Password

Old 12th September 2010, 12:31     #41
Xanatos
Antagonist Prime

A modest proposal:

80% of salary for first 3 months after unplanned loss of employment
50% of salary for another 3 months
Current dole for 6 months
State provided housing, food, education, travel for job opportunities and clothing indefinitely, zero cash.
Old 12th September 2010, 13:00     #42
crocos

I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

However I can picture this not working with the more liberal elements that will want to treat (as a single example of many) vacation as a right.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 12th September 2010, 13:01     #43
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos
State provided housing, food, education, travel for job opportunities and clothing indefinitely, zero cash.
I'm interested in how this would work short of the Govt. dictating what someone can and can't specifically spend their vouchers? on at a designated supermarket.

My point being that cigarettes, alcohol and lotto aren't illegal, what about entertainment (dvds, swimming pool on weekend, movies etc), traveling to visit family, ice-cream from dairy etc etc etc.
Old 12th September 2010, 13:09     #44
cyc
Objection!

These sorts of proposals always make me want to chuckle. The thing I find the most funny is that people will so incessantly focus on the so called dole bludgers whilst ignoring the fact that the babyboomers and grey power types will be or are already committing plunder of a far, far worse scale than the dole bludgers have ever pulled off. But hey "I PAID MY TAXES!!" is the typical defence for this kind of thing, it's just a pity that the average grey power type takes far more out of the rest of us in health care and rest home care than they ever put in, same for this generation of babyboomers when they pull a universal penion down from 65 till probably 85+.

Last edited by cyc : 12th September 2010 at 13:11.
Old 12th September 2010, 19:50     #45
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
the average grey power type takes far more out of the rest of us in FREE TRANSPORT TO THEIR WAIHEKE BEACH PROPERTIES than they ever put in, same for this generation of babyboomers when they pull a universal penion down from 65 till probably 85+.
fixed
Old 16th September 2010, 15:22     #46
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
These sorts of proposals always make me want to chuckle. The thing I find the most funny is that people will so incessantly focus on the so called dole bludgers whilst ignoring the fact that the babyboomers and grey power types will be or are already committing plunder of a far, far worse scale than the dole bludgers have ever pulled off. But hey "I PAID MY TAXES!!" is the typical defence for this kind of thing, it's just a pity that the average grey power type takes far more out of the rest of us in health care and rest home care than they ever put in, same for this generation of babyboomers when they pull a universal penion down from 65 till probably 85+.
It's massively hypocritical of them to want to focus on dole bludgers when they will effectively be on welfare for 20 years plus come retirement. I'm just echoing cyc here but I thought it was worth repeating.

Didn't the National Govt introduce means testing for the pension some years ago then Labour canned it to get a bunch of votes?

Bring back asset testing on the pension IMO.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:32     #47
fixed_truth

It's also ridiculous that people still think that simply cutting people off is a viable solution to unemployment. Never mind the root of the problem.
Old 16th September 2010, 16:04     #48
Lightspeed

The geezers are gonna reap what they've sown, no doubt. And I'm pretty sure that's not going to be a comfy retirement. The world is poor and only getting poorer.

Seems like it'll be an interesting fight, between geezers trying to keep their money and gen xyz'ers who want to try and build a future (or buy spinning rims.)