NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 19th April 2013, 18:54     #81
A Corpse
talkative lurker

It's their way of turning the bananas up in the trolley of life.
Old 19th April 2013, 21:01     #82
Evoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
IIRC the Adoption Act does say that you can only adopt if you apply jointly with your "spouse", so that's probably one area where not being married clearly disadvantages someone.
I would rather marriage as a legal construct be abandoned altogether, but it appears to hold more power than defacto/civil union in some instances. Perhaps due to oversight?

on a related note, I saw in Stuff comments that a couple who don't really believe in marriage got married because civil union isn't recognised in other countries and they needed it for insurance, etc in Germany.

Would gay marriage be similarly not recognised in other countries?
Old 19th April 2013, 21:04     #83
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoke
Would gay marriage be similarly not recognised in other countries?
Short answer: Yes.

Indeed there's some states in the US where it's not recognised.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:08     #84
_indigo1

How is homosexuals wanting in on marriage based on the equality argument any different than a woman protesting that she doesn't have equal rights as she can not use men's bathrooms?

Marriage has always been about a man and a woman. AFAIK you get the same outcome with civil unions, you just can't call it marriage. The same as a woman can have a replica of a men's bathroom - she just can't officially label it a men's bathroom and have women using it.

What's next - we change the definition of woman to include homosexual men so they can say they need to go powder their nose with the other girls?

what's the problem? I have no issue with what they want except that the entire debate and political ramifications are a retarded example of political correctness and a complete waste of time and resource.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 23rd April 2013 at 20:12.
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:11     #85
Lightspeed

It's quite interesting, isn't it? How important our definitions and labels are to us.
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:15     #86
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
How is homosexuals wanting in on marriage based on the equality argument any different than a woman protesting that she doesn't have equal rights as she can not use men's bathrooms?
How is it different? I'm struggling to see anything beyond very superficial similarity between the two situations. You need to start your post again using a more credible starting position.
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:18     #87
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoke
I would rather marriage as a legal construct be abandoned altogether
You're properly catered for by being allowed to choose to not marry; this sort of freedom adequately extinguishes any perceived problem for most people who hold similarly abnormal desires.
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:36     #88
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
You're properly catered for by being allowed to choose to not marry; this sort of freedom adequately extinguishes any perceived problem for most people who hold similarly abnormal desires.
I understand where Evoke is coming from on that one though: If the legal status was - effectively - "Civil Union" - and marriage was kept as a social and cultural convention, it would have addressed many of the issues that people have been having.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:15     #89
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
I've accidentally used the Women's once. That was weird. Soft gentle music playing, their toilet seats warmed and cushioned to gently caress you as you go about your business, the advertisements on the wall for a Bachelor of the Year competition. The panicked feeling when you realise those advertisements aren't aimed at men, but at the women judging. The sinking feeling when you realise what you've done and wonder how you'll get out without anywoman seeing you.

Seriously, noone's missing out not being able to use their Other's bathrooms.
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:05     #90
fixed_truth

Quote:
Different types/degrees of discrimination are tolerated differently. Here discrimination by gender is tolerated because often it's practical to have different plumbing for different plumbing. Homosexuals not having access to Marriage is not as tolerated because there's no practical (or otherwise good) reason why they shouldn't have access to it. Btw gender-neutral bathrooms is actually a serious issues for transgender people.
Quote:
Marriage has always been about a man and a woman.
In New Zealand maybe. But tradition isn't always a good reason to tolerate inequality.
Quote:
AFAIK you get the same outcome with civil unions, you just can't call it marriage.
There was access to adoption differences, but yeah one used to discriminate based on sexual orientation for no good reason.
Quote:
what's the problem? I have no issue with what they want except that the entire debate and political ramifications are a retarded example of political correctness and a complete waste of time and resource.
I think it's great that same sex partners now have the same choice to get married as opposite sex partners have.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 23rd April 2013 at 22:07.
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:22     #91
leadinjector

well it just doesnt make much sense for gays to not be allowed to marry. its a straight up discrimination that helps nobody. your toilet thing is kinda dumb because that obviously DOES affect people if dudes start wandering into and using womens toilets (or vice versa i should say given the foul state of womens bathrooms). plus, there are plenty of toilets that ive seen that are for both (if its a single stall) if you really must have a dual gender toilet. much like how most churches wont marry a gay couple, but theres probably a few around if you really feel the need to get a religo marriage as opposed to a celebrant.

in what way are the rest of us inconvenienced by gay people getting married? not at all. what do gay people get from it? recognition. and the ability to be in on marriage jokes.
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:30     #92
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
..post..
Wow an intelligent reply.
Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:31     #93
Evoke

Quote:
I love it how you dismiss my question and restate what I said as a problem so you can insult me. I don't have an issue with marriage, I just don't understand its legal place in a government where civil unions and de facto recognition exist. Outside of the adoption problems previously stated, there appears to be no legal reason for marriage. And if it's a social/cultural thing, then what does the legal thing have to do with it? So then I thought, ok, maybe it's for recognition in other jurisdictions where they're not progressive enough to have de facto/civil union; but apparently it'd not be recognised anyway?
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:41     #94
Lightspeed

Pretty much. I suspect for some people marriage is Important and for it to be Important these people believe it has to be governed by law.

But I doubt any of these people could articulate this without the word "should" or equivalent.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 23rd April 2013 at 23:43.
Old 24th April 2013, 10:14     #95
Cyberbob

What's wrong with it just being governed by whatever church/sect/cult you belong to, and leave it at that?

If anyone wants to undertake a certain ceremony to solidify and announce their relationship status to whatever or whoever you feel the need to, go for it.

Crazy idea here, but how about an actual separation of church and state?

Next up: Facebook Relationship Status changes, and what legal impacts it has.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 24th April 2013 at 10:16.
Old 24th April 2013, 10:44     #96
Cyberbob

A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deut 22:12-21)

Any man with a beautiful wife may pass her off as his sister, and have her sleep with powerful men to his own advantage. (Gen. 12:13)

These are still law, right?
Old 24th April 2013, 10:55     #97
Trigger
Laserman

must be right, everything in the bible is true?
you wouldn't want to go against the word of god? unless of course you wish to burn in eternal hellfire
Old 24th April 2013, 11:17     #98
leadinjector

i love how christians feel like they have some kind of monopoly on marriage, and quote scripture about man and wife etc. people have been getting married in various forms all over the world for fucking ever in times and places where jaysus was unknown. what the fuck makes them think the bible has anything to do with marriage when it comes to non christians? im getting married next year in a vineyard with a non religo celebrant. shit has zero to do with teh bible
Old 24th April 2013, 12:07     #99
_indigo1

Christianity was obviously the first source of marriage.
Adam and Eve must have gotten married - otherwise they were covered in warm gooey sin.
Old 24th April 2013, 12:28     #100
Lightspeed

Laugh

Hahaha, yeah. Only Christians and atheists get married in NZ apparently.
Old 24th April 2013, 12:48     #101
Cyberbob

Quote:
Christianity was obviously the first source of marriage.
Adam and Eve must have gotten married - otherwise they were covered in warm gooey sin.
So who did their kids marry?
Old 24th April 2013, 13:04     #102
CCS
Stunt Pants

THEY MARRIED THEIR GOATS ! WHICH IS WHAT YOU GET IF YOU ALLOW HOMO MARRIAGE .
Old 24th April 2013, 13:18     #103
fixed_truth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22261494

you're up next Aussie lol
Old 24th April 2013, 13:33     #104
Lightspeed

o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
THEY MARRIED THEIR GOATS ! WHICH IS WHAT YOU GET IF YOU ALLOW HOMO MARRIAGE .
Goats married their kids?
Old 24th April 2013, 13:37     #105
CCS
Stunt Pants

your a goat
Old 24th April 2013, 15:20     #106
ZoSo

Devil grin

Typical French. Get the long haired feminine lesbians fronting and we get stuck with the wellington or waihekian short haired lesbo's.
Old 25th April 2013, 09:12     #107
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
shit has zero to do with teh bible
Yep - the religious connection / connotation is a historic curiosity. There are some fruit-loops that think otherwise but then these same folk believe and behave like this in all things; being a tolerant and inclusive society we just let them have their hand-holding ceremonies, chanting sessions, silly story tellings, and we ignore them whilst they rant and rave from their club houses.

I support fully that Christians be allowed to carry on like this since there are numerous ways they improve my life. As I've said before one of the main ways is how they help keep the carpark at the mall clear for me on a Sunday morning. Long may this all last.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:40     #108
CCS
Stunt Pants

<3 GT
Old 25th April 2013, 14:05     #109
Lightspeed

Quote:
I support fully that Christians be allowed to carry on like this since there are numerous ways they improve my life.
So GT is a Christian eh? Suck it Sunnis, Wiccans, Bhuddists, or whoever else may want a religious marriage ceremony!
Old 25th April 2013, 14:23     #110
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 26th April 2013, 08:09     #111
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deut 22:12-21)

Any man with a beautiful wife may pass her off as his sister, and have her sleep with powerful men to his own advantage. (Gen. 12:13)

These are still law, right?
related: