cheesy awesomeness. Bruce Campbell is still the fkn man

[edit]It is a prequel to the Burn Notice series, so pays to have watched at least some of it to get the background of the movie.

Last edited by Savage : 5th August 2011 at 16:15.
Old 10th August 2011, 14:23     #1712
doppelgänger of someone

Thumbs down

Sucker Punch: DON'T BOTHER. It is a mess. I can buy that it is a prison escape movie, girls freeing themselves from the clutches of evil men. But why are those girls fighting WWI, samurai, dragon and robots??? WHY WHY WHY???

It is like Zach Synder is afraid to do a straight up escape movie, so he added all those CGI 'symbolisms' in there to 'spice things up'. No they do not, the CGI sequences looked like they are there to keep CGI makers employed, and no more. In the end, the whole is LESS than sum of its parts.
Old 10th August 2011, 15:17     #1713
dylan
Huh?

Yeah, was really disappointed by it too. In fact it's one of the few movies in recent times I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Few weeks later I found myself on a plane and the guy next to me was watching it on his in flight entertainment thingy, I kept getting drawn over to his screen and thinking "man that looks like such an interesting and cool movie - even though I know it's not"
Old 10th August 2011, 16:37     #1714
Cowboy

The plot was certainly weak but the CGI scenes were good (If ridiculously fanciful )
Old 10th August 2011, 16:39     #1715
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
The plot was certainly weak but the CGI scenes were good (If ridiculously fanciful )
I thought ridiculously fanciful was the goal .. could tell that from the trailer, so expected as much. Wasn't dissappointed.

Shoot em up probably also fits the same catergory, but its name kinda gave it away :P

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 10th August 2011, 16:43     #1716
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah, so I expect this BluRay to be on the bench when I get home - as long as I go into it expecting a comic book movie with nice CGI and me with a skinfull of ale I should be alright?
Old 10th August 2011, 16:50     #1717
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Yeah, so I expect this BluRay to be on the bench when I get home - as long as I go into it expecting a comic book movie with nice CGI and me with a skinfull of ale I should be alright?
Pretty much .... its just full of fanboi neat stuff/wow I wanna see giant samurais fighting hot girls etc etc...

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 10th August 2011, 17:07     #1718
PhX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Pretty much .... its just full of fanboi neat stuff/wow I wanna see giant samurais fighting hot girls etc etc...
Thats pretty much it, i dont think it ever tried to be anything else --> hot chicks smashing shit up Was worth just watching with a few beers zoning out
Old 10th August 2011, 19:09     #1719
StN
I have detailed files

Sounds like a plan - 12 yr old boy will probably think it's awesome!

No beers for him though
Old 10th August 2011, 22:11     #1720
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah, so the only complain of product I have is that nubile hotties with machine guns should have an accurate physics engine behind the jiggle.