Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 9th September 2008, 13:16     #841
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
Monk never pretended to be a psychic and was never smart assed with his abilities.

Mentalist is smart assed with his abilities.

If you don't see that it's the exact same concept as Psych, with more drama and weight behind the characters and less comedy, then you're blind.
Exact same concept? I doubt you understand the meaning of exact or same if your use here is anything to go by. I don't know about blind, but you are certainly a bit hard of thinking.
The whooshing sound you heard was my point flying over your head - never mind.

Monk never pretended to be a psychic. But he does have incredible observation and deduction skills - similar to the main character of The Mentalist.

The Mentalist's main character never pretended to be a psychic either, except in flashbacks (apparently he once did, but that is not what this show is about) - he plays an FBI agent that openly does not believe in psychics at all, no pretending of any kind.

The main character on Psych is pretending to be a psychic to get police to listen to him. He spends much of each episode going through a lot of pretence. He is not a law enforcement agent and has no authority over and above any other private detective.
Maybe if the main character of Psych stopped pretending to be a psychic and joined the FBI and became a top agent working to hunt serial killers - then yes the shows would have the exact same concept. Until then, they are different, despite some similarities.
Old 9th September 2008, 13:26     #842
cryocore

True Blood.

Liked the pilot ep, and Anna Paquin looks real good in a bikini (in spite of her gappy teeth), even the accent didnt bother me at all. Vampires, swearing, titties, and violence... this could be the next great cable show.
Old 9th September 2008, 13:32     #843
Kryten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I find music selection is definitely getting good these days.. I've noticed it in Weeds & House recently
Supernatural always struck me as having a great selection of music. (edited for better England).

Last edited by Kryten : 9th September 2008 at 13:33.
Old 9th September 2008, 13:36     #844
Solvent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryocore
True Blood.
I'm usually down for anything cable, but vampires? I guess I'll have to pre it but I have to admit the subject/genre isn't usually my thing.

Entourage is on form once again, I just can't see it ever tiring.
Old 9th September 2008, 14:59     #845
Helious

Terminator.The.Sarah.Connor.Chronicles.S02E01.HDTV.XviD-NoTV
Old 9th September 2008, 15:43     #846
Helious

Prison Break S04E03 HDTV XviD-LOL
Old 9th September 2008, 15:47     #847
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
The main character on Psych is pretending to be a psychic to get police to listen to him. He spends much of each episode going through a lot of pretence. He is not a law enforcement agent and has no authority over and above any other private detective.
Maybe if the main character of Psych stopped pretending to be a psychic and joined the FBI and became a top agent working to hunt serial killers - then yes the shows would have the exact same concept. Until then, they are different, despite some similarities.
God, you truly are deluded.

Psych: Independent contractor working with law enforcement buerau having used a fake story about being a psychic to explain his ability to deduce things.

Mentalist: Independent contractor working with law enforcement buerau having previously worked with them under the false pretense of being a psychic on the Red John case, causing the death of his family.

He is STILL an independent contractor to the FBI - not an agent himself, they even state this in the episode.

Yes, these are completely different concepts and there is no way that you can draw a parallel between the two of them.

Monk? Sorry, obsessive compulsive which is why he is picky over detail. Completely different plotline to the other two stories except for the fact that he happens to be solving crime through collection of clues.

Well what do you know, lets tie CSI into it too, huh? And NCIS?

You're an idiot.
Old 9th September 2008, 16:10     #848
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryocore
True Blood.

Liked the pilot ep, and Anna Paquin looks real good in a bikini (in spite of her gappy teeth), even the accent didnt bother me at all. Vampires, swearing, titties, and violence... this could be the next great cable show.
Coming from a Buffy/Angel background to True Blood is like going from CSI to Blue's Clues.

I liked the idea of a new vampire based series, but I realllly didn't think too much of the True Blood pilot at all. I know they're going for the "Vampires are a part of our community" angle to try and separate themselves from the "Vampires are a secret society" cliché, but the characters are so one dimensional and clichés in themselves.
If it survives a full season, then I'll watch it.

On a side note, bring back Dead Like Me

Last edited by Cyberbob : 9th September 2008 at 16:11.
Old 9th September 2008, 16:16     #849
Markh

Quote:
Mentalist: Independent contractor working with law enforcement buerau having previously worked with them under the false pretense of being a psychic on the Red John case, causing the death of his family.
WTF are you on about?
The flashbacks showed him on a TV show talking about the Red John case. But the current situation is that he is not a psychic and is not pretending to be one. You are stuck in the past which in the first episode is only used in a few minutes of flashbacks. That was his past which may have remarkable similarities to the character on Psych - but the show is about what he is currently doing, hopefully they will not make the entire series as flashbacks.

Psych - currently pretending to be a psychic

The Mentalist - Not pretending to be a psychic, currently working as a detective/agent/whatever as an investigator. After bad shit happened in the past he gave up a career as a psychic and became an investigator. He has admitted that he was never a genuine psychic (he did exactly what Psych's main character has never done).

A guy pretending to be a psychic is not the "exact same concept" as a guy that is officially an investigator.

A prequel of The Mentalist or a Sequel of Psych could conceivably use the same concept as the other show - but there are differences in the 2 shows as they stand! Differences = not the "exact same concept". It does seem almost like The Mentalist is a Sequel of Psych set several years later - but that is a different concept to another show using the same concept. Kinda like Smallville is not quite the same concept as Lois & Clark - despite using basically the same central character.

The shows have similarities but only a fuckin' thick bastard (i.e. you) would describe the two as using the "exact same concept". Several similarities does not make 2 things exactly the same. Even a near identical main character separated by several years does not mean the shows have the same concept. I can see a similar, but different concept here.

Quote:
Yes, these are completely different concepts and there is no way that you can draw a parallel between the two of them.
Of course you can draw a parallel between the two of them, there are several similarities after all. Similarities /= Exact Same.

If you lack the intelligence to understand then go back to playing with your plastic blocks or whatever you do when not posting on here.
Old 9th September 2008, 17:31     #850
chiQ
Frag-muff

LOL@caring

Seriously, who cares? Haydos sees parallels you don't give weight to. Does it matter? I see huge similarities between Criminal Minds and House, and do you really care? Wanna fight about it?

Don't feed the troll
Old 9th September 2008, 18:06     #851
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Dexter is a blatant rip-off of CSI Miami. As is Burn Notice.
Old 9th September 2008, 23:34     #852
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
LOL@caring

Seriously, who cares? Haydos sees parallels you don't give weight to. Does it matter? I see huge similarities between Criminal Minds and House, and do you really care? Wanna fight about it?

Don't feed the troll
You are probably right - what do they say "never argue with an idiot, bystanders may not be able to tell the difference" or something like that (I can't be bothered looking it up).

But I would like to say that I DO see the parallels and similarities, what I don't see is that they are the "exact same concept". One show may have even been inspired by the other, but it is still a different concept (maybe a concept evolved from the previous show) despite the similarities.

Maybe I'll just put Haydos on ignore, I am sure I wouldn't be the first to do such a thing.
Old 10th September 2008, 18:01     #853
Haydos

lol.

Look, the fact that you don't see the exact parallel between a guy who used to pretend to be psychic while working for a police agency and a guy who does pretend to be psychic while working for a police agency is just hilarious.

Anyway.

Fringe S01E01 out today, new series along the lines of the X-Files, done by by the creator of Lost - should be interesting.
Old 10th September 2008, 18:21     #854
Nightcrawler

Fringe has promise - watched the pre air
Old 10th September 2008, 18:24     #855
Rocket

Entourage SE5 EP1 was Okay.. last scene hilarious... can't wait to see how hes gunna get back on top. i want him to spend some money... and make a shitload. thats when the show is at its best.
Old 10th September 2008, 20:00     #856
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Fringe S01E01
The pre-air's been out for months. Very uninspired stuff IMO. Disappointing.
Old 10th September 2008, 20:01     #857
Haydos

I thought it was OK.

A little silly with the final plot twist, but I guess it was just establishing the concept of the series. Will be interesting to see if Joshua Jackson can throw off his stereotypes and play this type of role.
Old 10th September 2008, 20:18     #858
Nuclear

Apparently the aired version of the Fringe pilot is different to the preair. A couple of extra scenes and some better digital effects I think...
Old 10th September 2008, 21:25     #859
chiQ
Frag-muff

So far I like true blood after one, but am not counting on the appeal lasting a whole season. I can imagine it getting old fast, but won't make a call until I've seen more than one episode.

Entourage owns me. I watched season one this afternoon. I don't think the other seasons will last long.
Old 10th September 2008, 21:43     #860
Solvent

Yeah, I had a fairly tepid reaction to True Blood, although in fairness it's not really my thing in the first place. Still, I'll watch the next, it is HBO.
Old 11th September 2008, 13:56     #861
ceer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
On a side note, bring back Dead Like Me

I really liked that series...liked Reaper as well.
Old 11th September 2008, 14:00     #862
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

True Blood was ok, nothing great, but I'll watch it cos it's something out of the ordinary i.e. not a police procedural drama
Old 11th September 2008, 14:03     #863
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
Terminator.The.Sarah.Connor.Chronicles.S02E01.HDTV.XviD-NoTV
I was "meh" for 99% of the episode, thinking that I might not bother with this for teh rest of the season, but that last scene..... "woah", I'll ignore the inconsistencies, and just take it for what it is, a great hook for S2.
Old 11th September 2008, 15:34     #864
JP

Ok, need some new tv shows. Give me some ideas peeps! Will list a few of my recent favourite shows.

The office, heroes, skins, firefly, Arrested development, the IT crowd. That kinda thing.

Really would love to find another awesome series like Heroes. Yeah the second season got fucked up by the writers strike, but man me and the missus watched the entire season 1 in like a week, totally hooked. Would like to find another show like that.

Also on the look for other comedies in the vein of the ones I mentioned.
Old 11th September 2008, 15:43     #865
Asriel

JP: Peep show, Garth Marengis Darkplace
Old 11th September 2008, 16:11     #866
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
the IT crowd. That kinda thing.

Also on the look for other comedies in the vein of the ones I mentioned.
You could try 'Lab Rats' - UK comedy, quite funny.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:29     #867
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
done by by the creator of Lost
These days, that description is enough to have me vow to never ever watch the show in question.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:36     #868
herp

Just finished Generation Kill, that was excellent, nothing on the Wire but David Simon/Ed Burns can do no wrong at the moment. Looking forward to Treme whenever that will come out.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:36     #869
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
These days, that description is enough to have me vow to never ever watch the show in question.
Yeah, I get the impression it's another pointless trip down the garden path with your guides, Bad Robot Productions.
Old 12th September 2008, 00:18     #870
ceer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asriel
JP: Peep show, Garth Marengis Darkplace
Yes....both excellent!

Darkplace is just brilliant.....just...brilliant!
Old 15th September 2008, 18:39     #871
Helious

True Blood S01E02 HDTV XviD-0TV
Old 15th September 2008, 20:56     #872
Solvent

Still no 720p for Sons of Anarchy episode two, how can I possibly watch a filthy DSR?
Old 15th September 2008, 21:23     #873
Helious

Enjoying True Blood so far. The sex scenes make it all the worth while ;p
Old 15th September 2008, 21:26     #874
Solvent

Heh, indeed, the only reason I'm going to watch the second episode is due to the fact it's on HBO. Anything with the same subject matter on a network would be unbearable.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:09     #875
Helious

Thumbs up

House.S05E01.HDTV.XviD-NoTV

yay
Old 17th September 2008, 18:59     #876
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
House.S05E01.HDTV.XviD-NoTV

yay
Fuckin' Sweeeeet
Old 17th September 2008, 19:00     #877
Haydos

Fringe out today too.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:41     #878
Asriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceer
Yes....both excellent!

Darkplace is just brilliant.....just...brilliant!
Yeah, darkplaces is crazy. I'd love to see some more of Matthew Holness's work.

True Blood sounds pretty interesting.

Last edited by Asriel : 17th September 2008 at 19:43.
Old 17th September 2008, 20:00     #879
Delphinus

Quote:
Fringe out today too.
What was that last shot?
Old 17th September 2008, 21:16     #880
Helious

Quote:
Fringe out today too.
watching first episode now~