NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13th April 2009, 13:52     #121
Rib Feast

I hear where you are coming from GT. We never got into games, the math of people paying 20 or 30 a month for potentially 3 discs at a time that cost 240 all up isn't feasible economically.

With waiting for DVDs, we'd buy heaps of copies (think like 1 copy for every few people who wanted it). The problem isn't the stock/demand ratio, it's the part where your movies come in on random days, and stock you are after is coming back on random days. To guarantee DVDs you're after being in you'd have to spend exponentially more than you get in revenue.

Having said that the operation is way bigger, so laws of averages comes into play more now, so while the spending ratio stays the same the service gets better.

I personally look forward to streaming being the norm for everyone, we're on the cutting edge though, 95% of people with broadband have less than 2GB a month allowance... lol
Old 13th April 2009, 20:59     #122
Deadmeat

Cheers Rib, will be in touch.
Old 14th April 2009, 01:30     #123
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Feast
I hear where you are coming from GT. We never got into games, the math of people paying 20 or 30 a month for potentially 3 discs at a time that cost 240 all up isn't feasible economically.
I think both Ribfeast and GT are on to something here (in their own ways). I recently took out a Gamekingdom subscription and was lucky to be able to immediately pick out 2 games that I was reasonably interested in to be sent to me. Having finished these two, there are only two more games on my list (and I was pretty liberal with what I put onto my list and included stuff that I frankly only had a passing inetrest in) that are immediately available.

All the other games on my list have, to my knowledge, never been "in store" to rent during my subscription and do not look likely to be available any time soon. These unlimited rental schemes are good value for people who just want to get lots of stuff to pass time but from what I've experienced so far (and I'm not silly enough to expect that they have lots of the latest and greatest release sitting around when I want them) even fairly old but well-known titles have quite low availability. I won't be renewing my subscription when this month's payment is up for renewal.
Old 14th April 2009, 01:47     #124
cyc
Objection!

To be fair, 2 of the games on my list are available now but neither of them are actually that high on my personal priority list but I've moved them onto the top of my trough so I have some games to play.
Old 14th April 2009, 19:52     #125
Evoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Anyone else on Fatso noticing an increase in fucked discs or is it just the things im choosing? For example i've been trying to watch Six Feet Under season1, of the 4 discs (counting replacements) they've sent me of this 3 have been fucked. I'm not even past the first episode on the second disc yet because the replacement to the scratched disc they sent me is also rooted.
the short of it is 'it's the things you're choosing or your hardware'. It was a major issue for me because most of my watching for a while was TV series. With movies, it is hardly ever a problem (although Poltergeist 2 was so fucked it didn't even start). When we went through the entire Star Trek Voyager series, every second episode was munted. Our DVD player rage quits if it can't play a disc, so it was doubly irritating to start up a disc again and go through all the menus and then skip forward to the time (or just after) it crashed, only to find out the crash section was longer and for it to crash again. It always worked on a PC though. Maybe DVRs are more sensitive? Poltergeist 2 was also broken on the PC, so I didn't even ask for a replacement.
Old 21st May 2014, 22:37     #126
The Edge

Thread bump...is Fatso still even a viable option, with so much streaming now available? Does anyone here still use it?