Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 24th August 2016, 23:39     #11361
FireStorm
Holmium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
As a result of shopping online with Countdown (once), I was entered into a draw to win a Samsung Family Hub fridge. The specs are utterly ridiculous - I'll let you be the judge:

http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/fa...-refrigerator/

The first I knew about this promotion was when a nice man from head office called to tell me "some good news" - I was one of four winners, and that I would be getting the world's smartest fridge delivered when they hit NZ in October.

Needless to say, I was blown away! (people actually WIN these promotions? me? but I... when did.. what?)

Props to Countdown and Samsung
Congrats! A few years back, I won a dishwasher from Countdown too. Just used my onecard buying certain items. Didn't even buy them for the purpose of the promotion. It does happen.
Old 25th August 2016, 10:31     #11362
MadMax
Stuff

Recall in 3... 2...

Nah just jelly
Old 31st August 2016, 23:27     #11363
MadMax
Stuff

Numberworks

Ever since taking our 6 year old along to this place once a week he has completely changes his attitude to learning maths.
Old 2nd September 2016, 23:11     #11364
MadMax
Stuff

Old 7th September 2016, 10:35     #11365
Savage

This new toy will be oiling my gears when I take possession in a couple of weeks.

Old 7th September 2016, 12:55     #11366
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Mean bro! Don't forget protective gear, hospital cover (dunno if Aussie offers Kiwis an ACC equivalent?), insurance, and a spare pair of undies for any close calls.

Is it new? You can be the first to put a big scratch down the fairing and snap a brake/clutch lever :>

Be careful bro, don't be too much of a hero...
Old 9th September 2016, 17:57     #11367
Savage

Quote:
Mean bro! Don't forget protective gear, hospital cover (dunno if Aussie offers Kiwis an ACC equivalent?), insurance, and a spare pair of undies for any close calls.

Is it new? You can be the first to put a big scratch down the fairing and snap a brake/clutch lever :>

Be careful bro, don't be too much of a hero...
Yes to all of the above Textile jacket with spine protector, kevlar inserts, kevlar jeans, carbon knuckled gloves, boots, helmet etc. Life, TPD, and vehicle insurance all sorted, and I bought a flash new triple pack of undies just the other day!

It is new - due to a juicy special, the price difference between brand new and a slightly scratched up 2013 model was $1k.

Has ABS, slipper clutch, clutch assist etc, all the things a noob needs I think ^_^
Old 12th September 2016, 21:10     #11368
Macca@Work

You can have a 700 W noise system to let ppl know ur coming and have lights like a huge pinball machine and some fuktard will still bang into you.
(some fukwad t boned me a few years ago)

anyway..got picked for a project at work,the builder is finally starting our extention, and what the hey its spring.spent all sunday riding. so gears oiled.
Old 14th September 2016, 14:06     #11369
Savage

At long fucking last, fiber to the building coming to our apartment building 8.5mbit DSL can eat a bowl of dicks.
Old 2nd February 2017, 23:00     #11370
StN
I have detailed files

Buying a '90s ultimate-workstation-of-grunt on TradeMe for $32 but having it lanquish in the garge for a year. Guy selling it said he could never get the GUI to start, so only ran it headless.

Managed to get the IRIX GUI running on it - and the demo pack includes Doom (running inside some kind of PC emulation window?) but I think the 13W3 kludge I built has a bung Red connection - things are a bit blue.

SGI Indigo² FTW (I think it was the same kind of box Mr P Jackson was tossing up between leasing and buying back when making Heavenly Creatures - or maybe The Frighteners.)

Looks like this:

Next up - getting my Indy to do the same...
Old 3rd February 2017, 00:23     #11371
Lightspeed

That sounds sweet. How about an actual pic of the setup?
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:52     #11372
StN
I have detailed files

Well, Ok then - got tied up swapping out the sparkplugs on the hatchback (bloody cramped in there for 8 of them!)

Here's the rack-of-unix as it was a few months back - nothing has really changed. A SparkLX on top of the Indigo, and a pile of external SCSI CD/Tape drives out of shot. And an iMac Sunflower tucked away at the back.

From top to bottom there is the Indigo² (too fat for a 19" rack); an RJ45 rail (which I will eventually link to the serial ports of each machine so I can hang a terminal off each); 19" widescreen LCD; Classic Compaq mini keyboard and trackball combo (with mini KVM); Sun Sparc10 (Does not have PS/2 keyboard/mouse support); HP um thing (I can't remember, but it runs HPUX and I used one back in the mid '90s at Trimble); Sun Netra headless; A couple of rack mount PCs running Ubuntu; Compaq/Dec DS10 running CentOS - funny colour - a mixture of classic DEC and Compaq badging just before HP bought them out; Compaq disk array; Compaq/Dec DS20 - runs True64:

And here's the Indigo running stuff without the glorious red gun:

Goddamnit iForce - why you no disk space???

Last edited by StN : 3rd February 2017 at 12:53.
Old 3rd February 2017, 16:47     #11373
CCS
Stunt Pants

So uhhh.... what are you going to do with all that guff?

I've constantly had those same issues with iforce. I dunno what they're playing at. I wonder if they've stopped trying.
Old 4th February 2017, 10:20     #11374
StN
I have detailed files

I dunno - but my garage is turning into a 90's museum.
Old 30th March 2017, 11:24     #11375
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
From top to bottom there is the Indigo² (too fat for a 19" rack); an RJ45 rail (which I will eventually link to the serial ports of each machine so I can hang a terminal off each); 19" widescreen LCD; Classic Compaq mini keyboard and trackball combo (with mini KVM); Sun Sparc10 (Does not have PS/2 keyboard/mouse support); HP um thing (I can't remember, but it runs HPUX and I used one back in the mid '90s at Trimble); Sun Netra headless; A couple of rack mount PCs running Ubuntu; Compaq/Dec DS10 running CentOS - funny colour - a mixture of classic DEC and Compaq badging just before HP bought them out; Compaq disk array; Compaq/Dec DS20 - runs True64:
Old 30th March 2017, 13:00     #11376
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Once upon a time I was building up a rack of shit at home to play with - not as impressive as Stoolie's of course, but a couple of Debian and Solaris boxes and a nice networked UPS and it was all a lot of fun. Until I moved house.
Old 5th April 2017, 08:49     #11377
pxpx

Put in 18m of french drain (slotted pvc embedded in gravel) along my back fence line recently. Had never done any drainage DIY before, did a bit of googling/youtubing and just started digging.

Had its first proper test in the rain last night and performed fucking perfectly.
Old 5th April 2017, 10:49     #11378
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Put in 18m of french drain (slotted pvc embedded in gravel) along my back fence line recently. Had never done any drainage DIY before, did a bit of googling/youtubing and just started digging.

Had its first proper test in the rain last night and performed fucking perfectly.

Gonna have to do that on our driveway at some point. It's a gravel drive below street level that slopes away from the road at a shallow angle. The rain last night shifted a shit ton of stones and created a little canyon in one of the vehicle tracks.
The driveway does have silt traps - I emptied them in the weekend and they're already full and overflowing. sux.
Old 17th May 2017, 09:04     #11379
Fx.

Your .NEXT Conference Pass Request Has Been Approved

wooo
goin to a conference just down the road from the white house; excited and scared tbh should be fun to see Washington but dont know if im hoping for a quiet week or some crazy protest
Old 6th June 2017, 10:55     #11380
Savage

New toy oils my gears; picked up an immaculate 2015/16 Triumph Daytona 675R on the weekend. Absolute blast riding this thing
Old 7th June 2017, 18:52     #11381
StN
I have detailed files

Blokes in sheds. Now for the real race in Bermuda.
Old 7th June 2017, 20:58     #11382
Cyberbob

New home PC build. If it boots the first time I'll be happy.
Old 7th June 2017, 22:08     #11383
Cyberbob

Aaaand got as far as installing the motherboard when I noticed a defect in the case that won't let the backplane sit right.
Old 9th June 2017, 18:12     #11384
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Aaaand got as far as installing the motherboard when I noticed a defect in the case that won't let the backplane sit right.
Bwaaahhhh.

What did you end up choosing?

Did you go for performance/W, performance/$, or maximum model numbers?
Old 17th June 2017, 19:47     #11385
Macca@Work

Enjoying Life

So I left Spark at Christmas time.Had 3 months rest ( gaming, riding, having beerseys watching cricket) Now a stay at home foster dad , and my wife is going down to 20 hours at her job at victims support.So the work hours are a bit askew so We do what we can to make sure we have down time.Having said that,most days I can get away for a ride.

Gears Oiled.
(fostering actually changes you in a positive sort of way.)
Old 17th June 2017, 22:05     #11386
madmaxii

Well done you two!
Old 17th June 2017, 22:09     #11387
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca@Work
So I left Spark at Christmas time.Had 3 months rest ( gaming, riding, having beerseys watching cricket) Now a stay at home foster dad , and my wife is going down to 20 hours at her job at victims support.So the work hours are a bit askew so We do what we can to make sure we have down time.Having said that,most days I can get away for a ride.

Gears Oiled.
I both envy and applaud you.
Old 17th June 2017, 23:31     #11388
Cyberbob

Quote:
Bwaaahhhh.

What did you end up choosing?

Did you go for performance/W, performance/$, or maximum model numbers?
Performance on a budget. AMD 1600, GeForce 1060. Gigabyte Gaming3 mobo. New 240gb SSD and 3TB SATA to replace the one that just died.
Old 26th June 2017, 14:36     #11389
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

Gears Oiled.
big up that man
Old 26th June 2017, 14:45     #11390
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Pie recommendation: Fast and Fresh Bakery, Horomatangi St Taupo.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:14     #11391
StN
I have detailed files

I finally made something that actually works!

OMG - major milestone yesterday.

I'd seen this thing on thingiverse, and I mused that I had all that stuff in the garage, so I could probably knock one out pretty quickly. Turns out the calibration of the new 3d printer is different to that of my old one (which I strapped a laser to and made a cutter) so the holes don't line up between media cut vs printed, but meh, whats a 3mm hole to drill?

So yeah, plywood all cut, plastic bits all printed, and ready for a bit of an arduino wireup and programming when...

In walks the boy - "Hey Dad, now that I have my license, do you want me to drop you at the pub this afternoon?"

OMG - it worked!

I might get around to the rubberband gun later.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:34     #11392
crocos

Hahahaha perfect

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 16th October 2017, 09:59     #11393
Macca@Work

Gears oiled: bought a honda vfr 800 did a fly and ride from palmy to Auckland.
Gears ran dry- went for a massive ride was 10 minutes from home -first corner in the hunuas heading west bike hit gravel lost traction went into a bank.The good news-low speed impact light damage to fairing etc.
bad news-broken leg
Old 25th October 2017, 13:04     #11394
Savage

Quote:
Gears oiled: bought a honda vfr 800 did a fly and ride from palmy to Auckland.

Quote:
Gears ran dry- went for a massive ride was 10 minutes from home -first corner in the hunuas heading west bike hit gravel lost traction went into a bank.The good news-low speed impact light damage to fairing etc.
bad news-broken leg
Dislike Hope you're healed up and riding again soon.
Old 29th October 2017, 11:24     #11395
ZoSo

Kiwis vs Samoa challenges, were great!
Go the World Cup.
Old 29th October 2017, 13:52     #11396
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage

Dislike Hope you're healed up and riding again soon.
3 more weeks in plaster.The only good thing is the riding weather has been mainly shit.so I'm not missing out that much.

(sold my harley to pay for the honda so gears oiled in that respect.)
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:39     #11397
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN back in 2002
Sorry Torka - my bad.

Torka had mentioned that perhaps a 3 year old shouldn't watch some of the more violent aspects of LotR.

I agree - the first time around, I turned off the screen when the final battle got a bit hairy, but now when he watches it, he's running around the lounge with his light sword smoting the Orcs.

He walked in once when Scream was on TV2 and for some reason the mask and cloak freaks him out - he's even convinced that the Scout troopers in RoTJ are actually monsters because the helmet resembles the Scream mask - so naturally they are his favourite Lego man.

But RoboCop, MadMax, Se7en, Hanibal, A Clockwork Orange and NBK will stay on the top shelf for a very long time.
Hmm, I guess he must have turned out ok - in the intervening years he ended up reading Clockwork Orange, and he hasn't droog'd out. He appreciates the new interpretation of Mr Rockatansky, and is still first to tell me in the morning that a new SW trailer has dropped. The quakes set things back a bit, but once we got a new house, he has settled in to a study focus like none I have ever seen - certainly didn't get it from me.

Congrats on getting Dux son.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:16     #11398
pxpx

legit. good dadding stn
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:11     #11399
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
In walks the boy - "Hey Dad, now that I have my license, do you want me to drop you at the pub this afternoon?"
Missed this when first posted. Fucking ACE.

Nice work Stoolie
Old 6th November 2017, 22:00     #11400
Savage

Quote:
3 more weeks in plaster.The only good thing is the riding weather has been mainly shit.so I'm not missing out that much.

(sold my harley to pay for the honda so gears oiled in that respect.)
That's another thing I'm happy for over here (Brisneyland); when it rains it's usually late(ish) at night, leaving plenty of time for rides. Rode down to Willowbank Raceway on Saturday arvo for some quarter mile runs, managed an 11.6 second pb on my Daytona. Gears well oiled