NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 24th January 2013, 20:11     #12641
doppelgänger of someone

If I have to choose between some knock off phone from China, and an el cheapo Nokia, I would choose el cheapo Nokia, everytime, for reliability sake. YMMV.
Old 24th January 2013, 21:43     #12642
Brandoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaM
Truly, this is the future.
FM Tuner is great. Beats chewing through your data plan listening to streaming radio.
Old 24th January 2013, 23:51     #12643
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

What is this... radio? Some kind of linear broadcast?!
Old 25th January 2013, 00:21     #12644
MadMax
Stuff

Data usage? Pfft. Sux to be u that missed out on vodafones 3gig/$40 plan.
Old 25th January 2013, 00:39     #12645
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

You can put the songs... INSIDE THE COMPUTER!
Old 25th January 2013, 11:23     #12646
ala*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoo
FM Tuner is great. Beats chewing through your data plan listening to streaming radio.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:31     #12647
Baal

Spotify is even pretty tolerable streaming in the car when driving. Craps out in rural areas but that's to be expected on Vodafone.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:59     #12648
Baxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
Spotify is even pretty tolerable streaming in the car when driving. Craps out in rural areas but that's to be expected on Vodafone.
o yea. how much data do you use steaming spotify? I download playlists for fear of cap destructions.
Old 25th January 2013, 12:28     #12649
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
Oh yeah? How much data do you use steaming spotify? I download playlists for fear of cap destructions.
I don't know, I don't stream constantly via mobile data but I have used it on long trips and about town a fair bit. Have 3gb of data a month, most months I use about 2-ish.
Old 25th January 2013, 15:12     #12650
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Post The Shanzhai update...

So, for $175, there had to be some downsides - and they didn't take long to find.

1. Chinese
Traditional Mandarin, Sweet Navel Orange, whatever flavour glyphs you're into, I can't read 'em. Despite my ROM being "Official Google Play Market", it's actually got some of the Google stuff pulled out and replaced by Baidu (the Chinese search engine). I haven't rooted my phone yet, so there's a bunch of Chinese apps that I'd rather not have which are [at the moment] unremovable, and pop up Chinese notifications despite setting the language to English.

2. Bogus Android "4.1.1"
My first order was cancelled and I was refunded as there was a "mistake in the description". That phone was actually Android 4.0. I got in touch with them when a new phone was listed as 4.1, and a guy told me (in French, no less) that it was in actual fact 4.1. Great, because I needed 4.1 for offline voice to text. I was pleased to be getting a 4.1 phone. Except that it's not. It's a 4.0 phone, with a version string replaced to say 4.1.1. I know this for two reasons: The "easter egg" comes up with Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich. And the build number contains "ICS", rather than "JB".

3. Voice to text (if you speak Chinese)
That key feature I wanted? Not only is it processed in the cloud, it's processed by Baidu. And guess what? I don't speak Chinese! Baidu takes my English words and "recognises" the closest Chinese match. I pressed the microphone, said the word "nonsense" and sure enough, Baidu returned "4-12 degrees Celsius". Spot on, coz that makes no fucking sense to me. I think the Voice Search is a hack widget, because I can't do Voice Input on the current ROM for things like SMS or email (even if I could speak Chinese and wanted Baidu to process it). Frankly, I never actually /use/ voice input, but that's not the point - I'm a geek, I wanna play with voice recognition! Plus, what's the point in claiming Android 4.1 if you're gonna rip out the new features?

4. Edge of the screen insensitivity
With the onscreen keyboard in portrait mode, the 'P' (or '0' in number mode) key is right on the edge, and the last few columns of pixels don't respond to touch, so you have to press it on the leftmost half of the key. This isn't a problem in landscape mode, as the "notification bar" takes up the rows of numbness.

5. Batteries are likely clones and read strange
It takes forever to go from 64% to 79%, and then when you unplug it, it drops to 63%. Immediately. Or at least, that's what mine's doing.
Could be some sort of weird calibration thing, but uh... I think the batteries are just shit. Facebook made the battery reading drop percentage points while I watched (From 63 down to about 53). That took about 1 minute. Then for the next 6-7 hours I messed around in "new phone mode" doing all sorts of new phone things - installing apps/games over wifi (chewed through battery), playing games, messaging, calling, etc. The readings would drop, and then plateau for ages, and then drop again. 35% lasted for an hour or two, 17% was quite a popular reading, and 4% seemed to last forever, even playing "Trial Extreme 3". I was trying to run it flat (hoping to calibrate the battery or something) and it wouldn't seem to die. Wi-Fi definitely kills battery - 3D gaming not so much. 3G does't seem too bad either, though I haven't been using it much. I haven't let it sit idle for too long, but it doesn't seem to consume much power doing nothing (even with Wi Fi enabled but idle). As an example, it's been at 20% for 3 hours, occasionally popping up with my e-mail.

Conclusion
The hardware is superb. The screen's /great/, the speaker is not bad, the actual build quality is fine, 3D games run fantastic, the accelerometer works properly, etc. It's better than my iPod for games. I did get used to my girly hands IDEOS, so it still feels fucking huge. The battery life does make me nervous. The Baidu ROM is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Would I buy another one or recommend one to someone else?
Right now, no. Not until I find a Google(English) ROM and sort out whats going on with the battery/charging/calibration issue. My IDEOS was similar (in apparent consumption) when I first got it, and it seems to run forever (3-4 days between charges) now. I wouldn't recommend the shop I bought from either, until they can explain (in French) why they're making false claims about Android versions.
Old 25th January 2013, 15:15     #12651
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Right now, no.
so basically like every other android phone ever then.
Old 25th January 2013, 15:17     #12652
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

fuck all that shit, flash with a proper rom, solve most of your issues.
Old 25th January 2013, 16:10     #12653
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Right now, no. Not until I find a Google(English) ROM and sort out whats going on with the battery/charging/calibration issue. My IDEOS was similar (in apparent consumption) when I first got it, and it seems to run forever (3-4 days between charges) now. I wouldn't recommend the shop I bought from either, until they can explain (in French) why they're making false claims about Android versions.
A++++ lols, would lol again.
Old 25th January 2013, 16:42     #12654
Baal

Quote:
哈哈
Probably a saner option would have been to pick up a nexus s or even a galaxy nexus secondhand, even new the nexus is < $500 now.
Old 25th January 2013, 16:59     #12655
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

Right now
Not until I
until they can
I would have reached the point of "I'll enter a monogamous relationship with Liz Shaw before I ever buy or recommend anything remotely connected with this device" within about 10 seconds. That you can even be so undecided - so non-throwing-this-thing-in-the-trash-immediately - as to say things like those quoted above is incomprehensible to me.
Old 25th January 2013, 17:36     #12656
TnT

Quote:
<stuff>
So basically you're saying 'cheap nasty phone, is cheap and nasty'?

I for one am shocked.
Old 25th January 2013, 19:33     #12657
MadMax
Stuff

... ah well. $175 to add +1 to android. congrats.
Old 25th January 2013, 19:52     #12658
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Nah cheap yet awesome phone comes with nasty ROM and shitty battery. Vrtigo is right - we'll fix it in software! I'm posting from it now, which is a step up from either device I had before - I would have jumped on the laptop by now. I didn't want to spend $500 - I wanted Àndroid 4.1 to do offline voice recognition for the minimum cost. In that respect it failed, fuck China.
Old 25th January 2013, 20:30     #12659
catharsis

DON'T FUCKING SAY THAT!
Akane will hear you......
Old 25th January 2013, 22:11     #12660
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

DrTitus = Poors.
Old 25th January 2013, 22:46     #12661
Heresy
yawn.

Android - better hardware, shit everything else.

I'm flying home to NZ from London for a quick visit, which means I've got two 35 hour flights to look forward to. Awesome. To alleviate the pain of this flight, I want some games to keep me busy, so I google "best ios games 2012". Dozens of high quality listings and lots of really good looking games to keep me busy and entertained on my flights. Oh, and the guarantee that they will work on my device, because you know, walled garden/ubiquitous hardware etc. Oh and no malware. Oh oh and the developers actually get something out of it since it is nigh on impossible to sideload games on iOS.

Searching "best android games 2012" results in next to nothing. Angry Fucking Birds? Still? The #1 game I found on this site is a fucking Magic The Gathering clone. Pretty much sums up the target audience.

I've migrated my electronic music consumption from downloading livesets to listening to podcasts, which I can download directly to my iPhone without having to connect into iTunes. I was never really a podcast person prior, preferring to download livesets and mixes from Soundcloud. This has resolved my main gripe with iOS and I'm now happier.

The two things I miss from Android are Swype and swappable microSD cards for storage. Oh, and offline caching for GMaps, but hopefully that may appear in a newer release.
Old 25th January 2013, 22:50     #12662
MadMax
Stuff

not sure any phone can keep you entertained for 70 hours.

fuck that
Old 25th January 2013, 23:27     #12663
Heresy
yawn.

Yeah, it's only part of an arsenal of things which I will use to keep me entertained. Unfortunately there's no way around it if I wanna live in the UK but visit home occasionally. I'm planning to use the time to rewrite my CV from scratch, which should take.... a couple of hours. Which leaves 68 more to fill. Woop.
Old 25th January 2013, 23:30     #12664
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresy
Searching "best android games 2012" results in next to nothing. Angry Fucking Birds? Still? The #1 game I found on this site is a fucking Magic The Gathering clone. Pretty much sums up the target audience.
i dunno. Ingress is pretty boss, enjoying it thoroughly.
Old 26th January 2013, 01:45     #12665
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresy
Searching "best android games 2012" results in next to nothing.
In which this is explained.
Old 26th January 2013, 02:13     #12666
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

Herp derp, pretty much fixed. That was a lot easier than I expected. The ROM isn't that bad after all (except it's still only Android 4.0)

Disable Chinese System Apps: Apps -> All -> [Chinese System App you hate] -> Disable -> Yes I'm sure lah
Use Google Voice Search: Install "Google Voice Search" *facepalm*
Voice Input: Install "Gingerbread Keyboard" (or any other keyboard with a mic button) once you have Google Voice Search installed.
Fiddly 'p' key due to insensitive edge: Those Swype-esque keyboards make that dead edge irrelevant.

Battery was at 20% when I left home at 2:30pm, and was at 2% when I got home at 12:30am. I was showing it off, playing games, browsing, calling, texting, etc during that time, so I'm content. If the batteries turn out to be utter crap I'll replace them for $6 Deal Extreme ones - either that or have an old age melt down and throw it in the bin, I haven't decided.

I emailed the crowd I got it from about the "fake" Android 4.1, and Tintin (it's a Chinese girl) replied saying "It's not fake, it's Chinese phone". At first she offered a "retraction" (refund - 15%). I pointed out that I had already notified PayPal of the fake goods (I said headphones specifically, even though I haven't). She then offered that I could return it for a full refund. I might ask for a part refund or a voucher to make up for the bullshit (also to make up for the initial discount I lost after my first order was refunded).

Any buyers remorse I may have had is gone now that I've removed all the Chinese crud and got the voice stuff going in English. The data connection is so fast that I don't really care about the offline voice stuff. I still might find/cook a JB ROM just for geekiness' sake. I have root on it, so I can mess about with it proper.

That anyone would be so stupid and petty as to throw away a brand new dual core 4.5" smart phone due to seeing Chinese characters is incomprehensible to me. Straya cunt. Fucking gooks. Biff it.
Old 26th January 2013, 02:39     #12667
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You're a walking talking FMCG case study.
Old 26th January 2013, 02:49     #12668
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Hang on, I think I know this one...

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Old 26th January 2013, 02:53     #12669
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

My apologies. The manufacturers of your phone are a great FMCG case study.
Old 26th January 2013, 10:21     #12670
_indigo1

Speaking of Android deficiencies; what's the guts on a decent online music store that runs on droid and actually let's you buy a worthwhile range in NZ

At the moment I'm using 7digital
Old 26th January 2013, 11:30     #12671
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Fucking gooks. Biff it.
it's android, right? can't you hack it and turn it into a media player/skype device for your tv or something?
Old 26th January 2013, 12:39     #12672
CCS
Stunt Pants

o_O

Quote:
That anyone would be so stupid and petty as to throw away a brand new dual core 4.5" smart phone due to seeing Chinese characters is incomprehensible to me. Straya cunt. Fucking gooks. Biff it.
Most people wouldn't even buy it in the first place.
Old 26th January 2013, 13:22     #12673
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Battery's sorted today as well.

No problems

Hence Why Forever A Clone
Old 26th January 2013, 14:00     #12674
CCS
Stunt Pants

Were you actually expecting to get a legitimate HTC Titan?
Old 26th January 2013, 14:52     #12675
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Nope, there was no mention of HTC anywhere - plus the Titan is a Windows phone. I looked for the MTK6577 chipset, with decent screen res, 3G + GPS capabilities.
Old 26th January 2013, 15:09     #12676
CCS
Stunt Pants

But you said it's a fake, right?
Old 26th January 2013, 16:07     #12677
TnT

Quote:
That anyone would post this
Quote:
3. Voice to text (if you speak Chinese)
That key feature I wanted? Not only is it processed in the cloud, it's processed by Baidu. And guess what? I don't speak Chinese! Baidu takes my English words and "recognises" the closest Chinese match. I pressed the microphone, said the word "nonsense" and sure enough, Baidu returned "4-12 degrees Celsius".
is incomprehensible to me

Glad it worked out for you, glad you had the wherewithal to fuck around getting the thing you brought for a specific reason to actually do what you wanted it to and was apparently advertised as being able to do, instead of having it do what you wanted out of the box. Congrats on continuing the cycle of dodgy manufacturers being able to deceive customers and get away with it. Good work.

Seems you put less value on your time than others in the forum. $175 + how much time to fuck around with to get right? Cool you hate iOS, but there are Android phones for not much more than you paid that will do what you want without having to fuck around. But hey, you save a few bucks. Good for you.
Old 26th January 2013, 16:45     #12678
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Well it's not just a stage prop, it is a real phone. The Android version is "faked", and the design of the shell is "inspired by" the HTC One X (though not identical). The back of the phone has these logos (the "beatsaudio" headphones are definitely counterfeit, I can tell by the shit cord):

Over in China, they have "iHTC" Shanzhai phones, just like how there are Somy batteries and various other suspiciously similar brand names.

I was under no impression that it was a brand name phone, and I didn't expect any logos. I feel like I'm repeating myself, and I don't really know where you're going with this.

@TnT: Congrats on continuing the cycle of Apple being able to charge outrageous markup and consumers lapping it up because otherwise they might be called "poor". If you can find me a similarly spec'd Android phone for even double the price, I'm impressed. I shopped around, and this was clearly the best deal. Free market for life. If I wanted I could have asked for a blank one (they're good like that) - however I didn't realise they were going to send a branded one! Would you be happy if I scraped off the logo?

It took me the time to search for "google voice" to realise that just because Baidu was installed, it wasn't "locked down" in any way. Out of the box it was configured for Chinese users (because China), and I installed the software I wanted. Kinda like how out of the box an iPhone doesn't have Angry Birds and if you want that, you have to download it.

The Android version is not a big deal, because software. Everything else is exactly as advertised.

Don't hate me because I got a better phone than you for way less.
Old 26th January 2013, 17:02     #12679
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Well it's not just a stage prop, it is a real phone. The Android version is "faked"
I don't get it. How did they fake the Android version? Is it not simply a Chinese version of Android?

Quote:
and the design of the shell is "inspired by" the HTC One X (though not identical)
It looks to me like it was inspired more by the Titan than the One X, but whatever.

Quote:
I was under no impression that it was a brand name phone, and I didn't expect any logos. I feel like I'm repeating myself, and I don't really know where you're going with this.
I'm just not certain what you mean when you say the Android is 'quotation mark - fake - quotation mark'. It would seem that, as Tintin said, it's not a fake - it's a Chinese phone.
Old 26th January 2013, 17:30     #12680
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I don't get it. How did they fake the Android version? Is it not simply a Chinese version of Android?
It's an Ice Cream Sandwich build (4.0.3), with a version string edit so that when you go "About phone" it says Android version 4.1.1. Since Android is so wonderfully open, it would be trivial to edit a string to satisfy a cursory check. It's no secret that this happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
It looks to me like it was inspired more by the Titan than the One X, but whatever.
OK, good spotting Chief, I was just looking here: http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/ and that Titan isn't listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I'm just not certain what you mean when you say the Android is 'quotation mark - fake - quotation mark'. It would seem that, as Tintin said, it's not a fake - it's a Chinese phone.
If you turn on debugging mode, you find the API version is 15 which indicates a 4.0.3 build. The easter egg also displays "nyan ice cream sandwich droid" and states "Android 4.0". It seems much more likely that they've changed one string in the "About phone" screen rather than created a whole new special fork of Android - the Google Play Store works fine, and from what I've seen in the past, if they're "Chinese Android" ROMs they don't work with the Google Play Store.