Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 30th November 2008, 10:41     #8401
BloodDonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Dipshits that take a trolley through the NW self-serve checkouts. I know there isn't a sign that expressly forbids it, but I would've thought that with four checkouts being 2 on each side of a reasonably narrow aisle it would be common sense not to take your trolley there. I haven't had the misfortune yet of getting stuck behind some cunt with a massive trolley (yet) but I've seen it. Now maybe I'm crazy, but... like... I tend to think the self-serve concept is ideal for a basket of items where you swipe that shit and go without having to make small talk. It's probably quicker to take your GIANT FUCKING TROLLEY to a normal checkout where they'll actually have a person bagging and one person scanning.
ive only seen the self service checkouts in 2 supermarkets, and both say 15 items or less

Old 30th November 2008, 10:43     #8402
crocos

Did he say the person had more than 15 (or 10, or 12, depending on the supermarket) items? No.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 30th November 2008, 10:46     #8403
Evoke

got a letter from salvation army asking for money.. addressed directly to me, at my address, my name written out in full.. what gives? How would they get it? I don't mind charity mail when it's just fishing for donations, but addressing it directly to someone is a bit hinky.
Old 30th November 2008, 10:52     #8404
crocos

It won't be directly from the Sallies; It'll be some direct-marketing crowd that has managed to weasel/purchase/been given your details from an outfit that you've done business with before.

Old 30th November 2008, 11:00     #8405
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Dipshits that take a trolley through the NW self-serve checkouts. I know there isn't a sign that expressly forbids it, but I would've thought that with four checkouts being 2 on each side of a reasonably narrow aisle it would be common sense not to take your trolley there. I haven't had the misfortune yet of getting stuck behind some cunt with a massive trolley (yet) but I've seen it. Now maybe I'm crazy, but... like... I tend to think the self-serve concept is ideal for a basket of items where you swipe that shit and go without having to make small talk. It's probably quicker to take your GIANT FUCKING TROLLEY to a normal checkout where they'll actually have a person bagging and one person scanning.
also, dumbfucks who attempt to be in the express lanes with obviously more than 10-15 items. and then act offended/ignorant when i ask them to move to a different aisle.
Old 30th November 2008, 12:12     #8406
BloodDonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Did he say the person had more than 15 (or 10, or 12, depending on the supermarket) items? No.
no, but these supermarkets have figured out alot of people dont have common sense, and thus, tell you what to do... still, ive seen people with way more than 12 items at the local supermarket's normal express lines.... THAT GMG

Old 30th November 2008, 12:57     #8407
Biff

WTF!!! http://www.heelarious.com/
Old 30th November 2008, 13:04     #8408
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Hmm, 2nd of 2 identical model hard drives failing, about 3 weeks after the first

I think when I get the replacement for this one I'll raid mirror them.. I know it's not a real backup solution, but it beats having to reinstall Windows again
Old 30th November 2008, 13:10     #8409
BloodDonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Hmm, 2nd of 2 identical model hard drives failing, about 3 weeks after the first

I think when I get the replacement for this one I'll raid mirror them.. I know it's not a real backup solution, but it beats having to reinstall Windows again

Acronis True Image

get it

Old 30th November 2008, 13:29     #8410
Cereal Killar

Quote:

What make and model were the drives out of interest?
Old 30th November 2008, 13:39     #8411
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killar
What make and model were the drives out of interest?
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, around 7 months old..
Old 30th November 2008, 15:08     #8412
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Simmonds
Get a 30" Dell instead. 24" is the corolla of monitors these days.
That would be one of those Core 2 Duo Dell monitors with gigabit ethernet, 802.11n wifi, bluetooth, firewire 400 and 800, a built-in ATI Radeon, half a terabit of internal SATA storage, and running OS X, right? Awesome, that's just what I'm after.
Old 30th November 2008, 15:32     #8413
Wally Simmonds

Ahh, I see now. Forgive me for not being familiar with Apple products =/
Old 30th November 2008, 15:34     #8414
crocos

I'm not familiar with apple products, but that's just rank ignorance!

Old 30th November 2008, 15:51     #8415
JAYJAY

Quote:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, around 7 months old..
500GB Model by chance? I just RMA'd the 1st one a week ago after it died. I have a second one which has just had an OS install shit itself. Reinstalled and so far so good.

and yer, about 7 months old.
Old 30th November 2008, 16:12     #8416
BillHague

Sticking plasters in public swimming pools.

I think that they subscribe to the buttered toast/cat anti gravity theorem, as they manage to neither sink to the bottom nor float to the top, but seem to prefer to remain suspended half-way, right at mouth-level.
Old 30th November 2008, 16:32     #8417
LordP

Very angry

My computer dying (or at least, not behaving very nicely) is currently grinding my gears >:(
Old 30th November 2008, 17:04     #8418
chiQ
Frag-muff

I'm working and it's awesomely sunny, contrary to what crocos might say.

BillHague: you swim in some seriously shallow or seriously deep pools!*

* Not sure whether mouth level is when you're swimming along the top of the water, or standing up in it.

Last edited by chiQ : 30th November 2008 at 17:05.
Old 30th November 2008, 17:26     #8419
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

wow, pc problems everywhere - i just did a memtest on my girlfriends laptop, which has been blue screening for a while now. 2600+ errors so far, and its only 20% in.
Old 30th November 2008, 18:08     #8420
Wally Simmonds

Working OT that I can't charge for. I've been here for 7 hours, and I can only charge for 3.
Old 30th November 2008, 18:09     #8421
crocos

Leave.

If you're not getting paid, don't work.

Old 30th November 2008, 18:13     #8422
ZengE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
wow, pc problems everywhere - i just did a memtest on my girlfriends laptop, which has been blue screening for a while now. 2600+ errors so far, and its only 20% in.
Why bother waiting for the other 80%
Old 30th November 2008, 19:28     #8423
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

morbid curiosity?

anyway, cancelled and restarted it a few times - now its got no errors, and windows is booting. im at a loss.
Old 30th November 2008, 19:56     #8424
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
anyway, cancelled and restarted it a few times - now its got no errors, and windows is booting. im at a loss.
WTF? This is going to sound n00b, but have you checked to see the contacts on the RAM are not gunked up?

If not, then possible explanations also include:

Motherboard dying = New Mobo
CPU dying = new CPU
BIOS slightly corrupt = try reflashing BIOS to latest stable version from manufacturer.

Old 30th November 2008, 20:06     #8425
Cyberbob

Quote:
Leave.

If you're not getting paid, don't work.
Working on fixed quotes for the lose?

If he had a fixed quote of 3 hours, and it's taken 7, he can't charge for 7
Old 30th November 2008, 21:21     #8426
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Working on fixed quotes for the lose?

If he had a fixed quote of 3 hours, and it's taken 7, he can't charge for 7
You sir are obviously not a designer, because no designer who has ever charged me for work has adhered to your philosophy.
Old 30th November 2008, 21:39     #8427
Wally Simmonds

Well, in this instance I would normally just charge for the hours worked - but the project lead and myself have already screwed up the change twice already (not really anyone's fault, but I digress) so I can't expect to charge the customer again.
Old 30th November 2008, 23:21     #8428
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodDonor
ive only seen the self service checkouts in 2 supermarkets, and both say 15 items or less
True? I'll have to have a look next time.

Quote:
Uhhh... I think it was pretty obvious for anyone with half a brain that I was suggesting they had a lot of items in their trolley. Poor crocos.
Old 30th November 2008, 23:37     #8429
BloodDonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
True? I'll have to have a look next time.

that was pak n save, and new world south city, both in invercargill... seeing as i dont get out of wanaka much, they were a novelty

Old 1st December 2008, 10:16     #8430
dylan
Huh?

Very angry

Invercargill: where you can't buy wine at supermarkets. That ground my gears last year, now that I think about it
Old 1st December 2008, 10:21     #8431
BloodDonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
Invercargill: where you can't buy wine at supermarkets. That ground my gears last year, now that I think about it

yeah it sucks that you cant, but the ILT does alot for the community, so its a tradeoff

Old 1st December 2008, 10:22     #8432
[Malks] Pixie

People who put things in our national publication saying, "if you'd like a copy of xyz please contact abc and he will organise a copy for you". Now thats all well and fine but it would have been nice if somebody had let me know, or told me where to obtain xyz...

Pixie
Old 1st December 2008, 10:43     #8433
Asriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Is it still chaos with their renovating/expanding?

I have been going to Sylvia Park Pak'n'Save to avoid the hassle, once Royal Oak Pak'n'Save is all sorted then I will probably go back to shopping there.
Yeah, that was an extreme hassle. They've pretty much got it under control now, just minor asthetic things still to do up.
Old 1st December 2008, 10:58     #8434
BadNova

Foodtown appealing AGAIN to stop pak & save wairau opening AGAIN. They've been doing this shit for what, 15 years or so now?
Old 1st December 2008, 11:07     #8435
Jonas Undrawing

i thought pak n save wairau got the green light? Foodtown is STILL pulling their shit? Fuck supermarkets! fuck em!
Old 1st December 2008, 11:36     #8436
LordP

Why are they appealing?
Old 1st December 2008, 11:42     #8437
Genesis

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...8-1242,00.html

I hold a special type of rage for stories like this. How people continue to get away with bullying to this degree is beyond me.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:45     #8438
BadNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP
Why are they appealing?
Pretty much because they don't want the competition from pak & save. They've been dragging their heels through the legal process for YEARS, appealing again and again and again, to keep them from opening.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:49     #8439
Jonas Undrawing

i think their reason is something stupid like big yellow pak n save would look ugly in a place like wairau rd. Be visible from the motorway etc etc. Which is stupid because wairau park is a big ugly industrial mess anyway. Fact is, Foodtown is just being a very sore loser because they were bidding on the same plot of land to build a store.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:52     #8440
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYJAY
500GB Model by chance?
Yes