Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd March 2009, 19:14     #12201
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Well-meaning departments that pitch "company intranet / wiki / document repository / knowledge base / information-sharing" projects to management.

Newsflash: noone gives a shit.
we (IT) found out about one of the other business group's wiki in the CEO's 2008 Year in Review.....

WTF?!??!?! WTF did they get a wiki? WE supporting that fucking thing? Damn developers!
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:18     #12202
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Every company I have worked for has at some point been the victim of such a proposal. Massive amounts of time and money and attention get diverted away from more important shit, and the amazing proposed "intranet / (etc)" either

a) doesn't happen, so the time, money, and attention were wasted, or

b) happens, but no-one other than the developers gives a shit and no-one uses it, so the time, money, and attention were wasted

IF YOUR PROPOSAL INVOLVES THE WORDS "INTRANET", "WIKI", OR "KNOWLEDGE-SHARING" IT SHOULD BE REJECTED.
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:26     #12203
Reformed_Quint

We have a _massive_ intranet at work.
Its fucking shit and no one uses it.
The amount of money and time spent on it is wasted...

No one listens to me when i say how shit it is, fucking management.
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:38     #12204
Helious

we have a wiki at work, it could be useful. noone uses it though.

i've been here nearly 1 year, i think i've gone into the wiki maybe 6 times?
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:43     #12205
Reformed_Quint

we all have profiles on them (kinda like a social network) to see people from different offices so you know who your sending work to etc.

Took them 8months to realize that my picture is of me with a cardboard sword and a box on my head.
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:47     #12206
Helious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Took them 8months to realize that my picture is of me with a cardboard sword and a box on my head.
FUCKEN ROFL! I think I know the pic you're talking about
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:19     #12207
BathTub

Use our Wiki fairly regularly, almost daily, and right from day one since it has a 'new employees guide on it' and a 'so you've been roped into helping a new employee...' page as well.
Kevin: Oh yeah, when we do, I would hope that we're smart enough to attempt a doctrine of appeasement with them, you know we offer them, I don't know, New Zealand in exchange for them not burning down my house,.. Ah, I mean our houses.
Mike: Good Kevin, that's real brave.
Mike Nelson & Kevin Murphy - Reign of Fire Rifftrax
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:01     #12208
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
FUCKEN ROFL! I think I know the pic you're talking about
Kinda... creepy that you do...

Have to take a tie to work tomorrow for a 'proper photo'. *sigh*
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:35     #12209
Helious

Quote:
Kinda... creepy that you do...
not since you posted it on nzgames !
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:43     #12210
Helious

ok, this is not what you were talking about, but was it at least the same night? or do you often put boxes on your head? ;p

Old 23rd March 2009, 21:44     #12211
CCS
Stunt Pants

Nice pink ipod case, guy!
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:18     #12212
chubby

nice knowing what product that is,......... guy
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:22     #12213
Reformed_Quint

Hahaha yea, same night. The Doctors try to discourage my cardboard paraphernalia customs.

\o/ gay ipod.
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:38     #12214
Helious

Funnily enough, I've got mates who've disowned me because "I do drugs". My memory is better than theirs will ever be
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:53     #12215
CCS
Stunt Pants

Rolling eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
nice knowing what product that is,......... guy
It's only the biggest selling mp3 player. What an incredible guess I made.
Old 24th March 2009, 00:28     #12216
Helious

I'll be honest, I had no idea. I kinda thought it was a Nintendo DS, but that's just retarded.

I've never owned, or will own an IPOD. And I've never owned a (portable) console.
Old 24th March 2009, 08:32     #12217
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Well-meaning departments that pitch "company intranet / wiki / document repository / knowledge base / information-sharing" projects to management.

Newsflash: noone gives a shit.
/blowing smoke up Fluffer...

Our Intranet is very good, but several areas are trying to move to Sharepoint. We've advised that there needs to be a major shift in how documents are filed "you need to fill in the meta data dude" - "what's that?" before it would make any sense, so wikis have started cropping up. The tech ones are fine, I'll wait a little to judge the rest.
Old 24th March 2009, 08:39     #12218
JiggaRoll
For the Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Every company I have worked for has at some point been the victim of such a proposal. Massive amounts of time and money and attention get diverted away from more important shit, and the amazing proposed "intranet / (etc)" either

a) doesn't happen, so the time, money, and attention were wasted, or

b) happens, but no-one other than the developers gives a shit and no-one uses it, so the time, money, and attention were wasted

IF YOUR PROPOSAL INVOLVES THE WORDS "INTRANET", "WIKI", OR "KNOWLEDGE-SHARING" IT SHOULD BE REJECTED.
Last week I got told by my boss "We need an Intranet so I can communicate with staff, have one ready by next Wednesday." I explained what is usually involved if he wants it to be actually useful and that he would have to spend some money. Also told him it might be better to communicate by email as at least people check that regularly. His reply was "Web pages are easy, my friend made me one the other week for free, you should know how to do that. Just get it done."

Great.
Old 24th March 2009, 09:02     #12219
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Make him a web page on Geocities.
Old 24th March 2009, 09:22     #12220
flic
Dee Hast Mish

I thought that pink thing he was holding was his wallet and he was looking and his picture window and swooning over how dreamy his DL photo is :P
Old 24th March 2009, 10:06     #12221
Reformed_Quint

^^ heh pink wallet.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:08     #12222
dylan
Huh?

An intranet can be a great thing. I worked at a place where the young I.T. fella built it when things were quiet; middle / upper management were hardly involved (in fact I don't think they knew about it for months) and possibly as a result, it became an integral part of the company. Usage was split roughly 50 / 50, between the social aspect - pictures of nights out, facebook (before facebook existed!), QOTD (i stole that from nzg), and then commonly used documents and forms etc.

It just depends on the company, if it's approached from a buzzword point of view, it's got more chance of failure, rather than a desire to share information in a practical manner.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:29     #12223
StN
I have detailed files

What GMG today? The incongruencies of something called maths...

HP standalone LTO4 drive = $X

HP Robotic tape library with 2 LTO4 drives = $Y

HP LTO4 upgrade drive for library = $Z

I have a robotoic tape library with one drive, and I'd like to go to two. On the face of it, I expect $Z to be slightly more than $X due to housing jiggery pokery. But $Z should be less than half of $Y, because $Y includes 2 drives and the robot.

But the upgrade kit, which from what I can tell, contains little more than a straight drive, is (at first cut) around 4 times the price of $X.

Much sharper pencils come out, and it seems that the upgrade kit is now 84% of the cost of a brand new twin drive library.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:29     #12224
Reformed_Quint

The new word.

WHAT THE FUCKITY FUCK all big and colourful with zero usability... Where the fuck has the bar gone where i can change where my bullet points are.

ARGGHHHHHH typing a doco has taken me an hour and i've gotten no where, cause i can't find anything!!!

waaaaaaaaaah
Old 24th March 2009, 11:29     #12225
[BT]MikeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
What GMG today? The incongruencies of something called maths...

HP standalone LTO4 drive = $X

HP Robotic tape library with 2 LTO4 drives = $Y

HP LTO4 upgrade drive for library = $Z

I have a robotoic tape library with one drive, and I'd like to go to two. On the face of it, I expect $Z to be slightly more than $X due to housing jiggery pokery. But $Z should be less than half of $Y, because $Y includes 2 drives and the robot.

But the upgrade kit, which from what I can tell, contains little more than a straight drive, is (at first cut) around 4 times the price of $X.

Much sharper pencils come out, and it seems that the upgrade kit is now 84% of the cost of a brand new twin drive library.

Ahhh yes the Tape Library game.

They discount the libraies with drives to get sales and once you are locked in sting you for the upgrades.

Also the warranty on the drive is costed at 24x7x4 as the drive inherits the warranty support level of the library.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:44     #12226
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Fucking "Item on loan" receipts you get when taking a book out from the AU library. I don't need a fucking receipt for each book god damn...
Old 24th March 2009, 12:09     #12227
xor

We've got everything in our intranet. Users don't really have an excuse to say they don't know how to divert their phone, archive an inbox, manage the size of their inbox etc with all sorts of user things. So when a user calls asking us how to do something we simply tell them to look on the intranet.

Same goes for leave forms and a lot of other processes within the business. And people actually use it! it's pretty cool to see.

GMG: being at work and getting owned in a game of squash
Old 24th March 2009, 13:30     #12228
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
The new word.

WHAT THE FUCKITY FUCK all big and colourful with zero usability... Where the fuck has the bar gone where i can change where my bullet points are.

ARGGHHHHHH typing a doco has taken me an hour and i've gotten no where, cause i can't find anything!!!

waaaaaaaaaah
haha

hahaha

Yeah it's quite different eh
Old 24th March 2009, 13:57     #12229
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
The new word.

waaaaaaaaaah
They did that because they kept getting feature requests for stuff that they'd built in to Word several versions back but only Power Users could find them. [hint - usually they were in menus!]

So now, they changed it so that no one can find anything, and thus, no ones at a disadvantage!
Old 24th March 2009, 14:01     #12230
Ritalin

A curse on those who hide wasabi on the inside of sushi.
Old 24th March 2009, 18:29     #12231
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Seb
Fucking "Item on loan" receipts you get when taking a book out from the AU library. I don't need a fucking receipt for each book god damn...
Australia: It only has one library.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 24th March 2009, 19:01     #12232
doppelgänger of someone

ahem, AU => Auckland University

Each book has different due day, depends a lot of conditions (e.g. lecturer preference) hence different receipt, but the old skool, stamp on the front page, is a lot more green.
Old 24th March 2009, 20:43     #12233
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

No, not THAT Mr. Perkins.
Old 24th March 2009, 23:33     #12234
EvilLumpy

Having to be extremely subtle that it's my birthday again, really gmg
Old 25th March 2009, 06:24     #12235
Word

Crying fuck

Playing Left 4 dead on Expert trying to pass a campaign. Taking almost 4 hours and getting owned just before i jump on the boat to finish the map.
Old 25th March 2009, 08:57     #12236
Macca@Work

Stepping in dog shit.Not realising it right away until you get to the train station and wonder what the stench is.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:36     #12237
herp

The cunts at AA saying I need to pay $42.30 for a replacement driver license, seeing as my last one was stolen (*ahem* lost) just so they can process my application for a full license and then pay them $110 for that.

Money grabbing cunts.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:48     #12238
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Can't you just get a replacement restricted license?
Old 25th March 2009, 11:49     #12239
herp

And the ROBOT girl at the LTSA who just repeated memorised lines to every question I asked.

I dont want them to send out a replacement card because I'm only using the temporary license to apply for my full, so why bother sending out a restricted card when I don't fucken need it!!!!
Old 25th March 2009, 11:50     #12240
herp

Need a full license sebby so i can apply for my international license and drive overseas.

Ayyyyyyyyyyyy