Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 21st May 2014, 11:38     #14481
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Joe

And you can just copy files to it, who would've thought... amazing!
The number-one cause of "why the fuck is this so hard" moments for me with ios. For me it hits when I'm taking screenshots of shit on my phone and then trying to get the images over to my desktop for embedding in documents... Just ridiculously cumbersome.
Old 21st May 2014, 11:50     #14482
pxpx

Images must stay within the garden, Abner. Do not venture outside of the garden, for demons lurk beyond these walls.
Old 21st May 2014, 12:44     #14483
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
no Ingress client
You'll find the grindr application will take care of your portal hacking needs.
Old 21st May 2014, 12:53     #14484
Savage

That's the wrong faction for me
Old 21st May 2014, 13:57     #14485
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

fragmentation lulz, episode 762353

Game dev shop Game Oven goes iOS-only for its latest game citing the usual reason:

Quote:
https://vine.co/v/MgWLMmmwUQQ

In the Vine above are 7 devices all running the same compass app (ironically named Steady Compass) on Android. Yet, all compasses indicate that North is somewhere else. Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with electromagnetic fields confusing the compass; it has everything to do with the diversity of hardware inside these devices.

We have been developing Bounden for Android alongside its development on iOS, and have tested the game on a number of devices. It was only a week ago that we started expanding our list of test devices, after we quickly discovered that:

(a) some devices had ‘broken’ gyroscopes that didn’t work on all axis,
(b) that some devices were faking gyroscopes by mixing and matching the accelerometer data with compass data, or
(c) that some devices did not have a gyroscope at all.

These are all major problems for our heavily gyroscope-precision based game. We weren’t just testing on low tier devices, by the way. Popular devices like the Samsung Galaxy S4 are problematic as well.
http://gameovenstudios.com/bounden-on-android-delayed/
Old 21st May 2014, 15:54     #14486
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The number-one cause of "why the fuck is this so hard" moments for me with ios. For me it hits when I'm taking screenshots of shit on my phone and then trying to get the images over to my desktop for embedding in documents... Just ridiculously cumbersome.
Have you tried dropbox as the solution? I have it set to automagically upload all my photos, which then sync to my PC through the pc app, having just tested it it works fine for screenshots too. It's typically a matter of seconds rather than minutes before the file is available.
I've got it set to sync on wifi only incase I get snaphappy while i'm out and about.
Old 21st May 2014, 16:10     #14487
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, I tried but sometimes it can take what feels like ages for Dropbox to see the new file and share it to the desktop where I want it. When I'm "I want this image open in photoshop right now" the fastest way to get it is to email it to myself from my phone, which is retarded.
Old 21st May 2014, 16:15     #14488
Deadmeat

See, that's what no interface lag does for you. You need to switch over and adopt the laid back relaxed, attend to it when it finally appears on screen, attitude of an Android user.

Then you will know peace.
Old 21st May 2014, 21:47     #14489
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Paste them directly into said documents in Office for iPhone?
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:19     #14490
MadMax
Stuff

Don't you have an mac ab? Got airdrop?
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:28     #14491
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Don't you have an mac ab? Got airdrop?
That isn't going to help. Max retardation on Apple's part on this one:

"Note: AirDrop for iOS supports only iOS 7 devices. You cannot use AirDrop on iOS to share with OS X, and OS X users can't use AirDrop to share with iOS devices."
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:22     #14492
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BT]Monza
That isn't going to help. Max retardation on Apple's part on this one:

"Note: AirDrop for iOS supports only iOS 7 devices. You cannot use AirDrop on iOS to share with OS X, and OS X users can't use AirDrop to share with iOS devices."
WTF
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:04     #14493
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Can't expose the filesystem to the users, they'll get all flustered and confused.
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:56     #14494
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Because they're women and the elderly.
Old 23rd May 2014, 20:13     #14495
_indigo1

*Ahem*

Google Overtakes Apple As the World's Most Valuable Brand
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:04     #14496
CCS
Stunt Pants

*Ahem*

idiot
Old 24th May 2014, 12:27     #14497
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Dropbox and it's done? Edit: Oh, I see Deadmeat bet me to it.
Box works too

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 24th May 2014 at 12:29.
Old 25th May 2014, 22:04     #14498
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
fragmentation lulz, episode 762353
Oh, fuck yes. As a web/app developer this drives me insane.
Old 26th May 2014, 06:45     #14499
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Oh. Yeah there is an app that does that. I'll have to remember the name.

(Edit) http://www.moborobo.com
Thanks!

FJ: I just posted asking about copying files on Android, and this is a response to a suggested solution. I know you can on iOS devices and didn't know if you could on Android devices without rooting them.
Old 26th May 2014, 09:48     #14500
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Thanks!

FJ: I just posted asking about copying files on Android, and this is a response to a suggested solution. I know you can on iOS devices and didn't know if you could on Android devices without rooting them.
Is this similar to AirDroid?
Old 29th May 2014, 12:43     #14501
blur^

apple's purchase of beats confirmed
http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/28/apple-...for-3-billion/

gg Dr Dre i guess...

arnt they terrible headphones though?
Old 29th May 2014, 13:01     #14502
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

It doesn't matter - they sell them for 50x the cost to produce. Why else do you think Apple is all over it?
Old 29th May 2014, 13:52     #14503
blur^

haha so another horrible and terribly over priced apple product?

I see what you did there
Old 29th May 2014, 14:24     #14504
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I don't really get this one either, but I'm guessing it's about streaming services rather than headphones.
Old 29th May 2014, 15:50     #14505
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Dre's gonna party like its 1989

Old 29th May 2014, 15:57     #14506
blur^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I don't really get this one either, but I'm guessing it's about streaming services rather than headphones.
yeah thats what i figured
apple itunes beats online music streaming service

i havnt actually heard anything about beats streaming, is it really gonna compete with spotify? or even google play?
Old 29th May 2014, 16:47     #14507
_Incubus_

I use MOG (the Beats owned precursor to Beats 'Daisy'), 20 million songs, no data counted towards my monthly mobile datacap through Telstra for $11 per month...Pretty cool service, that said I'd probably use whatever service that wasn't counting towards my monthly datacap
Old 29th May 2014, 22:21     #14508
zeekiorage

I was thinking that Apple would inherit the licensing deals that Beats has with music labels but apparently those licenses aren't going to transfer. So this is $3B for a brand name of popular but questionable quality headphones and a streaming service that not many people have heard of.
Old 29th May 2014, 23:20     #14509
BWDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
I was thinking that Apple would inherit the licensing deals that Beats has with music labels but apparently those licenses aren't going to transfer. So this is $3B for a brand name of popular but questionable quality headphones and a streaming service that not many people have heard of.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/9/569...ing-with-beats

"Beats, a six-year-old company whose founders include Dr. Dre and record executive Jimmy Iovine, is reportedly profitable on revenues that were said to exceed $1 billion last year. Beats entered the market in 2008 with $350 headphones, and five years later commanded 59 percent of the market for headphones that cost more than $99, according to NPD Group. Its revenues quintupled between 2010 and 2012, according to The Wall Street Journal."

"And in the longer term, the Beats acquisition could give Apple a music service to rival Spotify. Apple is still the dominant seller of digital music, but the 99-cent downloads that it pioneered are declining as more people turn to streaming services like Pandora and Spotify. Sales of individual songs have declined 12 percent in the past year, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Steve Jobs famously hated the subscription model of online music, but the growth of such services indicates an appetite that Apple may no longer have been able to ignore."

Spotify is still technically umprofitable even with 6 million subscribers, apple will probably be hedging that they can force millions of iOS users to adopt. I know I'd switch from spotify to beats if the library was the same and beats was subsidised or cheaper...
Old 30th May 2014, 00:04     #14510
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
So this is $3B for a brand name of popular but questionable quality headphones and a streaming service that not many people have heard of.
$3B is what Apple makes in pure profit every four weeks.
Old 30th May 2014, 02:26     #14511
Savage

Old 30th May 2014, 09:37     #14512
Lightspeed

Hahah, so in the end Apple is a consumer like everyone else.
Old 30th May 2014, 13:46     #14513
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Hahah, so in the end Apple is a consumer like everyone else.
?
Old 30th May 2014, 23:01     #14515
ipee

facepalm

Apple's creative geniuses come up with a revolutionary feature to differentiate the iPhone from the competition - Humungous Bezels!

Introducing the iPhone 6: http://youtu.be/AVpfhoi_uOM. LOLZ

For more lolz, Apple decides to ditch it's usual volume and power button placement and adopt Samsung's configuration instead. Irony apparently not lost on the folks at Cupertino.
Old 31st May 2014, 02:00     #14516
BaM
Freeloader

Old 31st May 2014, 13:51     #14517
pxpx

gotta grow up some time..
Old 31st May 2014, 14:14     #14518
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
gotta grow up some time..
If growing up is being bought out by middle aged white men.

Fight tha power!

Last edited by Dusty : 31st May 2014 at 14:16.
Old 31st May 2014, 14:15     #14519
Dusty

Old 31st May 2014, 20:56     #14520
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
?
Buying the thing the people with lots of money buy. In this case Beats.