NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 12th October 2009, 19:19     #801
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Right now I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy towards Key, because he had the balls to say no to partnership with this fucking parasite:
Quote:
NZ First leader Winston Peters is back with all guns blazing today in a speech slamming immigration, foreign ownership and the Government.

Saying NZ First would be fighting the 2011 election to save the country, Mr Peters returned with relish to his old themes of immigration and foreign investment.

The comments were made in speech notes for delivery to the Kawerau and Districts Grey Power meeting this afternoon.

New Zealand had suffered a "tsunami" of immigrants, he said, and large scale immigration could not be justified when 140,000 people were out of work.
Winston Peters? check.
Dirty immigrants tuk er jeb speech? check.
To a Grey Power meeting? check.

The reference to immigration as a "tsunami" is just icing on the cake, because the only people who'll be offended probably have brown skin anyway, so fuck them, they should go home and leave NZ to good honest white retirees.

Winston 2011! Winston 2011!
Old 12th October 2009, 19:47     #802
chubby

muh

A few quotes from John Key – pre election

“National will have policies that reflect the fact that living on a diet of carbon will be increasingly bad – bad for the world and bad for our economy. We will have policy that encourages ‘climate friendly’ choices like windmills, hydro power and tree planting, and reduces the desire for ‘climate unfriendly’ behaviours, like burning coal”

“Any political party with an eye to New Zealand’s future success must pursue policies that protect and promote our environmental assets.”

“National will provide Kiwis with good signals about the cars that are the best for the environment. We will do this by ensuring our emission and noise standards for new vehicles keep up with international standards and practices and by introducing more sophisticated emissions and noise testing for existing vehicles. If Kiwis have a highly polluting or excessively noisy car, we think they should know about it and have an incentive to do something about it”

“National proudly shares many of your values: like you, we want to protect our unique native species. We want our children and grandchildren to be able to swim in our rivers and lakes. We believe in sound environmental science. We are committed to high environmental standards”

“Government policy decisions over the next few years will have consequences that keep reverberating not just for the next 10 or 20 years but for the next 50 and beyond. So it’s vital we get them right.”

and lastly:

“We should always measure a government’s environmental rhetoric against its environmental record”
Old 12th October 2009, 19:48     #803
chubby

Laugh

and then.... the actions

* Announced ETS Review to find out if climate change is real
* Repealed Biofuel Bill, including sustainability standard
* Scrapped “Love NZ” public place recycling
* Scrapped $1bn insulation fund
* Introduced the Resource Management (Simplifying and Streamlining) Amendment Act, which, amongst other things, prohibits councils from making general rules about trimming or felling trees.
* Hiked the fee for commencing appeal or inquiry proceedings in the Environment Court from $55 to $500, so community groups can’t afford to file against environmentally damaging projects.
* Cut funding to Enviroschools
* Cut funding to the Department of Conservation, including natural heritage management
* Cut funding to the Ministry for the Environment
* Cut funding for fisheries sustainability, biosecurity
* Refused to stop the import of palm kernel, despite overwhelming evidence and public outcry
* Opposed (and killed) Marine Animals Bill
* Introduced terrible ETS Bill
* Budget for environmental education: cancelled.
* Renewable electricity preference: cancelled.
* Energy Efficiency and Conservation Strategy: cancelled
* Fuel economy standards for cars entering New Zealand: cancelled
* Minimum energy performance standards for appliances: seriously delayed
* DoC’s budget: cut by $13.5m/year
* Plans to mine in National Parks
Old 12th October 2009, 20:04     #804
crocos

Chubby: You really do pick odd axes to grind. That shit was known even while they were still pimping the tax-cuts: Anyone looking at them that had the slightest bit of nous was aware it wasn't going to fly.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 12th October 2009, 20:15     #805
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Chubby: You really do pick odd axes to grind. That shit was known even while they were still pimping the tax-cuts: Anyone looking at them that had the slightest bit of nous was aware it wasn't going to fly.
So you knew he was lieing then?
Old 12th October 2009, 20:18     #806
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis
So you knew he was lieing then?
That's "lying", and it's more I didn't believe they were practical, logical, or even likely. Well, that and I by-default assume most election promises aren't really worth the effort to even listen to.

Old 12th October 2009, 20:23     #807
chubby

^^ but you bother participating in the whole 'democracy' thing?
you get a sandy flange over labours performance?
you endorse deceitful leaders?
Old 12th October 2009, 20:30     #808
adonis

Quote:
That's "lying", and it's more I didn't believe they were practical, logical, or even likely. Well, that and I by-default assume most election promises aren't really worth the effort to even listen to.
Oh, so you just thought he was incompetent. Awesome. Yeah I lean that way myself.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:46     #809
chubby

Quote:

and anyway.... mebbe you knew it, mebbe i knew it, mebbe lots of kiwis knew it- but they still got in, and theres still a whole bunch of retards around here who believe they're doing a good job. it gives me pleasure to log some of that shit.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:49     #810
plaz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
i seem to recall that 'nice mr key' saying that there was enough waste in the public service to create a decent tax cut for all you kiwi battlers.
WRONG.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...er-consultants
300k isn't a huge amount to spend, assuming they deliver -- find 4 or 5 seat-warmers to cut loose and you make that back in a year. No complaints here.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:20     #811
chubby

they didnt find any particular seat warmers. anyway- the impression deliberately given pre-election was of a grossly profligate service that was costing new zealanders hugely, and unnecessarily.

dont worry- ill update in two years. and i guarantee that the usual pattern of govt expenditure under the right(that is, a huge influx of highly paid consultants and many undeserved subsidies.... on the taxpayer) will have been continued.

Last edited by chubby : 12th October 2009 at 21:25.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:28     #812
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
they didnt find any particular seat warmers
Come on, you're just making that up. It doesn't say that ANYWHERE in the article. In fact the article says that "the Government has refused to say how much spending the consultants saved, but defended the outlay which saved taxpayers 'a considerable amount of money'".
Old 12th October 2009, 21:37     #813
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Come on, you're just making that up. It doesn't say that ANYWHERE in the article. In fact the article says that "the Government has refused to say how much spending the consultants saved, but defended the outlay which saved taxpayers 'a considerable amount of money'".
When the government refuses to provide a discrete figure for something that has a discrete figure, it's either because they don't know, or they do know, but it's not a good look.

TBH, bringing in outside consultants to razor gang government departments never works, as the people who are know where the real inefficiencies lie are the people within the departments, and they don't get asked.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:38     #814
plaz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
the people who are know where the real inefficiencies lie are the people within the departments, and they don't get asked.
true.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:40     #815
chubby

(ab) d'ya think they should be required to tell us what we just bought?
i mean, come on... can you imagine this bunch of dicks playing it cool if they found gross waste? especially if it confirmed their electioneering bullshit?
Old 13th October 2009, 01:04     #816
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Latest Roy Morgan poll numbers:

National Party 57.5% (up 6%)
Maori Party 2.5% (unchanged)
ACT NZ 1.5% (down 0.5 %)

Labour Party 28% (down 5.5%)
Greens 6.5% (down 1%)
NZ First 2% (down 0.5%)
United Future 1% (up 1%)
Others 1% (up 1%)

Government Confidence Rating is at 155.5 (up 12.5 points and the highest recorded) with 72% (up 4.5%) of New Zealanders saying New Zealand is ‘heading in the right direction’ compared to 16.5% (down 8%) that say New Zealand is ‘heading in the wrong direction.’
Old 13th October 2009, 03:09     #817
MrTTTT

essentially highlights how much this country is full of stupid farmer assholes
Old 13th October 2009, 07:09     #818
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTTT
essentially highlights how much this country is full of stupid
fixed.
Old 13th October 2009, 08:33     #819
Dusty

Sometimes I feel like Grimey. Frustration at the rest of NZ's inability to see the idiocy of John Key while thinking, "everything's pretty good eh!"

I mean, banning over the counter sales of cold and flu medicine!?!? What's next? Requiring a hunting license to buy kitchen knives??
Old 13th October 2009, 09:42     #820
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!
Old 13th October 2009, 10:08     #821
FaTBoB

Bill English
""Our pitch to them simply was that we are coming out of recession better than most, we need to borrow $40 billion over the next three to four years, we have got a high credit rating and we are willing to adapt to the market needs to make the debt attractive."

That is a reference to a few technical conditions that appeal to lenders.

Mr English was confident New Zealand would have no trouble raising the debt, though it would be paying a fair amount for it."

---------------------------------------------------
The Prime Minister says MPs using Crown money to pay rent on privately owned electorate offices are saving the taxpayer money.

The Dominion Post reported on Saturday that an investigation showed seven MPs had bought properties they used as out-of-Wellington offices, billing the taxpayer for the rent.

Some were owned in the MPs' own name, while others were held through superannuation funds or companies. The loophole allowed them to walk away with substantial capital gains, the paper said.

John Key was one of the MPs named. Yesterday, he told journalists he and other MPs were "subsidising the taxpayer".
-----------------------------------------------

LOL , every day National keep us amused.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:43     #822
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

...yet their approval ratings keep climbing.
Old 13th October 2009, 13:04     #823
BoyWonder

And chubby and fatbob are getting laaaaarrrger!

Old 13th October 2009, 13:04     #824
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Because of populist measures. Whether those populist measures accomplish anything is another matter.

Case in point, the highlighting to the media of hey, not all the ACC reforms are bad, people injured while being criminals won't be able to claim anymore.

Popular? Yes. Save money? Fuck no. Claims made by people injured in burglarising or what not make up about 2/5ths of fuck all in the ACC scheme of things. (Which works out to 'fuc' and like 0.6 of a 'k'.)
Old 13th October 2009, 13:16     #825
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTBoB
LOL , every day National keep us amused.
You act like labor MPs aren't out dicking the tax payer either.

Lets face it, MPs are lying, thieving, slimy little shits. Does it make me angry? Yes. Anything you can do about it? Not really.
Old 13th October 2009, 13:27     #826
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
You act like labor MPs aren't out dicking the tax payer either.

Lets face it, MPs are lying, thieving, slimy little shits. Does it make me angry? Yes. Anything you can do about it? Not really.
The system works!
Old 13th October 2009, 13:39     #827
FaTBoB

hard to fathom, at the same time as they sell off state housing they are looking at introducing property tax on secondary properties, making investment properties unattractive for small investors, after a period of adjustment there will be a lack of rental accomodation, what then?

high density low cost housing provided by corporations with government subsides, you know like NWS is doing,
Every company Key has worked for has ended up bankrupt because of bad policy, short term gains at the expense of long term stability.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0702-d6a5.html
NSW govt acknowledges rental shortage
PATRICK CARUANA
July 2, 2009

The NSW government says fundamental reform is needed in the rental sector due to the shortage of available properties across the state.
------->
Federal Housing Minister Tanya Plibersek said Canberra was serious about easing the strain on the rental market.

"Since we were elected, we have committed more than $20 billion to housing measures," Ms Plibersek said.
---->
http://www.smh.com.au/national/famil...0815-elpp.html
Ms Cripps blamed the lack of low-cost housing in NSW on the increasing number of families unable to find secure homes. More than 30,000 people have been put into temporary accommodation in hotels and motels over the past 12 months at a cost to the NSW Government of about $100 a night.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:31     #828
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Houses currently held as investment/rentals won't mysteriously disappear overnight. They may just not be quite so criminally profitable anymore.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:36     #829
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
They may just not be quite so criminally profitable anymore.
I'm guessing you don't have any investment properties.

Old 13th October 2009, 14:58     #830
FaTBoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Houses currently held as investment/rentals won't mysteriously disappear overnight. They may just not be quite so criminally profitable anymore.
The idea being talked about is a 4% tax on registored valuation, removes all incentive to own rental as apposed to investing in shares or term deposites.

As I said after a period of adjustment only the big boys will be able to provide rental, and as the example of NSW shows taxes will then be funnelled to them, opertunities for small investors disappear leaving you and me to "invest" in large entities that cream the profit while also recieving our taxes, bent and raped.

Key is a corporate player and we are his bitch, he is fucking us left right and center, some of you love the cock, when he cock slaps you in the face and walks away you better not be all "but you said you loved me" cause I'm telling you now, he don't, this is just business old school, look at his smirk and tell me I'm wrong.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:02     #831
Reformed_Quint

Are there any other countries in the world which don't have a capital gains tax?
Old 13th October 2009, 15:22     #832
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The word on the street is that Labour got us into this recession . . . but National is getting us out of it.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:49     #833
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
The word on the street is that Labour got us into this recession . . . but National is getting us out of it.
And the truth is that neither of them had anything to really do with either :-)

Pixie
Old 13th October 2009, 15:55     #834
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

John Key smiles too much. Kind of the opposite of Helen who always looked sour no matter what.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:16     #835
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

smiling Helen scared me.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:36     #836
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
John Key smiles too much. Kind of the opposite of Helen who always looked sour no matter what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
smiling Helen scared me.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 13th October 2009, 16:46     #837
WeaselMonkey

Laugh

Quote:
Key is a corporate player and we are his bitch, he is fucking us left right and center, some of you love the cock, when he cock slaps you in the face and walks away you better not be all "but you said you loved me" cause I'm telling you now, he don't, this is just business old school, look at his smirk and tell me I'm wrong.
oh lordy, this is quite possibly the best piece of writing ever
Old 13th October 2009, 16:54     #838
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Please do because I'm at a loss with you rambling off random statements about recessions.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...uth-sunderland
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
If banking and usury were a corrupting and corrosive influence on society after the invention of double-entry bookkeeping in medieval Italy, how much more so now. Research published this weekend by the Centre for Research on Socio-Cultural Change (Cresc) at Manchester University characterises the industry as a great transaction-generating machine that has created social and economic relations dysfunctional for everyone apart from an elite few bankers.
They're the ones who caused the recessions.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:58     #839
ZoSo

Gotta say, what a fucking mess they're making of the Rugby rights.
Kind of feel sorry for MaoriTV as they could have easily done the job. They're a good channel in regards to sports. Code ftw.
Old 13th October 2009, 21:45     #840
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
The idea being talked about is a 4% tax on registored valuation, removes all incentive to own rental as apposed to investing in shares or term deposites.

As I said after a period of adjustment only the big boys will be able to provide rental, and as the example of NSW shows taxes will then be funnelled to them, opertunities for small investors disappear leaving you and me to "invest" in large entities that cream the profit while also recieving our taxes, bent and raped.

I haven't thought this through too much but wouldn't this in turn lead to house prices over-all dropping? Surely if no one's incentivised (or actively disencentivised) to buy second or more houses, that would greatly reduce demand for property, leading to a drop in prices for 'first home' type houses that would be suited to invest-rental properties. Sure, it'll also mean lots of properties that would have been retirement second-homes would also be ownerless, but I understand this is already an issue now, with people jumping at buying beach-side retirement type property in the last couple of years pre-crash, and now stuck with them well before they historically would be, so they're having issues like paying them off while still paying off the mortgage on their primary residence.

(of course what I actually think would happen, and have said this for years, is that there will inevitably be a small group of companies buying most of the property in NZ, and we'll all rent from them. They'll keep house prices high by paying more than your average salaryman can afford(not as part of a conspiracy, but just as a matter of course - reasonable prices being relative), thus keeping more and more lower-to-middle income earners from ever buying their first homes)