NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 16th September 2012, 12:59     #11361
CCS
Stunt Pants

That's a pretty weak comparison ad from Samsung. Siri / S Voice. Wut? Unless you're already a Samsung fanboi, you won't know wtf S Voice is. Same with Smart Stay, ShareShot, Palm Touch Pause Mute, Smart Alert, etc etc. Most people in the market for a phone are going to read that shit, shrug and say "iunno". Then they'll buy an iphone.
Old 16th September 2012, 13:19     #11362
TnT

The removable battery argument again? What they don't tell you is you need to have a removable battery because when your phone locks completely up, that's the only way to 'fix' it.
Old 16th September 2012, 14:08     #11363
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I don't see "feels like plastic because it is"
Old 16th September 2012, 14:11     #11364
TnT

I'm assuming that 'It doesn't take a genius' to work that out.
Old 16th September 2012, 19:46     #11365
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That ad demonstrates perfectly why Apple totally dominates the phone industry. After just about every one of those points a non-geek could ask "what the fuck does that mean and how does it make my life easier?"

Eg, this Samsung ad says "the gs3 has 2 gb of ram and the iphone only has 1 gb" as if that actually means something. No one in the real world cares. Apple hasn't even announced what ram the IP5 has because apple knows no one other than an android sperg gives a shit.

This ad is basically an ad for apple and Samsung doesn't even realise it.
Old 16th September 2012, 20:41     #11366
Baal

I'm not convinced ordinary people aren't swayed by specs.
Old 16th September 2012, 20:49     #11367
lambchop

if samsung where smart, they would be pushing NFC hard ...i mean apple really dropped the ball on that one. the tech works and is seriously useful.

snapper/ s-beam / nfc tags ...

i mean yr right, alot of those points in that ad are kinda meaningless to most people. but nfc, wifi direct, smart stay .... push that shitz man. most apple users don't even know what nfc is ..and they will stay oblivious until the day it's trucked out to some future iphone as something apple invented :/
Old 16th September 2012, 21:11     #11368
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I don't care about NFC for paying for things. Actually, it's better than that - I absolutely do not want to pay for things using NFC.
Old 16th September 2012, 21:14     #11369
BWDOWN

NFC has gone nowhere in the last 2 years in NZ. Why publicise something people won't use / care about? Pointless IMHO
Old 16th September 2012, 21:19     #11370
doppelgänger of someone

Pay with Square already does mobile payment without NFC. Just GPS. And Starbuck in US is using it already.
Old 16th September 2012, 22:18     #11371
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDOWN
NFC has gone nowhere in the last 2 years in NZ. Why publicise something people won't use / care about? Pointless IMHO
There's a NFC tech firm called PayWay that's getting itself established with most of the banks. Guesstimate is 6-12 months before you start seeing more of it. But personally, I'm with GT: DO NOT WANT.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 16th September 2012, 22:48     #11372
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I don't care about NFC for paying for things. Actually, it's better than that - I absolutely do not want to pay for things using NFC.
Agreed.
Old 16th September 2012, 23:06     #11373
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I absolutely do not want to pay for things using NFC.
I could not agree with this more.

Pixie
Old 16th September 2012, 23:13     #11374
Bent

Paying for things with NFC is actually pretty good. I mean, I can't get a credit card without an NFC chip/antenna in this country, so I may as well use it. Yeah, I could drill a hole in just the right place, but until I've seen someone actually steal something and the banks not refunding it in full then I don't actually care. Not sure if I'd want to depend on my phone to do it though.
Old 16th September 2012, 23:35     #11375
ala*

maybe if my phone had a 7 day battery life, then it could replace my wallet.

... IF i thought it was secure, which I probably won't, ever, regardless of who makes it.
Old 17th September 2012, 00:15     #11376
lambchop

yeh well two weeks with out my s3 had me spewing every time i went to jump on a city bus and couldn't check or top up my snapper on the footpath. and thats just the non 2degrees basic nfc stuff you can do with the card.

and nfc isn't just payments anyways ...

can bump phones to kick off wifi direct sessions (sbeam)

can bump to pair bluetooth devices/ headphones etc..

nfc tags to share wifi access .... list goes on, anything that saves me going through a menu is a win.
Old 17th September 2012, 00:22     #11377
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
I'm not convinced ordinary people aren't swayed by specs.
Well... your reasoning is utterly compelling.
Old 17th September 2012, 00:41     #11378
p01s0n

i'm just spitballing here, but what if there was a lightweight, cash-free option for paying for things? and you didn't have to put a pin number in or anything, just swipe n go.

it's a real shame that doesn't exist, better start integrating it into phones.
Old 17th September 2012, 00:58     #11379
CCS
Stunt Pants

I believe Apple has swiping patented. Maybe swiping using all digits on one hand? I don't think that's patented yet.
Old 17th September 2012, 01:06     #11380
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I believe Apple has swiping patented. Maybe swiping using all digits on one hand? I don't think that's patented yet.
kind of like a gesture?
Old 17th September 2012, 01:09     #11381
CCS
Stunt Pants

Nah more like a swipe.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:45     #11382
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Except without holding it like that.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:12     #11383
Baxton

I could see the benefit of NFC for payment of small stuff. having a account linked to it with limited funds.

it's raining, park on the street, swipe the phone near the pay station and carry on. grabbing a beer at the rugby. not ground breaking omg I must have stuff but certainly ease of use
Old 17th September 2012, 12:48     #11384
Cyberbob

Also, lol at DrTiTus's title.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:59     #11385
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Totally agree with Ab on the stupid Samsung ad.

By comparing iPhone to S3 and just saying 'NFC', what the FUCK does that mean to Joe Bloggs?

Until they actually put examples of REAL WORLD USE for features that an Android phone has that an iPhone does not, then no one is going to give a flying fuck.

Focus on WHAT customers can do and WHY they would want to do it.
Stop focussing on HOW the phone has something that nobody understands the practical applications of.

Samsung fail. (again)

"Now with brand new wizbangs! We are the ONLY guys that have these! Uses are currently unknown"
Old 17th September 2012, 13:33     #11386
chiQ
Frag-muff

We need an Apple thread, an Android thread, and an ARRRRGH!!!!PISSOFFTROLL fanboi thread.
Old 17th September 2012, 13:37     #11387
p01s0n

lol no we don't, stop being lame and deal with it
Old 17th September 2012, 13:57     #11388
Pleb'a

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_

700+ hours of standby...hmmm yeah right
So many priorities, none of them "to make calls, and do it well".
Old 17th September 2012, 14:34     #11389
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The results show the iPhone 5's A6 CPU is dual core and clocked at 1GHz, and is paired with 1GB of RAM. Despite the fact that the Samsung Galaxy S3 has a quad core CPU at 1.4GHz, and twice as much RAM, it seems the iPhone 5 is faster than the S3, or any other Android handset

Less RAM, half the number of processor cores, and those cores running slower... yet the IP5 still tops the list, while being smaller and lighter. You won't see this in Apple advertisements though, because Apple knows that no-one in the real world gives a shit. If anyone in the real world gave a shit, the lowest-scoring phone in that chart wouldn't also be the biggest-selling electronic device of all time.
Old 17th September 2012, 14:56     #11390
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
[IMG]trololololol img[/IMG]

Less RAM, half the number of processor cores, and those cores running slower... yet the IP5 still tops the list, while being smaller and lighter. You won't see this in Apple advertisements though, because Apple knows that no-one in the real world gives a shit. If anyone in the real world gave a shit, the lowest-scoring phone in that chart wouldn't also be the biggest-selling electronic device of all time.
Wow nice sauce... "http://www.subarusvx.com/" lol ...

You read "look how much it doesnt matter"!!

Most would read "just manages to be current with something released nearly 3 months ago .... woop dee fucking doo" .. which is in tune with everyone elses (who isnt an iSheep) "meh" reaction to the product.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 17th September 2012, 15:00     #11391
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Those are the Geekbench results from primatelabs, genious.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:06     #11392
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Still thats from your link you used .. crymuch? Get a sense of humour, jesus woman.

I didn't say they were invalid .. or even question them ... however the sauce was lol ... especially the webpage in its full SVX loving glory.... lol (god thats a fucking ugly subaru... )

All I did was point out your coolaide drinking regarding that graph which benchmarks against a 3 month old product. Shit graph is shit ... and apple can't innovate without unky steve (or so it seems).

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 17th September 2012 at 15:08.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:09     #11393
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The fact that the IP5 is is the fastest and best-engineered smartphone in existence is entirely meaningless. No-one in the real world gives a shit.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:17     #11394
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
sauce
This should be fucking perma-ban material. See to it Ab or I'll cancel your email :P
Old 17th September 2012, 15:25     #11395
Baxton

hahahaha when I read that I just assumed sauce was some sort of hip lingo I didnt know about. like it meant crying or something.

in other news it does not matter if the iphone 5 is faster then a phone that is 3 months old for a couple of reasons:
1. it is faster
2. the 3 month old phone is also the current phone
3. it is faster
Old 17th September 2012, 15:31     #11396
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
But those results are irrelevant if they didn't first ssh to the S3, run top -tail /f3 and kill any processes that looked like they might be slowing the phone down!
Old 17th September 2012, 15:35     #11397
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
All I did was point out your coolaide drinking regarding that graph which benchmarks against a 3 month old product. Shit graph is shit ... and apple can't innovate without unky steve (or so it seems).
It's Samsung themselves that advertise feature comparisons of the S3 against the i5, so why can't neutral tech sites do the same. Does Samsung have some cool new phone that the Samsung marketing department doesn't know about?

What that graph actually does, is point out that power is also meaningless, as the lowest scoring on that graph is the worlds best selling device ever.

Technical benchmarks and stats are meaningless when it comes to mobiles. Samsung hasn't figured that out yet.

Sure, some people may get swayed by megapixels in a camera etc, those people are Nokia's market.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 17th September 2012 at 15:37.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:37     #11398
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
hahahaha when I read that I just assumed sauce was some sort of hip lingo I didnt know about. like it meant crying or something.
You would be the closest on that guess
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbo
This should be fucking perma-ban material. See to it Ab or I'll cancel your email :P

Then
get ready to ban a lot of people ... hurrrduurrrr

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 17th September 2012 at 15:39.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:42     #11399
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

In other news... remember when the iPhone 4S blew everyone's minds by selling out of pre-order stock in less than 24 hours?

The iPhone 5 sold out of pre-order stock in 60 minutes over the weekend.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:46     #11400
Cyberbob

The iPhone5 can totally kick the S3's ass on viewable document types and foreign keyboard support.

When will someone compare what really matters, like maximum operating altitude, or operating ambient temperature.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 17th September 2012 at 15:47.