User Name
Password

Old 10th September 2009, 17:45     #16441
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
~ I can't find minimize all button to look on my desktop
Yeh, you need to lose the Windows mindset eh.

Helpful tip - go to System Settings and Expose/Spaces config and set yourself some hot corners. I have TL (Top Left) to show desktop, BL=All windows, TR=screensaver, BR=spaces. But you can configure that how you like to work.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:57     #16442
BaM
Freeloader

I use F11 to show the desktop - pretty sure it's the default (might need [fn] depending on your f-key preferences).
Old 10th September 2009, 18:18     #16443
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I disable the desktop - I have no reason to ever look at it.
Old 10th September 2009, 18:21     #16444
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaM
Holy crap. You don't read instructions much do you?

P.S. learn to adapt.
I had to google "how wide does my asshole need to be for OSX?" then engadget.com came up. Afterward I gave up, and concluded that if something is not obvious to a technically adept person, then its a design flaw. But it looks pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I disable the desktop - I have no reason to ever look at it.
Because it's a uni computer and our intranet (file storage place, not sure what it's technically called) is a slow and unreliable POS, the most convenient way of saving large files is on the desktop then to my USB key. How do you go about switching it off? Or in fact, any of those points earlier - how do I make it work better?

Last edited by lektronimo : 10th September 2009 at 18:25.
Old 10th September 2009, 18:21     #16445
Helious

lol @ mac users!
Old 10th September 2009, 20:12     #16446
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Your PC is ghetto
Old 10th September 2009, 20:25     #16447
Helious

you're ghetto ;( scratch me out~
Old 10th September 2009, 20:42     #16448
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
...concluded that if something is not obvious to a technically adept person...

Because it's a uni computer and our intranet (file storage place, not sure what it's technically called)...
What was that about technically adept?

Seriously, most of the shit you've whined about even the most grandma user would have figured out by now, Especially after a few months.

As Whippy has said, get out of the windows mindset
Old 10th September 2009, 20:57     #16449
lektronimo

Windows mindset or not, OSX is a clusterfuck of window management. Time better spent doing work rather then googling for trivial answers. Like delete key not actually deleting selected files, or how to do a print screen (yea, I googled it, and guess what, windows keyboard has a single grandma friendly print screen button).

To sum it up, OSX grinds my gears.

Last edited by lektronimo : 10th September 2009 at 20:58.
Old 10th September 2009, 21:07     #16450
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
any of those points earlier - how do I make it work better?
I'll have a crack, see if anyone else can help out:

Quote:
~ Selecting a file on desktop, then clicking delete on keypad doesn't do shit - cmd-delete
~ When I open a folder with heaps of photos, there are only two or three views with coverflow being the most fucking useless. Rest are too small unless I resize the window... I find icon view works best. Right-click and choose show view options, then change the icon size. Snow leopard has a slider right on the finder window.
~ ... which conveniently isn't done by double clicking a window anywhere near the top option-click plus
~ When photoshop with gray background is open, there is no easy way to look at files on your desktop/blank desktop except by minimizing it into the dock... F11, or swipe up on the touchpad with three fingers on the new macbooks, or pick a corner like Whippy said
~ ... which is inconsistent. Some files, and folders open on the r/h side but others open in their dock shortcut place. So when you have multiple programs open and a dock with heaps of icons on a high res monitor, you can't glance at open programs but have to squint and look for little blue dot. Can't help you with the blue dot - it look super-obvious to me. Stuff with a shortcut in the dock opens in place in the dock, anything without a dock shortcut opens over on the right
~ Mac mouse is a fucking POS. Can't help you there. Try another mouse? Any USB mouse will do.
~ Mouse sensitivity is not sensitive enough at highest setting (unless it's to do with point above) Pass - I don't use a mouse
~ When deleting stuff from Trash, it doesn't tell me how many things are being deleted (!!!!) Pass
~ You can't resize windows from any corner, only the bottom one. Meh
~ Where is the fucking date on my clock? I use F12 to check the date
~ When you close a window in programs, it lowers it in your dock but keeps it open (wtf!?), but when you close a folder it closes it (wtf!?!) cmd-Q, or file/quit. Finder never closes unless you force it, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there
~ I still can't figure out what that up arrow keyboard button is (up?) So when I'm working with PS, I have no clue what to press to start a shortcut. Shift
~ Pressing Alt + D in FF won't highlight my address bar. cmd-L
~ I just realized Preview was turned on. I have no idea how that happened because indication for active programs is too fucking small. Blue dot again, and preview is hardly a resource hog
~ Pressing 'end' doesn't go to end of line in FF ctrl-e & ctr-a. That's an emacs thing.
~ Having to constantly go to the upper part of the screen (24" I think) just to select something when the window is not in fullscreen (and sitting much lower then task bar at the top) is a pain in the ass, especially when the mouse is a piece of shit, and sensitivity is useless. Pass
~ There is no easy way to rename a file, you have to hold a button on the letters and accidentally open another 1.3GB TIFF (!!!) return key. cmd-down arrow to launch
~ I can't find minimize all button to look on my desktop F11 again
~ You have to enlarge the icon just to see the file name if it's on the edge of your screen Huh?
~ When arrange to grid is activated, closest the file is from the edge of your screen is 1-2cm, because the file name is written on the RH side of the icon. Fucking waste of space, then when you turn off arrange to grid and push your icon to the edge, your writing goes away with it. Show view options again. Label position = bottom
~ Mac key + Tab doesn't show open system settings, and if the program is minimized then once you mac+tab it, it does shit. In fact, if you open system settings and have it sit behind a window you have no idea if its open or not. Only once you minimize it, it goes in that active spot in the Dock. Try cmd-tilde if you lose a window behind another one, or set up expose on a F-key
~Even with 8 cores, it takes several minutes to flatten an 850mb tiff. pass

Last edited by BaM : 10th September 2009 at 21:12.
Old 10th September 2009, 21:17     #16451
Helious

I've got a text document called BaM.txt it's dated Sunday, ‎25 ‎March ‎2007

I used to use it for a problem that used to fuck me off no end with a particular application. I don't use that application anymore, but ho-ly shit that advice was golden.

strange thing is is that it feels way more than 2.5 years ago

BaM
Old 10th September 2009, 21:41     #16452
lektronimo

Wicked cool, I'll give those a go tomorrow.

Quote:
~ You have to enlarge the icon just to see the file name if it's on the edge of your screen Huh?
I think that can be fixed with label at the bottom. When the icon size is tiny, the label gets shortened very quickly, so 01_16bit_aRGB_12345.tif becomes 01_1...tif. I found the only way to 'fix' it is to enlarge the icon size so I can read the whole thing.

Quote:
~ I still can't figure out what that up arrow keyboard button is (up?) So when I'm working with PS, I have no clue what to press to start a shortcut. Shift
You saved me heaps of time trying to google this little bit.

Quote:
Can't help you with the blue dot - it look super-obvious to me. Stuff with a shortcut in the dock opens in place in the dock, anything without a dock shortcut opens over on the right
That's the problem - not everything which is open shows in dock, unless you minimize it. Open your control panel and open another window and place it over it. No indication it's there, but if you minimize it then it goes on r/h side of the dock.

About the blue dots, maybe I'm going blind or maybe it's just not clear enough on 24" screen I don't know.
Old 10th September 2009, 23:34     #16453
Hazmat
I Like Toast

For the clock go to Date & Time prefs (just click the time to bring this up). Click the "clock" tab and select "show date" under 'Date options"
Old 11th September 2009, 00:19     #16454
jsr
On the moon we have 5 thousand

~ Tried to edit something, no edlin. WTF? Christ!
~ Where the FUCK is the start button?
~ Wanted to change a registry key, seems to not be an option. What kind of modern OS doesn't have a sort of access database thing living in its guts like a mutant tapeworm? GG Apple. GG.
~ Dell monitor does not match MBP case. THANKS A BUNCH, STEVE JOBS YOU CUNT.
Old 11th September 2009, 01:13     #16455
H4X0R 5UPR3M0

people with fucked up priorities, GMG!!!!!
Old 11th September 2009, 08:20     #16456
p01s0n

~ only one button?! what the hell???.
Old 11th September 2009, 08:41     #16457
Bandalador

For the icon name/detail thing, are you talking about on your desktop? If so have you tried increasing the grid spacing in view options?
Old 11th September 2009, 08:50     #16458
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalador
For the icon name/detail thing, are you talking about on your desktop? If so have you tried increasing the grid spacing in view options?
Yep, that's exactly what I've done for my desktop in order to see my full file names. When the label or file are on the r/h side, then my writing goes off screen, or when the grid is set to a smaller size the label gets truncated. I'll try to move the label on the bottom today, and see if that helps.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:06     #16459
Thomas Meatball

Mighty mac mouse is unergonomic and looks like a tampon.

End.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:20     #16460
p01s0n

tampons are not wireless. epice faile detected in sector 68937
Old 11th September 2009, 10:24     #16461
Thomas Meatball

Looks pretty fucking wired to me. If that's not called the mighty mouse then I don't give a shit. It's a mac mouse and it looks like a tampon.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:31     #16462
p01s0n

sh'yea, its wired i guess....if you got the scrub version

http://store.apple.com/nz/product/MB...mco=Nzk3NjI3Mw

l8a suckaz
*cripwalks the fuck outta this thread with stunnaz on*
Old 11th September 2009, 10:37     #16463
Thomas Meatball

But p01s0n, how do you retrieve your t... mouse when you're done if it don't got no string attached?

In other gear grind news, Borders vouchers for people on their mailing list. They're fucken shit now. They used to do 50% off and, y'know at least 30% off quite often but they've been shit like "2 cookbooks for the price of 1" for all of this year. Bunch of cuntrinds. I know the reason will be "O it's a recession!~" but their stock is all overpriced anyway. FUCK THE COUCH IN YOUR IN-STORE CAFE, BORDERS!
Old 11th September 2009, 16:25     #16464
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

client: i have this awesome idea for opening my website to australian customers.
us: ok, well quote you on that

client (before getting our quote): ok lets do it
us: ok, dont you want a quote tho?
client: nah, just do it. oh, and before the weekend.
us: errr-
client: cant you just enable australia?
Old 11th September 2009, 16:43     #16465
flic
Dee Hast Mish

Australia doesn't need any more enablers!
Old 11th September 2009, 18:13     #16466
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meatball
But p01s0n, how do you retrieve your t... mouse when you're done if it don't got no string attached?

In other gear grind news, Borders vouchers for people on their mailing list. They're fucken shit now. They used to do 50% off and, y'know at least 30% off quite often but they've been shit like "2 cookbooks for the price of 1" for all of this year. Bunch of cuntrinds. I know the reason will be "O it's a recession!~" but their stock is all overpriced anyway. FUCK THE COUCH IN YOUR IN-STORE CAFE, BORDERS!
Note to self, CCMeatball scrolls around borders for books.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:45     #16467
Thomas Meatball

Note to self: give police xor's name first when someone is knocking on my door and running away.
Old 11th September 2009, 20:06     #16468
xor

lol it wouldn't just be me and we don't knock on doors

RQ wants to try out his bukakke skills
Old 12th September 2009, 00:12     #16469
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Amateurish advertising. The Auckland uni (?) ads with some f-grade "celebrity" interviewing supposed students "making their mark" and the URL at the end is makeyourmark.oc.nz (sic).

Fucking clowns.
Old 12th September 2009, 01:29     #16470
Nightcrawler

Tailgaters grind my gears
Asshole started tailgating me, so I braked quite sharply (dumb move, but hey). It was pretty funny seeing his reaction in my mirror, but then he put on his high beams and started following closer
I slowed right down to 20 km/h. There was no one behind him, so it was no skin off my nose.
Asshole doesn't get a clue, so I slowed down to 10 km/h and kept it at around that speed for the 10 minutes it took us to get up the road

I enjoyed myself thoroughly, gave him a wave and a smile as we went our separate ways
Old 12th September 2009, 01:35     #16471
QWERTY?

seriously, how the hell do you live? everything in your life is a drama.
Old 12th September 2009, 01:42     #16472
Nightcrawler

I've given up trying to work that out, and have decided to just post on NZG about it
Old 12th September 2009, 02:38     #16473
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
lol it wouldn't just be me and we don't knock on doors

RQ wants to try out his bukakke skills
Yeah, well... it'll still be your name I give to the cops
Old 12th September 2009, 02:59     #16474
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Amateurish advertising. The Auckland uni (?) ads with some f-grade "celebrity" interviewing supposed students "making their mark" and the URL at the end is makeyourmark.oc.nz (sic).

Fucking clowns.
It's for Fulton Hogan.
Old 12th September 2009, 03:00     #16475
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY?
seriously, how the hell do you live? everything in your life is a drama.
I'm pretty sure everyone would look as drama-entrenched as NC if they posted every single thing that happened to them that wasn't roses.

For instance, today I had to wait 20 minutes for a bus. It was terrible.
Old 12th September 2009, 03:07     #16476
HughMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meatball
Yeah, well... it'll still be your name I give to the cops
I see you're afraid of being found out over there ay? It bothers you that someone might now have a lead on you, maybe we'll actually get to see a real picture of you, rather than just more George. I wonder if xor is really determined enough to go through with it, probably not. Still, it would bother you to have a stalker who was really seriously stalking you, wouldn't it?

Do forgive me if I've misunderstood.
Old 12th September 2009, 03:44     #16477
Thomas Meatball

You know we're both kidding around, right? As, I'm sure, you are too.

Weirdo.
Old 12th September 2009, 04:31     #16478
HughMann

Sure sure buddy, you just tell yourself whatever you need to. Just think whatever it is that makes you comfortable man. Go right ahead. It's okay.
Old 12th September 2009, 12:25     #16479
Thomas Meatball

Hey guy, I'm trying to set you straight. Don't get all bitter.
Old 12th September 2009, 12:40     #16480
combatspoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Tailgaters grind my gears
Asshole started tailgating me, so I braked quite sharply (dumb move, but hey). It was pretty funny seeing his reaction in my mirror, but then he put on his high beams and started following closer
I slowed right down to 20 km/h. There was no one behind him, so it was no skin off my nose.
Asshole doesn't get a clue, so I slowed down to 10 km/h and kept it at around that speed for the 10 minutes it took us to get up the road

I enjoyed myself thoroughly, gave him a wave and a smile as we went our separate ways
This, plus people who only tail-gate you in 50km/h zones.

Got tail-gated last night all through one town in a 50 zone, get to the area between two towns which is a hill, windy, 80km/h zone, I'm expecting thw guy to blow past me as soon as it opens up to two lanes, but somehow he winds up way behind me by the end of the hill, and I wasn't even driving quickly.

Get to the next 50 zone, and suddenly he's back up my ass again.

What, doing close to 60 too slow for you?

Fuckkk offfffff.