Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 2nd September 2009, 21:45     #16361
jsr
On the moon we have 5 thousand

Quote:
Originally Posted by flic
in the real world you just have to find a way to get along. It's part of work and part of learning how to communicate with people that are different to yourself. I doubt your boss will fire every russian you end up working with
In the real world, if you'd tried to sort it out and couldn't, and management didn't want to know about it, you'd just quit the toxic job and go someplace else. Clearly not an option in this case.
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:03     #16362
Nightcrawler

Yeah, unfortunately. We basically had/have the option of dropping out and repeating the project paper next year (it's a year-long paper), or just drop out of the bachelor completely
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:41     #16363
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Haha, sounds fun He did interrupt me today while we were talking. I told him fairly strongly that we've asked him before to stop interrupting us. He then interrupts me again while I'm asking him not to interrupt me
That's when you get in real close, point in his face and say "Shut the fuck up or I'll make sure you talk with a fucking lisp for the rest of your life"
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:52     #16364
Foggerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr
In the real world, if you'd tried to sort it out and couldn't, and management didn't want to know about it, you'd just quit the toxic job and go someplace else. Clearly not an option in this case.
While I realise its not really an option in this case, I've got to go with jsr. In the "real world", hopefully, management (your tutors) would realise what a tard this guy is and fire his ass, otherwise leave because the situation isn't going to change.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by escalating it though, hope it works out. I think your tutor needs to realise that some people just cannot be reasoned with *angry/frustrated emoticon goes here*
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:54     #16365
Foggerty

Oh, and most every other Russian I've met has been cool!

(And mad)

Don't hate on the russians!
Old 3rd September 2009, 00:58     #16366
Nightcrawler

The reason I mentioned he was Russian is due to their different work ethic and mentality. When we have brought up these issues with our client, he would always joke and mostly excuse it because of this.. so yeah
Old 3rd September 2009, 02:11     #16367
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
The reason I mentioned he was Russian is due to their different work ethic and mentality. When we have brought up these issues with our client, he would always joke and mostly excuse it because of this.. so yeah
Granted, I don't know the relationship you have with your client, but it seems rather odd to me that you'd be discussing internal politics with a client? They don't care man - their job is to require something of you, not be a shoulder to cry on when your team is a pack of assholes.

I wonder if the rest of your group are all on your side regarding this? If so, why not cut this guy off. You've done the best you can trying to tolerate him, now delete him from your mailing list and get everyone else to work a little harder and get some shit sorted.

This said, I appreciate group projects in a tertiary education scenario can be a lot more fucked than IRL - at least when I was in groups and couldn't be fucked I had the decency to just stay the hell out of everyone elses way and didn't try to take their credit. At the same time, I've had group projects where everone else didn't have a clue and relied on me to get them through. What I've learned (and applied to real life) is: sometimes you have to cut your losses and accept that you're not going to be able to salvage a situation, and it's better to be one of the rats that got off early than the captain going down with his ship. Too bad you didn't quit the course/paper (for this year at least) when it was early enough you might have gotten a refund.

(tbh kinda surprised you did stick with it this long, seem to recall you complaining about troublesome group members waaay ages back)
Old 3rd September 2009, 02:51     #16368
Nightcrawler

Thanks for your post
Our "client" is actually a member of AUT staff, so we have a very odd relationship (in regards to a normal client-contractor relationship). This has actually caused issues as we began to get confused as to whether we should consult him or our supervisor.

We had 4 group members. 1 went back to Germany in the second semester, and took pretty much all his work with him. Him leaving was known about since the start, and we had a process in place for him to pass over his server/work/research, but that hasn't happened. Supervisor/client have not commented on this, and have pretty much refused to voice an opinion when asked.

Him and the other group member (excluding myself and the Russian) are extremely passive. Passive to the point that they consider any disagreement to be group conflict, and as such I get labeled as a troublemaker for voicing an opinion (regardless of it being justified).

Cutting my losses was something I really did not want to do. I don't want to spend another year at uni when I'm already 24
My letter is onto 2.5 pages now, pretty much going through the project bit by bit and highlighting various conflicts and communication breakdowns - both on mine, the Russian's, the group's, and our client/supervisor's part.
Following this, I plan to base my final reflective report pretty much solely on the aspects of group dynamics and the experience I've gained from this project. Discuss what I've learnt, how I attempted various conflict resolutions, what I did wrong, and so on. The head of the project tutors has said that mistakes are good, as long as we can identify and build from them

Now to be all emo and shit: this project stuff is getting to me to the point that I was shaking with frustration and rage since the presentation for many hours, and tonight I'm feeling incredibly depressed

Last edited by Nightcrawler : 3rd September 2009 at 02:54.
Old 3rd September 2009, 03:05     #16369
HughMann

Well man, look on the bright side, you're only 24, and if you have to do another year, you'll still only be 25. I'm 28 and I'm only just in my first semester now.

I've worked with some Russian folks at Telecom and they've had awesome work ethic and been really great to deal with as well. I think it depends to a certain extent on the individual you're dealing with.

Have you incorporated any communication theory, group dynamics or psych stuff into your reflective report? They may be useful to reference when you're talking about conflict resolution strategies you've tried. Perhaps if you think there really is culture conflict it might be worth looking into some inter-cultural communication stuff too. I can point you to a few sources if you like.

Are you based in the Wellesley campus? Maybe I'll see you round there sometime.

Last edited by HughMann : 3rd September 2009 at 03:07.
Old 3rd September 2009, 05:18     #16370
Nightcrawler

I haven't started my reflective report yet, but will do so soon. Still working on the letter (of complaint, I guess) - 4.5 pages so far
Will definitely incorporate strategies and all that, just need to get started on it heh.

Yeah I'm at Wellesley. What qualification are you doing? If you want, flick me an email! leotra15
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:33     #16371
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Reverse fat-tax?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10594901

Now I'm all for subsidized healthy food for those with little care for healthy eating but...erm... does this mean that I'd pay fat tax on my foods?
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:48     #16372
QWERTY?

where did they pull the $100,000 cost to the government number from, what a crock, even just 2 people working on this is atleast a 100k incurred cost, perhaps they got it wrong and it's meant to be $10,000,000 which seems like a far more reasonable number.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:06     #16373
crocos

I hereby retitle this thread as "Nightcrawler's got problems"

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:21     #16374
p01s0n

can we go for a more subtle title? maybe something like "crocos has no hair".
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:49     #16375
xor

There are two wood pigeons that sit outside my bedroom window and coo to each other from about 6am every morning. I want to kill them with a slingshot and serve them up for dinner.
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:03     #16376
QWERTY?

if I only I still lived in NZ

I could use my customary right and rid you of said native flying chickens.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:25     #16377
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Yeah, good idea.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:25     #16378
p01s0n

and the winner for most descriptive fault 2009 goes to..

Old 3rd September 2009, 16:58     #16379
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I hereby retitle this thread as "Nightcrawler's got problems"
Says the guy who has the most posts in this thread after CCS.
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:11     #16380
?>Superman

^ooooh
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:22     #16381
Helious

there's some real lifers on this forum.
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:36     #16382
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Says the guy who has the most posts in this thread after CCS.
You're quite right: We should entitle it "Thomas Meatball's Got problems"

Old 3rd September 2009, 17:39     #16383
Thomas Meatball

Not really. My posts are mostly me making fun of other peoples problems, including your lack of hair.

Have you ever thought about gluing your pubes to your head?
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:40     #16384
buckies

Quote:
I haven't started my reflective report yet, but will do so soon. Still working on the letter (of complaint, I guess) - 4.5 pages so far
Will definitely incorporate strategies and all that, just need to get started on it heh.

Yeah I'm at Wellesley. What qualification are you doing? If you want, flick me an email! leotra15
Are you a eunuch by any chance?
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:43     #16385
Helious

Upon review I feel that Nightcrawler suffers from an undiagnosed mental illness - and that's all good bro. Take steps to sort it out. You're quite the victim.
Old 4th September 2009, 10:32     #16386
Perfk
snakes & ladders

being told I'm "too senior"
either gotta mean I'm too damn old, or they just plain don't want to hire me
*sigh*
sounded like a great company to get into as well
Old 4th September 2009, 10:39     #16387
A Corpse
talkative lurker

It means they're worried that you'll either get bored or go to another job where you'll get paid what you're worth.

Still sucks though. You can't exactly counter with "No, I'm happy working for low pay for your simple little outfit!"
Old 4th September 2009, 11:12     #16388
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
It means they're worried that your biological clock is ticking, and just after they train you up you'll leave to pop sprogs.
Old 4th September 2009, 11:43     #16389
flic
Dee Hast Mish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meatball

Have you ever thought about gluing your pubes to your head?

I doubt they're long enough
Old 4th September 2009, 12:34     #16390
Thomas Meatball

What, you reckon he shaves them or something? They'd be good for at least a number 2. Besides, his pubes are probably down to his knees.
Old 4th September 2009, 13:59     #16391
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfk
being told I'm "too senior"
either gotta mean I'm too damn old, or they just plain don't want to hire me
*sigh*
sounded like a great company to get into as well
More than likely it means "You're too smart / good at what you do and we don't want you showing us up (we lied on our CVs. Our managers think we're brilliant)"

Had that at a few companies I interviewed with down here.
"Er, I'm no more senior than my C.V. states and you brought me in for an interview based on that. It can't be my age cos I look early 20s and have done since well, my early 20s"
Old 4th September 2009, 22:56     #16392
chiQ
Frag-muff

Really fucking bad day. It was my first day back at work after a week out of action with my back locked up. After an hour my back and right arm were burning, I dealt with some seriously stupid people, and at the end of that I had to walk a kilometre to pick up a car from the mechanic, then clean the kitchen, and then do laundry, and then cook dinner, and then go to the supermarket, where they'd run out of what I wanted.

I'm so fucking finished with today. My arm's about to fall off....I hope.
Old 4th September 2009, 23:02     #16393
[BT]Monza

Ouch chiQ, that is a super shite day. But have to agree nothing GMG more than finally deciding what I'm going to cook for dinner, going to the supermarket and they don't have the vital ingredients. Honestly feel by blood pressure rise. Should just be thankful live in a day and a age where almost everything can be bought at the supermarket.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:45     #16394
Lightspeed

How difficult it is to obtain a roll of velcro gmg. Seriously. I had one store clerk ask me what velcro was.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:51     #16395
Havs

wait till you try and purchase the sheep...
Old 6th September 2009, 23:10     #16396
Lightspeed

Purchase? Uuuh, there's loads of them just running around One Tree Hill domain...
Old 7th September 2009, 10:02     #16397
Pleb'a

Courier Post - Customer Service.

Just got a dog, they are going to deliver a package today. Last time the dog was out with me and they came in through the dog gate and put the package at the back of our door.

This time, I know she's going to be there home alone. I ring up to let them know, so they can just let the courier know to leave it out the front of the gate and not go through to the back door.

"We can't do that", their response.

"You can't ring the courier to tell them that we've now got a dog, and just incase they should not go through the dog gate and possibly be bitten ?"

"No" she says unhelpfully.

I have no idea what she is like as we've only had her two weeks from the pound, and she growls at large men (we're guessing she's been abused by them).

GOOD LUCK FUCKER.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:13     #16398
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleb'a
GOOD LUCK FUCKER.
Good luck pooch. She bites the courier (especially if you do not have "beware of the dog / enter at own risk" signs) and it's likely a final visit to the vet.

Old 7th September 2009, 12:24     #16399
Jonas Undrawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Good luck pooch. She bites the courier (especially if you do not have "beware of the dog / enter at own risk" signs) and it's likely a final visit to the vet.
yeap.
Old 7th September 2009, 14:24     #16400
xor

Quote:
Thanks for your post
Our "client" is actually a member of AUT staff, so we have a very odd relationship (in regards to a normal client-contractor relationship). This has actually caused issues as we began to get confused as to whether we should consult him or our supervisor.

We had 4 group members. 1 went back to Germany in the second semester, and took pretty much all his work with him. Him leaving was known about since the start, and we had a process in place for him to pass over his server/work/research, but that hasn't happened. Supervisor/client have not commented on this, and have pretty much refused to voice an opinion when asked.

Him and the other group member (excluding myself and the Russian) are extremely passive. Passive to the point that they consider any disagreement to be group conflict, and as such I get labeled as a troublemaker for voicing an opinion (regardless of it being justified).

Cutting my losses was something I really did not want to do. I don't want to spend another year at uni when I'm already 24
My letter is onto 2.5 pages now, pretty much going through the project bit by bit and highlighting various conflicts and communication breakdowns - both on mine, the Russian's, the group's, and our client/supervisor's part.
Following this, I plan to base my final reflective report pretty much solely on the aspects of group dynamics and the experience I've gained from this project. Discuss what I've learnt, how I attempted various conflict resolutions, what I did wrong, and so on. The head of the project tutors has said that mistakes are good, as long as we can identify and build from them

Now to be all emo and shit: this project stuff is getting to me to the point that I was shaking with frustration and rage since the presentation for many hours, and tonight I'm feeling incredibly depressed
I had a similar problem as you with a group assignment. We've got some work worth 25% of a paper. Three of us in the group.
I organised a couple of evenings to go through the work required, complete example exercises etc etc. One girl turns up, the other has a bs excuse, I accepted it and then we were all to meet up a few nights later. The same girl turned up and the other girl had another bs excuse. I emailed the course co-ordinator and advised that we've done half the assignment and this girl hasn't shown up at all to do any of the work.
So by now we've completed the assignment and we're writing up our individual reports about what we did, how we did it, how many times we had to go over the same thing and ammend changes etc etc. Anyhoo this girl turns up while we're doing this and started asking us what she can do. I told her she can finish her report of what she'd done and then to email it to the course co-ordinator.
She looked at me and asked 'How many times did we redo section A?'
I advised her that the last section of the assignment was meant to be her own words of what she did and she then replied 'But I didn't do Part A' So I said 'Great you put that in then!'
She carried on asking how long we'd spent on it trying to get info out of us and then I snapped. I told her she shouldn't bother finishing the assignment because she didn't do any of it and that we'd been in contact with the course co-ordinator and told him she hasn't had any input.
She just stood there for what seemed to be about 1 minute before she burst into tears and ran out.
Owned that bitch