Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 5th February 2008, 22:45     #81
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
So why go to Australia? Its 90% much the same as NZ. Hardly spreading the wings.
I wouldn't say 90%, more like 20% (with that 20% being a love for rugby and beer) somethings are the same but I'd say as a whole it's pretty fucken different.
Old 5th February 2008, 23:44     #82
ipee

That's weird..............I lived in Brisbane for about a year and I never got that feeling that I was actually living in another country. Admittedly the heat would remind me sometimes that I wasn't in NZ anymore but other than that, everything else very similar.
Old 5th February 2008, 23:58     #83
Toksin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
So why go to Australia?
Never said I was
Old 6th February 2008, 03:25     #84
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
Hahaha mint bro! Hit us up when you get here, might be able to hook you up with a room (if the missus allows it - fucken oats I'm whipped).
haha shall see how the finances play out, am almost recovered from xmas/bdo/the police

stupid expensive weekends raping mah monahs
Old 6th February 2008, 08:10     #85
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipee
That's weird..............I lived in Brisbane for about a year and I never got that feeling that I was actually living in another country. Admittedly the heat would remind me sometimes that I wasn't in NZ anymore but other than that, everything else very similar.
depends on how much of a mind-fuck you get with things like identical products but with a slightly twisted brand name.
Old 6th February 2008, 23:02     #86
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipee
Maybe it's just us then, probably still buzzing off places like DFO.
Old 6th February 2008, 23:43     #87
doppelgänger of someone

Sex = Six
Safeway = Woolworth
Hungry Jack's = Burger King
Home brand = Home brand
Old 9th February 2008, 22:54     #88
Draco T Bastard

Looks like National may have difficulty in persuading most of NZ that the low wages in the country are due to the Labour government.
Old 9th February 2008, 23:25     #89
MadMax
Stuff

how long before aussies start to migrate to nz for lack of water?
Old 10th February 2008, 00:31     #90
Ard Righ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
Looks like National may have difficulty in persuading most of NZ that the low wages in the country are due to the Labour government.
National would do themselves a favour by apologising for their policies during the 90s that put the employers into the position where they are now, expecting to cream record profits, and complaining when employees ask for wage increases that better the rate of inflation.
Old 10th February 2008, 15:28     #91
Draco T Bastard

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/46...0491537&pnum=0
Quote:
Profits are way up and business has been so successful here that the Reserve Bank has to keep jacking up the interest rates to slow the economy. The World Bank continues to commend our government for its pro-business policies and rates us number one on Earth when it comes to supporting business.

Therefore it must be galling to the Government that the chiefs of certain employer groups keep demanding that the Government create an even more pro-business environment. I suspect this has more to do with politics than business.

<snip>

We have become a basket case and it's a disgrace. The Finance Minister begging employers to pay a decent wage won't work.
I usually don't agree with this guy (I actually think he's a dickhead) but I found this article to contain some truth.
Old 10th February 2008, 15:45     #92
cyc
Objection!

McCarten is an idiot. Do I think NZ employers have some serious cultural issues (e.g. too much of the "pay peanuts and expect plenty" mentality and too focussed on personality issues at the workplace)? Sure. But this idea that employers pretty much all universally try to cream off the profits (OMG HOW AWFUL THAT SOMEONE WANTS TO MAKE A PROFIT) instead of adequately reinvesting money into businesses so they can continue making money is just crap. There might be some irrational dolts who think they can just cream away every year but sooner or later you need to reinvest to survive and people know it.

Of course, you'll NEVER hear McCarten tell anyone that unionists who do nothing for workers but cause disruption actually do nothing to contribute to the NZ economy, nor will you hear a thing from him about the unions' abject refusal to countenance any sort of performance-related pay. WE CAN'T ABANDON THE MEDIOCRE, CAN WE??
Old 10th February 2008, 16:19     #93
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
McCarten is an idiot. Do I think NZ employers have some serious cultural issues (e.g. too much of the "pay peanuts and expect plenty" mentality and too focussed on personality issues at the workplace)? Sure. But this idea that employers pretty much all universally try to cream off the profits (OMG HOW AWFUL THAT SOMEONE WANTS TO MAKE A PROFIT) instead of adequately reinvesting money into businesses so they can continue making money is just crap.
My last company paid everyone peanuts yet hugely invested into the infrastructure that kept the company going. The problem I always found in NZ was that you got paid sweet fuck all, expectations were exceedingly high and you're often seen as an expendable asset. Your value as an employee is low and employers tend to remind you of this.

Last edited by Genesis : 10th February 2008 at 16:20.
Old 10th February 2008, 16:49     #94
pk_wasp

NZ employers pay peanuts because they figured most young people in their 20s will just bugger off overseas anyway, so why bother "investing" in them + there's endless supply of "cheap labour" flooding out of universities to fill the gaps.
Old 10th February 2008, 19:21     #95
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_wasp
NZ employers pay peanuts because they figured most young people in their 20s will just bugger off overseas anyway
Which is utterly retarded. It does nothing more than give you the boot on the way out.
Old 10th February 2008, 21:16     #96
Fx.

i haet you for afkin on our conversation gen

HAET
Old 10th February 2008, 21:45     #97
Bent

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4395820a1861.html

I don't like Michael Laws at all but aside from his gross generalisations on the nature of new zealanders and australians, some of his points make sense to me.
Old 10th February 2008, 23:39     #98
Draco T Bastard

Some of his points. We used to have a similar can-do attitude as he says Oz has but we seem to have lost it over the last 20 odd years and become cheap and nasty instead.
Old 11th February 2008, 00:14     #99
leadinjector

the bigges thing that has always gotten to me and other people in my family (originally poms) is the tall poppy syndrome here. one of the biggest hurdles a lot of people doing a recent course with me had was how to actually ask someone for the dosh- Earning money is almost seen as some kind of horrible thing to do in this country. Being someone who earns a decent wage means you must be corrupt in some way, which is of course total bollocks. this is one of the main reasons im moving to aus- im sick and fucking tired of people treating me like a pariah because i can and do charge people 50 dollars for half an hour of my time, whereas a short flight away there is a country that would pat me on the back for the same fucking thing (and pay me 65-70 for that half hour)
Old 11th February 2008, 09:23     #100
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
the bigges thing that has always gotten to me and other people in my family (originally poms) is the tall poppy syndrome here. one of the biggest hurdles a lot of people doing a recent course with me had was how to actually ask someone for the dosh- Earning money is almost seen as some kind of horrible thing to do in this country. Being someone who earns a decent wage means you must be corrupt in some way, which is of course total bollocks. this is one of the main reasons im moving to aus- im sick and fucking tired of people treating me like a pariah because i can and do charge people 50 dollars for half an hour of my time, whereas a short flight away there is a country that would pat me on the back for the same fucking thing (and pay me 65-70 for that half hour)
Why do you care what people think of you to start with - thats always confused me actually - and I find it funny that you'll shift to Aussie to avoid this when they're the country that (as far as I am aware) originally coined the tall poppy phrase (and syndrome) to start with :-)

Personally I don't think that tall poppy syndrome even exists - I tend to feel that people use it as an excuse to get up set that they don't feel they're getting the recognition that they deserve.

Pixie
Old 11th February 2008, 10:12     #101
Ard Righ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Of course, you'll NEVER hear McCarten tell anyone that unionists who do nothing for workers but cause disruption actually do nothing to contribute to the NZ economy, nor will you hear a thing from him about the unions' abject refusal to countenance any sort of performance-related pay. WE CAN'T ABANDON THE MEDIOCRE, CAN WE??
Bias much? Guess you've never had a job where Unions have bargained for better pay? Ever worked in a supermarket as a kid? Ever had to do a cleaners job for a living?

Unions do quite a lot of work for the low-skilled and low-paid in this country. All those teenagers that get their $8.50+/hr for working in supermarkets and fast food stores can thank the Unions for bargaining a decent wage for them, regardless of whether they realise the Unions did it in the first place.

Don't bag the Unions based on biased media pieces, if you've never actually been involved with one.
Old 11th February 2008, 10:26     #102
Omegakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
I have recently returned from Oz form a holiday. nice place... shame about the racism... i hope your white, otherwise you might find it tough going.

Last edited by Omegakai : 11th February 2008 at 10:27.
Old 11th February 2008, 10:52     #103
LFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Righ
Bias much? Guess you've never had a job where Unions have bargained for better pay? Ever worked in a supermarket as a kid? Ever had to do a cleaners job for a living?

Unions do quite a lot of work for the low-skilled and low-paid in this country. All those teenagers that get their $8.50+/hr for working in supermarkets and fast food stores can thank the Unions for bargaining a decent wage for them, regardless of whether they realise the Unions did it in the first place.

Don't bag the Unions based on biased media pieces, if you've never actually been involved with one.
I have been learning a bit about HR methodoligies lately and pluralism is the way to go from what I have been reading.

Unions have there place in succesful businesses that promote innovation and increased productivity , Fisher and Paykel are a prime example.
Old 11th February 2008, 10:54     #104
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegakai
I have recently returned from Oz form a holiday. nice place... shame about the racism... i hope your white, otherwise you might find it tough going.
iirc you look pretty obviously maori? they not like any darkies or they mistaking you for aborigional ?
Old 11th February 2008, 10:54     #105
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
What is Melbourne like? I like big cities that have nice architecture/european influence (and girls). Can anyone give me a rundown on why I shouldn't go there to live?

P.S. I'm in A(f)uckland right now...

<Ahhhem>...
Old 11th February 2008, 11:04     #106
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/46...0491537&pnum=0

I usually don't agree with this guy (I actually think he's a dickhead) but I found this article to contain some truth.
I rate McCarten. Need someone to be speaking up for the left. I think we get too bombarded with the views of Business NZ. Case in point, turned on the telly the other day and douche bag from one news was interviewing guy from business nz and basically agreeing wtih him that "all nz'ers want tax cuts" - journalist FAIL. Go to nzherald today and I'm told that the fat-cat roundtable says our taxes are too high (again).

it is commonly accepted by the leading economic think tanks and institutions that our business environment is one of the best, if not THE best in the world.

why dont they shut the fuck up and be grateful?
Old 11th February 2008, 11:09     #107
LFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Seb
Greed.
Old 11th February 2008, 11:13     #108
Omegakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
iirc you look pretty obviously maori? they not like any darkies or they mistaking you for aborigional ?
they kept thinking i was Indian, and made various references to monkeys... WTF i don't even look remotely Indian.
Old 11th February 2008, 11:50     #109
Fx.

mmm, arab you could pull off but indian no

did you respond to them asking whne they got out of prison / con jokes? cause i think thats the standard response to aussies

shoulda just punched em in teh head
Old 11th February 2008, 12:29     #110
Omegakai

Kinda hard when they are driving past, yelling out of a window. on a deserted stretch of beach... then again it was Australian day weekend,and everyone was acting yokel. Something else that got to me was the Unimaginative-ness of Australian street names, distracts. and on yeah Public holidays.

did heaps of cool shit thou. went to Dracula's. it was grand.
Old 11th February 2008, 13:30     #111
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Seb
I rate McCarten. Need someone to be speaking up for the left. I think we get too bombarded with the views of Business NZ. Case in point, turned on the telly the other day and douche bag from one news was interviewing guy from business nz and basically agreeing wtih him that "all nz'ers want tax cuts" - journalist FAIL. Go to nzherald today and I'm told that the fat-cat roundtable says our taxes are too high (again).

it is commonly accepted by the leading economic think tanks and institutions that our business environment is one of the best, if not THE best in the world.

Because NZ'ers aren't dependent enough upon big business yet.
Old 11th February 2008, 13:37     #112
Cyberbob

Quote:
Something else that got to me was the Unimaginative-ness of Australian street names.
I thought everything was named after some sort of variation of Narrapookawangabogong over there
Old 11th February 2008, 14:50     #113
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/677069a17218.html

Last edited by Farmer Joe : 11th February 2008 at 14:51.
Old 11th February 2008, 15:32     #114
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
mmm, arab you could pull off but indian no

did you respond to them asking whne they got out of prison / con jokes? cause i think thats the standard response to aussies

shoulda just punched em in teh head
Arab/indian whats the dif? :P
Old 11th February 2008, 15:57     #115
Omegakai

At least i could handle Arab / Persian, but Fucking being called Indian. srsly.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:32     #116
Omegakai

Other things i found odd about OZ.
EFTPOS in Oz isnt as widely used as it is here, When you say you have a pin number on your Visa, They politely tell you that visas cant have pin numbers (happened at least 3 times)
And Recites OMFG, they are like the size of your supermarket ones, super huge and long for like a 95cent pack of gum... save a tree or something.
Some law about light bulbs, you have to have the energy saver ones, its like law or something soon. But you can run your aircon all day, which business often do, walked past some surf shop that was open at 10pm in surfers, massively huge open doors, and the aircon running as if it was trying to cool the whole country.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:55     #117
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
And Recites OMFG, they are like the size of your supermarket ones, super huge and long for like a 95cent pack of gum...
I was wondering why he was reciting OMFG...
Old 11th February 2008, 17:09     #118
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
they kept thinking i was Indian, and made various references to monkeys... WTF i don't even look remotely Indian.
Indian cricket team, Andrew Symonds, monkey, etc etc.
Old 11th February 2008, 19:13     #119
leadinjector

im about as aryan as it gets. missus is some kind of persian thing, everyone thinks shes from the middle east. or a mexican.

its not so much giving a shit what other people think (come on youve seen my posts on here... ) but being sick and tired of cunts who fail where ive succeeded giving me shit about it.

not that i dont love living in NZ, cos I do, but id rather go see what its like on the other side of the ditch and if it sucks i can come back.
Old 11th February 2008, 19:53     #120
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Righ

Bias much? What I WAS saying (and you'd get this if you weren't so interested in one-sided union propaganda slothing) is that McCarten would never tell you a thing about the contribution of the so called "poor workers" and their associated hangers on, e.g. unions, have made to our economic predicament.

I actually suggested in my post that I do recognise some businesspeople are shortsighted and greedy. That recognition does not require of me, or anybody with an IQ over 80 for that matter, to absolve all others of their responsibility for our lack of economic success. You have actually read and learnt that NZ has some of the lowest productivity in the OECD, right?