Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 17th August 2009, 20:51     #16041
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
the fact that my flatmate just lives under a rock. she refuses to watch the news or have anything to do with news of any kind. she lives in her own tiny world. i asked her if she heard about Usain Bolt breaking the world record today- she had no idea who he even was. "Oh is the olympics on or something?" when i explained to her about it. my god, sometimes i just want to throttle her.
Holy crap tell me you're joking? Who gives a shit about running races?
Old 17th August 2009, 20:59     #16042
Thomas Meatball

Is she some 20 year old blonde tart or something?
Old 17th August 2009, 21:01     #16043
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

What kind of job does she have? And does she have friends?
Old 17th August 2009, 21:03     #16044
leadinjector

shes 29, and a complete ditz. while i can understand not being interested in running, not knowing stuff like that is kind of hard isnt it? i mean, i dont watch golf but i sure as shit know who tiger woods is. i dont give a fuck about fashion but i know who donatella versace is. and really, not even knowing whether the olympics are on or not? i mean its not at the same level as yesterday when she asked me if it would be harder to cycle or run 10k... but still...
Old 17th August 2009, 21:05     #16045
Thomas Meatball

Is she hot?
Old 17th August 2009, 21:07     #16046
leadinjector

id hit it, but thats not saying much.

chiq- she has 2 friends that ive ever met and theyre both as ditzy as her :/ other than that she just leeches my friends. and tries to sleep with them
Old 17th August 2009, 21:21     #16047
Thomas Meatball

Can you post a pic of her? Does she have a warm, moist vagina?
Old 17th August 2009, 21:40     #16048
dead goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
What kind of job does she have? And does she have HOT friends?
fixed for male dominated geek forum.
Old 17th August 2009, 21:52     #16049
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
id hit it, but thats not saying much.

chiq- she has 2 friends that ive ever met and theyre both as ditzy as her :/ other than that she just leeches my friends. and tries to sleep with them
I think lead should have a party and invite the bukake squad
Old 18th August 2009, 00:27     #16050
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
"Vanity, definitely my favourite sin"
Yep, I was thinking that quote when I posted

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 18th August 2009, 11:28     #16051
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

I wanted to watch the new Marcus Lush show "South" on tv1 on Sunday night. I forgot. Oh well, I thought, it'll surely be available On Demand! Yeah, it's not. Wtf? They make inane shit like Shortland Street available, but not this?
Old 18th August 2009, 11:44     #16052
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
I wanted to watch the new Marcus Lush show "South" on tv1 on Sunday night. I forgot. Oh well, I thought, it'll surely be available On Demand! Yeah, it's not. Wtf? They make inane shit like Shortland Street available, but not this?
Same with "The Politicaly Incorrect Parenting Show" - they want to make a killing on the DVD sales.

I have it on the My-Sky - but that doesn't help you

It had a lighthouse, a bloke doing hippie teepee homestays, and some old codger who collects bouys from the beach and hangs them up - kind of a Paua shell house rip off.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:49     #16053
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I think lead should have a party and invite the bukake squad
Shit, i'll be in, can get matching shirts with 'NZG Bukakke 2009' printed on it.

Fucking swish.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:50     #16054
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Same with "The Politicaly Incorrect Parenting Show" - they want to make a killing on the DVD sales.
Ah of course, $$$. Bummer. Might have to see if I can find a copy of ep1 (I want to see the lighthouse dammit!) and then just remember to watch it next week.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:57     #16055
caffiend

So I've been reading this classic novel for ages; I keep putting it down for a few weeks (months even) while reading something else that's nice and easy, then revisiting it. I'm almost finished, but it's been tough going.

I got to thinking how much text there is in that classic novel (and most classic novels are the same). It's 984 pages of very densely-packed, small font type with small margins. I just did a quick check, and it averages around 13 words per line, and about 46 lines per page. So that's almost 600,000 words. Quite a lot.

The reason for the gear grind, however - is the way modern novels are published - with large margins, large fonts and lots of line spacing. Despite being physically bigger/heavier books, some of the newer novels I've read are around 10 words a line, 30 lines per page and about 280 pages. So around 84,000 words. Almost only a tenth of the word count, yet 4 times the price.

The real joke was that I just ducked into Borders, and had a look at this book because the premise sounded interesting. It takes it to a new level: I reckon about 25 lines per page, 8 words a line (HUGE left margin...) and just under 300 pages.

So for writing short stories and packaging them in large paperback format and charging $40... I say "fuck you" to authors and the publishing industry. You ain't getting any of my cash.

Incidentally, there are probably more words in this post than there are in that James Patterson book.

Last edited by caffiend : 18th August 2009 at 12:00.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:06     #16056
Reformed_Quint

Its a shame we can't economically pirate them
Old 18th August 2009, 12:47     #16057
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Just checked my current read.. Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb.

880 pages, 34 lines per page, 12 words per line. and still had the $22 sticker on it.. Good value by my count!
Old 18th August 2009, 12:55     #16058
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Its a shame we can't economically pirate them
Quick, to the scribing monk cave!
Old 18th August 2009, 13:43     #16059
Thomas Meatball

I want to hear more about leadinjector's dumb skanky flatmate.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:14     #16060
crocos

You want to be leadinjector's friend so his dumb skanky flatmate will hit on you.

Old 18th August 2009, 14:15     #16061
Thomas Meatball

Pretty much. But I want to see pics first.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:16     #16062
crocos

True, true. Better safe than Liz'd

Old 18th August 2009, 14:16     #16063
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
You want to be leadinjector's friend so his dumb skanky flatmate will hit on you.
I am leadinjectors friend and i havn't had no dumb skanky flatmate hit on me.

Infact, last time i tried to hit on a flattie, he expressed his desire for me to leave.

Fucking holdout.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:17     #16064
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
I am leadinjectors friend and i havn't had no dumb skanky flatmate hit on me.
bottle + face

Yeah, I went there.

Old 18th August 2009, 14:25     #16065
IoriDyson

the bank taking your money in an instant and fucking up, then telling you to wait 21 days so they can fix their mistake......
Old 18th August 2009, 14:34     #16066
Reformed_Quint

Laugh

Crocos, you know that date we were going on?

yea

You can go get fucked now, see, hurt is a two way street.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:24     #16067
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X

What a scroat.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:58     #16068
Lightspeed

Grinds my gears that:

1) Supermarkets seems to have stopped stocking most frozen desserts.
2) Most bakeries don't sell danish. Fucking motherfuckers.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:14     #16069
caffiend

Thorndon New World still has loads of frozen desserts. Probably doesn't help you much though, eh.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:44     #16070
Lightspeed

Seriously! You can get apple pie, apple crumble, apple & apricot crumble, apple danish, blueberry danish, a cheese cake, ice cream. Where's the peach?! Where's the fucking everything else?!
Old 19th August 2009, 17:52     #16071
chiQ
Frag-muff

Moving from oils gears thread, because it got old after two goes at making the dicks look silly: people who speed through road works areas with people working in them.

Also, tailgaters. I wasn't tailgated today, but the people two cars ahead were. I was following an evil bumper-licker and felt really sorry for all the people he ended up behind. Bastard. He had a really cool personalised plate too.

I've got a new treatment for people who tailgate me - engine-braking where I would usually brake-brake just for the sake of warning people behind me I'm slowing. It's working great so far. Two bumper-lickers backed off me pretty smartly yesterday after a dose of unforeseen slowing each.

And my road-morals go out the window, just like that...
Old 19th August 2009, 19:49     #16072
Cyberbob

Quote:
Sorted out.. Apparently back in April my student loan was "finalised" but not "closed", so when my taxes were calculated in June, it didn't take into account that my student loan was finished, and accrued $800 of debt over that time..

Long story short, my loan's now properly closed, and IRD suck.

Next Grind. Stupid fucking Kiwibank.

I'm moving away from Kiwibank for a reason, and now I'm damn sure I made the right decision.
Very similar to the story above with IRD.

Rang Kiwibank a few weeks ago to get a settlement amount for my personal loan. They give me a certain figure.
I get an ASB bank cheque written out for that certain amount, and go to Kiwibank to bank it so I can close my loan.
"Sorry sir, that's not the right amount"
Turns out the fucking Kiwibank CSR had given me the wrong amount, by over a thousand dollars.
Me: "So can I get the right figure from you?"
Postbank tellar with a kiwibank sticker: "No, you'll have to call Kiwibank again"

So I ring Kiwibank, give them an earful for giving me the wrong figure, they have no idea why I would have been given that amount, and then they give me a new one.

Go back to ASB, tell them the story, they give me a new cheque for the right amount.

Go back to the damn post office to talk to their monkeys, and it takes them about five minutes of talking out the back to finally accept my ASB bank cheque and to deposit the full amount of the cheque onto my personal loan. Yay, loan gone.
I empty my kiwibank accounts, say good riddence, and email them to say I want to close all my kiwibank accounts.
Email from dumbshit kiwibank: "Sorry sir, you can't close your accounts online, you'll have to go to the branch and do it there"

Grr. so be it.

Fast forward to today, where I check my kiwibank account online, and see a -$30 figure there, for a dishonor fee. Apparently my loan payment bounced because I didn't have enough money in my kiwibank accounts to pay it.
My loan payment.
To a loan I settled and paid off in full over two weeks ago.

Someone's gonna get a hurtin reeeaal bad tomorrow.
Old 19th August 2009, 20:06     #16073
Spink

Useless generic error messages. fuck.

Transaction failed. Please contact Customer Service for further information.

Customer Service page has a bunch of generic reasons it could be, "free email", "country", etc. Not knowing makes me want to take my business elsewhere rather than fuck around all night trying to guess what they want from me.
Old 19th August 2009, 20:14     #16074
Thomas Meatball

o_O

I think contact Customer Service means actually picking up the telephone and ringing them.
Old 19th August 2009, 21:41     #16075
Spink

Nah the words Customer Service were a link to a website with useless answers and the ability to submit a ticket but no indication as to what on earth I have to talk to customer service for in the first place other than transaction failed - I submitted a ticket but I'm probably gonna end up going elsewhere just because it was so traumatic!
Old 19th August 2009, 21:52     #16076
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

WGMG are TradeMe buyers who for some inexplicable reason don't send their delivery details via TM. It's so much easier as a seller to retrieve an address in your sold folder rather than sifting through emails. It's annoying me and I'm only selling a few things a week. Imagine how frustrating it must be for the power sellers.
Old 19th August 2009, 23:51     #16077
crocos

Weird: It's soo easy, takes all of about 3 clicks to send to an existing address.

Of course I back it up with an email as well, but eh.

Old 20th August 2009, 01:36     #16078
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

The ad for Wendy's where they're advertising a big fat burger with a "jolly" fat man who's so fat he can't even speak properly. And the music is "fat" sounding brass instruments.

Fail Wendy's, fail.
Old 20th August 2009, 01:49     #16079
QWERTY?

Quote:
Email from dumbshit kiwibank: "Sorry sir, you can't close your accounts online, you'll have to go to the branch and do it there"
haha yeh they told my wife that, sure we'll just take a 20 hour flight just to close your account G G.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:30     #16080
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
The ad for Wendy's where they're advertising a big fat burger with a "jolly" fat man who's so fat he can't even speak properly. And the music is "fat" sounding brass instruments.

Fail Wendy's, fail.
Nah man; they're just identifying with their customer base. Good on them I say - advertising based on reality is fine with me.