NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 27th November 2011, 02:49     #81
ipee

I intentionally refrained from voting in this election. Due to certain commitments i won't be living in NZ for the next 3 years so thought it unfair that i should have a say in what direction NZ takes for the next few years at least.
Old 27th November 2011, 10:41     #82
fixed_truth

dim-post Post election autopsy
Quote:
The polls predicted a comfortable majority for the National Party and New Zealand First under 5%. What happened? I’m guessing it was the extremely poor voter turn-out. I read somewhere it was the worst since the 1880s. This meant that the votes cast were not proportionate to the support in the wider population. New Zealand First voters showed up. Labour voters – and to a lesser degree, National voters – didn’t.

National: Were a first term government with a popular leader, an opposition party in tatters and a public desperate for stability during a time of national crisis. They were coasting to a historic majority win until they actually began campaigning, which they did with such ineptness they bled votes to the Conservative Party and New Zealand First. They have coalition options to build a comfortable majority, but the other senior Ministers in the party must be wondering how their leadership will perform if they ever have a genuine fight on their hands.

Labour: Needs to rebuild its brand, and the best way to do that is with a raft of resignations of its incompetent, despised front-bench, so it can return some of the talent they lost last night. They need to do the same with their senior staffers. There’s a venomous culture of entitlement and unaccountability poisoning this political party.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 27th November 2011 at 10:42.
Old 27th November 2011, 11:23     #83
Deadmeat

Random thought...

National = 58
+ Act's 5 = 63
+ Dunne = 64
+ Maori's 5 = 69

National = 60
+ Act = 61
+ Dunne = 62
+ Maori's 3 = 65

It doesn't really look like National have gained a huge amount of ground despite Labour's rout. If anything the Maori party may be the disproportionate winners this time round.

edit:
2008 results
2011 prelim results
For those wanting to compare the two results in a similar format

Last edited by Deadmeat : 27th November 2011 at 11:25.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:49     #84
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Key's acceptance-speech-slash-interview on 3news with Campbell, Henry, and Trotter was incredible.
Anyone got a link to this by any chance?
Old 27th November 2011, 14:50     #85
tarzan007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipee
I intentionally refrained from voting in this election. Due to certain commitments i won't be living in NZ for the next 3 years so thought it unfair that i should have a say in what direction NZ takes for the next few years at least.
That's a bit silly. I am overseas and won't be home for the next 3 years also, but I want to see the country do well. I don't want to return home in 3 years and it be up shit creek. Election terms are for 3 years, but they have longer lasting effects than that.
Old 27th November 2011, 17:26     #86
GRiM ReeFer

only 65% of eligible voters turned out, NAT wins with 35% of eligible votes, some mandate.

3 years for labour to realize the country needs a strong leader, not a shoulder to cry on, they still don't get it,

Now Key will make good on his promise of selling the country bit by bit, we are all fucked now, thanks to all parties involved, NAT ACT Labour, Winston First and green, they all have their share of retarded polices, just which is the worst was the question, my bet is NAT will destroy NZ, I'll take a wait and see approach, no need for name calling, most of us are spectators watching the circus,
Old 27th November 2011, 18:12     #87
[WanG] Wandarah

Why would any political party want to 'destroy' the country they Govern?
Old 27th November 2011, 18:30     #88
oOo Dragon oOo

Wasn't the whole point of National Selling Assets off to try and get NZ out of financial crap?
Old 27th November 2011, 20:09     #89
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiM ReeFer
some mandate
It was a sunny day with an average walk distance of 1.47 km for a voter. Everyone knew National was going to win. They did. There's your mandate - most people knew they didn't even need to vote to get what they wanted.

If you like that's 35% from those dedicated enough to go to the polling station plus another 35% from those who knew they didn't need to go, giving National a landslide 70% support.
Old 27th November 2011, 20:48     #90
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiM ReeFer
only 65% of eligible voters turned out
One News had it at 73%, down from 78-9% in 2008.
Old 27th November 2011, 20:56     #91
GRiM ReeFer

well you could GT,
but you could also say that is 35% of labour supporters unable to walk 1.4 kms due to diabetic coma's, or simple to lazy to even act in self interest, preferring instead to wait for someone else to hand deliver their forms to them.

or you could also say that only 65% of the vote was counted...

either way 65% is a bad reflection on NZ as a whole, also funny since Auckland Local body elections got 90% turn out.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:33     #92
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

65% would be a bad reflection. If that was the turnout. And it wasn't.

AFAIK the correct number is 73.83%, with approximately quarter of a million special votes not yet counted.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:52     #93
GRiM ReeFer

Looks like we're both wrong, could the special votes cause much change?

Around 1 million eligible people didn’t vote in this year’s general election, data from the Electoral Commission’s website shows.

Enrolment was relatively high, with 93.2 percent of an estimated 3,276,000 eligible voters enrolling on either the general or Maori roll.

However only 2,235,054 votes were cast – including special votes – which brings the voter turnout to 73.2 percent of the enrolled voters, and only 68 percent of the eligible population.

The 2008 voter turnout was 79.5 percent of enrolled voters

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Voting-turnou...#ixzz1etDk9z4H
Old 28th November 2011, 00:54     #94
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
One News had it at 73%, down from 78-9% in 2008.
73% of registered voters, which is about 68% of people eligible to vote.
Old 28th November 2011, 00:56     #95
adonis

Bryce Edwards on the turnout http://liberation.typepad.com/libera...disgusted.html
Old 28th November 2011, 05:54     #96
Deadmeat

I think adonis has the right take on the two numbers.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:02     #97
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Key's acceptance-speech-slash-interview on 3news with Campbell, Henry, and Trotter was incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Anyone got a link to this by any chance?
I'm trying to find a recording, will post if I find one. Either he had a pre-prepared carefully-polished speech memorised, or he improvised one of the best on-the-spot political speeches I've heard.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:28     #98
Juju
get to da choppa

Did a google for "John key campbell" and first result =

http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-John-Ke...8/Default.aspx
Old 28th November 2011, 13:25     #99
[WanG] Wandarah

Not sure what the fuck is so amazing about that.

Anyway, I didn't vote National - but I do like the way he answered when asked about other parties.